This topic is locked from further discussion.

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts

My roomie and I are looking at some gameplay vids/reviews of DayZ, and I'm wondering what the community thinks of it. Considering we'd have to spend 30$ on getting ARMA II and the exp. pack.

So, for those who still play it, is it worth it?

Nick3306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Nick3306
Member since 2007 • 3429 Posts
They are working on a standalone version, wait for that. The mod is full of hackers as of right now.
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#3 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Yes, I still play it alot, had it since it first came out. The latest update was nice, the new maps are fun and I can wait for the standalone next month :D

Alot of the hacking issues are gone now also which is awesome (havnt seen any in just over a month now)

I would still wait for the standalone version though, comes out very soon.

SharkheadHD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SharkheadHD
Member since 2012 • 227 Posts

Wait for the standalone. The Arma II + Day Z Mod is practically $1 per GB. That's right - the file size is 30GB in total. It's also very buggy. Like I said, wait.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

It's worth it, unless if you're fine waiting a month or two to play one of the best games on PC ;) Really, I'd just get it now if you're interested. If you're smart, you can get DayZ running for under $10.

DayZ has come a long way in the last few months, so a lot of people who've made judgments on the game likely haven't even played the game in a representable state. For example: The people who say it's full of hackers don't know what they're talking about - I haven't seen a single hacker in the last month of playing. And they just patched the game too so that it's running very solid and will give you a very good idea of what the stand-alone will be like.

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 chrisrooR

It's worth it, unless if you're fine waiting a month or two to play one of the best games on PC ;) Really, I'd just get it now if you're interested. If you're smart, you can get DayZ running for under $10.

DayZ has come a long way in the last few months, so a lot of people who've made judgments on the game likely haven't even played the game in a representable state. For example: The people who say it's full of hackers don't know what they're talking about - I haven't seen a single hacker in the last month of playing. And they just patched the game too so that it's running very solid and will give you a very good idea of what the stand-alone will be like.

KHAndAnime
haha well, my housemate just bought it...so I may follow suit after a bit more studying. Seems like an enjoyable experience, albeit a tense one.
chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 chrisrooR
^^And how would you get it working for under 10$?
Blueflame0424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Blueflame0424
Member since 2004 • 108 Posts

Worth it 100%. There are hackers you may or may not encounter. Some are nice and give others items to help out while others just kill. There are many servers where admins are constantly on and stopping hackers so you just need to find the right servers. Try and play with friends as it makes it much easier to survive longer. Learn the map and spawns quickly so if you die you can meet up quickly. It's an amazing mod. The standalone version is coming out by the end of this year and will have more updates and better hacker protection.

Nick3306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Nick3306
Member since 2007 • 3429 Posts
^^And how would you get it working for under 10$?chrisrooR
Well you need both arma 2 and operation arrowhead, but the free version of arma 2 works in place of arma 2 so you only have to buy operation arrowhead.
chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 chrisrooR
[QUOTE="chrisrooR"]^^And how would you get it working for under 10$?Nick3306
Well you need both arma 2 and operation arrowhead, but the free version of arma 2 works in place of arma 2 so you only have to buy operation arrowhead.

Would the free version be compatible with mods? http://www.arma2.com/free Says on the bottom of the screen that it isn't
with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#11 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

One big question I have about the stand alone version is whether it will support custom maps. I'd say both Lingor and Namalsk are just as good, and in some ways better, than chernerous.

If not, there might be reason to get the mod version instead of the stane alone.