Is Cryostasis worth buying (Steam sale)?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts

Is this game worth picking up? It's on Steam for £7.50 at the moment, and the demo is taking an age to download.

CellAnimation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 CellAnimation
Member since 2007 • 6116 Posts
It depends on what you want out of the game. It's a slow paced suspense/story based game. Personally I think it's well worth playing but YMMV.
gamer082009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 gamer082009
Member since 2007 • 6679 Posts

Is this game worth picking up? It's on Steam for £7.50 at the moment, and the demo is taking an age to download.

dommeus
Definitely..it's nice game with a great story.
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts

Awesome game...garbage optimazation, make sure you got a powerfull cpu!!!

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 dakan45
[QUOTE="dommeus"]

gamer082009
Definitely..it's nice game with a great story.

Sorry for posting this, but i asked the same question on another thread and it was not answered: "I did not understand anything at the end, what is the story about? Please explain...."
Avatar image for deactivated-5b5d7639964d6
deactivated-5b5d7639964d6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5b5d7639964d6
Member since 2008 • 8225 Posts

**** YES, **** YES, **** YES.

That means yes, it is.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5b5d7639964d6
[QUOTE="dakan45"] Sorry for posting this, but i asked the same question on another thread and it was not answered: "I did not understand anything at the end, what is the story about? Please explain...."

Much of it is open to personal interpretation. If you didn't get it then think harder.
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 dakan45

[QUOTE="dakan45"] Sorry for posting this, but i asked the same question on another thread and it was not answered: "I did not understand anything at the end, what is the story about? Please explain...."ZuluEcho14
Much of it is open to personal interpretation. If you didn't get it then think harder.

SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I still dont get it, So this guy can somehow go back in time and posses bodies in order to change the present/future....whatever, like its something normal? Nice story...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5b5d7639964d6

[QUOTE="ZuluEcho14"][QUOTE="dakan45"] Sorry for posting this, but i asked the same question on another thread and it was not answered: "I did not understand anything at the end, what is the story about? Please explain...."dakan45

SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I still dont get it, So this guy can somehow go back in time and posses bodies in order to change the present/future....whatever, like its something normal? Nice story...

That's not the story, that's a way to move the story further. You are not looking at the big picture. The story about the tribe you collect through out the game is parallel with the game's story. Think about that and try to change the role of the characters, that will help you get some insight.
Mythomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Mythomniac
Member since 2009 • 1695 Posts
I'm also considering buying this, looks great.
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 dakan45
[QUOTE="dakan45"]

[QUOTE="ZuluEcho14"] Much of it is open to personal interpretation. If you didn't get it then think harder.ZuluEcho14

SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's not the story, that's a way to move the story further. You are not looking at the big picture. The story about the tribe you collect through out the game is parallel with the game's story. Think about that and try to change the role of the characters, that will help you get some insight.

Actually that makes it more weird, i got no idea how the tribe and the characters are connected, neither if the story has a special meaning!!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5b5d7639964d6

[QUOTE="ZuluEcho14"][QUOTE="dakan45"]

SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dakan45

Actually that makes it more weird, i got no idea how the tribe and the characters are connected, neither if the story has a special meaning!!

They are parallel, not connected! The tribes story is like a metaphor.

How would the story not have a special meaning? It was scattered all around the game. Don't the expect the game to force feed you the story with crap tons of cutscenes with boring expositional dialogue, you have to think!

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 dakan45
You mean like mass effect? That there where way too many explanation dilalogues? I dont know if i like or dislike that. Still i would like an explanation instead of telling me to think, cant you see i dont get it?
-Feath-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 -Feath-
Member since 2005 • 1452 Posts
Actually that makes it more weird, i got no idea how the tribe and the characters are connected, neither if the story has a special meaning!!dakan45
It's a fabulous game, if you can run it. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it, at all. As for the story... [spoiler] The notes you find along the path of the game tell the story of a tribe, with situations similar to that of Captain Danko and his crew. This acts as a mirror for story telling, allowing the player to understand what happened then and happened on the ship. The North Wind crashed in 1868, but the main character arrived at the ship in 1981. The only way he can be there is if he is dead, as he perished right at the start when the ice broke. He is brought back to life by his actions in the "afterlife" where he explores the ship, using the mental echo ability to change other people's past, and eventually his own (you can see a void in this "afterlife" in the prisoner's cafeteria, which appears later in the game near the end). This is why he, the captain, and some of the crew are alive just before the ending credits. All the incidents, like the radiation and so on lead to panic on the ship; resulting in the human condition causing that rushed, and failed helicopter escape. People left behind have their hope of surviving as low as the temperatures of outside. This results in the game mechanic of heat as "health", and the bright red colour representing safety and hope, whereas the cold represents death (when you are hit by enemies, the screen goes blue for a while, and so on). The people remaining become trapped by their own fear, and this is shown by the enemies in this "afterlife" as they all have some sort of cage, obstruction or locks on their face/body, again acting as a visual cue to their helplessness caused by fear. This whole simile-relation gives us ideas of why the mental-echo ability can actually change the "present", as the "afterlife" you play the game in is created by this whole mirror story, or "dream". If the "dream" is changed, so is the "afterlife" or game world. Without the mental echos, that world created by the fears and memories of the crew would forever be stuck in that state of helplessness and stasis (ice is really fitting here, due to it stopping anything living caught inside). That was kind of confusing which probably won't help you understand atall but I ramble. [/spoiler]
Franko_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#15 Franko_3
Member since 2003 • 5729 Posts
don't get it on steam though, it's overpriced atm. It was 8$ on gamersgate last week.
jwsoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16 jwsoul
Member since 2005 • 5467 Posts

dommeus
To be fair as good as it is the optimization is just terrible. If you have a excellent rig and your willing to tweak stuff then give it a try. Tho any game not optimized well is hard to recommend. Im gonna have to say avoid it unless you can get the Demo to run well, maybe in the future they will optimize future release better.
-Feath-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 -Feath-
Member since 2005 • 1452 Posts

For the people with performance issues, someone on the Cryostasis forums made this performance mod which might be worth checking out. It looks largely the same and performance gains are from 50-300% apparently, although I didn't have as big a gain (or performance issues in the first place, but whatever).

Link

IIRC you need the 1.1 Patch installed, and that breaks your save games. So you'll have to start a new game for it to work, if it will do anything atall, computing is wierd.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5b5d7639964d6

I have a 8600 GTS and was able to run it adequatly good with the non essencial graphic options turned off and the resolution at minimum.

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

It runs well on anything higher than a 7600. It has special effects miles better than most games, in some areas its better than Crysis.

And the Mental Echo stuff is brutal. In a fraction of a second the entire area shifts to something completely different - new textures, effects, shaders and objects are loaded instantly. It's killing the GPU, but its unlike anything else. The texturing technology is also unique, especially regarding the ice.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5b5d7639964d6
[QUOTE="-Feath-"] [spoiler] The people remaining become trapped by their own fear, and this is shown by the enemies in this "afterlife" as they all have some sort of cage, obstruction or locks on their face/body, again acting as a visual cue to their helplessness caused by fear. [/spoiler]

[spoiler] I think this prison was their choice, brought upon themselves by their desire to survive. They gave up their "freedom" to stay "alive" just as the tribe in the story was willing to surrender to the enemy to escape the forest. You can also see this mentioned in the end of the prison level where the guard is facing the prisoners that were planning to escape and changed their minds to stay alive. [/spoiler]
Daytona_178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 Daytona_178
Member since 2005 • 14962 Posts

Watch the Giantbomb quick look they just did,,,then make up your mind.

RyuRanVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#22 RyuRanVII
Member since 2006 • 4257 Posts

Here is a nice interpretation of Cryostasis' story: http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=7991 Mine is a little different, but I liked what this guy wrote on 1C Forums.

concord9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 concord9
Member since 2003 • 949 Posts

This is actually a rare gem. The game itself is very good and under rated. Basically compared to modern FPS's it is incredibly slow, and it's not combat driven.

The story is another unique thing about the game, as there actually is one, and the story is damn interesting.

I personally liked it.