Is competing online with a 60hz panel idiotic?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for gogoplexiorayo2
Gogoplexiorayo2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

Poll Is competing online with a 60hz panel idiotic? (30 votes)

Yes 7%
No 93%

I have played bf4 for about 90 hours online. And i keep getting my ass kicked with my 60 hz 1440p pls panel. And i have a question, are you stupid if you try to compete with a 60hz panel vs the 120hz 1ms players?

• 
ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

I play with a 60hz 1080p monitor that I've had for years and I rarely have any difficulty doing well. In fact my K/D in Planetside 2 is pretty good. I've played some BF4 as well and I seem to do pretty decently. It's a fun multiplayer game. I think you may just lack skill.

Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 PfizersaurusRex
Member since 2012 • 1503 Posts

If my math is right, a guy with a 120Hz monitor with the same input lag and the same ping has 8/1000 of a second advantage over you. And 1ms ping? Is that even possible?

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

I'm sorry to say but no mouse/keyboard/monitor/low ping, would make you a better gamer, it's a learning that takes time, getting to know the weapon, the maps, the tactics, learning from opponents or teammates.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

Battlefield isn't that fast paced, it's not your monitor holding you back.

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#5 Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

ping is everything and also a fast computer for a fps game.

I can't see how 60hz would make any big difference cause you can just disable vsync in most games and screen tearing is a mixed bag depending on the screen. My 1440p monitor i really noticed tearing but my 1080p monitor i can let the fps run wild and i don't notice any tearing... and its a 200 dollar monitor compared to a 1000 dollar monitor, i guess more pixels=more lag and noticable tearing.

Anyways, FPS these days are kinda slow compared to the insane speeds of Quake 1-3... i remember playing Quake 3 Arena back in the day and its was too fast to even aim almost, i haven't seen many fps like that now cause most are realistic like COD or Battlefield.

c0mplex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 c0mplex
Member since 2002 • 15382 Posts

BF4 isn't like Quake or CS. a 60Hz monitor isn't your problem.

Gogoplexiorayo2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Gogoplexiorayo2
Member since 2013 • 189 Posts

@Old_Gooseberry: i have v-sync enabled in nvidia control panel. If i dont have it on, the gpu makes a very annoying loud metallic sound, impossible to game without v-sync on.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

This topic is really silly. Only gamers who actually get paid to compete would benefit from the faster response that 120hz can give. Nobody in your BF4 matches are killing you because of their 120hz monitors. You just suck.

RevanBITW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 RevanBITW
Member since 2013 • 739 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

This topic is really silly. Only gamers who actually get paid to compete would benefit from the faster response that 120hz can give. Nobody in your BF4 matches are killing you because of their 120hz monitors. You just suck.

This

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

@RevanBITW said:

@KHAndAnime said:

This

I double this. TC get better or die.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator

@BattleSpectre said:

@RevanBITW said:

@KHAndAnime said:

This

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@PredatorRules said:

@BattleSpectre said:

@RevanBITW said:

@KHAndAnime said:

This

Such a lovely bunch of guys....

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

@PredatorRules said:

@BattleSpectre said:

@RevanBITW said:

@KHAndAnime said:

This

Stupid questions get stupid (yet truthful) answers

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By FelipeInside

@wis3boi said:

@FelipeInside said:

@PredatorRules said:

@BattleSpectre said:

@RevanBITW said:

What was so stupid about his question?

He asked if there was an advantage using 120Hz, and if that was the reason he wasn't doing good.

TC, here's a normal answer: There isn't really a big advantage of using 120hz, except the fact that everything flows smoother on your screen, so maybe sometimes you might see something off the corner of your eye but that's about it. Just keep playing and you'll get better. Also look up video guides on how to play.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 wis3boi
@FelipeInside said:

@wis3boi said:

@FelipeInside said:

@PredatorRules said:

@BattleSpectre said:

@RevanBITW said:

He asked if there was an advantage using 120Hz, and if that was the reason he wasn't doing good.

TC, here's a normal answer: There isn't really a big advantage of using 120hz, except the fact that everything flows smoother on your screen, so maybe sometimes you might see something off the corner of your eye but that's about it. Just keep playing and you'll get better. Also look up video guides on how to play.

It's dumb because BF4 will only play as good as the server's tick rate, which is also hard coded in the game's engine, which is pretty poor at this. A monitor's refresh rate is in no way related to tc "getting his ass kicked" by the people over 60hz. They get a smoother picture, not a faster reaction time to combat. Same reason people with solid state drives don't kick the asses of people using a mechanical hard drive

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator

@FelipeInside said:

@wis3boi said:

@FelipeInside said:

@PredatorRules said:

@BattleSpectre said:

@RevanBITW said:

(just kidding, but you're right there's no need to be jerks to newbies)

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 FelipeInside

@wis3boi said:
@FelipeInside said:

@wis3boi said:

It's dumb because BF4 will only play as good as the server's tick rate, which is also hard coded in the game's engine, which is pretty poor at this. A monitor's refresh rate is in no way related to tc "getting his ass kicked" by the people over 60hz. They get a smoother picture, not a faster reaction time to combat. Same reason people with solid state drives don't kick the asses of people using a mechanical hard drive

See, you CAN provide a normal response. Something like that would have been perfectly fine for the TC. Not everyone knows every little technical aspect of every game or hardware.

Someone that doesn't know something and is asking for help isn't dumb.

RevanBITW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 RevanBITW
Member since 2013 • 739 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

@wis3boi said:

@FelipeInside said:

@PredatorRules said:

@BattleSpectre said:

@RevanBITW said:

The problem is that he was trying to imply he sucks at the game because his monitor isn't 120 Hz. Which is absurd in so many so ways. First, very few people out there have a monitor that goes above 60hz anyway. Secondly, thinking milliseconds of delay off his monitor when lag is obviously a big factor when playing online is what is getting him killed is just stupid. Thirdly, it's that same kind of sucker attitude that makes kids thinks they can become Michael Jordan by wearing Jordans. Everything about it is laughable.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 FelipeInside

@RevanBITW said:

@FelipeInside said:

@wis3boi said:

@FelipeInside said:

@PredatorRules said:

@BattleSpectre said:

@RevanBITW said:

The problem is that he was trying to imply he sucks at the game because his monitor isn't 120 Hz. Which is absurd in so many so ways. First, very few people out there have a monitor that goes above 60hz anyway. Secondly, thinking milliseconds of delay off his monitor when lag is obviously a big factor when playing online is what is getting him killed is just stupid. Thirdly, it's that same kind of sucker attitude that makes kids thinks they can become Michael Jordan by wearing Jordans. Everything about it is laughable.

Go re-read his post. He never implied anything, he asked if he was losing cause of his monitor and if he should be playing with 120hz, nothing else. No wonder people don't want to post here if everyone treats newcomers like idiots cause they are asking a question.

Gogoplexiorayo2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Gogoplexiorayo2
Member since 2013 • 189 Posts

ok guys i have got my answer. I may be a little foolish at times but im not sensitive so its ok you got a little angry with me. Im just sick and tired of getting owned by the other players some (not all) the time. and btw i stopped using the ak-12 and started using the SAR-12 (if that was the name) now i get a better ratio 1,05 ratio or something. it was the weapon not the monitor sry guys. now that i know there is no advantage with 120 hz monitors i REALLY want to compete!

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 FelipeInside

@gogoplexiorayo2 said:

ok guys i have got my answer. I may be a little foolish at times but im not sensitive so its ok you got a little angry with me. Im just sick and tired of getting owned by the other players some (not all) the time. and btw i stopped using the ak-12 and started using the SAR-12 (if that was the name) now i get a better ratio 1,05 ratio or something. it was the weapon not the monitor sry guys. now that i know there is no advantage with 120 hz monitors i REALLY want to compete!

No need to apologize dude. You just asked a question and the people that "know-it-all" here decided to be unhelpful. Glad you're getting better results with the new weapon, just keep practicing.

maynardburger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 maynardburger
Member since 2005 • 187 Posts

120hz *does* give you an advantage, there's no doubt. Just as somebody would have an advantage playing at 60fps in a room full of people playing at 30fps. The input lag from 120hz is a minor benefit, but your *reaction time* advantage is noticeable because its somehow easier to notice things quickly and to get your aim precisely where you want it.

That said, most people online are not using 120hz monitors. There might be some, but the vast majority of people are all using 60hz, just like you.

Its still worth looking into 120hz if you're serious about multiplayer gaming(or just like high framerates), but its probably not an issue with your competitiveness at the moment. If you're somehow not feeling comfortable with your aiming or general mouse control, you can try messing around with sensitivity settings or go into your mouse settings on the control panel and see if you have 'Enhanced Pointer Precision' selected. This is mouse acceleration and with it on, you inputs are sometimes exaggerated. I think most competitive online players like this option 'off' for increased precision(I know, that sounds counter intuitive to the option's name, but its true). Personally, I've gotten very used to having it on, so I don't think it hurts me much, but definitely try it out yourself for a while to see if it makes a difference. It might feel weird at first, so give it a few matches to warm up to it and see what you think.

There's also the option of getting a nice mouse. A Steelseries or a nice Logitech one are popular choices. The DPI number(most nice mouses are adjustable) is basically just sensitivity so don't think that number means everything - something a lot of people misunderstand. A nice mouse can indeed be more accurate, and often come with other benefits such as extra programmable buttons, which I like in a game like Battlefield.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 GeryGo  Moderator

@maynardburger said:

120hz *does* give you an advantage, there's no doubt. Just as somebody would have an advantage playing at 60fps in a room full of people playing at 30fps. The input lag from 120hz is a minor benefit, but your *reaction time* advantage is noticeable because its somehow easier to notice things quickly and to get your aim precisely where you want it.

That said, most people online are not using 120hz monitors. There might be some, but the vast majority of people are all using 60hz, just like you.

Its still worth looking into 120hz if you're serious about multiplayer gaming(or just like high framerates), but its probably not an issue with your competitiveness at the moment. If you're somehow not feeling comfortable with your aiming or general mouse control, you can try messing around with sensitivity settings or go into your mouse settings on the control panel and see if you have 'Enhanced Pointer Precision' selected. This is mouse acceleration and with it on, you inputs are sometimes exaggerated. I think most competitive online players like this option 'off' for increased precision(I know, that sounds counter intuitive to the option's name, but its true). Personally, I've gotten very used to having it on, so I don't think it hurts me much, but definitely try it out yourself for a while to see if it makes a difference. It might feel weird at first, so give it a few matches to warm up to it and see what you think.

There's also the option of getting a nice mouse. A Steelseries or a nice Logitech one are popular choices. The DPI number(most nice mouses are adjustable) is basically just sensitivity so don't think that number means everything - something a lot of people misunderstand. A nice mouse can indeed be more accurate, and often come with other benefits such as extra programmable buttons, which I like in a game like Battlefield.

Just before advising him to get a brand new monitor, don't forget to get advantage of that monitor he'll also need a high end gaming rig that ables him to play on 100+ fps.

maynardburger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 maynardburger

@PredatorRules said:

@maynardburger said:

Just before advising him to get a brand new monitor, don't forget to get advantage of that monitor he'll also need a high end gaming rig that ables him to play on 100+ fps.

Well I wasn't really advising him to get a new monitor. Just saying that 120hz monitors *are* nice if you like multiplayer games.

Geminon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Geminon
Member since 2012 • 1177 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

only KH would try to say that ANYONE would benefit from 8/1000 of a second increase.... its humanly impossible.

PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By PfizersaurusRex

@maynardburger: Are you sure the DPI button simply changes sensitivity? Because you definitely want as much DPI as possible, and then set the mouse sensitivity in game as low as you can. Generally lower sensitivity means better precision, you just need to find your setting. The weight of the mouse and the mouse pad also play an important role.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

@FelipeInside: Felipe come on mate, you know I was only joking when I told the "TC to get better or die". Anyways good thing the original poster isn't sensitive and understood where everyone was coming from.

Also Felipe I doubt you've never given a sarcastic response to a question before with your time online, no need to jump at anybody's throats as this happens all the time on an online forum. People like joking around and having a bit of fun sometimes.

SamiRDuran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 SamiRDuran
Member since 2005 • 2758 Posts

dont blame the panel for your lack of skills.

maynardburger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 maynardburger

@PfizersaurusRex said:

@maynardburger: Are you sure the DPI button simply changes sensitivity? Because you definitely want as much DPI as possible, and then set the mouse sensitivity in game as low as you can. Generally lower sensitivity means better precision, you just need to find your setting. The weight of the mouse and the mouse pad also play an important role.

You're definitely right that there's more to it. But ultimately, it is another measure of sensitivity, although it works differently. You can mix DPI and sensitivity settings to get something you like, but they'll do similar things in the end. I wouldn't say that you want as much DPI as possible, because there comes a point with high DPI that movement from your mouse results in very large jumps across the screen and even with low sensitivity in-game, it can prove to be too much.

Its definitely worth playing around with, though. Everybody is different. I personally like very low sensitivity in general. I have a 5600dpi mouse but I play at 400dpi and still tend to lower sensitivity settings in-game from default. I don't like to throw my aim around the screen all the time. Maybe if I had a 120hz monitor, the motion blur wouldn't be so bad and I could look around quicker without penalty but as it is right now, throwing my aim around too quickly reduces the amount of time I'm scanning the environment. Just my personal preference, though. Some people will take that downside for the advantage of being able to aim quicker. I suppose since I'm using a 27" monitor about 18" from my face also means I've got a large area to cover with my eyes and need all the time I can get!

PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 PfizersaurusRex

@maynardburger said:

@PfizersaurusRex said:

You're definitely right that there's more to it. But ultimately, it is another measure of sensitivity, although it works differently. You can mix DPI and sensitivity settings to get something you like, but they'll do similar things in the end. I wouldn't say that you want as much DPI as possible, because there comes a point with high DPI that movement from your mouse results in very large jumps across the screen and even with low sensitivity in-game, it can prove to be too much.

Its definitely worth playing around with, though. Everybody is different. I personally like very low sensitivity in general. I have a 5600dpi mouse but I play at 400dpi and still tend to lower sensitivity settings in-game from default. I don't like to throw my aim around the screen all the time. Maybe if I had a 120hz monitor, the motion blur wouldn't be so bad and I could look around quicker without penalty but as it is right now, throwing my aim around too quickly reduces the amount of time I'm scanning the environment. Just my personal preference, though. Some people will take that downside for the advantage of being able to aim quicker. I suppose since I'm using a 27" monitor about 18" from my face also means I've got a large area to cover with my eyes and need all the time I can get!

Wish I could play more like you, I can't use anything but feather-light mice and I almost always increase sensitivity from default. No wonder I'm a gear whoe LOL.

Postosuchus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Postosuchus
Member since 2005 • 907 Posts

@PredatorRules said:

I'm sorry to say but no mouse/keyboard/monitor/low ping, would make you a better gamer, it's a learning that takes time, getting to know the weapon, the maps, the tactics, learning from opponents or teammates.

I'd have to disagree with that minor point. A mouse that allows sensitivity to be changed on the fly, and allows a good range of sensitivity, can help a lot with certain vehicles and (i'm told) sniping, at least in BF3. In particular I'm thinking of the 2nd seat of tanks in that game; lowering sensitivity makes it much easier to aim. I assume BF4 has similar situations, but could be wrong .

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 GeryGo  Moderator

@Postosuchus said:

@PredatorRules said:

I'd have to disagree with that minor point. A mouse that allows sensitivity to be changed on the fly, and allows a good range of sensitivity, can help a lot with certain vehicles and (i'm told) sniping, at least in BF3. In particular I'm thinking of the 2nd seat of tanks in that game; lowering sensitivity makes it much easier to aim. I assume BF4 has similar situations, but could be wrong .

It might help a bit, but it would not make of him a better gamer overall.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By wis3boi

@PredatorRules said:

@Postosuchus said:

@PredatorRules said:

switching dpi on the fly in BF4 has gotten me killed more than anything

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#34  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@wis3boi said:

@PredatorRules said:

@Postosuchus said:

@PredatorRules said:

I didn't realize people actually did that, I thought it was really just a marketing ploy

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator

@wis3boi said:

@PredatorRules said:

@Postosuchus said:

@PredatorRules said:

I'm not going to lie I've used dpi change on the fly with games like World of Tanks and CS GO, it's a thing that can do more harm than use sometimes, you do have to get used to the drastic change in the sensitivity.

iDefinition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 iDefinition
Member since 2009 • 388 Posts

9/10 would repost 2 years later

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 wis3boi

@lostrib said:

@wis3boi said:

@PredatorRules said:

@Postosuchus said:

@PredatorRules said:

I didn't realize people actually did that, I thought it was really just a marketing ploy

its right under my mousewheel with 5 settings. Drop it super low for sniping and the precision is insane. Someone sneaks up on me though, and i have to spend time going back to normal in order to even turn around, resulting in my death

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator

@wis3boi said:

@lostrib said:

@wis3boi said:

@PredatorRules said:

@Postosuchus said:

@PredatorRules said:

its right under my mousewheel with 5 settings. Drop it super low for sniping and the precision is insane. Someone sneaks up on me though, and i have to spend time going back to normal in order to even turn around, resulting in my death

THIS. so is it good as getting used to constant dpi? i'd say it's a bout the same, got cons and pros on each method.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 FelipeInside

@BattleSpectre said:

@FelipeInside: Felipe come on mate, you know I was only joking when I told the "TC to get better or die". Anyways good thing the original poster isn't sensitive and understood where everyone was coming from.

Also Felipe I doubt you've never given a sarcastic response to a question before with your time online, no need to jump at anybody's throats as this happens all the time on an online forum. People like joking around and having a bit of fun sometimes.

It's all good, I know you were joking. Just give the poor guy a break, lol.... he is getting killed in BF4 and you guys are saying he's a noob, hahahahhaa.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#40 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

No it's not stupid with 60hz. You are talking about an 8ms difference which you can more than make up with in tactics and experience. Your improved performance is mostly a placebo effect.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#41  Edited By JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

120hz/144hz+ panels are overpowered for tracking compared to 60 hz panels.

This matters a lot more for arena shooters with like the lightning gun in ql/chain in ta. The difference is massive, there is no way you're going to be able to lg nearly as good as someone who is on a higher display refresh. I know a few mexilords I played with, I told them to get 144hz displays and suddenly their LG was way better.

pay2win

However BF4 has horrible gameplay so you can do w/e. Getting a 144hz display will definitely help you, but it isn't the biggest problem you're having.