Is civ 5 dumbed down from civ 4?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Prexxus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Prexxus
Member since 2003 • 1443 Posts

So after lots of mixed reviews from a game I think is the best in the series. I wanted to make a simple poll for people that have played both Civ 4 and Civ 5.

Do you think Civ 5 is "dumbed down" compared to its predecessor Civ 4?

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
It plays different, and is not necessarily dumbed down. It's less of an economic squeeze and relies more on tactics.
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#3 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

No its not dumbed down.

kdawg88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 kdawg88
Member since 2009 • 2923 Posts
Sure, if you like.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58500 Posts

I think "streamlined" is a better term for it; the game definately appears to hold your hand a bit more than the previous game, but not at the expense of depth.

The balance is vastly improved, no longer to old units with axes beat gunpowder units, etc.

StopThePresses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 StopThePresses
Member since 2010 • 2767 Posts
No, the game isn't dumbed down. Just the AI. :lol:
UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#7 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

I think it's just more accessible and streamlined (the interface especially which is just awesome), but the actual depth is there.

XIntoTheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 XIntoTheBlue
Member since 2009 • 1070 Posts
After playing the game for over a week, I have not had the impression of anything being dumbed down. The combat aspect appears to hold more depth than the Stack O' Doom. The change to hex instead of square tiles add more interesting aspects, especially to city radius (36 workable tiles vs 20). City-States are more interesting to me than barbarian towns you'd encounter in Civ IV. The barbarians seem a bit more logical as they have encampments spawn in places rather than random barbarian units appearing. Those are just some examples. It's not to say not everything was changed for the better though (although I think a good majority has). You don't have health resources anymore; that's been ostracized from the gameplay. Resources like deer and sheep don't hold as much depth as in Civ IV. They only provide some sort of bonus to the tile they are on rather than providing that bonus AND health bonus. However, I do love how they changed strategic resources. Now having multiple resources of the same type actually means something. Before, once you get access to one (i.e. oil), any further instances are almost useless (only use those had were for backup, really). For me, ultimately, while there have been some aspects that seem relatively simpler, there have been a lot more better improvements. While I concede Civ V has some issues in areas, I think that stuff will be fleshed out after some patches and a couple expansion packs. I do know that I am enjoying this game, and that is all that matters.
Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23992 Posts

It is not dumbed down as much as lacking some features compared to Civ 4, but of course, Civ 4 had a lot more time to have the metagame blooming up and 2 expansions in addition to several updates. Removal of religion was a great thing though, but I don't feel the same about civics and corporations (which I hope will be readded as soon as possible).

I personally prefer civ 4 and gave civ 5 a 6.5 but I can see the game blooming up into something awesome if we give it more time. First of all make the AI smarter, I have conquered several nations without losing a single unit, using the same tactics that got me single tactics star out of 5 in some strategy rpgs.

KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 KalDurenik
Member since 2004 • 3736 Posts

Lets see... My issues with CIV 5:

To have a challenge you need to play on err what ever its called... D something :D... The only reason why its a challenge there is because the AI CHEAT. By the time you have 3 things researched there are computers are 15+. The AI dont get better or anything it just cheat :(...

There are to few civ's and they are not very unique and the abilties they have are either super bad. Or overpowered like hell.

Then there seem to be a preformance issue due to bad coding... My computer can handle the game just fine but a while into the game it will start to lag and the loading time will be so long... I have played larger and more complicated games then this with many more AI's and the games there dont lag or take long time to load.

Then i know its not very "Civ" gameish... But i would have loved to see them add "events"...

While the game is "stream lined" to make it easier to play... There is something missing and i just cant put my finger on what it is... But its most likely a combination of lack of civ's, lack of unique stuff and lack of events...

tokumamaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 tokumamaster
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
It plays different, and is not necessarily dumbed down. It's less of an economic squeeze and relies more on tactics.KHAndAnime
That's exactly what I'd say about it. It does more of the tedious work for you (still available to you, just hidden), and the game is more focused on the action because neither you, nor your enemies can stack endless units on one space. So, where you place your units is big strategy element of the game.
-CheeseEater-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 -CheeseEater-
Member since 2007 • 5258 Posts
I think the game is overall more polished and more coherent in it's overall presentation - yet the levels of immense depth are still retained.
anomalyjack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 anomalyjack
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
Anyone who answers yes has probably never played Civ 5 yet. It looks dumbed down, but they just made it more easily playable for more people. The advanced features are still there. There just hidden.
Manyac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 Manyac
Member since 2005 • 572 Posts

its dumbed down. 1 UPT is interesting (but more tedious); squares or hexes: whatever; "rushing" or "gold buying" in civ 5 is way too easy, generic, and requires less thought; research agreements oversimplify "tech trading" (in quotes because tech trading doesn't exist anymore in civ 5); great scientists bulb entire techs no matter the beaker cost; most tile imporvements and resources are worthless; lack of many features from previous games; almost all wonders and buildings are essentially worthless; balance between large cities and ICS (infinite city sprawl - found as many cities as possible with NO REGARD for strategy of land or anything) heavily favors ICS; the list goes on... I do not find myself making many decisions.

it wouldn't matter so much if so many aspects of the game weren't broken. city states broken, diplomacy broken (really hurts the role playing aspect of civ), ai even more broken that previous games (also the ai has NO IDEA how to actually win the game...), buggy, lack of many features/extras (DLC and expansions obviously in the future = $$). i get the feeling the designers didn't even play the game.

just to be clear: it's dumbed down not because a lot of the math and stuff is "hidden" but because the strategy has been oversimplified.

i was really looking forward to civ 5, but i have put it on the shelf hoping that patches and stuff will fix the problems in the future, and for now have new found appreciation for civ 4.

THA-TODD-BEAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 THA-TODD-BEAST
Member since 2003 • 4569 Posts

It isn't dumbed down, the interface is just a little more streamlined. Many of the complex elements are still in place, though, and some like combat have actually been given more depth.

Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Threesixtyci
Member since 2006 • 4451 Posts
still haven't bought it.....