Is a hard drive fan necessary?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Athawolfus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Athawolfus
Member since 2007 • 413 Posts

Hey there,

I have a built-in hard-disk fan in the front part of my PC case, cooling two separate hard drives, one 0.5 TB and the other 2 TB. But it tends to make a lot of noise when I don't clean it for a month or so, so I was wondering if I could just unplug it without encountering any problems with hard-drive temperatures. What do you say?

Thanks.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

Depends on how much air flow you have in your case. If you have any intake fans at the front, then HDD fans are probably not necessary as they'll more than likely get sufficient air cooling them from the intake. Of course that depends on whether your drives are behind the intake fan!

Athawolfus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Athawolfus

Depends on how much air flow you have in your case. If you have any intake fans at the front, then HDD fans are probably not necessary as they'll more than likely get sufficient air cooling them from the intake. Of course that depends on whether your drives are behind the intake fan!

GarGx1

Thanks, but I think that what I refer to as the HD fan is actually the intake fan you are talking about. The fan is not directly above or below the drives; the fan is located vertically by the front panel behind some air-flow grills. So, then, is this intake fan necessary?

jcbullen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 jcbullen
Member since 2008 • 865 Posts

It wouldn't make a huge difference to your hard drives if you unplugged that fan. The thing about the intake fan is, it will produce better cooling throughout your entire PC so if you do end up unplugging it, the rest of the components in your PC might have a temperature rise. Is it a big deal cleaning it once every few weeks? Buy a dust filter if you don't have one and that should keep your fan nice and clean. You would still have to clean out the dust filter though.

Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts
There are specific harddrive fans - small slimline that can be mounted on top of a harddrive - I did buy one for a previous PC but it was totally unnecessary. If it is your intake fan then it's worth finding out either why your current fan makes noise after a while. If it's getting clogged with dust then maybe look at getting a filter. If it's just a cheapo budget fan that came with the case then look at replacing it - loads of options for fans that will either be quieter, or larger and quieter while shifting more air.
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

It's not a hard drive fan, it's an intake fan. It's quite important for temperatures so i wouldn't remove it.

If it's noisy you could buy a better fan that will be cheaper, and if it's bringing in a lot of dust you could buy a dust filter.

Athawolfus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Athawolfus

Thanks for the replies. The fan by itself is not noisy, but starts making quite annoying buzzing noises when it gets dusty. When it goes uncleaned for a long time it produces almost industrial-level noise.

When I should make plain is that it is not the only intake fan on the case. The case is a Thermaltake Shark and it has a big intake fan in the back that is responsible for most of the air flow and cooling for most of the components. The other fan in the front that is producing the noise is small and seems to be only serving the hard drive area.

ydnarrewop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#8 ydnarrewop
Member since 2004 • 2292 Posts
haha I remember this old retro hd cooler I had back in the day. It cycled through colours on the front plate, and ran temp cables/nodes whatever to different parts. Big ol silver know to control the fan speeds of 4 fans you had connnected. Honestly though, if your case is well ventilated you don't need a hd cooler. :)
C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts

Thanks for the replies. The fan by itself is not noisy, but starts making quite annoying buzzing noises when it gets dusty. When it goes uncleaned for a long time it produces almost industrial-level noise.

When I should make plain is that it is not the only intake fan on the case. The case is a Thermaltake Shark and it has a big intake fan in the back that is responsible for most of the air flow and cooling for most of the components. The other fan in the front that is producing the noise is small and seems to be only serving the hard drive area.

Athawolfus
The rear fan should be exhaust. Front, side, bottom: Intake Rear, top: Exhaust
ndawgdrake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ndawgdrake
Member since 2009 • 533 Posts
If the front intake fan is noisy, you should consider just replacing it with a higher quality, lower noise one. Anyways, like other have said, you ought to keep the fan running because it contributes to lower temperatures for your entire system.
Xsan3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 Xsan3
Member since 2009 • 2618 Posts

I've personally never had a HDD fail due to heat. Nor, have I seen a PC HDD Fail from heat Period...

If there's that much heat generating in your computer case thats causing a HDD to fail, then I'd imagine your CPU, and MOBO are going to fail much sooner.

yachtboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 yachtboy
Member since 2003 • 1612 Posts
I had a hdd fail before the cpu/gpu because of heat about a 6 or 7 years ago, but that was a custom small form factor pc and required a fan directly over it and it still failed. The thing got hot enough to almost melt plastic.... not joking :0 Back to the point though... a normal (meaning not jam packed into some weird setup like my was) never ever ever needs a fan, but it could help cool other parts.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#13 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
Also, back up your hard drives. If you have an external hard drive, that would be most excellent. Thought I'd mention it.
Yams1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#14 Yams1980
Member since 2006 • 2862 Posts

HDDScan or CPUID Monitor can show u temps on your hard drives.... unless they are like over 65C all the time, i wouldnt bother cooling them.

Hard drives can die from heat though, i had a couple old raptors which died within a year or so... but the new 2.5inch laptop sized raptors fixed the heat problem.

Athawolfus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Athawolfus

Thanks for the suggestions. The temperature of the HDs is around 30C. Maybe I'll check again after unplugging the fan or just buy a new fan.

By the way, what are safe peak temperatures for the CPU? (mine is an E8400)

C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts

Thanks for the suggestions. The temperature of the HDs is around 30C. Maybe I'll check again after unplugging the fan or just buy a new fan.

By the way, what are safe peak temperatures for the CPU? (mine is an E8400)

Athawolfus
Intel recommend max of 72c for that CPU.