This topic is locked from further discussion.

MagicAndyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 MagicAndyz
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

Hi im new here and my friend always talks about how you guys on the section are helpful when it comes to computer stuff. so i am looking to get a new laptop within a week looking to spend around 600-700. i would like to play some games like counterstrike,WoW,warhammer,guild wars on it i have found the type of computer i would like. it comes with 3 different hard drive sizes. 160gb 250gb and 320gb. untill resently i was going to get the 250gb one but ive been looking on abunch of different sites and have found out that the 160gb is alot cheaper and it would be nice to save some cash. so if and one could help that would be great (keep in mind im not looking to do to much gaming on it just an adv. amount)

here is the like for the one i would like to get:http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8892745&type=product&id=1211587727496

incase no one got a clear question out of that.

I am wondering if 160gb will be enough hard drive??

thanks

sbarkeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 sbarkeri
Member since 2006 • 672 Posts
Well what are you using it for other thank WoW, CS? I have about 50GB worth of music and 70GB worth of steam games so anything less than 500GB wouldn't do for me PERSONALLY. But I know some people who just use their PC for MSN who still manage easily with an 80GB.
neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#3 neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4400 Posts

Hi im new here and my friend always talks about how you guys on the section are helpful when it comes to computer stuff. so i am looking to get a new laptop within a week looking to spend around 600-700. i would like to play some games like counterstrike,WoW,warhammer,guild wars on it i have found the type of computer i would like. it comes with 3 different hard drive sizes. 160gb 250gb and 320gb. untill resently i was going to get the 250gb one but ive been looking on abunch of different sites and have found out that the 160gb is alot cheaper and it would be nice to save some cash. so if and one could help that would be great (keep in mind im not looking to do to much gaming on it just an adv. amount)

here is the like for the one i would like to get:http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8892745&type=product&id=1211587727496

incase no one got a clear question out of that.

I am wondering if 160gb will be enough hard drive??

thanks

MagicAndyz

It mostly depends on what you plan on using it for - aside from using your PC to play a few games. I for one have had a 160GB HDD now for a good 3 years and I've never had any issues with space. I don't download music or videos - I've only a handful of movies that are from the iTune store, otherwise I use my computer for strictly gaming and basic information storage - xcel files, word files, pictures, etc...

I generally keep my HDD at around 60% capacity - I delete games I haven't played in a long, long while....so I do good with 160GB.

Now, if you plan on downloading tons of music and videos, then your best bet would be to go for at least the 250GB. I knew guys in college that had 60-120GB external HDDs filled with movies and videos.

Broken89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Broken89
Member since 2007 • 134 Posts
If you play ALOT of pc games then it will not be enough, My STEAM folder in 177GB and growing lol
JN_Fenrir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 JN_Fenrir
Member since 2004 • 1551 Posts
Maybe not, but it depends on how you use it. For example, my system looks like this: Disk 1: 80Gb (2 partitions) - C (20Gb) holds the OS and all programs -- 14.4Gb used - D (60Gb) is strictly for games (20 currently installed) -- 23.4Gb used Disk 2: 120Gb (1 partition) - E is literally my "My Documents" folder, which includes my photos, music, TV shows & videos. It also holds all my web design projects and a backup library of software and drivers (so I don't have to hunt them down again), as well as a "downloads" folder containing random images and other junk I come across that I can't bear to part with for whatever reason. -- 68.4Gb used The caveat here is that E is usually almost full with TV shows, videos and other downloads, but most of the stuff, I either burn to DVD when I get around to it, or I watch it a few more times before deleting it. So, out of about 185.4Gb (formatted), I'm usually using between 120-160Gb in total. Now, I am what most people would consider to be an "advanced user," so I probably have well above the amount of stuff the average person would have on their system. Still, disk space disappears quicker than you'd think, and it is certainly better to have too much space than not enough. For the record though, I do recommend keeping collections of media such as images, music and movies on an external drive, so you can take them wherever you go. You may find 160Gb a little easier to live with if you've got an external drive to kick around. And, of course, always, always, always have a regular backup method in place. :) Hope this helps!
erikgergal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 erikgergal
Member since 2006 • 902 Posts
Well i dont knwo about you but i have a 250gb hdd in my laptop and in the 2 months since i had it i burned up 180gb of hdd space. now i do a lot of things with my laptop now since my desktop got fried in a power surge but that doesnt mean you will have the same problem as me. my previous laptop came with an 80gb hdd and i upgraded that to 120gb and it still wasnt enough so if you plan on having a lot of music, movies, games, and pictures you would need at least 250gb, i personally wish i had a 320gb hdd.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#7 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
Simply, no. I have a 150GB and I have to constantly delete this and that, and wipe my HDD to make room for new things when I really just want to keep all my old stuff as well. It becomes a bit of a hassle and redundancy for me. I would go with at least 300GB.
jpph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 jpph
Member since 2005 • 3337 Posts

if you manage your space carefully, dont want to keep vast amounts of music on it and dont mind spending on an external hdd in future if you need it, then go for it

/topic