IPS vs LED-LCD vs LCD

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for -tears-run-red-
-tears-run-red-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 -tears-run-red-
Member since 2005 • 617 Posts

Anyone know how much of a noticeable difference I would see from gaming on a regular 1680x1050 LCD to a 1080p IPS Monitor?

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

None of those technologies are mutually exclusive because they are all related to different parts of a screen.

LCD is the type of technology. IPS is the type of panel being used in the LCD screen. LED is the type of lighting used. You can have an LCD screen with an IPS panel and LED backlighting.

I think you would see quite a difference since its not only a resolution boost, but an image quaity boost due to an IPS having better colors and much better viewing angles.

Ondoval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Ondoval
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts

Anyone know how much of a noticeable difference I would see from gaming on a regular 1680x1050 LCD to a 1080p IPS Monitor?

-tears-run-red-

There's basically 3 kind of LCD technology: TN, MVA and IPS.

TN are the most common; the only advantage they have is that are very fast (under 5 ms in time of response) and extremely cheap to produce. In the bad part, they only use a video signal of 6 bit per chanel R, G, B, whereas the other two uses 8-10 bit per channel. They have a poor color gamut, narrow viewing angles and mediocre contrast. They are also in the 95% of the PC displays sold. Due are fast, all of the 3D monitors use TN panels to bring 120 Hz.

MVA both support either 8 or 10 bit per channel, their gamut is much better, the contrast and angles of view are excellent and the price much higher. The MVA are a bit slow (sometyimes ghosting in games) wereas IPS are way faster (around 10-20 ms, but not as faster as TN). Currently MVAs are very rare and the market has move towards mainstream with TN (if you wand low cost, fast response and maybe 3D) and high end with IPS variants (high prices, superb quality, no 3D).

fishing666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 fishing666
Member since 2004 • 2113 Posts
big diff especially if you're coming from the same screen size
Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

I always say the things you should spend the most money on in your PC build as a serious PC gamer are your monitor, your case, and your PSU, in that order.

The monitor is where you experience all of the goodness that is PC gaming. An IPS panel is your best bet, but it's also VERY expensive.

I've been drooling over the apple cinema and the Dell IPS 30" panels, but I just can't afford $1,000 for one.

Maybe if I win the lottery :)

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#6 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts

IPS LCD is infinitely superior to 60hz TN LCD's.

However IPS LCD's have inferior contrast to PVA and thus in my opinion inferior image quality for gaming purposes. Unfortunately PVA has bad viewing angles which is why I have IPS LCD cuz I cant stand bad viewing angles.

WiiRocks66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 WiiRocks66
Member since 2007 • 3488 Posts

IPS LCD is infinitely superior to 60hz TN LCD's.

However IPS LCD's have inferior contrast to PVA and thus in my opinion inferior image quality for gaming purposes. Unfortunately PVA has bad viewing angles which is why I have IPS LCD cuz I cant stand bad viewing angles.

Gambler_3
I can't stand VA panels due to the terrible color trail ghosting. I've never seen a VA monitor/TV without noticeable ghosting.
C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts
Where does TFT fit into everything?
GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

Where does TFT fit into everything?C_Rule

TFT is a monitor technology, not a panel technology, its similar to LCD but thinner.

C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 C_Rule

[QUOTE="C_Rule"]Where does TFT fit into everything?GTR12

TFT is a monitor technology, not a panel technology, its similar to LCD but thinner.

Ah, I see. Apparently mine is TN. Nothing wrong with the viewing angle, I cannot imagine why you would want better.
GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

Ah, I see. Apparently mine is TN. Nothing wrong with the viewing angle, I cannot imagine why you would want better.C_Rule

Imagine it this way, 60" TV thats a TN panel with 5/6 of your friends around, some will see the picture clearly whilst others won't. Same goes for a monitor if you got 2 people and your watching a movie/playing a game.

C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 C_Rule

[QUOTE="C_Rule"] Ah, I see. Apparently mine is TN. Nothing wrong with the viewing angle, I cannot imagine why you would want better.GTR12

Imagine it this way, 60" TV thats a TN panel with 5/6 of your friends around, some will see the picture clearly whilst others won't. Same goes for a monitor if you got 2 people and your watching a movie/playing a game.

Yes, I know. But, my monitor, which is TN, is clear to a near 180° angle.

Maybe it's cause ASUS just own so much.8)

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#16 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts

[QUOTE="GTR12"]

[QUOTE="C_Rule"] Ah, I see. Apparently mine is TN. Nothing wrong with the viewing angle, I cannot imagine why you would want better.C_Rule

:|

It's the contrast and colours that suffer, it's not like the screen would suddenly show blank from an off angle.

No TN monitor in existence has good viewing angles yours being no exception.

C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 C_Rule

[QUOTE="C_Rule"]

[QUOTE="GTR12"]

Gambler_3

:|

It's the contrast and colours that suffer, it's not like the screen would suddenly show blank from an off angle.

No TN monitor in existence has good viewing angles yours being no exception.

Well, I'm sitting infront of a TN monitor with a good viewing angle, so I will respectfully disagree. Colours are fine, too.

NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 NamelessPlayer
Member since 2004 • 7729 Posts

Well, I'm sitting infront of a TN monitor with a good viewing angle, so I will respectfully disagree. Colours are fine, too.

C_Rule
Try shifting your head vertically off-axis. Better yet, try looking at it in portrait orientation, if the stand allows for it. You might notice that the colors sort of overexpose/whiten significantly in one direction and invert badly in the other. It's an inherent flaw of all TN panels, and not something I have tolerance for as a person who uses a TrackIR every so often. IPS and AFFS panels don't do that. They might have a bit of color shift in the blacks, but that's it. Still largely readable and consistent, with maybe a slight loss in brightness as you go off-axis. (And CRTs, plasma panels, and OLED displays don't even have that problem...) But if you keep your head relatively straight and don't move much while using your computer, you probably wouldn't notice, so it wouldn't be a big incentive for you to pay up for IPS.
James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

I have used lcd, and led, i got to say i like the led better. Doesn't get as hot either

Hellsing2o2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Hellsing2o2
Member since 2004 • 3504 Posts

[QUOTE="-tears-run-red-"]

Ondoval

There's basically 3 kind of LCD technology: TN, MVA and IPS.

TN are the most common; the only advantage they have is that are very fast (under 5 ms in time of response) and extremely cheap to produce. In the bad part, they only use a video signal of 6 bit per chanel R, G, B, whereas the other two uses 8-10 bit per channel. They have a poor color gamut, narrow viewing angles and mediocre contrast. They are also in the 95% of the PC displays sold. Due are fast, all of the 3D monitors use TN panels to bring 120 Hz.

MVA both support either 8 or 10 bit per channel, their gamut is much better, the contrast and angles of view are excellent and the price much higher. The MVA are a bit slow (sometyimes ghosting in games) wereas IPS are way faster (around 10-20 ms, but not as faster as TN). Currently MVAs are very rare and the market has move towards mainstream with TN (if you wand low cost, fast response and maybe 3D) and high end with IPS variants (high prices, superb quality, no 3D).

To be honest, I don't think TN panels are quite as bad as they are made out to be, sure they are not perfect, but they still look great. My new TN Acer is lightyears better then my old TN Syncmaster in every department. Of course I use my PC for gaming, and regular use.

Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
[QUOTE="C_Rule"]

NamelessPlayer
Try shifting your head vertically off-axis. Better yet, try looking at it in portrait orientation, if the stand allows for it. You might notice that the colors sort of overexpose/whiten significantly in one direction and invert badly in the other. It's an inherent flaw of all TN panels, and not something I have tolerance for as a person who uses a TrackIR every so often. IPS and AFFS panels don't do that. They might have a bit of color shift in the blacks, but that's it. Still largely readable and consistent, with maybe a slight loss in brightness as you go off-axis. (And CRTs, plasma panels, and OLED displays don't even have that problem...) But if you keep your head relatively straight and don't move much while using your computer, you probably wouldn't notice, so it wouldn't be a big incentive for you to pay up for IPS.

The colors are also washed out on the top of the screen where they aren't towards the bottom if your TN's of a decently large size *and* you already know how a given image/site is supposed to look. Most people I know already adjusted to a TN's look and don't realize anything is amiss until they've used a non-TN for a few weeks.