Interesting/fun things to do in Oblivion

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Dennislol123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Dennislol123
Member since 2010 • 184 Posts
Hello everyone! I am trying to get properly into Oblivion as I am hungering for a single player RPG to really lose myself in when WoW or SC2 don't quite cut it and I need to relax. I have played Dragon Age and loved it plus several other RPGs and demos. I basically boiled my choices down to The Witcher and Oblivion. For some odd reason I can't really get into The Witcher, but Oblivion seems like such a great game. I have spend around 10 hours playing my archer and it's been fun! So far I have been following the main story, but I have a feeling that I might get really bored if I continue to play the way I do. I started playing again today after a several months long break from it. I haven't had it for ages. I was thinking The Dark Brotherhood sounded interesting, but I was hoping that you guys could give me some suggestions. As said, I am an archer and enjoy stealthy gameplay. I have followed a very specific guide when creating my character, so while I have little actual experience, I am fairly certain that my class is at least pretty decent. Many thanks! ps: when I closed my most recent Oblivion Gate I looted a ring that gives me 20% chameleon effect and made my character transparant. Can one of you perhaps give me some more details regarding this? I google'd a bit and now I am unsure whether or not I should use it at all :s
illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#2 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

The thieves guild questline is somewhat cool as with the Shivering isles expansion.

Id look into the modding community if you want more as there are new lands, questlines and then some:http://www.tesnexus.com/

eyelickED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 eyelickED
Member since 2009 • 246 Posts

Just explore a bit, you will find heaps of cool stuff like villages and new quests.

And the ring means that you are only 20% invisible even though you look fully camouflaged.

Dennislol123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Dennislol123

The thieves guild questline is somewhat cool as with the Shivering isles expansion.

Id look into the modding community if you want more as there are new lands, questlines and then some:http://www.tesnexus.com/

illmatic87
Thank you! Unfortunately it seems impossible to mod when you have the Steam version of the game :( it is such a shame. Had I only known...
lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts
[QUOTE="illmatic87"]

Dennislol123
Thank you! Unfortunately it seems impossible to mod when you have the Steam version of the game :( it is such a shame. Had I only known...

no it isn't :?
Avatar image for broken_bass_bin
broken_bass_bin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 broken_bass_bin
Member since 2009 • 7515 Posts

[QUOTE="illmatic87"]

Dennislol123

I don't know where you heard that. Mods work with the Steam version just fine.

The only mods that won't work are the ones that require the Oblivion Script Extender (OBSE). At least not without some tweaking.

Dennislol123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Dennislol123
[QUOTE="Dennislol123"][QUOTE="illmatic87"]

lawlessx

no it isn't :?

Really? I guess I did not research enough. When I bought the game and learned that modding was a big deal, I read a bit but only learned that it was not possible with the Steam version. Well, it's a good thing I was wrong I guess! :)
DynV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

User Lists: 2

#8 DynV
Member since 2008 • 260 Posts

Sadly a lot of missions are indoor and the only open space ones are Ayelid temples or dungeons or whatever they're called. Without thinking much, the outdoors missions I can think of are at Daedric shrines, also some miscellaneous quest (by villages NPCs) are outdoor. I'd suggest you try mods (modifications), they're free, easy to find and easy to install.

Compared to Morrowind, I found that Oblivion lacked miscellaneous quest as I think if give more life into NPCs as you give them more importance when you don't know if that character might require something of you but if most don't you might very well think it's not worth the trouble... :|

You character seem like a fighter to me so the Fighter Guild would seem like a good choice but the indoor issue is affecting it. You might also give roleplaying a try, UESP Old Wilderness Dweller Ideas could interest you.

Although the game might not tend to all play-types, humans prefer to be indoor and to live close to each other and the game concerned humanoïds so it might just be the downfall of such a game. Perhaps a game in a cruder setting with very small settlements, nomads, hunters, gatherers & more desire of the population to get rid of wild predators & nuisances would be more suited to an archer ; I can see a mission to get rid of predators around a dwindling flock of deer more satisfactory than helping city folks.

Drazule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Drazule
Member since 2007 • 8693 Posts

The Dark Brotherhood is extremely fun.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#10 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Just do this......

Download the NEHRIM - AT FATES EDGE mod for Oblivion!
The campaign is better then the campaign in Oblivion!

Defiantly give it a try!

JN_Fenrir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 JN_Fenrir
Member since 2004 • 1551 Posts

Sounds like you're on the right track with your stealthy character! The stealth elements in Oblivion are widely believed to be some of its best asepcts. I would say yes, absolutely join the Dark Brotherhood and complete that questline. In my opinion, that's the best part of the game, followed closely by the Thieves Guild questline.

Next, I would say start picking up some various magics to supplement your skills. Conjuration is a great skill that goes hand-in-hand with ranged combat, and so is Illusion. Plus, both of these skills are extremely easy and fast to train, and they are a good introduction to creating a more magic-focused character, which I highly recommend that you do if and when you decide to retire your archer.

Then there's Alchemy, which is probably the best skill in the game, and which you should absolutely be using if you're an archer. A hidden upside to mastering Alchemy is that it automatically puts you off wandering the countryside in search of various ingredients, which will give you all kinds of new encounters and experiences.

Overall, I would say that ranged stealth/magic is probably the most powerful path you can take with your character. The combination of sneak attack bonuses, poisons and various types of damaging magics all inflicted from afar, makes your character extremely deadly and exceptionally hard to kill. However, I would actually say that melee stealth/magic (a nightblade, essentially) is probably the most fun you can have with a character. You really have to get creative and plan ahead for every encounter when you don't have distance as an advantage. That's my highest recommendation.

Also, most mods work exactly the same on the Steam version, as do mod utilities like OBMM and OBSE. So mod to your heart's content! :)

nooblet69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12 nooblet69
Member since 2004 • 5162 Posts

I suggest downloading the nehrim mod for oblivion. It's basically a whole new game and I am enjoying it more than I did oblivion.

LIONHEART-_-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LIONHEART-_-
Member since 2010 • 2520 Posts

Thieves Guild side quests are really fun.

LIONHEART-_-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 LIONHEART-_-
Member since 2010 • 2520 Posts

I suggest downloading the nehrim mod for oblivion. It's basically a whole new game and I am enjoying it more than I did oblivion.

nooblet69

Thank you for the information. I'm downloading it right now :)

And BTW is the gameplay long? How many hours have you played it? I'm so very HYPED

icedout06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 icedout06
Member since 2003 • 305 Posts
thieves guild, dark brotherhood for sure the vampire hunters questsline is pretty cool, involves alot of infiltrating vampire lairs and dispatching them, and when u finish it u get some nice rewards and after its over u can bring them vampire dust from vampires u killed and they pay you (cant remember the name of the quest or where it starts, but google can help )
Daytona_178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 Daytona_178
Member since 2005 • 14962 Posts

Apparently installing Nehrim is the best thing to do :P

uberpunage101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 uberpunage101
Member since 2009 • 436 Posts

Exploration is always really fun, along with Bark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild, and pretty much every side questline.

Ah yes, and get Shivering Isles if you are bored after that

chapman86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 chapman86
Member since 2004 • 583 Posts

I didnt read what other people wrote above, but have you thought about killing EVERYONE in the cyrodill?

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
Funnest part of Oblivion was quitting and installing Morrowind. Sorry, I had to.
millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts
[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"]Funnest part of Oblivion was quitting and installing Morrowind. Sorry, I had to.

I am sorry too. I support this :P. I just can not have fun with Oblivion for some reason. I hate the atmosphere, setting. I downloaded tons of mods and I still can not bring myself to play it for more than 10 minutes.
ssvegeta555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ssvegeta555
Member since 2003 • 2448 Posts
[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"]Funnest part of Oblivion was quitting and installing Morrowind. Sorry, I had to.

Beat me to it, lol.
digitalgator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 digitalgator
Member since 2005 • 292 Posts

Oblivion was fun, most fun I had was killing every NPC I could.

MythPro1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 MythPro1
Member since 2003 • 2746 Posts

Uninstalling it always provided a good deal of fun and enjoyment.

I kid, I kid. :)

Edit - BLAST somebody beat me to the punch!

Err umm, it was fun...crap.

The_OT_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 The_OT_Man
Member since 2010 • 80 Posts
Before you install Nehrim, make sure to copy your game files as no matter what, since you use steam, nehrim will overwrite your data files. Also, read the directions in the readme or it won't work, there's a couple things you need to do. In the readme, it says something like "instructions for those without steam" and "for those with steam" or something like that. Make sure to read BOTH as the last half of the "instructions for those without steam" part has half of the instructions you need to make it work with steam... Also, install oblivion mod manager. It will help you install mods. Then search and download Qarl's Texture pack 3 redimized, improved trees and flora 2, and Beaming Sunglare. They make an insane difference. You can copy your textures into the oblivion data files before you install nehrim, then the nehrim installer will automatically copy them over into it's own install directory. Before you start the game with the texture mods though, open oblivion mod manager, click utilities, archive invalidation, then check BSA alteration, and textures and meshes in the "file types to include" section. Then it looks like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbgyUSIPkTA (That's my game in Nehrim btw)
BPOilExecutive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 BPOilExecutive
Member since 2010 • 112 Posts

Funnest part of Oblivion was quitting and installing Morrowind. Sorry, I had to.KHAndAnime

HAHA

Morrowind sucked compared to Oblivion. I am a fan of older games and probaly older than more than half of who post here prefering Fallout 1 over 2 and 3 for a reference point.

Oblivion is a much better game in all aspects - higlighting graphics, story, and mods.