Intel is poised to deal a heavy blow to the cable TV industry.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MW2ismygame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 MW2ismygame
Member since 2010 • 2188 Posts

Apparently intels new smart TV's will eventually have the ability for users to selectively subscribe to channels(its rumored that even specific shows as well) that they want to watch for just $80 a month as long as the TV is connected to the internet. IF done properly this may put up some stiff competition to current cable providers who only offer expensive bundles with channels that you never watch.

More on this:

http://www.businessinsider.com/intel-cable-2013-1#ixzz2GkSFccYf

I see alot of potential for this if they succeed, and I would even consider buying a smart TV in the near future if it did. What do you guys think ?

CityOfShips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 CityOfShips
Member since 2008 • 654 Posts

I think it most definitely could be cool, but if I'm not mistaken, smart TVs are still quite expensive. It could be great for someone who wants shows that are only offered on TV, but doesn't want full cable, but you can get a cable TV service for around the same price as the subscription Intel is proposing.

I would love to see this succeed, but I think the few major cable companies have such a strange hold over the market right now that it will be a while before we see some significant change.

MW2ismygame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MW2ismygame

I think it most definitely could be cool, but if I'm not mistaken, smart TVs are still quite expensive. It could be great for someone who wants shows that are only offered on TV, but doesn't want full cable, but you can get a cable TV service for around the same price as the subscription Intel is proposing.

I would love to see this succeed, but I think the few major cable companies have such a strange hold over the market right now that it will be a while before we see some significant change.

CityOfShips

I would imagine that if this does pay off and intel does get a foothold in the industry, they will maybe bring down the price of their smart tv's, maybe have a bid discount if you buy with a subscription.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

so why would the networks want to work with intel if it would only make them less money?

MW2ismygame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MW2ismygame

so why would the networks want to work with intel if it would only make them less money?

JigglyWiggly_
Thats the point it would not be through the networks it would be through intel. To make intel the provider.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

no, the content providers, not cable co's

MW2ismygame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MW2ismygame

Ah, my fault. I would assume that there would be some benefits to having individual channels being purchased. For all we know at this point the money lost on the bundle deals could be made up with intel asking for a smaller cut maybe ? idk really.

SovietsUnited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#8 SovietsUnited
Member since 2009 • 2457 Posts

In my country cable costs around 7$, so I don't think I'll switch anytime soon :D

JKnaperek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JKnaperek
Member since 2006 • 2023 Posts
Can't see paying for something that is free already.
Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#10 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts
Internet, Netflix, Fuse, etc TVs been obsolete and a waste of money for a long time.
trastamad03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 trastamad03
Member since 2006 • 4859 Posts
80$... and that's selective channels? I'm currently paying 60$ for my tv and it's mostly channels I don't watch... I think i'll keep mine.
achilles614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 achilles614
Member since 2005 • 5310 Posts
intel asking for a smaller cut maybe ?MW2ismygame
Well that sure won't happen.
AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
Netflix killed Cable TV for me.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#14 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
[QUOTE="trastamad03"]80$... and that's selective channels? I'm currently paying 60$ for my tv and it's mostly channels I don't watch... I think i'll keep mine.

My thoughts exactly. Selective channels should be cheaper. For instance, I would only want Discovery, History, and Sports channels. I don't care for HBO and all the other channels that come with cable TV. And that would cost me $80? My cable company gives me a ton of channels for less.
Avatar image for HouseMuzik4Life
HouseMuzik4Life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 HouseMuzik4Life
Member since 2010 • 134 Posts
People are still brainwashed by that thing ?
HyperWarlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 HyperWarlock
Member since 2011 • 3295 Posts

The thing about T.V is, I don't actually know what i'm going to watch. I have a package that allows me to watch any channel I want. Sometimes I like to flick through the channels to just see what's on and see if I can find something decent. I have actually discovered a few shows this way.

geitenvla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#17 geitenvla
Member since 2006 • 960 Posts

I don't know about the rest of the world, but I hardly ever watch TV anymore since every show I want to see, is available online (and soooooo much more than that). Also, if I hook up a mediocre PC to my TV-set, it's still smarter (in terms of capabilities) than ANY crap they sell as "smart-tv".

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#18 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11793 Posts

Internet, Netflix, Fuse, etc TVs been obsolete and a waste of money for a long time.Legolas_Katarn

Agreed.

Though the only downside is a lot of decent shows get cancelled, because the networks didn't factor in viewers from places like Hulu, or Netflix.

Though that is a problem with the networks being slow to adapt.

James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

$80 is to high. You can basically get most none premium channels for 60 a month.