Installing Windows 7 help...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MxAa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 MxAa
Member since 2005 • 906 Posts

So I have ordered my parts to build my new rig. I am using the same psu (750 watt) with 8 pin connector and 24 pin hook up, same hard drives (raid config at 600 gb), and same sound card. I'm replacing the motherboard (with a z68), ram, video card, and putting in a core i5 2500k. My question is, will I be able to use my current hard drives to install windows 7 on? If so do I have to wipe the drives some how before installing the new mobo and attempting to install windows 7? The connectors look the same on the new mobo, as my hard drives are from around 2007 era. Any help would be apprieciated thanks.

MxAa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MxAa

Oh and I forgot to mention right now windows xp is what is installed on my computer right now, so I don't need to keep my system install or anything when I switch the mobo (just need to install windows 7 fresh).

Xsan3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 Xsan3
Member since 2009 • 2618 Posts

Your HDD's should do just fine . . AND you could try setting up your PC without having to Re-Install Win7... I did the same thing with one of my PC's...I bought a whole new mobo, Cpu and Gfx card - and when I went to start up the PC to make sure it turned on properly - -I was really suprised How well Win7 recognized all my New Components - and I never had to used my Win7 disk.
However, there is the chance you may be so lucky - - But it defintately wouldnt hurt to try. And if you're concerned about losing data - then certainly back that data up before you swap HDD's.

*also* if Win7 does boot up on ur new PC without reinstalling , then you shouldnt have any problems deleting the old drivers .

And if you are wanting to Completely Wipe your HDD and reinstall Win7 , That wont be any problem either....

howlrunner13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 howlrunner13
Member since 2005 • 4408 Posts

No, you don't have to wipe them before installing new components. It'll boot up the same as before and then you can install Windows 7 (which WILL wipe your harddrive so make sure you back everything up that you want saved)

MxAa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MxAa

Your HDD's should do just fine . . AND you could try setting up your PC without having to Re-Install Win7... I did the same thing with one of my PC's...I bought a whole new mobo, Cpu and Gfx card - and when I went to start up the PC to make sure it turned on properly - -I was really suprised How well Win7 recognized all my New Components - and I never had to used my Win7 disk.
However, there is the chance you may be so lucky - - But it defintately wouldnt hurt to try. And if you're concerned about losing data - then certainly back that data up before you swap HDD's.

*also* if Win7 does boot up on ur new PC without reinstalling , then you shouldnt have any problems deleting the old drivers .

And if you are wanting to Completely Wipe your HDD and reinstall Win7 , That wont be any problem either....

Xsan3

No you are misunderstanding me, I am installing windows 7 brand new... meaning windows xp is what is installed on my hard drive right now... (I haven't put in the new mobo with the hard drives). I DO NOT want to recover windows xp on my new configuration. I want to install windows 7 off the bat (I am purchasing windows 7 soon). Do you know of a link that explains clearly how to wipe the hard drives? Or can I just install windows 7 over what ever is on there and it will wipe it for me?

MxAa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MxAa

No, you don't have to wipe them before installing new components. It'll boot up the same as before and then you can install Windows 7 (which WILL wipe your harddrive so make sure you back everything up that you want saved)

howlrunner13

Ah okay thats what I was asking lol. Thanks I'll prob just do that. This comp I have nothing valuable on right now (I use my laptop for college work etc.) and has been unused for a while. I don't think I'll bother backing anything up, thanks!

humpdabump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 humpdabump
Member since 2011 • 92 Posts

[QUOTE="Xsan3"]

MxAa

No you are misunderstanding me, I am installing windows 7 brand new... meaning windows xp is what is installed on my hard drive right now... (I haven't put in the new mobo with the hard drives). I DO NOT want to recover windows xp on my new configuration. I want to install windows 7 off the bat (I am purchasing windows 7 soon). Do you know of a link that explains clearly how to wipe the hard drives? Or can I just install windows 7 over what ever is on there and it will wipe it for me?

You'll be asked when you install Windows 7 if you wanna have the HDD wiped out b4 the installation. You can also make new partitions, which will also wipe out the HDD.

Xsan3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 Xsan3
Member since 2009 • 2618 Posts

[QUOTE="Xsan3"]

MxAa

Okay - I see... Yeah, There are Miles of information on How To install Windows 7. I would Give you a Link, but for some reason GS wont let me attach links to my posts . . . But if you Google, you'll have More than enough info abou that.

i will give a quick once over though . . .

For one , Yes, Win 7 will completely Wipe out all of your Information - Drivers, etc...once you install everything.

So, Step one - Boot From Disk . . or USB , however you plan on doing so.

Step two - once you get to a screen that says "Advanced options" Select that, then Select the Drive or Partition you wish to Completely Format/Delete.

Then Click Next . . . Win7 will take care of the Rest. Takes A little Less than an Hour on most PC's to install fully....

Hope that helps atleast.

MxAa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MxAa

Thanks a lot! I figured I could do so, just thought maybe there was the off chance I was wrong.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#10 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
Your drives will work and the wipe will be automatic, the windows install will do that for you so you don't have to worry. You can install old HDDs on a new Mobo very easily so don't worry as they will work.
GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

form@t c:/s

@=a

I have no idea why that is word filtered

This gets rid of all your data