Installing 64-bit windows question

This topic is locked from further discussion.

couly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#1 couly
Member since 2004 • 6278 Posts
I currently have 32 bit windows 7, can i restore all my data from a backup drive such as games and that or do I have to install all my software again?
ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

I currently have 32 bit windows 7, can i restore all my data from a backup drive such as games and that or do I have to install all my software again?couly
if going form 32-bit ot 64-bit windows 7 all your programs and files will remain intact. its wise to backup. but safe to just go right to 64-bit. nothing will change omitting one exception. before i make you aware of it. do you own a BOXED copy of borderlands? if not the exception doesnt apply.

BenwaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 BenwaQ
Member since 2009 • 129 Posts

You cannot upgrade from 32 bits to 64 bits. You will have to install Windows anew. After that, you will have to reinstall all your games and programs.

chris24l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 chris24l
Member since 2006 • 1288 Posts

you will have to install all programs again.

Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts

You cannot upgrade from 32 bits to 64 bits. You will have to install Windows anew. After that, you will have to reinstall all your games and programs.

BenwaQ
yeah, 64-bit pretty much requires a reformat and reinstall afaik. if you already have windows 7, you CAN manually back up a lot of this - hit the start menu and run the 'windows 7 easy transfer.' it runs through and manually backs up your user profile to a file (external drive), which can then be run again from the new computer and will import your profile, desktop, shortcuts, favorites, my documents, etc - and any other folders that you manually select. it will NOT move programs, as that is impossible, but it can bring pretty much all the data no problem. stuff like Steam you can just copy the steam folder itself and re-run the installer - 90% of the savegames that Steam keeps are inside the Steam folder. I haven't tried doing a 32-64 Steam port before, though it'll likely work fine.
Peter_Eater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#6 Peter_Eater
Member since 2006 • 3721 Posts

Hey C!

As far as the installed programs are considered, you'll have to re-install them. Games too. But, you can easily save all your (well probably over 99%) data and game saves& some preferences.

Every time I do a reinstall (did well over couple hundred at my old job) I simply copy the user folder. In Win 7 it's in C:\Users\(your username). Copy the whole folder with all the hidden files. This will include the AppData folder that houses over 90% of your application preferences. You would also be advised to copy the "Public" folder under "Users" too (C:\Users\Public), because some of the settings & prefs are stored here.

Now, for restoring this, you simply copy the two folders back after the fresh installation of windows, accepting to overwrite all files & merge all folders and when few files notification that can't be overwritten, just click cancel. Keep in mind that if you use the same username when you do a fresh install as is your current username you can just overwrite the whole folder, but if you've changed the user name, you'll need to turn on the option to show hidden files & folders and then copy the content of the folder to the new one.

C:\Users structure is universal to both 32 & 64 bit OS, so no worries about that.

Now, best practice for backing up files is making double sure you don't loose anything. I did this in my ex company by making a backup image of the whole machine by using a 3rd party software (we used "Acronis Backup & Recovery" boot image & external USB HDD's) and then the procedure I described above. That way, you can install fresh OS and copy the files back, and if anything goes awry you can fully restore your machine to previous state with Acronis.

Now, about the Acronis- There are surely many 3rd pary backup tools, but I loved Acronis boot image and learned to trust it, because it makes a snapshot of the whole machine (all the drivers, programs, settings, files- everything) that if needed is restored to a completely the same state before you did anything to your machine (software wise). This does exclude hardware changes, though. Acronis image can still recover all your files, but if you changed the hardware in the meantime you cannot restore the full image.

I hope I helped. Feel free to contact me if you need any further advice.

Cheers mate!

M.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts
[QUOTE="BenwaQ"]

Makari
yeah, 64-bit pretty much requires a reformat and reinstall afaik. if you already have windows 7, you CAN manually back up a lot of this - hit the start menu and run the 'windows 7 easy transfer.' it runs through and manually backs up your user profile to a file (external drive), which can then be run again from the new computer and will import your profile, desktop, shortcuts, favorites, my documents, etc - and any other folders that you manually select. it will NOT move programs, as that is impossible, but it can bring pretty much all the data no problem. stuff like Steam you can just copy the steam folder itself and re-run the installer - 90% of the savegames that Steam keeps are inside the Steam folder. I haven't tried doing a 32-64 Steam port before, though it'll likely work fine.

I went from vista 32 to win7 64, i just copy pasted steam from one HDD to another, ran flawlessly
Peter_Eater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Peter_Eater
[QUOTE="BenwaQ"]

Makari

Makari pointed out the steam thing, and he's correct. Steam and some games store the data in their install folders as opposed to AppData folder, so pay attention to backing up these manually and I think steam has an option of making backups from it's interface. And just to give you a heads-up, 64 & 32 are not all that different. The most prominent difference is that your 32 bit programs will be installed in "Program Files x86" and your 64 ones in "Program Files" folder. And the fact that you need 64 bit drivers for your hardware. Everything else is pretty much the same. Also, I'm yet to come across an 32 bit app that is unable to run on 64 bit system...
couly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 couly
[QUOTE="Makari"][QUOTE="BenwaQ"]

Peter_Eater

Makari pointed out the steam thing, and he's correct. Steam and some games store the data in their install folders as opposed to AppData folder, so pay attention to backing up these manually and I think steam has an option of making backups from it's interface. And just to give you a heads-up, 64 & 32 are not all that different. The most prominent difference is that your 32 bit programs will be installed in "Program Files x86" and your 64 ones in "Program Files" folder. And the fact that you need 64 bit drivers for your hardware. Everything else is pretty much the same. Also, I'm yet to come across an 32 bit app that is unable to run on 64 bit system...

You've been a great help, thanks. I basically want to get good use out of my 8GB RAM and my i7. What if I copy my entire C drive to an external drive and pick and choose what I want?
Peter_Eater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Peter_Eater
[QUOTE="couly"][QUOTE="Peter_Eater"][QUOTE="Makari"] yeah, 64-bit pretty much requires a reformat and reinstall afaik. if you already have windows 7, you CAN manually back up a lot of this - hit the start menu and run the 'windows 7 easy transfer.' it runs through and manually backs up your user profile to a file (external drive), which can then be run again from the new computer and will import your profile, desktop, shortcuts, favorites, my documents, etc - and any other folders that you manually select. it will NOT move programs, as that is impossible, but it can bring pretty much all the data no problem. stuff like Steam you can just copy the steam folder itself and re-run the installer - 90% of the savegames that Steam keeps are inside the Steam folder. I haven't tried doing a 32-64 Steam port before, though it'll likely work fine.

You've been a great help, thanks. I basically want to get good use out of my 8GB RAM and my i7. What if I copy my entire C drive to an external drive and pick and choose what I want?

Sure. Just make sure you copy all the files (hidden ones especially), and expect many of the files that are system-related to be unable to be copied (mostly because they will be a part of running process). But you will not want to be copying those back anyway. Once again I recommend doing a some sort of image backup (as I did with Acronis) just to be extra safe.
Peter_Eater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Peter_Eater
One more thing, I'm extra paranoid when doing a fresh install on a multi-partition drive... I make triple sure I don't end up destroying the wrong partition. What's your C setup? Is it on single, or multi-partition physical drive?
couly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 couly
[QUOTE="Peter_Eater"]One more thing, I'm extra paranoid when doing a fresh install on a multi-partition drive... I make triple sure I don't end up destroying the wrong partition. What's your C setup? Is it on single, or multi-partition physical drive?

just a single drive. I will just copy all my data and saved games. I think I'll be ok, cheers.
Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
[QUOTE="couly"][QUOTE="Peter_Eater"]One more thing, I'm extra paranoid when doing a fresh install on a multi-partition drive... I make triple sure I don't end up destroying the wrong partition. What's your C setup? Is it on single, or multi-partition physical drive?

just a single drive. I will just copy all my data and saved games. I think I'll be ok, cheers.

Yeah, I've gotten much lazier on partitions and drives. Right now I have an SSD, a fast WD Black for most games, and a 2TB WD Green for all the large junk, photos, etc. The Win7 Easy Transfer tool that I mentioned pretty much just automates the moving data/savegames thing. Anything in AppData gets caught for sure, stuff like Steam you just click 'Advanced' and make sure it was checked.
couly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 couly
[QUOTE="Makari"][QUOTE="couly"][QUOTE="Peter_Eater"]One more thing, I'm extra paranoid when doing a fresh install on a multi-partition drive... I make triple sure I don't end up destroying the wrong partition. What's your C setup? Is it on single, or multi-partition physical drive?

Yeah, I've gotten much lazier on partitions and drives. Right now I have an SSD, a fast WD Black for most games, and a 2TB WD Green for all the large junk, photos, etc. Thanks man The Win7 Easy Transfer tool that I mentioned pretty much just automates the moving data/savegames thing. Anything in AppData gets caught for sure, stuff like Steam you just click 'Advanced' and make sure it was checked.