Indigo Prophecy kinda games!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by alan_carter (1404 posts) -

Heavy Rain is the only one coming to mind. I didn't finish Indigo Prophecy aka Fahrenheit, it gets kinda boring at the end.

#2 Posted by PcGamingRig (7383 posts) -

Heavy Rain is the closest thing and it is even better than Fahrenheit. :)

Can't wait for Beyond.

#3 Posted by Pitfiend23 (143 posts) -

Anyone know any games like Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy? I haven't gamed in almost an year now. That was one crack addictive game. The closest to Fahrenheit was this game called Heavy Rain. I have scourged the internet and could not find any game like Indigo Prophecy. Is there any game, like Indigo Prophecy..in terms of the story and progression? Someone recommended me Alan Wake and I got around to playing it but boy, it was nothing like Indigo Prophecy...I didn't even complete it. Any suggestions anyone?

#4 Posted by Byshop (18351 posts) -

Anyone know any games like Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy? I haven't gamed in almost an year now. That was one crack addictive game. The closest to Fahrenheit was this game called Heavy Rain. I have scourged the internet and could not find any game like Indigo Prophecy. Is there any game, like Indigo Prophecy..in terms of the story and progression? Someone recommended me Alan Wake and I got around to playing it but boy, it was nothing like Indigo Prophecy...I didn't even complete it. Any suggestions anyone?

Pitfiend23

Quantic Dream's games are generally pretty unique. Probably the closest thing I can recommend in modern games would be "The Walking Dead" adventure game from Telltale. If you want to go back a few years you can try out Quantic Dream's first game, Omikron, although I wouldn't say it's anywhere near as good as Indigo or Heavy Rain.

There's one more old DOS game that came out a long time ago from Broderbund (back when they existed) called The Last Express. It was a multi-million dollar game, which back then was pretty unheard of, and it was a massive commercial flop in spite of great critical reviews. Expect Myst-era graphics but it's a murder mystery that takes place on the Orient Express over three days in real time.

-Byshop

#5 Posted by GD1551 (9645 posts) -

If you have a PS3 Beyond: Two souls comes out this year. There's also the walking dead games.

#6 Posted by Planeforger (17349 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pitfiend23"]

Byshop

Quantic Dream's games are generally pretty unique. Probably the closest thing I can recommend in modern games would be "The Walking Dead" adventure game from Telltale. If you want to go back a few years you can try out Quantic Dream's first game, Omikron, although I wouldn't say it's anywhere near as good as Indigo or Heavy Rain.

There's one more old DOS game that came out a long time ago from Broderbund (back when they existed) called The Last Express. It was a multi-million dollar game, which back then was pretty unheard of, and it was a massive commercial flop in spite of great critical reviews. Expect Myst-era graphics but it's a murder mystery that takes place on the Orient Express over three days in real time.

-Byshop

I was going to suggest The Walking Dead as well, but damn good call with The Last Express. I suspect Fahrenheit owes a lot to that game, at least in terms of the QTE action sequences. It also might be worth checking out Omikron: The Nomad Soul. That was Quantic Dream's first big game, although I have no idea what the gameplay is like.
#7 Posted by Byshop (18351 posts) -

I was going to suggest The Walking Dead as well, but damn good call with The Last Express. I suspect Fahrenheit owes a lot to that game, at least in terms of the QTE action sequences. It also might be worth checking out Omikron: The Nomad Soul. That was Quantic Dream's first big game, although I have no idea what the gameplay is like.Planeforger

Yeah, looking back they have a lot in common. The whole "many, many endings" thing where in both games every way you can fail/die is considered another "ending". In both games, you can get yourself arrested basically right at the beginning of the game and that's considered an "ending".

Omikron was... ambitious but not what I'd call a "great" game strictly speaking. It was a semi-open world 3rd person shooter/brawler that came out on PC and Dreamcast. It started out pretty cool, but there were some poor design choices that made it border on unplayable by the end. Still, for games of that time it had a much more cinematic feel than most with a greater emphasis on freedom and story telling. I'd say that over the years Quantic Dream has refined their formula as with each game they have been getting progressively better, with Heavy Rain being the best to date. Indigo was good, but it was really heavy on the QTEs and the story went from decent to batsh!t insane by the 3rd act.

The only other games I can think of that are like this would be straight up adventure games. These tend to have no actual "action" the way Indigo and Heavy Rain do and unfortunately most of them also have linear stories. If you go back a few more years you can get into some pretty interesting games like the Phantasmagoria series and Harvester.

-Byshop

#8 Posted by cain006 (8625 posts) -

I agree with Walking Dead.

Also if you just want branching storylines and don't care what type of gameplay, check out Alpha Protocol. Plays nothing like those games but it's great and the story is very dependant on your choices.

#9 Posted by SPYDER0416 (16736 posts) -

The Walking Dead I think kinda is like it, but if you want to play more games like it you'll need a PS3 for Heavy Rain and Beyond: Two Souls (made by the same creators).

#10 Posted by skrat_01 (33767 posts) -
The Walking Dead, Gemini Rue and other Wadjey Eye games. Heavy Rain is more or less an adventure game with some mini-game and qte mechanics blended with a cinematic, directed angle. There are tons of excellent adventure games out there. Also, mad props to Byshop for his Last Express recommendation - it's a beautiful and really intelligent game; a whole lot deeper then Fahrenheit and Heavy Rain, with some stunning design - though the animation is pretty ho-hum, because rotoscoped visuals impacting on the animation budget I imagine. Also you can buy Quantic Dream's first game Omikron: Nomad Soul on GOG.com, which honestly is one of if not the most ambitious and interesting game they've ever produced. It even has David godamn Bowie in it singing an original song created for the game. Pretty flaming cool.