In need of some good non-fantasy rpgs.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 xxninja666xx
Member since 2011 • 737 Posts

I've recently been playing Fallout 3 and New Vegas a lot. I've already completed it and I don't want to start over too soon. But the problem is that these two games didn't provide me enough entertainment and I'm in need of new games. Can you recommend any good rpg games or rpg/action game hybrids in any setting different from fantasy? I'm tired of chivalry, swordfights and fighting dragons. I wanna try something different. My obvious choice would be Stalker, but my friend spoiled me the endings to all of Stalker games (and got hit for that :P), so for now no Stalker to me, as it would be pointless to play.

The game must contain:

*Non-linear storyline

*Good replayability

*Character customization and adjusting it to my own playing style

*Lots of items, weapons, armor, treasures to collect

*Lots of sidequests to do when tired of main plot

Greatly appreciated but optional:

*Open world with lots of places to visit

*3D

*FPP/TPP action game & RPG hybrid

*Post-apocalyptic setting

Absolutely not:

*Too complicated (hint: Baldur's Gate, NWN and any other Bioware's older rpg was too complicated. To my surprise Black Isle's weren't.)

*Fantasy setting

*Dumbed down clickfest like Diablo or other games of that type

Don't say Borderlands & Deus Ex. I tried them and didn't like them much. Also don't tell me to play older Fallouts cause I completed both of them several years ago.

My rig:

Amd Athlon x2 5000+

3GB Ram

GeForce 8600gt 256MB

Windows Vista 32-bit

xWoW_Rougex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 xWoW_Rougex
Member since 2009 • 2793 Posts

TOO COMPLICATED? Booooo! Get back there and keep trying! There's Knights of the old republic. these aren't that complicated! And there's Jade Empire... And there is Arcanum... and the best of them all: Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 xxninja666xx

TOO COMPLICATED? Booooo! Get back there and keep trying! xWoW_Rougex

Nah, man. I'm playing games for fun, not to torture myself with trials and errors of understanding an rpg system. Ok, about the games: KotOR - never liked Star Wars (fanboy attack in 3, 2 , 1...). Is it really worth playing despite not liking SW? Arcanum - played it not a long time ago, but it seemed a little too hard for me. Too many enemies from the start. I always missed and that resulted in breaking my saber in half, but who knows, maybe I'll try it again when in mood. Jade Empire - played, completed. Was quite a nice experience. It wasn't really an epic adventure but it was great to play.

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
The complicated RPGS have the biggest payoff in terms of story and characters though. Its not like it's not worth learning them. I recommend Vampire: Bloodlines, Arcanum, and Mask Of The Betrayer, Fallout 2. All four are complicated but incredibly fun.
slabber44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 slabber44
Member since 2004 • 985 Posts
Might not fit all your criteria, but Anachronx on GOG.com is one of my all time favorites. Dated graphics, but great story and fun to play. Looking for something newer you might want to look at the first Mass Effect. It also doesn't fit all your criteria, but it should still be something to look at if you haven't already.
xWoW_Rougex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 xWoW_Rougex
Member since 2009 • 2793 Posts

[QUOTE="xWoW_Rougex"]

TOO COMPLICATED? Booooo! Get back there and keep trying! xxninja666xx

Nah, man. I'm playing games for fun, not to torture myself with trials and errors of understanding an rpg system. Ok, about the games: KotOR - never liked Star Wars (fanboy attack in 3, 2 , 1...). Is it really worth playing despite not liking SW? Arcanum - played it not a long time ago, but it seemed a little too hard for me. Too many enemies from the start. I always missed and that resulted in breaking my saber in half, but who knows, maybe I'll try it again when in mood. Jade Empire - played, completed. Was quite a nice experience. It wasn't really an epic adventure but it was great to play.

Hey you didn't mentioned Vampires! I assume you've played it then?

Anyway regarding Star Wars... Yes, I'd say they are worth playing. I like the games a lot and it's worth pointing out I am not a big fan of Star Wars at all, the only good movie is the one with that Anakin as a child, and that hilarious, weird, something. The later movies are booooring and the older ones are just plain suckiness. I'd recommend you play that game and just think of it as a great sci-fi rpg.

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 xxninja666xx

@GodModeEnabled What kind of setting there is in Vampire Bloodlines? From what I saw from the gameplays it's a modern setting with vampires. A little weird imo. I said that Black Isle's/Interplay's rpgs weren't complicated to me, so weren't the first two Fallout, which I completed. For my opinion on Arcanum look up. @slabber44 I saw some gameplays of Anachronox. The game seemed pretty good to me, but I didn't know if it was good or not. I don't really care about the graphics so it doesn't matter if it's dated :) I also got a lot of recommendations from my friends about Mass Effect. I think I'll choose either Anachronox or Mass Effect (or both, one after the other :P). Any other recommendations?

xWoW_Rougex

Oops, didn't notice it. You gotta forgive me, I'm a little tired today :P

IcyToasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 IcyToasters
Member since 2007 • 12476 Posts

My obvious choice would be Stalker, but my friend spoiled me the endings to all of Stalker games (and got hit for that :P), so for now no Stalker to me, as it would be pointless to play.

xxninja666xx

I like the story in Shadow Of Chernobyl a lot. And Call Of Pripyat's wasn't bad.
But the games are still good when I know how they end. There's also seeing how it progresses (in Call Of Pripyat the part of the story that I might've liked the most was finding things out the related to the first games.. The actual ending was kind of abrupt) Some of the few games I actually go back to replay.

and they're not expensive.
and Shadow Of Chernobyl has seven endings depending on how you play it.

..So STALKER. ;D

even though if you're looking for an RPG I get that you probably want the full story to discover!

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 xxninja666xx
Yea, I'm gonna play Stalker but not now. I must forget those spoilers first, cause the thing you wrote with smaller font is exactly what I want.
D1zzyCriminal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 D1zzyCriminal
Member since 2009 • 1839 Posts

Alpha Protocol. I've only just started playing it properly. Its a bit wonky but engaging and fun.

If you want every feature in you're 'Must' list, you're pretty much stuck to Fallout.

Alondrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Alondrix
Member since 2010 • 38 Posts

They are older games, but available on GoG. Clasics, imho. Give these two a look: Septerra Corp and Gorky 17.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts
You're not supposed to play STALKER for the story.....
xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 xxninja666xx
You're not supposed to play STALKER for the story.....Toxic-Seahorse
Lol, if not for a story, then for what? Great shooting system? RPGs are played mainly for great story, so how can I possibly an rpg not caring for the story?
Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Toxic-Seahorse

[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"]You're not supposed to play STALKER for the story.....xxninja666xx
Lol, if not for a story, then for what? Great shooting system? RPGs are played mainly for great story, so how can I possibly an rpg not caring for the story?

STALKER isn't even an RPG. It's an FPS with a couple RPG elements. Having an inventory is pretty much the only thing that is RPGish about the game. You play STALKER for the atmosphere, for the gameplay. The story is good (depending on which game you play), but it's not the main focus of the game.

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 xxninja666xx
I always care for the story. It makes gameplay more interesting. If it was just about shooting everything that moves without a reason or a plot it'd be boring as hell. As for the topic, thanks for all those titles. I'll try them all at least and if I like them, I'm gonna complete them.
Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Toxic-Seahorse

I always care for the story. It makes gameplay more interesting. If it was just about shooting everything that moves without a reason or a plot it'd be boring as hell. As for the topic, thanks for all those titles. I'll try them all at least and if I like them, I'm gonna complete them.xxninja666xx
STALKER's story isn't told like a typical RPG. It's not told to you by some narrator, you have to find it out on your own by exploring the world, talking to people and what not. A lot of people hate the story for that reason, it's not there to motivate you. You literally wake up and find something on your PDA and that is what you go by for most of the game. The real story is the story of the zone, not the player's personal journey, although that gets entertaining towards the end of the game. Not to mention STALKER has quite a few different endings.

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 xxninja666xx
Hmm... I didn't even know that Stalker has a few endings. That may be interesting, but first I really have to forget those spoilers. I just can't stand knowing something about the plot I haven't discovered by myself...
bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

If your a big 'story' guy when it comes to rpgs. Not all rpgs are played for story/characters/dialogs, btw. Some are played for combat systems for instance, like Temple of Elemental Evil, D&D Gold Box games and Dark Souls, say. Some are played for their atmosphere..

Anyway, check out..

Planescape: Torment

Mask of the Betrayer

Arcanum

(not your typical fantasy settings)

Vampire: Bloodlines

KotoR 2

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#19 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

World of Warcraft

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 xxninja666xx
@bussinrounds Except the last 2, they're all fantasy or fantasy-like. I know Arcanum is steampunk but it has strong resemblance to fantasy. I just have enough of knights, swords, magic, dragons and mythical creatures. I wanna try something different. Maybe I'll check Kotor and Vampire: Bloodlines, but for now I think I'll play Mass Effect and after beating it, Anachronox. @-Unreal- 1. I don't like multiplayer games 2. It's fantasy...
AleksandarTale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 AleksandarTale
Member since 2007 • 2906 Posts

You could try Alpha Protocol.

It has good gameplay and a lot of replayability. It's the only " decent " RPG that falls in your criteria.

The only other thing I can think of is Vampire : Bloodlines, but that has a tiny bit of fantasy in it too.

Grimlim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Grimlim
Member since 2011 • 230 Posts

The Precursors

Gamr2723

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Gamr2723
Member since 2011 • 119 Posts

As someone who also loved Fallout 3, I would encourage you also to try:

- Borderlands

- Kotor 1,2 (even though you may not like Star Wars as much, this is truly an engaging series, with an amazing story line)

- Planetscape: Torment

- Deus Ex (has great depth in character skills and development)

- Anachronox

- Alpha Protocol

- Mass Effect 1,2,3

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#24 ShadowsDemon
Member since 2012 • 10059 Posts

Deus Ex: HR?

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#25 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

alien shooter: vengenace (you need to buy a retail copy off amazon or ebay)

haafie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 haafie
Member since 2008 • 93 Posts
Mount & Blade: Warband? *Non-linear storyline --- no storyline to begin with, become king or queen is as close as it gets to a storyline *Good replayability --- many many many mods out there if you ever get tired of the vanilla game *Character customization and adjusting it to my own playing style --- horseback knight, trader with your own bodyguard or feudal warlord commanding 100s of troops *Lots of items, weapons, armor, treasures to collect --- unfortunately no treasures to collect, weapons and armor a plenty *Lots of sidequests to do when tired of main plot --- do whatever you want, help villagers, rescue prisoners...no main plot at all Greatly appreciated but optional: *Open world with lots of places to visit --- go anywhere you want *3D --- check *FPP/TPP action game & RPG hybrid --- lots of action in 3rd person or single person view *Post-apocalyptic setting --- no, more like medieval Absolutely not: *Too complicated (hint: Baldur's Gate, NWN and any other Bioware's older rpg was too complicated. To my surprise Black Isle's weren't.) --- swing your sword, buy low sell high...not complicated *Fantasy setting --- no weird weapons, no magic, no fairies...just medieval warfare with knights, knaves and damsels *Dumbed down clickfest like Diablo or other games of that type --- dumb clicking won't get you anywhere, apart from being caught by sea pirates It's on sale quite a few times, try Gamersgate, they had a sale on the other day. The same goes for Steam. It can go as low as $5 !!! Or try before you buy by going to the Talewords website.
giovannimcc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 giovannimcc
Member since 2011 • 132 Posts

Maybe Anachronox

PetJel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28 PetJel
Member since 2009 • 3725 Posts

Wow, you're picky OP. Perhaps Dishonored will give you what you seek.

Sentinel112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Sentinel112
Member since 2006 • 571 Posts
[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"]You're not supposed to play STALKER for the story.....xxninja666xx

I play rpg's for their strategy component. I could care less about story. On topic you might be interested in Krater, an upcoming rpg that will be released this summer.
Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

Alpha protocol might fit fairly well.

Vampire the masquerade: Bloodlines gets another vote from here ^^ (just remember the community patch) Likely one of my favorite games ever.

Altho Old System Shock 2 is fairly nice altho it misses a few of your bullit points and is old.

ofcourse there are the before mentioned Mass effect and Kotor games, but since you allready mentioned ME, Im fairly certain that you have considered Kotor.

Gamr2723

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Gamr2723

Deus Ex: HR?

ShadowsDemon

Actually I mean the original Deus Ex, I personally was not a big fan of Human Revolution, to me it just lacks what the original Deus Ex had, and I believe this why it is truly a classic, one the best PC games ever created. Revolutionary. :cool:

Requem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Requem
Member since 2005 • 539 Posts

- Borderlands

- Kotor 1,2 (even though you may not like Star Wars as much, this is truly an engaging series, with an amazing story line)

- Anachronox

- Alpha Protocol

- Mass Effect 1,2,3

Gamr2723

Borderlands -> great story

lol

But I agree with the rest. Especially Deus Ex series.

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 xxninja666xx
Wow, this thread is still alive? I thought nobody cared about it anymore. Ok, as for now I started playing Vampire: Bloodlines and I find it surprisingly entertaining. I haven't got deeper into the story yet but the gameplay is quite interesting. Also, the setting isn't typical - there aren't a lot of rpgs taking place in modern times. Anyways you gave me a lot of titles to try and I think it's enough when taking the fact that there aren't a lot of non-fantasy rpg games out there. Thanks a lot guys and girls for all your help.
cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#34 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

Plenty of rpgs aren't supposed to be played for the story or have a bad story.

Gamr2723

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Gamr2723

[QUOTE="Gamr2723"]

- Borderlands

- Anachronox

- Alpha Protocol

- Mass Effect 1,2,3

Requem

Borderlands -> great story

lol

But I agree with the rest. Especially Deus Ex series.

Yeah after I thought about, Borderlands does have a weak story, but it has one of the most creative weapons drop systems I have ever seen in a game, and this aspect alone makes it engaging, and interesting....and you get to shoot alot of bullets. lol :cool:

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
Mass Effect 123 kotor 12