In Need Of A Fun MMORPG

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Upupin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Upupin
Member since 2010 • 31 Posts
Hello GameSpot users. I know a lot of you play MMORPGs. I love them too, but I can't find one I like. Can you guys suggest some games for me to try? I would like it to be free, but if you really like it, then you can suggest something that cost money. Make sure you tell me it cost money if it does. I have both a Mac and PC, so If you could, give me a link to both downloads, if they have both a Mac and PC. If not, one or the other will work.
Same_Jeans_On

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Same_Jeans_On
Member since 2007 • 1171 Posts
I suppose World of Warcraft would always be a good suggestion, although Lord of the Rings Online is going free to play in coming months:)
Upupin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Upupin
I've tried the 10 day demo for WOW, and YES. That's a fun game. Lord of The Rings Online? I'll try that when it's free. :p
coreybg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 coreybg
Member since 2009 • 2608 Posts

Or if you're looking forward to SW:ToR wait 'til next year and save your money :)

WoW is the best MMO, but it tends to get really boring after a time(for me anyway)

Franko_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#5 Franko_3
Member since 2003 • 5729 Posts
I suppose World of Warcraft would always be a good suggestion, although Lord of the Rings Online is going free to play in coming months:)Same_Jeans_On
meh, it's not going to be really free. Btw you can grab lotro shadow of angmar for 2$ on gogamer.com today. It incluse a free 30 days ;)
Haris82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 Haris82
Member since 2004 • 468 Posts

Darkfall is fun if your into looting entire gear from people you kill in pvp.

kimkim01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 kimkim01
Member since 2009 • 704 Posts

DDO Online is good.

Remmib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Remmib
Member since 2010 • 2250 Posts

I'm currently enjoying City of Heroes. It always has me coming back to it, even after a 3 year long break.

This game is just unique....it costs $15 a month, but you can get the game for around $10 on Amazon which comes with 30 days free.

Also there is a 2 week free trial, here -http://www.cityofheroes.com/trial/index.html

Hekynn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Hekynn
Member since 2003 • 2164 Posts
Look up Everquest 1 and 2. Or just wait for the Old Republic.
Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts
How is Runes of Magic? Anybody play this one?
Crimsader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Crimsader
Member since 2008 • 11672 Posts
Be careful with WoW however! If you start that game you may find yourself addicted to it! I'll recommend either Age of Conan or the new LoTR free mmo :)
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ChiliDragon
Member since 2006 • 8444 Posts
How is Runes of Magic? Anybody play this one?Renevent42
Gameplay is supposedly like WoW (that I've never played). I enjoy it... it has an understated sense of humor that fits mine, the community surprised me in a very good way, and it's fun. Quickly gets grind yif you solo it though.
hooded1man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 hooded1man
Member since 2004 • 1099 Posts

I play WoW, its extremely polished and well balanced. It's a little slow in the beginning, might not be for a newcomer, but the regular old Vanilla WoW leveling areas get boring. The dungeon tool makes it a lot more fun to level in most cases, except for the occasional douche.

Upupin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Upupin
Great suggestions guys. I think I'll be playing some very fun games. Can you suggest more free ones? Something that if I don't like it, I can just delete it?
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ChiliDragon
Can you suggest more free ones? Something that if I don't like it, I can just delete it?Upupin
There's a good list here... It lets you sort by genre, and has full reviews, game play videos, and other good stuff.
MadCat46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MadCat46
Member since 2004 • 1494 Posts
EVE Online is pretty good if you can get the hang of it. Has a 14 day free trial if you want to give it a spin.
sururick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 sururick
Member since 2004 • 51 Posts

Ultima Online is my favorite mmorpg.
http://www.uoherald.com/stygianabyss/launch/

Upupin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Upupin
[QUOTE="Upupin"]Can you suggest more free ones? Something that if I don't like it, I can just delete it?ChiliDragon
There's a good list here... It lets you sort by genre, and has full reviews, game play videos, and other good stuff.

Yes, I've heard of that website. I want a suggestion from you, not a website that may be paid to advertise games.
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ChiliDragon
Yes, I've heard of that website. I want a suggestion from you, not a website that may be paid to advertise games.Upupin
And I made one earlier. It seemed arrogant to assume your taste in MMOs is exactly the same as mine when I can just give you a link to as many reviews as I can find, and let you make a decision based on your own preferences and research.
JW-toch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 JW-toch
Member since 2008 • 344 Posts

World of Warcraft is a really great MMORPG, probably the best out there. But be warned, it's a huge timesink. :P

Kougeki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Kougeki
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
None!
Meteor7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 129

#23 Meteor7
Member since 2005 • 534 Posts

In my past experiences with MMOs I can tell you which ones I have enjoyed.

My first MMO was EQ and EQ 2 and it is difficult for the most part. You have lots of classes/races, an assortment of professions, and interesting areas to quest. Hell you even getto customize your own house.Although like I said it will kick you in the balls and laugh at you while you try to play the game and learn to play.

Second was WoW, it is fun and simple. You have a good amount of races, classes, professions, raids, dungeons, BGs , and story lines. Although the game is terribly addicting be careful how much you are willing to play. Take it easy and don't overplay or you will either A.) Never stop playing you will play all day and night or B.) become bored.

Third was City of Heroes and Villains, I loved this game for the fact that the customization was amazing as hell. You could create the hero/villain of your dreams pretty much. You have an assortment of powers at your disposal and tons to do. Though it seems that some of the quest dungeon places were coppied and pasted most look too alike.

Fourth was Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning, fun PvP game, good classes and races, and interesting story and gameplay. Though it only has 100k players atm due to launch failure it's still a decent game.

I played Guild Wars, but I don't remember if it was before/after WoW. It's fun for a story based MMO, you have quite a bit of classes to start with and a huge story plot. Though you cannot choose race (not until GW2) Over time they released 2-3 Expansions adding more classes and more story it is fun, but it's only a matter of time until you get bored good thing it is free.

LotR online will be free in the fall, DDO is fun for D&D fans out there. SWTOR is on its way and looks really enjoyable now. Warhammer 40,000 Dark Millenium still has about 2-3 years left. You have a lot of choices so find one you like and get to it!

Avatar image for Abstractthinker
Abstractthinker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Abstractthinker
Member since 2010 • 275 Posts
I play fiesta online abit. It's fun if you play with friends.
polishpaul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 polishpaul
Member since 2007 • 44 Posts
That really depends on what you're looking for - seems all the games mentioned here are Fantasy based. If you have the patience Battleground Europe (ww2 online) is the most fun i've EVER had in my life of gaming. The game however is not for the 'young' - meaning, it takes a lot of effort, but the rewards of your labor are just GREAT. Takes dedication and patience and its not for today's ADD gamer. This game does have a monthly subscription fee There are also some other types of MMOG... browser based ones... i was amazed at how fun and addicting they can be. Check out tribalwars.net - its a PVP village builder game and its amazing how much goes on. Its all about joining a good tribe. Its free but you can purchase a premium account. Just a warning though, this game became like a horrible heroin addiction for me and i had to just stop it cold... it took over my life completely :D Oh and - Ultima online used to be the best game.. before EQ and Wow... not sure what it evolved into, but if you can find private servers that host the original version of the game (before it split into PVP and non-PVP worlds) i'd recommend that too. Maybe the newest version is ok too but i can't vouch for that... The original was superb.. the best.
Daytona_178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 Daytona_178
Member since 2005 • 14962 Posts
I know a lot of you play MMORPGs. I love them too, but I can't find one I like.Upupin
You love MMORPG's even though you dont like the ones you have tried? :/
MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#27 MyopicCanadian
Member since 2004 • 8345 Posts

Mabinogi is by far my favourite free MMORPG. I'd check that one out. Runes of Magic can be entertaining as well.. I like the dual class sytem. But the game can start to feel bland pretty quick.

snot_boogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 snot_boogie
Member since 2010 • 86 Posts

Personally I am holding out on MMOs until The Old Republic/The Secret World come out.

I'm looking forward to both games but I don't want to give up on either... why oh why do they have to come out at roughly the same time?

Vikor243

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Vikor243
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
May I recommend Final Fantasy 11? The game is a subscription-based game and comes with 30 day Free Trial. It is an outdated game but the game is being consistently updated.
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ChiliDragon
You may, but not in this thread since it far, far too old to be bumped in this way.