Grumpy_Pantz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 Grumpy_Pantz
Member since 2017 • 5 Posts

Yes, i heard it before, a laptop isnt the best choice to game on. Im but a simple student who got a laptop for school and dont have the extra funds to buy an awesome PC. (Its on my to do list though)

My laptop has following stuff:

Cpu: Intel core i7-4510 @2.00GHz (i see it 4 times in the processor list?)
Disk: a 800gb disk (HDD)
Display drivers: Inter(R) HD Graphics Family & Nvidia GeForece 840M
RAM: 8 GB
Usage: around 12 hours a day, pretty much non-stop
Age: Around Spring 2016 (is it that old already?.. dahm they grow so fast)

i had the impression this wasnt a bad setup but im not an expert on this.

History of my Laptop:
It went well in the beginning. I could play LoL, warframe, Tera etc with not much troubles that i noticed off.
But now i cant play any games full screen anymore before it starts laggin or flashin all over the place. I didnt rly care at the start is just started playin everything windowed.
Also i get really high ms sometimes at the most random times. (this could also be my network though but it happens quite a lot on different networks), or i would just not be able to connect to any wifi thing for 5 min straight till i reboot.

But now i wanted to play Dark Souls 3 and i read something bout the system requirements online and i thought i could manage. But as soon as i started the game it said that i had problems with my fps and couldnt play online (not much of a problem) but i keep lagging like ive a low frame rate. Graphics are already on Low.

Is there something i can do to change this? Or is my laptop just worn out and old?
Any tips for this laptop-noob? :)

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

840m was already a low end GPU when it released and no, you cannot change anything to help it

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Keep the number of Startup apps to a minimum. Laptops (and pre-built PCs) have a penchant for having so much junk starting up.

Mordant221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Mordant221
Member since 2013 • 372 Posts

You can download more RAM, that always helped me.

sovkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 sovkhan
Member since 2015 • 1591 Posts

Can't do much here, and it's true for every laptop...You are tied to your gpu performance which can't be changed :/

It's all depends on the gpu your laptop comes with, some have the power of a desktop gtx970 ( gtx1060M ) or even higher...but the price goes up accordingly,

All you can do is lower graphic settings and resolution and as mentioned before close all unnecessary apps.

You should also make sure that your game is using the nvidia gpu and not the intel build in gpu. You can do this through nvidia panel.

It's should run like this :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_W0IlE5NyrM

LollipopofFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 LollipopofFury
Member since 2018 • 19 Posts

If your laptop is like: "I have been running this game on 60fps but I won't do it now cuz f*** you" - I would format it and reinstall whole OS. It doesn't take really big amounts of time and most of people hate doing it idk, why.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@lollipopoffury: No need to bump old threads

LollipopofFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 LollipopofFury
Member since 2018 • 19 Posts

@MonsieurX: Sorry. I needed that three posts and I didn't play wide range of games and I don't really know anything about hardware. so I had to make quite deep searches. I thought that I could help and didn't notice, how old this is XD