Important PC question

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for jimboboklashaur
jimboboklashaur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 jimboboklashaur
Member since 2003 • 503 Posts
Ok so I have a Mac, which I'm in love with, but the big big downfall is the only sweet game I get to play on it is WoW. I could keep my Mac as both a general and gaming machine since the major games I'm looking forward to are the obvious WoW expansion and Diablo III, both of which are Blizzard games so it'll be on my machine. The bad thing is I'm missing out on a LOT of PC only games, and the even worse thing is the only PC in my house is about 8 years old or so. It can run some games, but I won't lie, it was hiccuping when I played LOTR Battle for Middle Earth. Yeah I know, that's pretty sad. On to my question: Should I maybe upgrade my DELL (yes, I'm very sad to have it), to make it gaming compatible, or should I bite the bullet and just flat out buy a new machine? Which would be cheaper? Positives and negatives of both? I'm a huge console gamer, so that's why I have these questions. I'm missing out, and I wanna know what my best options are.
Avatar image for tequilasunriser
tequilasunriser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 tequilasunriser
Member since 2004 • 6379 Posts

I you have a Mac with an intel processor you can just use bootcamp to install windows XP or Vista... Mac users are no longer locked down to just OSX (provided you have a more recent intel Mac and not a g4/g5)

Out of curiosity what kind of processor and graphics card do you have?

friedweasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 friedweasel
Member since 2008 • 727 Posts
I Would Build a new system. There isn't anything you can do with an 8 year old dell.
skulper34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 skulper34
Member since 2004 • 2747 Posts

I you have a Mac with an intel processor you can just use bootcamp to install windows XP or Vista... Mac users are no longer locked down to just OSX (provided you have a more recent intel Mac and not a g4/g5)

Out of curiosity what kind of processor and graphics card do you have?

tequilasunriser

I would second this, but you need to tell use your MAC's specs.

also upgrading a 8yr old dell pc is going to come out the same as getting a new pc, there really isnt anything you could just "upgrade" first of all you need a dual core processor, ddr2, obviously new motherboard. and video card, 8 years ago there wasnt dual cores, ddr2 ram, nor pci-express. even if you upgrade it, youll have to find parts for it like on ebay or something cause they dont make parts for those anymore. and if you do upgrade, wouldnt be worth the money you spent cause you still wouldnt be able to play any of the new games decently

jimboboklashaur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 jimboboklashaur
I do have an intel mac, but it's a mac mini so it's not very technically impressive. Looks like my best option is to buy a new PC then? Any recommendations for something that's not going to cost me a year's salary?
tequilasunriser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 tequilasunriser

I do have an intel mac, but it's a mac mini so it's not very technically impressive. Looks like my best option is to buy a new PC then? Any recommendations for something that's not going to cost me a year's salary?jimboboklashaur

Well I have just the build for you then.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=7944148

If the PSU doesn't show up this is it.

Total cost before rebates is just under $600, after rebates its about $510.

jimboboklashaur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 jimboboklashaur
So I get that and then I'd like to build it myself so I don't have to pay someone a ridiculous amount to build it for me. Easy way to figure that out, or should I let someone help me with that? And thank you very very much for your help by the way. After playing games for over 15 years having to ask questions about a type of gaming, it sucks feeling like a n00b, but you're all very helpful making me feel not like that.
tequilasunriser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 tequilasunriser

So I get that and then I'd like to build it myself so I don't have to pay someone a ridiculous amount to build it for me. Easy way to figure that out, or should I let someone help me with that? And thank you very very much for your help by the way. After playing games for over 15 years having to ask questions about a type of gaming, it sucks feeling like a n00b, but you're all very helpful making me feel not like that.jimboboklashaur

Yeah no prob.

Order the parts and assemble them. Its not hard just read some guides. You can always take the parts to a shop where they will put it together for you for a fee. Also, I haven't included an operating system in that rig's configuration. I always leave that up to the builder to choose their OS.

jimboboklashaur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jimboboklashaur
Well XP would be my first choice because I hear nothing but negativity from Vista runners, or ex-Vista runners I guess that'd be. I'll wanna be playing games like Mass Effect and obviously Diablo III like I mentioned before, and I think that could maybe run Crysis, what do you think? XP my best choice? Crysis runnable, or am I just wishing for too easy a way out of this?
tequilasunriser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 tequilasunriser

Well XP would be my first choice because I hear nothing but negativity from Vista runners, or ex-Vista runners I guess that'd be. I'll wanna be playing games like Mass Effect and obviously Diablo III like I mentioned before, and I think that could maybe run Crysis, what do you think? XP my best choice? Crysis runnable, or am I just wishing for too easy a way out of this?jimboboklashaur

XP would be fine, I use XP. Vista has DirectX 10, but honestly there is hardly any difference between DX9 and DX10 so unless you are a graphics nazi you shouldn't even notice or care for that matter.

Crysis on Medium at a reasonable resolution would be ok on that 8800GS. If you felt so inclined you could get a card with a little more beef to it, but at probably double the price.

Its a good card though. If I was going to buy an card today I'd get that 8800GS since I play at 1280x1024 and I could give a **** about Crapsis.

marcthpro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#11 marcthpro
Member since 2003 • 7927 Posts
Crapsis lol tequila i know ur hostility toward someting that is high graphic that is kinda dumb to not get any good plyable 1920x1200 all max without 2x 280 GTX for Stable 30fps. or 3x 280GTx for 50fps. ih ope 4870x2 CF allow 45fps at last. 1920x1200 all max on nehalem maybe 70 fps ? if nehalem is that strong
RayvinAzn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 RayvinAzn
Member since 2004 • 12552 Posts

Tequila's build is good, but I'd spend a little extra in a few places.

1: Higher-quality motherboard. The Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L offers a fair bit over its older P35 sibling, and is definitely worth a bit extra in my book.

2: A little more space wouldn't hurt. For around $25 you could double your hard drive space, which isn't a bad way to spend $25. Game installs are getting pretty big, and if you have a lot of stuff, you could find yourself without room fairly quickly.

3: A slightly better power supply wouldn't hurt either. Graphics cards are becoming more and more power-hungry, and while the Earthwatts 430w is more than enough for right now, it might not cut the mustard next time you want to upgrade your graphics card.

4: I just read an interesting article on Bit-Tech showing that running 4GB of RAM can significantly impact performance of certain games over 2GB. While the average frame-rates generally weren't generally affected, the minimum frame-rates often shot up quite a bit - and to be quite honest, minimum frame-rates are what I'd be more concerned about than average. I'd rather play a game that averaged 30FPS and never dropped below 20 than a game that averages 50FPS but dips down to 10FPS occasionally.

5: This is entirely optional, but I'd be open to spending a bit more on a case you like the look of than the cheapest case you can find. If the look of the case doesn't bother you, don't worry about it, but don't be afraid to check out a few different cases as well.

jimboboklashaur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 jimboboklashaur

Tequila's build is good, but I'd spend a little extra in a few places.

1: Higher-quality motherboard. The Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L offers a fair bit over its older P35 sibling, and is definitely worth a bit extra in my book.

2: A little more space wouldn't hurt. For around $25 you could double your hard drive space, which isn't a bad way to spend $25. Game installs are getting pretty big, and if you have a lot of stuff, you could find yourself without room fairly quickly.

3: A slightly better power supply wouldn't hurt either. Graphics cards are becoming more and more power-hungry, and while the Earthwatts 430w is more than enough for right now, it might not cut the mustard next time you want to upgrade your graphics card.

4: I just read an interesting article on Bit-Tech showing that running 4GB of RAM can significantly impact performance of certain games over 2GB. While the average frame-rates generally weren't generally affected, the minimum frame-rates often shot up quite a bit - and to be quite honest, minimum frame-rates are what I'd be more concerned about than average. I'd rather play a game that averaged 30FPS and never dropped below 20 than a game that averages 50FPS but dips down to 10FPS occasionally.

5: This is entirely optional, but I'd be open to spending a bit more on a case you like the look of than the cheapest case you can find. If the look of the case doesn't bother you, don't worry about it, but don't be afraid to check out a few different cases as well.

RayvinAzn
Thanks a lot for all the feedback. I made a few changes like putting the 4 gb instead of 2 and the upgraded motherboard. I think i'd just wait for the new power supply for when I buy a new graphics card because if it works for right now I'd rather just save the money right now. The total before shipping and tax and everything went up to 650, which is about 1000 less than I was expecting to pay so that's perfectly fine with me. I was going to upgrade the case but 100 bucks more for something just a little cooler looking isn't really worth it, plus I can always upgrade in the future if I feel like it. Thanks again for all the feedback from everyone. So I buy all this and I'm good?
RayvinAzn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 RayvinAzn
Member since 2004 • 12552 Posts

You're not going to really save money if you spend $50 on a power supply now, and have to spend another $100 or so later. Might as well get the high-quality unit for around $80-$120 now if you ask me.

As for the case, you don't need to spend $100 - you can find some very good cases between $50-$75 that may suit you better. It's worth having a look-see at the very least.