I'm terrible at Counter Strike!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SneakyBeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 SneakyBeard
Member since 2005 • 167 Posts
I just bought Counter Strike and as of now I really suck. It seems like I shoot the other team forever and they don't die and all they have to do is just pop me a couple times and I am dead. I get maybe one kill every 3 rounds or so. Will I get better with time or is there some sort of trick or strats you guys can help me with?  Any advice would be good cause I love the ggame but have been getting extremely frustrated with getting owned all the time.
baylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 baylz
Member since 2004 • 152 Posts
If u aim for the head the recoil will pull your gun up and u will miss so i aim at the neck area, make sure you have no programs running in the background that could use up bandwidth as you want very low ping, and maybe go into spectator mode and watch the guy  that seems to own and watch how he plays
kiva2002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 kiva2002
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

cs takes time to become good at.

actually its one of the most competetive games out there , and the whole world is filled with really good players.

my advice, is find a mouse and a mouse sensitivity that you like, after that just learn how to fight with the different weapons, and learn the movement.

Avatar image for paranoiasurviva
paranoiasurviva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 paranoiasurviva
Member since 2004 • 13621 Posts
Well, pratice will always help
123kaney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 123kaney
Member since 2004 • 537 Posts

And anouther thing don't just spray your fire cause thats pointless u wont hit just click fast for single shots or hold down for a second wich should give u 3 rounds burst thats what i do.

Also if u can crouch just before u shoot some one(this is always the best method but is good for long range shoot out's) as it increase your acurasie and decreases your reticule.

And yeh try to aim around the neck,coler bone area.

NathanBennell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 NathanBennell
Member since 2004 • 75 Posts
Heres a few tips to get you on your way.

1. Use your radar. I can't count how many people that don't do this, it lets you know where your team is and it also alerts you to enemy presense.

2. Sound is your friend. Apart from being able to discern what type of guns are being used where it also let's you know if enemies are coming (footsteps) and you only have to hear footsteps and check your radar to know if it's friend or foe. I suggest playing with a good pair of headphones w/ mic

3. Learn when to run and when to fight. Faced with overwhelming odds you should always run away and attempt to flank or pick off enemies. All out assaults are never a good idea against multiple opponents.

4. Know the map. Play offline against bots for a while till you know the main maps like the back of your own hand.

5. Buy the right weapon. The right weapon is very important when playing a map. If its a small tight map use shotgun's and smg's. If it's a wide open map with long stretches use smg's and assault/sniper rifles

6. Know when to pot shot and when to spray. I see a lot of people that spray bullets at long distance and it doesnt do anything! If they re a long way a way its just a quick *tap* *tap* of the mouse. If they are close then spray, but remember if you dont kill them your as good as dead. If your new at CS I suggeest you aim at the chest as it's the biggest target area. As you get better at aiming progress upwards till eventually you aim at the neck/head area. Also keep the aiming cursor at your target height when running around. It's no use running around looking at the ground it's only going to cost you valuable milliseconds to realign it to the target area.

7. When shooting always try and keep behind cover or if you are out in the open learn to sidestep and fire. eg.
*left step* *left step* *fire* *right step* *fire* *right step* *fire* try and make your pattern unpredictable so they cant wait for you to occupy the space between their crosshair!

8. Practice throwing grenades, and know when to use them and when NOT to use them (DONT FLASHBANG YOUR TEAM MEMBERS) Also dont be afraid to use smoke grenades at chokepoints to stop snipers or any other areas that usually give you trouble.

9. Have FUN! There is no doubt that there will be some/lots of people that will laugh at you or call you noob or something like that. But at one stage we were all like that, so if you keep practicing and playing alot you can only get better!
SneakyBeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SneakyBeard
Member since 2005 • 167 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I'm off to go practice and if any of you have regular servers you host or play in post them.
TrickyNicky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 TrickyNicky
Member since 2002 • 2501 Posts
Adding to what Nathan was saying about when to potshot... practice the single shot tap of the mouse, and the three bullet burst tap of the mouse.  It's best to use them with the AK or M4A1.  Once you have those down, longer ranged shots become a lot easier.
BoyarPunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 BoyarPunk
Member since 2005 • 2638 Posts
Guess you can't "dance all day"  :wink:
h1dd3n5had0w

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 h1dd3n5had0w
Member since 2005 • 2141 Posts

Play agaisnt bots...first on easy - only trying your best for only headshots.

Then when you become consistant, put the difficulty more and more, until you get to expert where only headshots count.

But yeah, just like everyone else says, it just takes some time to get good at the game.

-Darth_Revan-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 -Darth_Revan-
Member since 2004 • 13152 Posts
It's not Halo, I can tell you that much. You can't just go running around and holding the left click button on your mouse.
reconwg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 reconwg
Member since 2005 • 62 Posts
Well, pratice will always helpparanoiasurviva
Good point .. LOL .. hours and hours of play
PikaPichu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 PikaPichu
Member since 2003 • 17813 Posts
1) Go with the shotgun. It make the game a bit Halo -like where you can go in at close range and basically go crazy on your targets.
2) Predict where your target will be when the bullet flies out of the gun. Don't forget to account for lag.
kaust111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 kaust111
Member since 2005 • 523 Posts
kepp playing in time u will figure out how ...try and aim at the upper body to start off,always fire in short bursts so u get time to make adjustments to ur aim
Riharddz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Riharddz
Member since 2006 • 49 Posts
I suck too by the way! :)
Avatar image for 202170209923959959965889200163

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 202170209923959959965889200163
Member since 2004 • 1897 Posts
Use headphones. You will never feel alone again. :wink:
bojiang908

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 bojiang908
Member since 2003 • 546 Posts

I just bought Counter Strike and as of now I really suck. It seems like I shoot the other team forever and they don't die and all they have to do is just pop me a couple times and I am dead. I get maybe one kill every 3 rounds or so. Will I get better with time or is there some sort of trick or strats you guys can help me with?  Any advice would be good cause I love the ggame but have been getting extremely frustrated with getting owned all the time.SneakyBeard

I have an advice for u. creat a server when ur alone in a server. make a spray that is as big the head. then u buy any gun u wanna practice with and jump around hitting the spray paint. trust me it helps. once u have enough practice. go into a actual server. ull see an improvement.

clearman90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#18 clearman90
Member since 2003 • 11500 Posts
CS is 30% skill, 20% luck, 50% hardware, internet connection, and server quality.
solid_serpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 solid_serpent
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
you could start off with one of the submachine guns (mp5 or p90) and practice headshots and burst firing, since they are much more forgiving than the rifles. they're great if you want to run and gun too, because their recoil isn't that bad while running.

CS:S --- [FBJ] Beancup

I frequent Utah DS Xmission a lot.
redomegaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 redomegaz
Member since 2004 • 515 Posts

Me to i really suck at it that's why i dont play it much, plus i get annoyed at people taking it too seriously.  And all the cheating accusations and denials.

ketchua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ketchua
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

Play agaisnt bots...

h1dd3n5had0w
That wouldn't be my choice...They seem to know your every move,even before you do...And they're so predictable...Too simple if you ask me...My advice,play with high sensitivity,and then lower it as you make progress....Play with low resolution(800x600),cause players will be bigger...:)The rest is practice.... Peace...
irving_moedt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 irving_moedt
Member since 2005 • 297 Posts

CS is 30% skill, 20% luck, 50% hardware, internet connection, and server quality. clearman90

i have like 10% luck lol no skillz so every head shot i make i get like a big smile on my face lol

9mmSpliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 9mmSpliff
Member since 2005 • 21751 Posts
its called playing it for atleast  year till you actualy know the game.  Im still learning new tricks and I have been on for a year now to date. 
SystemShock2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SystemShock2
Member since 2003 • 4172 Posts
My suggestion is to use the mp5 for starters. It's good for noobs because it's really easy to spray with and the first shot is accurate even if you're running. Also, you're going to want a low sensitivity, because on higher sensitivity, it's easier to move farther than you want. I suggest playing on maps like aim_akcolt or fy_snow, or fy_iceworld, because they have a bunch of weapons lain out and you can just experiment with them and get a feel for them.You'll learn how to use them and learn what is effective.

Then you might wanna make a server and just go over the maps before you play with more people so you don't get lost and so you know what to do in different situations.
ufopuller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#25 ufopuller
Member since 2004 • 6054 Posts
I usually get killed in a few seconds - *arrggg*
Menfear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#26 Menfear
Member since 2004 • 1068 Posts
play with bots,then go on server when you know the maps-you will have to learn how to shoot-practise makes perfect!
Avatar image for deactivated-5c009341336cd
deactivated-5c009341336cd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-5c009341336cd
Member since 2004 • 1855 Posts

use the m4 or ak. dont shoot full auto it only hits the first 2 or 3 shots so just burst it and aim at the lower head area

Avatar image for derangedmnky420
derangedmnky420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 derangedmnky420
Member since 2007 • 197 Posts
i also am not that good on cs, i dont even know how to get my own personal spray paint, anyone know how?