I'm so sick of piracy

• 149 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Armalite1016

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 0

#1 Armalite1016
Member since 2005 • 1574 Posts

Have you noticed how most of the time pirates are the majority of the people complaining about DRM and copy protection and stuff, when they are the exact reason why developers put those there in the first place? I mean this sounds harsh, but how stupid can you people be? Apparently unbelievably stupid. That's right, you literally have to be a complete idiot to be a pirate. You like playing games, but don't even realize that you are ruining PC gaming as we know it. And if you try to defend piracy, don't bother, because that will just give away the fact that you are a pirate yourself, because the only people that actually support piracy are the pirates themselves.

DRM is not a valid excuse people, because whenever a game doesn't have DRM or any copy protection on it it almost gets more pirated than one with it. World of Goo, Prince of Persia, Sins of a Solar Empire, all games that were pirated like crazy, yet didn't have any copy protection at all, so stop using that as an excuse. Also stop using the excuse it's a bad game so I'm not going to pay for it. That excuse makes no sense. How would you know it's bad until you play it, aka, you made the decision to pirate it before you know how good or not it was, and if you played the demo, then you should have known it was bad in the first place and just not bought it. Not to mention, if a game is bad, why play it in the first place? Oh I know, it's just another poor excuse.

Just admit it pirates, the absolute only true reason you pirate games is because you don't want to pay for them. You're selfish, and think stealing is ok as long as the technicaldefinition of piracy isn't theft. Guess what, it's basically stealing, stop trying to find irrelevant loopholes to justify your own careless greed. There is not one valid excuse pirates can give, because when you really get down to it, the only reason you are pirating is because you don't want to pay for it, end of story.

LTZH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#3 LTZH
Member since 2003 • 2704 Posts
It is a funny trick isn't it...trying to trick yourself into believing something is right, when you know deep down it's wrong...I laugh at software pirates and their weak willpower.
Armalite1016

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Armalite1016
It is a funny trick isn't it...trying to trick yourself into believing something is right, when you know deep down it's wrong...I laugh at software pirates and their weak willpower.LTZH
Yeah, the sad thing though is that some pirates don't even try to come up with excuses. They openly admit it's because they just don't want to pay, and genuinely don't care.
bedram793

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#5 bedram793
Member since 2006 • 1741 Posts
How many piracy threads have you made?
Armalite1016

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Armalite1016

How many piracy threads have you made? bedram793

Well including one I made like a year ago, 2.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts
Um I hate the limited installs, and some of things that DRM does. It hurts the people who bought the game but the pirate has no issues with limited installs,DRM and sometimes their cracking fixes the issues that the devs didnt fix or ignored.
Armalite1016

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Armalite1016

Um I hate the limited installs, and some of things that DRM does. It hurts the people who bought the game but the pirate has no issues with limited installs,DRM and sometimes their cracking fixes the issues that the devs didnt fix or ignored.04dcarraher

Ok, then buy the game and install a crack after you install it. See what I did there? Or if you pirate it, how about sending the dev $50? Oh wait, that would interfere with the whole you not wanting to pay thing, wouldn't it....

SuperBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10 SuperBeast
Member since 2002 • 13229 Posts

Have you noticed how most of the time pirates are the majority of the people complaining about DRM and copy protection and stuff,Armalite1016

Actually, it's the absolute opposite. The reason why so many people complain about DRM is because the only people it hurts is the legit buyers. The pirated versions of games disable the DRM all together. People who pirate games have absolutely no issues with anti-piracy measures, since 99% of the time the game is cracked within 24hrs of the retail date (On many cases even a week or two before). Piracy has always existed, and there's no possible way to stop it. That's pretty much why they released Sins of the Solar Empire with no DRM, why spend the extra money on something that will only hurt legit customers? In turn it earned them publicity that made a lot of people who normally pirate games purchase it. There have been a very small percentage of anti-piracy attempts that have worked.......I remember Operation Flashpoint about a month to get a proper crack, I think Mass Effect took a few weeks as well......I'm sure they gained some sales from pirates who were sick of waiting, but was it really worth the the money they invested to produce the new measure? I doubt it.

Armalite1016

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Armalite1016
[QUOTE="Armalite1016"]

Have you noticed how most of the time pirates are the majority of the people complaining about DRM and copy protection and stuff,SuperBeast

Actually, it's the absolute opposite. The reason why so many people complain about DRM is because the only people it hurts is the legit buyers. The pirated versions of games disable the DRM all together. People who pirate games have absolutely no issues with anti-piracy measures, since 99% of the time the game is cracked within 24hrs of the retail date (On many cases even a week or two before). Piracy has always existed, and there's no possible way to stop it. That's pretty much why they released Sins of the Solar Empire with no DRM, why spend the extra money on something that will only hurt legit customers? In turn it earned them publicity that made a lot of people who normally pirate games purchase it. There have been a very small percentage of anti-piracy attempts that have worked.......I remember Operation Flashpoint about a month to get a proper crack, I think Mass Effect took a few weeks as well......I'm sure they gained some sales from pirates who were sick of waiting, but was it really worth the the money they invested to produce the new measure? I doubt it.

I was saying pirates use it as an excuse, when it's not. It shouldn't be there, but then again, the entire reason it's there is to try and stop pirates. Also, I have a way. Fine anybody caught pirating with $10,000 or 5 years in jail $10,000 bail. And actually be strict about it too, unlike the music industry, which just randomly picks a victim every once in a while. If they actually tried to find people often, and actually punished people when they found them, it would significantly decrease it, because people wouldn't want to risk having to pay $10,000.

Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#12 Swiftstrike5
Member since 2005 • 6950 Posts

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"]Um I hate the limited installs, and some of things that DRM does. It hurts the people who bought the game but the pirate has no issues with limited installs,DRM and sometimes their cracking fixes the issues that the devs didnt fix or ignored.Armalite1016

Ok, then buy the game and install a crack after you install it. See what I did there? Or if you pirate it, how about sending the dev $50? Oh wait, that would interfere with the whole you not wanting to pay thing, wouldn't it....

Yes, support buggy games... that will be better for PC gaming...

If Developers are focused on punishing pirates by punishing consumers, then I have no problem will developers losing sales.

DRM hurts legit buyers and punishes them more then pirates. I've already used 3 of my 5 installs of Crysis Warhead and do you really think I'm going to throw another $30 out for my 6th install?

FYI- SoaSE and GC sold very well. All games are pirated, so don't lose sleep over it.

cd_rom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 cd_rom
Member since 2003 • 13951 Posts
[QUOTE="SuperBeast"][QUOTE="Armalite1016"]

Have you noticed how most of the time pirates are the majority of the people complaining about DRM and copy protection and stuff,Armalite1016

I was saying pirates use it as an excuse, when it's not. It shouldn't be there, but then again, the entire reason it's there is to try and stop pirates. Also, I have a way. Fine anybody caught pirating with $10,000 or 5 years in jail $10,000 bail. And actually be strict about it too, unlike the music industry, which just randomly picks a victim every once in a while. If they actually tried to find people often, and actually punished people when they found them, it would significantly decrease it, because people wouldn't want to risk having to pay $10,000.

You're basically saying they should round up tens of thousands of people and throw them in jail. That's impossible to enforce.
AnnoyedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 AnnoyedDragon
Member since 2006 • 9948 Posts

The Inquirer had an interesting link of the day up, Pirates Bay usage statistics.

http://geo.keff.org/

Otherwise known as were to not exclusively sell PC games, seems America and China are fighting over bigger pirate.

Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
I've already used 3 of my 5 installs of Crysis Warhead and do you really think I'm going to throw another $30 out for my 6th install?Swiftstrike5
Whoa, seriously? How did you burn through 3 completely different computers that fast? Especially with the deauthorization tool being out, so you can get installations back. edit: [QUOTE="AnnoyedDragon"]The Inquirer had an interesting link of the day up, Pirates Bay usage statistics. http://geo.keff.org/ Otherwise known as were to not exclusively sell PC games, seems America and China are fighting over bigger pirate.

dayum.. 1.6 million unique users connected to the tracker from the US alone per day? and that's actually connected to the tracker and actively uploading or downloading, not just browsing the site..
SuperBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SuperBeast
Member since 2002 • 13229 Posts
[QUOTE="SuperBeast"][QUOTE="Armalite1016"]

The problem with your solution is that the gaming industry doesn't have a RIAA or MPAA...... So the publishers would have to sue the people indepedently, which is WAY too expensive to put into practice. EA is probably the only publisher that could afford it, but it still wouldn't stop piracy. The RIAA doesn't even sue 1% of the people pirating music...why? It would cost billions in legal fees and a lot of cases would be thrown out due to it being extremely hard to prove who pirated the object in question. The RIAA sued random people as a scare tactic, I wouldn't be surprised if they paid the newspapers to print the stories. It might have worked with some, but it didn't even leave a dent in piracy as a whole. You're more likely to get struck by lightning than to get sued by the RIAA, even if you download thousands of songs per month. The only people they can really go after is the people who sell the pirated versions of games in bulk or post on eBay and such...... Even MMOs which need a subscription to play get pirated and private servers are made. There is no solution to stopping piracy, even by 5%.......period.
Jd1680a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#17 Jd1680a
Member since 2005 • 5960 Posts
Everyone person in the world who is a legitimate buyer of PC games who is complaining about DRM needs to refocus that time and energy in piracy. The whole reason DRM is even around was because of piracy. If piracy was was very small, about 1% of the total sales there would be no need for DRM.
Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Makari
The problem with your solution is that the gaming industry doesn't have a RIAA or MPAA...... So the publishers would have to sue the people indepedently, which is WAY too expensive to put into practice. EA is probably the only publisher that could afford it, but it still wouldn't stop piracy. The RIAA doesn't even sue 1% of the people pirating music...why? It would cost billions in legal fees and a lot of cases would be thrown out due to it being extremely hard to prove who pirated the object in question. The RIAA sued random people as a scare tactic, I wouldn't be surprised if they paid the newspapers to print the stories. It might have worked with some, but it didn't even leave a dent in piracy as a whole. You're more likely to get struck by lightning than to get sued by the RIAA, even if you download thousands of songs per month. The only people they can really go after is the people who sell the pirated versions of games in bulk or post on eBay and such...... Even MMOs which need a subscription to play get pirated and private servers are made. There is no solution to stopping piracy, even by 5%.......period. SuperBeast
EA has no plans of doing that.. four or five years ago they got an anti-piracy team together, but their directive was to just sit and watch and learn what they can. Activision Blizzard's been nailing people in court for a couple of years - the difference was, one of their settlement terms was that you don't talk about it, so people don't realize it's been happening. people were being sued for downloading Call of Duty 2 and other games from that era, but generally console games and not PC ones. in Russia, 1C successfully lobbied to make piracy flat-out illegal. iirc it's punishable by 7 years in prison. so over the last couple of years, legit game sales have been steadily increasing in russia hahah
AnnoyedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 AnnoyedDragon
Member since 2006 • 9948 Posts

dayum.. 1.6 million unique users connected to the tracker from the US alone per day? and that's actually connected to the tracker and actively uploading or downloading, not just browsing the site..Makari

The statistics are updated by the minute I'm afraid, not per day.

lettuceman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#20 lettuceman44
Member since 2005 • 7971 Posts
[QUOTE="LTZH"] Agree

Have you noticed how most of the time pirates are the majority of the people complaining about DRM and copy protection and stuff, when they are the exact reason why developers put those there in the first place? I mean this sounds harsh, but how stupid can you people be? Apparently unbelievably stupid. That's right, you literally have to be a complete idiot to be a pirate. You like playing games, but don't even realize that you are ruining PC gaming as we know it. And if you try to defend piracy, don't bother, because that will just give away the fact that you are a pirate yourself, because the only people that actually support piracy are the pirates themselves.

DRM is not a valid excuse people, because whenever a game doesn't have DRM or any copy protection on it it almost gets more pirated than one with it. World of Goo, Prince of Persia, Sins of a Solar Empire, all games that were pirated like crazy, yet didn't have any copy protection at all, so stop using that as an excuse. Also stop using the excuse it's a bad game so I'm not going to pay for it. That excuse makes no sense. How would you know it's bad until you play it, aka, you made the decision to pirate it before you know how good or not it was, and if you played the demo, then you should have known it was bad in the first place and just not bought it. Not to mention, if a game is bad, why play it in the first place? Oh I know, it's just another poor excuse.

Just admit it pirates, the absolute only true reason you pirate games is because you don't want to pay for them. You're selfish, and think stealing is ok as long as the technicaldefinition of piracy isn't theft. Guess what, it's basically stealing, stop trying to find irrelevant loopholes to justify your own careless greed. There is not one valid excuse pirates can give, because when you really get down to it, the only reason you are pirating is because you don't want to pay for it, end of story.

Armalite1016
Agree
[QUOTE="Armalite1016"]

Have you noticed how most of the time pirates are the majority of the people complaining about DRM and copy protection and stuff,SuperBeast

Think about it. No pirates, no drm. More pirates, more drm. It still is the pirates fault.
Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#21 Swiftstrike5
Member since 2005 • 6950 Posts

[QUOTE="Swiftstrike5"]I've already used 3 of my 5 installs of Crysis Warhead and do you really think I'm going to throw another $30 out for my 6th install?Makari
Whoa, seriously? How did you burn through 3 completely different computers that fast? Especially with the deauthorization tool being out, so you can get installations back.

Installed it on my PC. Installed it on my laptop. Removed both (lack of hard drive space). Reinstalled on my PC after I got a new motherboard (my old one crapped out).

It shouldn't matter. It's still perfect proof that it's a huge burden to 'deauthorize' or call EA to get an extra install. Something pirates don't have to deal with. They also don't have to pay $30 in the first place.

I know I'll use 2 more installs eventually. Probably when I get a new computer. Then another one several years from now when I want to go back and play Crysis again for 'old times sake.'

Hillsy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 1

#22 Hillsy_
Member since 2005 • 610 Posts

PC games can sell well, look at the Witcher? Even Oblivion sold (very well) and that as far as I know only had a DVD-check. I own over 88 games for the PC, but even I don't like DRM, or limited installs...why? Because I don't feel like I actually own the game even though I paid for it - it is more of a rental. By taking away the control from the user, they are hurting the people who buy games. Starforce was another problem, I remember having problems with Silent Hunter III, and I owned the game, and still own it to this day now.

I don't buy as many now because my computer isn't at its' best performance anymore - it is three years old now. I may pick up King Bounty though when it is released soon - turned based strategy game.

BlueBirdTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 BlueBirdTS
Member since 2005 • 6403 Posts
Not to be rude, but I'm getting kind of sick of piracy threads. It wouldn't bother me to see one piracy thread a day, but more than that and it's a little annoying.
BlackStalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 BlackStalker
Member since 2004 • 719 Posts
free > not free
BlueBirdTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 BlueBirdTS

free > not freeBlackStalker

Supporting developers>stealing.

Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Makari

[QUOTE="Makari"] dayum.. 1.6 million unique users connected to the tracker from the US alone per day? and that's actually connected to the tracker and actively uploading or downloading, not just browsing the site..AnnoyedDragon

The statistics are updated by the minute I'm afraid, not per day.

even when you click on the '24h' link and it says "The statistics is now based on unique users connected every 24 hours!."...? :)
BlackStalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 BlackStalker

[QUOTE="BlackStalker"]free > not freeBlueBirdTS

free > supporting developers
nicknees93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28 nicknees93
Member since 2005 • 3250 Posts
Why do you hate piracy so much? Let people do what they want, I don't think it's right, but do you make games? No. So just keep buying games like the rest of us and let the pirates get subpoenas.
BlueBirdTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 BlueBirdTS

Why do you hate piracy so much? Let people do what they want, I don't think it's right, but do you make games? No. So just keep buying games like the rest of us and let the pirates get subpoenas.nicknees93

Subpoenas? You think that all the millions of pirates are going to get called to court? The reason we hate piracy is because it discourages developers from creating original games on the PC and results in all sorts of annoying anti-piracy measures like DRM and SecuROM.

Astaroth2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Astaroth2k
Member since 2006 • 877 Posts
Im sick of woman being raped and their children being forced to rape them in the congo...oh the boo hoo,peoplez downloading games. :x
Armalite1016

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Armalite1016
[QUOTE="BlueBirdTS"]

[QUOTE="BlackStalker"]free > not freeBlackStalker

dogsh*t > you.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts

I love how people complain about how people download games for the pc. Yet they themselves probabbly go out and steal music, or movies.

How about instead of complaining about how people download things, and making like 40 topics a month on it, you focus your time on Solving the worlds problem.
I'm sure the world hunger crisis is more important than spending $15 a month for your wow/lotr or some other mmo, or even your computer. Yet you still sit there focusing your attention on piracy. Which btw, is 100% legal in canada, as well as other countries around the world. Quit talking about how pirates are horrrible people, when chances are none of you do anything for anyone, and simply sit around playing videogames and looking for something new to complain about.. Haven't found anything for awhile, have you?

spartan8579

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 spartan8579
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
The people that pirate PC games are NOT real gamers. Real gamers respect their hobby, not destroy it.
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Nibroc420
The people that pirate PC games are NOT real gamers. Real gamers respect their hobby, not destroy it.spartan8579

Provide adiquet proof that it is destorying the PC industry without using a source with a bias.
BlackStalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 BlackStalker
[QUOTE="BlackStalker"][QUOTE="BlueBirdTS"]

Armalite1016

dogsh*t > you.

Haha thanks for your imput.

InternetKraken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 InternetKraken
Member since 2009 • 67 Posts

[QUOTE="spartan8579"]The people that pirate PC games are NOT real gamers. Real gamers respect their hobby, not destroy it.Nibroc420

Provide adiquet proof that it is destorying the PC industry without using a source with a bias.

It's ruining gaming for everyone who DOESN'T pirate due to security measures.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Nibroc420

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="spartan8579"]The people that pirate PC games are NOT real gamers. Real gamers respect their hobby, not destroy it.InternetKraken

Thats not really proof, just an opinion..
and besides It's actually not ruining PC gaming, and whos to say these measures wouldn't be put into place without piracy?
Cenerune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Cenerune
Member since 2008 • 588 Posts

If you really want to discuss Piracy and have a decent debate on it, you will have to take it to another forum since its really easy to be moderated in here apparently.

For now enjoy throwing everyone in the same bag, with that logic we might as well believe in every stereotypes.

cd_rom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 cd_rom
Member since 2003 • 13951 Posts
[QUOTE="InternetKraken"]

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"]

Provide adiquet proof that it is destorying the PC industry without using a source with a bias.Nibroc420

Thats not really proof, just an opinion..
and besides It's actually not ruining PC gaming, and whos to say these measures wouldn't be put into place without piracy?

So you think DRM exists because it makes EA look cool? Those measures wouldn't have to be put into place without piracy... DRM is the direct result of piracy. That's not an opinion.

If developers/publishers aren't making money off the games, then there are only two possible outcomes in the future.

1. Even worse DRM measures

2. No more games.

Also, if a game sucks, simply don't play it at all. If you don't buy it, then the publishers will say that it didn't sell well because the game sucked. If it didn't sell well, but it was pirated 1 million times, than they'll say it didn't sell well because of pirates. Thus, we get stronger DRM with even crappier games. It's lose/lose for everyone in the end.

concord9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 concord9
Member since 2003 • 949 Posts

OP, your the idiot here. Pirates don't care about DRM, because well they STRIP IT. Problem solved. Also it is a legitimate argument as I'm sure as hell not paying for an inferior product ;)

Pirates > securom/developers supporting securom

You'd think people with engineering degrees would be smart enough to realize, pissing money away on sony's garbage is completely pointless since it's cracked and hacked before the game even hits stores.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

stop crying about piracy. You already made a thread about this and you don't need to make another

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=26529758

mo0ksi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#42 mo0ksi
Member since 2007 • 12337 Posts
Why do you care so much? If you're not a pirate then you have nothing to worry about and that's that.
superkoolstud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#43 superkoolstud
Member since 2004 • 2800 Posts
As soon as games require an active internet connection and mandatory registration of your key to a master account you keep with the publisher then Piracy will end. Red Alert 3 already does Key check which is a step in the right direction. Steam is a good way to stop piracy.
Seto_Akari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Seto_Akari
Member since 2008 • 383 Posts

World Of Goo , Sins of a solar empire no DRM => support developers

Devil May Cry 4 , Fallout 3 simple DRM disk check => support developers

Crysis Warhead , Spore bloody DRM limited installs + active online => Free

More bloody DRM => More pirating (Spore ok?)

uchihataru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#47 uchihataru
Member since 2007 • 531 Posts
Why do you care so much? If you're not a pirate then you have nothing to worry about and that's that.mo0ksi
exactly...
RedDraco66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 RedDraco66
Member since 2005 • 1682 Posts
Pirates ftw. I do not feel morally wrong for downloading games or music. However the people that are at fault are the ones accusing pirates to be at fault. This is like telling someone that smokes - "dont smoke it will kill you". This is obviously an opinion and not factual. What I'm basically saying is, if you don't like it, keep it to yourself. Don't whine about it to people who (A) Can't do anything about it, and (B) Don't really care.
arijit_2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#49 arijit_2404
Member since 2006 • 1558 Posts
Wow, lots of pirates are trolling in this forum. I can sense through their poor defensive posts regarding piracy. you guys are really worthless.
superkoolstud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#50 superkoolstud
Member since 2004 • 2800 Posts
I told'em not to pirate games, but they did it anyway, it's not okay because, I can shut them down. I could write a letter to their parents and have them grounded from the computer, I could put... I could put strychnine in their bawls. I could set their building on fire.