I'm Not Great with Computers...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ververdan0226

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 ververdan0226
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

...could somebody please give me a rundown on everything I'd need to know, from a techical aspect, before I try to get into gaming on a PC, like memory or graphics cards because I'm completely clueless. I'll soon be getting a laptop that was really good in late '06 or early '07 (obbviously can't afford much and simply want something basic). I'm 16 and its from my 20 year old brother. If anybody could recommend some good games for a system like that and take the time to give me some advice on what the hell I'm doing, it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

will952

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 will952
Member since 2008 • 655 Posts

In a laptop (or desktop) you need several components to be up to snuff before you can think about gaming.

1. Graphics card. There are 2 makers of graphics cards, ATI and Nvidia. Both have a large line-up of graphics cards and different price points to suit everyone's needs. You need to find out what graphics card is in your laptop and post it here.

2. Processor. Equally important is the processor, it basically powers your computer. Again, 2 main manufacturers; Intel and AMD. Your processor needs to be at least 2.2ghz in power (regardless of number of cores) to game comfortably. There are quad cores, tri-cores and dual cores. GENERAL rule of thumb is that quads are best, followed by tri-cores followed by dual cores. But a dual core at 3.2ghz will probably beat a quad at 2.33ghz.

3. Motherboard. This has to be compatible with your processor, but I'm afraid I don't know how to find out what make you have with a laptop.

You need to at least find out these 3 things for anyone to help you.

Sorry if I came over patronizing.:)

imaspin17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 imaspin17
Member since 2005 • 1035 Posts

Before we can recommend you any games, It would be nice to know some basic specs of your laptop. Things like your ram, processor, and graphics card are the most important aspects to consider when gaming. Also what sort of games do you like to play? RTS, FPS, RPG.... the acronyms are endless!

*My bad on the similar post.... Yours was not up when I started mine

Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts
It would help too if you check tigerdirect.com or newegg.com click on gamingPCs and look at there specs. you could learn from there a little at a time.
ververdan0226

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ververdan0226

sorry, i haven't checked out the post since yesterday. here are the specs:

Intel Pentium M Dothan 730 (1.66 Hz, 533 MHz FSB)

512 MB (256MBx2) DDR2 ram at 533 MHz

Nvidia Go 6800 256MB

40 GB hard drive 5400RPM Upgraded to 60GB 7200 7K60

WXGA+ (1440x900) Ultrasharp 17" widescreen LCD (non glossy, non TrueLife)

Intel 2200 802.11 b/g wireless card

DVD-ROM/CD-RWx24

Windows XP Home

6-cell 53 watt/hour battery

2x90w ac power supply

There they are. Also I like FPS and RPG, but since I'm getting a computer of my own, I might try to get into some RTSs. So any reccomendations would be welcome.

will952

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 will952
Member since 2008 • 655 Posts

Nvidia Go 6800 256MB

DVD-ROM/CD-RWx24

Windows XP Home

2x90w ac power supply

There they are. Also I like FPS and RPG, but since I'm getting a computer of my own, I might try to get into some RTSs. So any reccomendations would be welcome.

ververdan0226
Well, sorry to be the bearer of bad news but that laptop really is not made with games in mind. Having said that, there are some RTS's that will run reasonably well on it. Company of Heroes should get reasonable frame rates at low settings and low res, World in Conflict will get a bit stuttery with anything higher than very and don't even think about directx 10 (the latest version of directx; in laymans terms it looks better at the expense of performance) as your graphics card does not support it. However, anything made 2005 or earlier should run just fine with med settings. So in short, gaming on that lappy will be an uphill struggle; your processor is too weak (2.2+ghz dual core minimum), your graphics card is 4 generations outdated (and not very good anyway; if you want something to play the latest games well, on a budget, look into a 9600gt or 9800m gt if using laptop), your ram is too slow (800mhz reccomended) and you don't have enough of it (2gb recommended for ideal performance. 4gb welcome but a bit unnecessary). Hope I have been something of a help aside from shunning your old laptop ;).
aura_enchanted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#7 aura_enchanted
Member since 2006 • 7942 Posts
[QUOTE="ververdan0226"]

Nvidia Go 6800 256MB

DVD-ROM/CD-RWx24

Windows XP Home

2x90w ac power supply

will952

Well, sorry to be the bearer of bad news but that laptop really is not made with games in mind. Having said that, there are some RTS's that will run reasonably well on it. Company of Heroes should get reasonable frame rates at low settings and low res, World in Conflict will get a bit stuttery with anything higher than very and don't even think about directx 10 (the latest version of directx; in laymans terms it looks better at the expense of performance) as your graphics card does not support it. However, anything made 2005 or earlier should run just fine with med settings. So in short, gaming on that lappy will be an uphill struggle; your processor is too weak (2.2+ghz dual core minimum), your graphics card is 4 generations outdated (and not very good anyway; if you want something to play the latest games well, on a budget, look into a 9600gt or 9800m gt if using laptop), your ram is too slow (800mhz reccomended) and you don't have enough of it (2gb recommended for ideal performance. 4gb welcome but a bit unnecessary). Hope I have been something of a help aside from shunning your old laptop ;).

if he can run CoH on low he can run DoW2 on low there req. are prac. identical XD

ververdan0226

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ververdan0226
could it easily run some old games like half-life, diablo II, star craft and fallout? i always missed out on those games and I think now would be the perfect time to play them. i've never really played pc games and i'd love to go back and play some of the really great ones. i'm really not looking to run the latest and greatest games on the market, so if you could make any suggestions about what would run on it, even if thet're fairly old, because it would be appreciated. Thanks.
Sporknife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9 Sporknife
Member since 2009 • 403 Posts

I'd say pretty much anything from before 03-04 would be fine.

Edit: actually, seeing as its like 500 bucks, you could get alot more for your money

ververdan0226

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ververdan0226
thanks for all the feedback. you guys have been helpful. so hopefully i'll be able to run some games and then get a better laptop towards the end of the year.