I'm looking for some nice, lower-end PC games..

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Fenix_Darkblaze
Fenix_Darkblaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Fenix_Darkblaze
Member since 2005 • 164 Posts

I don't have the best set-up for this day and age, so I'm looking for some fun games that can be played on my PC. It's running at about 2.3 GHz, 512 MB RAM.. Graphics card is a Nvidia Geforce FX 5200 128MB. I will play most kinds of games, I prefer First person shooters less than others, however. But any good suggestions at all will be appreciated. I just want games that will run well on my PC and play well at the same time. Any help is greatly appreciated.

blackdreamhunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 blackdreamhunk
Member since 2007 • 3880 Posts
you can play alot of the pc games out there your system is pretty good.
Fenix_Darkblaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Fenix_Darkblaze
I know, but that doesn't help me when it comes to choosing some games, unfortunately. I'm looking for specifically good games to play.
Fenix_Darkblaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Fenix_Darkblaze
Bump.
SOTE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 SOTE
Member since 2004 • 3398 Posts

FEAR, Half life 2, Stalker, halo, battlefield 1942 should work, company of heroes(rts), neverwinter nights 2(might work) , diablo2, wow? lol

Matt60276789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Matt60276789
Member since 2006 • 286 Posts

I have a GeForce FX 5500 in my system and I play America's Army (Free FPS game), Battlefied 2, Battlefield 2142, Battlestations Midway, Call of Duty 2, Command & Conquer 3, Madden NFL 07, Flight Simulator X, Civilization IV, Soldat (Free 2D shooter), Tomb Raider Anniversary, TrackMania United (Very fun racing game), and Unreal Tournament 2004.

Mind you that not all games run at high quality of course, but you get used to it. At least u get to play ur games without shelling out for new hardware, at least until Crysis arrives on the scene:D

You'll really notice a difference if you get more RAM in your system. I suggest at least 1 gig. I upgraded mine from 256 to 1 gig and was blown away by the difference

Vinx_Vagan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Vinx_Vagan
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

I basically have the same setup as you. I play Half-Life 2, CS:Source, DOD:Source, America's Army, KOTOR 1&2. All of those I can run on atleast medium settings. For the Source games (including HL2) I can run on some higher settings. The KOTOR games I can run everything on high. All of those games are amazing and should be purchased for any gamer that enjoys FPS and RPG.

gtarmanrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 gtarmanrob
Member since 2006 • 1206 Posts

i would definitely reccommend you get at least another 512mb ram to have 1gb. would improve performance and allow to play slightly more demanding games.

dunno how you'd go running FEAR well...what bout Doom3, or Thief 3? I know its not FPS but Max Payne 2 is pretty sweet. Call of Duty and United Offensive are great games.

maybe tell us what you already own/already played?

nightharvest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 nightharvest
Member since 2005 • 1782 Posts

Darwinia.

8)

frizzyman0292

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 frizzyman0292
Member since 2007 • 2855 Posts
Half Life 2 and CSS and Fear..
Azghouls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 314

#11 Azghouls
Member since 2006 • 815 Posts

FEAR, Half life 2, Stalker, halo, battlefield 1942 should work, company of heroes(rts), neverwinter nights 2(might work) , diablo2, wow? lol

SOTE

STALKER?

Azghouls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 314

#12 Azghouls
Member since 2006 • 815 Posts

SOTE

STALKER?

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
Medal of Honor Pacific Assault, Quake 4, Medal of Honor Allied Assault, Call of Duty and XP, Battlefield 1942 or Vietnam, Vietcong 2, American's Army, Starcraft, Warcraft 3, Rome: Total War, Diablo 2, Fable, Chronicals of Riddick, Max Payne 2, Ground Control, Command and Conquer Generals, 3, Red Alert, Operation Flashpoint, Brothers in Arms Road to Hill 30, UT2004, Half Life 1 and 2, Star Wars Jedi Knight 2 Jedi Outcast, SW Jedi Academy, Prince of Persia Sands of Time and Warrior Within, Hitman Contrats, Counter Strik 1.6, Far Cry
dbowman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 dbowman
Member since 2005 • 6836 Posts

I don't have the best set-up for this day and age, so I'm looking for some fun games that can be played on my PC. It's running at about 2.3 GHz, 512 MB RAM.. Graphics card is a Nvidia Geforce FX 5200 128MB. I will play most kinds of games, I prefer First person shooters less than others, however. But any good suggestions at all will be appreciated. I just want games that will run well on my PC and play well at the same time. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Fenix_Darkblaze

I has a system the same as that except it was a P4 2.4 Ghz Processor.

Anyway, you can run Call of Duty 1 + 2, Half Life 2, FarCry, Rome Total War, Medal of Honour Pacific Assault, Max Payne 2....

Unfortunately though you will really really struggle with games like FEAR, Oblivion, Quake 4, Supreme Commander etc...

EDIT: Despite what other people have said running FEAR on that machine would be like watching a slideshow. The game is only just playable at the lowest possible settings, but then its not even worth it.

Philmon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Philmon
Member since 2003 • 1454 Posts

Medal of Honor Pacific Assault, Quake 4, Medal of Honor Allied Assault, Call of Duty and XP, Battlefield 1942 or Vietnam, Vietcong 2, American's Army, Starcraft, Warcraft 3, Rome: Total War, Diablo 2, Fable, Chronicals of Riddick, Max Payne 2, Ground Control, Command and Conquer Generals, 3, Red Alert, Operation Flashpoint, Brothers in Arms Road to Hill 30, UT2004, Half Life 1 and 2, Star Wars Jedi Knight 2 Jedi Outcast, SW Jedi Academy, Prince of Persia Sands of Time and Warrior Within, Hitman Contrats, Counter Strik 1.6, Far CryLonelynight

Most of those games wont run too well on his computer (not with decent settings). Games like Riddick/Farcry are not to be played with the low settings.

Wow it has been a while since anyone has mentioned Outcast, do they still sell that game? I was looking for my copy of it lately and I cant seem to find it :(. I remeber when it first came out and they were talking about how the engine was going to revolusionise gaming. I loved the opening Cinematic, I need to look for it on the web just for old times sake :D

Devvy01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#16 Devvy01
Member since 2006 • 14018 Posts
Freespace 2,medal of honor,warcraft
Snugglecakes13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 Snugglecakes13
Member since 2007 • 62 Posts
Well my system is nothing like yours but you should be able to run the original Call of Duty and the expansion with are both GREAT games. Ton of people still play them online too, so its hour and hours of fun!
KorJax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 KorJax
Member since 2004 • 2564 Posts
Well, you could also go oldie and play Deus Ex, one of the best games ever made IMHO.
cametall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 cametall
Member since 2003 • 7692 Posts
STALKER, Halo, and CoH that were suggested might chug along. STALKER and Halo require high amounts of RAM, especially Halo (for some reason, poorly optimized I guess). CoH because of the video card. I don't know about NWN2.
morrdin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 morrdin
Member since 2003 • 217 Posts
Note on NWN2: The FX 5200 will NOT run this game. If you do shell out a couple hundred for a new vid card though, you will be good to go.
DJSMITH007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DJSMITH007
Member since 2007 • 399 Posts
Wolfinstein Enemy Territory, Americas Army, Guild Wars, Sims 1 and 2, Counter Strike 1.6 and Counter Strike Source
ForlornHope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ForlornHope
Member since 2006 • 1809 Posts

SOTE

All of those besides coh will work as well as shogun and medieval total war and maybe rome total war command and conquer the firsty decade all of those will work.

ForlornHope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ForlornHope
Member since 2006 • 1809 Posts

STALKER, Halo, and CoH that were suggested might chug along. STALKER and Halo require high amounts of RAM, especially Halo (for some reason, poorly optimized I guess). CoH because of the video card. I don't know about NWN2.cametall

Bull. I don't know why people keep saying that I played Halo pc maxed out on a 2800+ sempron with 512mb and a 6600 vanilla and it played without a hint of lag anywhere. That game has a bad rep.

tranquilo_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 tranquilo_
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

I am going to concentrate on FPS's as you said and on games where you can get a decent experience. So for example maybe you can run FEAR but not as it was intended to be played so for me this game is a pass for you right now.

All source games should run at a decent level (Counter Strike Source, Day of Defeat Source, Half Life 2 and Deathmatch + many mods) just that is hours and hours of fun. Battlefield 1942 with the Desert Combat mod (+ many other mods), Call of Duty, Call of Duty United Offensive, Unreal Tournament 2k4, Quake III Arena, The No one lives forever series, Warsow (it is free), America's Army also free, Medal of Honor Allied Assault + Expansions, Brothers in arms Road to Hill 30, Halo Combat Evolved, Jedi Knight series, Star Wars Republic Commando, Serious Sam series, Soldier of Fortune2 Double Helix, Max Payne 1 and 2 (they are not shooters but are very action packed). I would recommend to try the source + call of duty games and the free games first, thats enough to get you started, hope this helps!

Some advice if you wish to upgrade without spending that much, get a GeForce 6600GT pretty cheap this days and512megs of moreram

gatorteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 gatorteen
Member since 2005 • 2760 Posts
Get the original call of duty you cant go wrong. You can play everything at max settings, and it is a really good game. Lots of actions and it was the best sounding gaming of its time. Alot people still play it online, and it has vehicles unlike 2 i still play it today even though its a 3 1/2 year old game
doomsdaydave11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#26 doomsdaydave11
Member since 2006 • 1159 Posts

Wide, oldschool, variety. :)

Starcraft

Diablo II

Warcraft 3

Red Alert 2

C&C Generals

Half-Life

Outlaws (rare and expensive... but fun)

Counter Strike 1.6

Call of Duty 1 maybe

Jazz Jackrabbit 2 :lol:

Wartzay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Wartzay
Member since 2006 • 2036 Posts
Age of Mythology and its expansion, The Titans are very good RTS's that still have 1000+ people playing them multiplayer after you finish their excellent campaigns and play some games vrs the exellent(for an RTS) AI. They still look very good and they run on old hardware too.
mismajor99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28 mismajor99
Member since 2003 • 5671 Posts

Dawn Of War Platinum edition :P

Very good RTS that just about anyone can get into....

lycrof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 lycrof
Member since 2005 • 6393 Posts
You can play most Source games i think. Try Sin episode 1. Also Tomb Raider Anneversry has rather low end requirments
Wartzay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Wartzay
Member since 2006 • 2036 Posts

You can

You can play most Source games i think. Try Sin episode 1. Also Tomb Raider Anneversry has rather low end requirmentslycrof

You can't beat a sexy chick with guns doing summersults in light attire. :)

NoAssKicker47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#31 NoAssKicker47
Member since 2004 • 2855 Posts
Along the regular Half-Life 2 recommendation, I'd recommend the Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay. It's one of the very best games I've ever played. You should be able to run it on at least medium settings. With my 9600XT I ran it maxed out (well except the SM2.0 settings) at it was smooth.
DrDoomed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DrDoomed
Member since 2003 • 11386 Posts

Darwinia.

8)

nightharvest

that game gave me a headache :(

narbacular drop is better :)

tallonfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 tallonfish
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
Since you like FPS, You should enjoy the fun little drug called Painkiller and it's expansion pack. The graphics are great and also the physics. The music is dandy too.
NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 NamelessPlayer
Member since 2004 • 7729 Posts
GeForce FX 5200? Ouch, and my Radeon 9600 XT doesn't have the chops for modern games. I don't want to imagine how much a FX 5200 or any other FX card is going to choke and die on modern games, especially SM 2.0 ones. Anyway... -The greatest (space adventure and exploration) game of all time (freeware) -Deus Ex -System Shock 2 -Starsiege: Tribes (freeware) -Tribes 2 (freeware, or at least until they ran out of CD keys or whatever) -Freespace SCP ("freeware"; there's a torrent of both games in the series, made legal due to a EULA loophole IIRC) -Independence War 2 -Allegiance (freeware) -Falcon 4.0 (either the original or Allied Force should work; just make sure that you have a good HOTAS and a lot of patience, because this is the truly hardcore of the hardcore flight sims) -Battlefield 1942 (still runs pretty good on old hardware, much unlike Battlefield 2) -MechWarrior 2 31stCC/GBL/Mercs (not easy to run on post-Win9x OSes, though) -MechWarrior 3 -Rocket Jockey (get this patch to install it on a 2000/XP system) That's enough of a game list for now.
everson_rm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35 everson_rm
Member since 2004 • 1664 Posts
Try Clive Barker's:Undyng. One of the bests FPS out there!!!
BloodPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 BloodPhantom
Member since 2004 • 1802 Posts

I don't know what you guys are talking about, I have a system near identical to that andI play FEAR, Oblivion, and a lot ofother rather demanding games on half-decent settings.

In fact,I'mgoing to reinstall FEAR right now.

NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 NamelessPlayer
Member since 2004 • 7729 Posts

I don't know what you guys are talking about, I have a system near identical to that andI play FEAR, Oblivion, and a lot ofother rather demanding games on half-decent settings.

In fact,I'mgoing to reinstall FEAR right now.

BloodPhantom
My specs aren't too far from his: -AMD Athlon XP 1800+ (Palomino, 266 MHz FSB) -512 MB DDR-266 SDRAM (single-channel) -ATI Radeon 9600 XT 128 MB (4x AGP) -Creative SB Live! Value F.E.A.R. ran okay, but it meant taking out most of the shadows, thus killing the atmosphere of the game. Oblivion? It runs well-but ONLY indoors. Go outside, and it's a slideshow-on MINIMUM settings, even. (Then again, I didn't use Oldblivion, which I'm not quite sure would benefit a card like the 9600 XT that supports SM 2.0.) Note that I don't want the FPS to dip under 30 FPS under any circumstances. and if it's a fast-paced game like Unreal Tournament, it cannot go below 60 FPS. Not happening with this system and any game released in the last five years. Admitted, the OP has a much faster CPU, but his GPU is also much worse. I think that the two aforementioned examples will be hit worse by the GPU than benefitting from the faster CPU, given how most games are today.
jashua-jash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 jashua-jash
Member since 2004 • 2098 Posts
i remember saving up for 5 weeks just to buy the $20 dollar game jazz jackrabbit. there was so much reference to drug use in that game it scared me when i played ita couple months ago
war3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 war3
Member since 2003 • 103 Posts

Counter-strike 1.6 ------->you will easily be able to play this and get good fps to dominate as well as have a freakin' blast!!

Max Payne 1 and Max Payne 2---->super fun with killer story and guns

Falconoffury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Falconoffury
Member since 2003 • 1722 Posts

X-Com Interceptor, Myth, Myth 2: Soulblighter, Heroes of Might and Magic 2-4, Might and Magic VI or higher, Warcraft 1-3, Age of Empires 1 and 2, Empire Earth, Deadlock, Master of Orion 2, Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, Icewind Dale 1 and 2, Divine Divinity, Beyond Divinity, Disciples 2, Neverwinter Nights 1, Arcanum.

That should hold you for a while.