I'm given up on Rizen...

#1 Posted by Blazepanzer24 (195 posts) -

Two power supplies (Both high cost and quality BTW), killed, two good rated motherboards, one practically catching on fire, and nearly $800 wasted, I have to give up on the platform. Both computers where built well and with care, both where disconnected during storms, and they just conk out just like that?

Out of curiosity, has anyone else had this problems?

As for me, I guess I'll just find me a decent store computer I can hook my old GT 730 graphics card into and use that. Most of the PC exclusives I want to play would work with almost any decent Intel 2+ core processor with at least 2.5 GHz, and the rest I'll just buy on console or miss out on them if it's too unplayable or not in my computer's capability.

#2 Posted by Horgen (120906 posts) -

Either you are extremely unlucky, or you are doing something wrong.

I dunno the laws and warranty where you live, but here I could get my mobo and everything else that failed due to PSU failing replaced alongside replacing the PSU. If the PSU fails within the first 5 years that is.

#3 Posted by 04dcarraher (23225 posts) -

Need to know what your definition of Both high cost and quality PSU's is.....

#4 Posted by Blazepanzer24 (195 posts) -

As far as the PSU's, I can't remember exactly what model the first one was, but it was a Thermaltake 750W 80+ bronze certified modular and the second was a Rosewell Glacier series 850W 80+bronze certified. The Thermaltake cost me about $80 or $90, and I got the Rosewell on sell for about $70, though it supposedly goes for over $100.

#5 Posted by WESTBLADE (503 posts) -
@blazepanzer24 said:

As far as the PSU's, I can't remember exactly what model the first one was, but it was a Thermaltake 750W 80+ bronze certified modular and the second was a Rosewell Glacier series 850W 80+bronze certified. The Thermaltake cost me about $80 or $90, and I got the Rosewell on sell for about $70, though it supposedly goes for over $100.

Those are not ''high quality and cost'' PSU's... LOL.

My little one...: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-hx850-psu,5257.html

#6 Posted by npiet1 (2475 posts) -

@blazepanzer24 said:

Bronze isn't really high cost or quality but they aren't terrible quality, I mean I paid $60 for mine and that came with the case, over a year later and still no problems. I would still get the warranty on them. Something seriously wrong happened. Can you tell us, what you recently did with the PC's, like did you replace the psu because the old one died? or was it all new and put together? any other parts recently replaced?

#7 Edited by 04dcarraher (23225 posts) -

@blazepanzer24 said:

Thermaltake are ok, but only "good" when you get their gold rated. Rosewill are not that great. A few are fine but most are meh. You have to look at in depth reviews to gauge how good a psu is.

#8 Posted by rmpumper (669 posts) -

I have seen people complain about the RMx Corsairs killing their brand new mobos and SSDs so you might have just been really unlucky, but two in a row is kind of strange.

#9 Edited by Random_Matt (4294 posts) -

Should of bought a Seasonic.

Are EVGA good PSUs?

#10 Posted by Horgen (120906 posts) -

@Random_Matt said:

Are EVGA good PSUs?

Yup. 7 or 10 year warranty on many of them. Look up who their maker is.

#11 Posted by Blazepanzer24 (195 posts) -

Well, the first power supply had been used in my older FX build, but I moved in with my grandfather to help care for him when he developed bone cancer, so I didn't use it for about two years since I moved into his old Fema Trailer. (One of those temporary homes Fema used during Katrina.) However, I did use the FX pc for about a year after I moved back to my old house. Since it had only been used for about three years, minus the gap, I figured it'd be okay. Everything else though was new when I build the Ryzen 5 PC, new motherboard, ram, computer case, hard drive, graphics card, ect.

When I inspected the first motherboard, I noticed it had a burn mark in one spot.

After that one died, I build another new computer, with all new parts including the Rosewell PSU, new ram, new Ryzen 5 Processor and motherboard, everything new, even using a new case and windows license.

I tested both the thermaltake Rosewell on my old FX processor and nothing, however when I hooked up an old dell PSU, the FX processor started up. Unfortunately I can't test the Ryzen motherboards on it since it only has a 4 pin CPU power connector and the Ryzen motherboards require a 8 pin CPU connector.

More than likely it was the motherboard that killed the PSU than the PSU themselves, however Since I can't test the second one, I can't be absolutely. I know for certain that the first motherboard won't work, since it has those burn marks. Needless to say I won't be using the GIGABYTE GA-A320M-S2H AM4 anymore. Back when I bought it, that motherboard seemed to meet my needs, but...

#12 Posted by Willy105 (24855 posts) -

Are you sure it wasn’t your house? Brownouts and power surges can kill electronics.

#13 Posted by GeryGo (12450 posts) -

@blazepanzer24: Buy UPS if you have lots of storms - best solution, there's also anti surge / lightining bracket to install on the wall - I use one of those - sure it aint UPS but it does the work pretty good - I also use these on high cost electrical merch like refrigirator.

#14 Edited by Random_Matt (4294 posts) -
@horgen said:
@Random_Matt said:

Are EVGA good PSUs?

A few, happy to seem some are seasonic and others superflower. The one I am interested in is made by FSP, might stick with Corsair on this occasion.

#15 Posted by Blazepanzer24 (195 posts) -

I'm certain it wasn't a power surge, and anytime I expected or experienced storms as I made sure to have the desktop unplugged, and anything hooked up to it during normal use had to be unplugged or disconnected during those times. Though I have considered getting a UPS a couple of time in the last couple of years, I've never really gotten around to buying one.

#16 Posted by 04dcarraher (23225 posts) -

@Random_Matt said:
@horgen said:
@Random_Matt said:

Are EVGA good PSUs?

A few, happy to seem some are seasonic and others superflower. The one I am interested in is made by FSP, might stick with Corsair on this occasion.

My EVGA G2 850w has 10 year warranty.

#18 Edited by ronvalencia (28203 posts) -

@blazepanzer24 said:

Well, the first power supply had been used in my older FX build, but I moved in with my grandfather to help care for him when he developed bone cancer, so I didn't use it for about two years since I moved into his old Fema Trailer. (One of those temporary homes Fema used during Katrina.) However, I did use the FX pc for about a year after I moved back to my old house. Since it had only been used for about three years, minus the gap, I figured it'd be okay. Everything else though was new when I build the Ryzen 5 PC, new motherboard, ram, computer case, hard drive, graphics card, ect.

When I inspected the first motherboard, I noticed it had a burn mark in one spot.

After that one died, I build another new computer, with all new parts including the Rosewell PSU, new ram, new Ryzen 5 Processor and motherboard, everything new, even using a new case and windows license.

I tested both the thermaltake Rosewell on my old FX processor and nothing, however when I hooked up an old dell PSU, the FX processor started up. Unfortunately I can't test the Ryzen motherboards on it since it only has a 4 pin CPU power connector and the Ryzen motherboards require a 8 pin CPU connector.

More than likely it was the motherboard that killed the PSU than the PSU themselves, however Since I can't test the second one, I can't be absolutely. I know for certain that the first motherboard won't work, since it has those burn marks. Needless to say I won't be using the GIGABYTE GA-A320M-S2H AM4 anymore. Back when I bought it, that motherboard seemed to meet my needs, but...

GIGABYTE GA-A320M-S2H is a low end motherboard. 6 Chokes.https://pcpartpicker.com/products/motherboard/#sort=price&s=33

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/PCKcCJ/asrock-b450-pro4-atx-am4-motherboard-b450-pro4

ASRock - B450 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard has superior power circuitry with heat sinks. 9 Chokes.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/kwXnTW/msi-a320m-pro-m2-micro-atx-am4-motherboard-a320m-pro-m2

The same A320 chipset based motherboard from MSI has 7 Chokes.

Chokes are usually located beside the MOSFET and are responsible for stabilizing the currents and capacitors in the event that there is a sudden voltage spike.

---

For 8 cores CPU PC builds, I used SeaSonic branded PSU with either 760W 80+ Gold and 1000W 80+ Platinum rated.

My house is about 10 years old in the newish suburb.

#19 Posted by Blazepanzer24 (195 posts) -

Just an update, I managed to get my PC fixed. Thankfully the second motherboard and the other components where fine, with the exception the power supply unit, which I swapped out the broken Roswell Glacer 850 watt psu for an 80+ bronze Seasonic S12II 520 watt. I still don't trust the motherboard though, since the first one I had practically caught on fire. But at least the computer's working again so I'll keep using motherboard out for a little while longer and hopefully it won't catch on fire like the first one.

Still, since the new PSU is at a lower wattage, I doubt I'll be doing any upgrades, save maybe swamping the third hard drive out for a SSD in a year or two. (Considering it's about 8 years old! Granted it's just there for extra storage at the moment and really has nothing on it yet.) I probably won't be playing a lot of the newest AAA games anyways since most of them are still having their love affair with micro-transactions and what-not. (I can barely afford a $40 game each much as it is!)

I also invested in a UPS, so that should take some of the worry about a sudden loss of power or a power surge. Still, I think I'll continue unplugging everything if I know that a thunderstorm is coming, just to be on the safe side. I really can't afford to lose any more components for a while.

Avatar image for burntbyhellfire
#20 Edited by burntbyhellfire (451 posts) -

i actually had an issue with rosewill PSUs recently.. i had one fry out on a PC i had put it into, i returned it to newegg for a replacement and the one i received fried out in less than a day two.. then i returned it for a refund and ordered the thermaltake.. i believe the same one you described and its been running solid since.. thats in an FX-8350 / HD7950 PC right now.. my current one is the ryzen 5 and ive had zero issues at all

rosewill PSUs are junk

#21 Edited by ronvalencia (28203 posts) -

Ryzen 5 with 6 cores should be treated like Intel CPU with 6 cores i.e. don't use crappy brand PSU.

On my Sandybridge Core i7-2600 and Haswell Core i7-4790K PCs, I used https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/3439/cooler_master_gx_750w_power_supply/index2.html

When buying lower end AM4 A320 motherboards with more than 4 CPU cores, look at VRM design that will give you the best bang per buck e.g. I would select MSI's A320 over Gigabyte's A320.

#22 Edited by DragonfireXZ95 (25456 posts) -

I've never had an issue with a PSU, except for an old one I had that didn't output enough wattage for the 480 GTX I upgraded to at the time, but the PSU definitely wasn't faulty, just didn't output enough amps on the 12V rail.

I would recommend sticking with either Corsair, EVGA, or Seasonic. I'm currently using an EVGA G3 1000W in mine, and although ECO mode sucks(I just leave it off now since it caused high RPM fan spinning which was super loud when on), the PSU has been phenomenal in every other aspect.

If you need PSU efficiency, try to get at least a gold rated PSU, although a bronze would be okay as long as it's a reputable brand.

Looks like you got a Seasonic, so results should be good from here on out unless your wattage doesn't suffice. EVGA has a power meter so you might be able to check what the requirements would be for solid stability. https://www.evga.com/power-meter/