Im considering getting an IPS monitor

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Chris_53 (5445 posts) -

I mainly use my PC for gaming, but I also do some photography. Im thinking an IPS monitor will enhance the quality of both, particially photography since they can display colours more accuratly.

I currently have an LG W2261P (I think) which is full HD and has decent contrast ratio, but its a TN panel and suffers from bad viewing angles and a bad backlight bleeding.

Do you think an IPS panel monitor would be worth while ?

Thanks in advance

#2 Posted by Kinthalis (5503 posts) -

Absolutely. I swear by mine. The terrible viewing angles on TN panel in particular are something I'll never go back to. The color quality and larger contrast ratio are just icing on the cake.

For photography, specially, it's kind of a must. See if you cna pick up a model the features factory calibration like the Dell U2711, or it's smaller cousin.

They cna be pricey though, but I figure you already knew that.

#3 Posted by KHAndAnime (17565 posts) -
Definitely. Pick up a Dell Ultrasharp U212M and a colorimeter and you're set. :P
#4 Posted by painguy1 (8686 posts) -

dell ultrasharps are great

#5 Posted by Chris_53 (5445 posts) -
Thanks guys, ive been looking at a 24 inch Dell model. How much of a performance hit in games would I get if I went from 1920x1080 (my res) to 1920x1200 ?
#6 Posted by skrat_01 (33767 posts) -
Definitely. Pick up a Dell Ultrasharp U212M and a colorimeter and you're set. :PKHAndAnime
Dell Ultrasharp U2312? I couldn't agree more if it's that, I bought one less then a week ago and it has been absolutely amazing (after months of sitting on the fence and trying to work out what monitor to buy) - my TN siting next to it pales in comparison. Ultrasharps in general are well worth your dosh. Great response time, fantastic colour and brightness, excellent warranty too (3 years).
#7 Posted by skrat_01 (33767 posts) -
Thanks guys, ive been looking at a 24 inch Dell model. How much of a performance hit in games would I get if I went from 1920x1080 (my res) to 1920x1200 ?Chris_53
The U2312 is the 1080p 23 inch model if you're looking for a 16:9 model, otherwise I highly doubt it'll be that much of a hit at all or noticeable in terms of frame drop.
#8 Posted by Lox_Cropek (3555 posts) -

If you can find an IPS with a good response time, they're really awesome.

#9 Posted by gedz (674 posts) -

I picked up the dell U2412m a while back and absolutely love it. Colours are so much more vibrant. I haven't noticed any performance drops going from 1080p to 1920x1200. I would defo recommend it

#10 Posted by kidcool189 (4307 posts) -

I recently ordered one of the popular Korean ips's, 27" 2560x1440 27" Crossover 27q, that's in the process of still being shipped. It'll be my first IPS&that big of a size/rez.Can't **** wait. Though I'm still a bit scared, even with spending the extra dough on a "pixel perfect".

#11 Posted by KHAndAnime (17565 posts) -
[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"]Definitely. Pick up a Dell Ultrasharp U212M and a colorimeter and you're set. :Pskrat_01
Dell Ultrasharp U2312? I couldn't agree more if it's that, I bought one less then a week ago and it has been absolutely amazing (after months of sitting on the fence and trying to work out what monitor to buy) - my TN siting next to it pales in comparison. Ultrasharps in general are well worth your dosh. Great response time, fantastic colour and brightness, excellent warranty too (3 years).

Meant to say 2412, but that's equally as good (minus the inch). :P It's one sexy monitor.
#12 Posted by Kanearep (25 posts) -
Recently bought this monitor. Viewing angle much better than a TN monitor. The range of colors is very good, minus blacks, once properly calibrated with a spectrometer. There might be a tad bit extra hint of blue. Note, that this monitor does not have an HDMI connection, so if HDMI is a must for you this may be a problem.