I was just reading the WoW forums and...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

superfluidity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 superfluidity
Member since 2010 • 2163 Posts

I suddenly had an intense urge to play again, despite the fact that there's no possilble way I can and it would probably destroy my life if I did because I work in a competitive industry and have an active lifestyle. I barely have time for playing shooters, let alone something like WoW.

Wow is honestly like a hard drug if you've played it for long enough (I played launch-Dec 09). I haven't played for nearly two years but just reading about it for a while made me daydream about sitting in Org crafting stuff and looking for raids.

mattuk69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 mattuk69
Member since 2009 • 3050 Posts

WOW is petty casual now. I come from work do 1 or 2 instances top or maybe none at all. You can still build gear real easy. The end content is pretty boring now tbh.

WOW is not a drug if you spend to much time on it its your own fault.

Zubinen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Zubinen
Member since 2011 • 2555 Posts
Play Minecraft instead, it's more pick up and play, the community is strong, and there's more room for creativity. I think it's a good alternative for people that use to play mmorpgs but need something lighter that won't affect them as much, if at all.
superfluidity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 superfluidity

WOW is petty casual now. I come from work do 1 or 2 instances top or maybe none at all. You can still build gear real easy. The end content is pretty boring now tbh.

WOW is not a drug if you spend to much time on it its your own fault.

mattuk69

Well when I last played during WotLK the majority of the raids took several hours to complete. That's doable on a weekend with absolutely no plans but completely impossible during the week.

Anyway, I'm not talking about playing too much, I was just surprised by the feeling I got from reading about it. I have enough self-control to choose not to play but the game creates a system of rewards that I think are definitely designed to get you psychologically hooked.

painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 painguy1
Member since 2007 • 8686 Posts

I found WoW very boring tbh. All I did most of the time was use Rain of Fire(an attack) over & over & over again. Essentially I was walking around while pressing only 1 button to complete a quest or do a raid or w/e. how is that fun? I got to level 80 pretty quickly so don;t tell me the game gerts better once u reach that point cuz i beg to differ. it doesn't change at all.

Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

I've found that whenever I had urges to play WoW, it's during times when I'm really bored and have too much free time. Usually during the summer when school is out. I go back and play and play too much then I realize how bored I get of the game. It's a good timewaster if you have time to waste.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

I suddenly had an intense urge to play again, despite the fact that there's no possilble way I can and it would probably destroy my life if I did because I work in a competitive industry and have an active life**** I barely have time for playing shooters, let alone something like WoW.

Wow is honestly like a hard drug if you've played it for long enough (I played launch-Dec 09). I haven't played for nearly two years but just reading about it for a while made me daydream about sitting in Org crafting stuff and looking for raids.

superfluidity

AND here we go YET AGAIN...

Another person that can't juggle real life with WoW and thinks because you play WoW, it will destroy your life like a hard drug.

I played WoW for like 3 years... never interfered with my personal life, I didn't loose any friends or relationships either.

IT"S CALLED SELF CONTROL.

superfluidity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 superfluidity

I found WoW very boring tbh. All I did most of the time was use Rain of Fire(an attack) over & over & over again. Essentially I was walking around while pressing only 1 button to complete a quest or do a raid or w/e. how is that fun? I got to level 80 pretty quickly so don;t tell me the game gerts better once u reach that point cuz i beg to differ. it doesn't change at all.

painguy1

One button to raid? Maybe with a stacked group late in an expansion's lifecycle, but otherwise you would probably get kicked. Some classes do spam one button a lot I suppose but there's still dealing with all of the dynamics the raid encounters throw at you.

I agree that the game isn't all that exciting most of the time but it constantly holds a carrot in front of one to keep them playing, for competitive people anyway.

Avatar image for IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
IxX3xil3d0n3XxI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#9 IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
Member since 2006 • 1508 Posts
Honestly, WoW is crap now. I WANT to play it and I WANT to be addicted to it, and I WANT it to consume my life. However its just so boring and repetitive now I cant bring myself to play it even if it wanted to. I couldnt even log on when I had 5 days free. Its just bad after cata. Completely ruined for me.
superfluidity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 superfluidity

Another person that can't juggle real life with WoW and thinks because you play WoW, it will destroy your life like a hard drug.

I played WoW for like 3 years... never interfered with my personal life, I didn't loose any friends or relationships either.

FelipeInside

It comes down to what satisfies one both in life and in the game. I have no doubt I could reopen my account, log on 5 minutes a day and accomplish nothing. That isn't enough for me to feel satisfied.

Avatar image for Gamesterpheonix
Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Gamesterpheonix
Member since 2005 • 3676 Posts
WoW is definitely more casual now but I like that. It was irritatingly difficult to get into before WotLK when I quit (two hours before it came out in fact) and when I played again recently (cuz I got the game for free) it was fun. I could easily and comfortably progress from level to level without stressing and didnt have to devote my life to it. I dont instance or raid or PvP or any of that trash so it wasnt too demanding or addicting to me. I jsut dont see the point in any of it. I liked exploring and getting stuff and absolutely loved commodity trading in the AH. lol was just exciting to sell things. I stopped after my free month with 300 gold sitting in my coffers and I was just lvl 40.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 FelipeInside

Honestly, WoW is crap now. I WANT to play it and I WANT to be addicted to it, and I WANT it to consume my life. However its just so boring and repetitive now I cant bring myself to play it even if it wanted to. I couldnt even log on when I had 5 days free. Its just bad after cata. Completely ruined for me. IxX3xil3d0n3XxI

Why would you want to be ADDICTED to it though....???

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

superfluidity

It comes down to what satisfies one both in life and in the game. I have no doubt I could reopen my account, log on 5 minutes a day and accomplish nothing. That isn't enough for me to feel satisfied.

Depends what YOU find satisfying of course. When I played I could log in for 30min-1hr and accomplish a few things...I didn't have to play 3-4 hours.

superfluidity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 superfluidity

Depends what YOU find satisfying of course. When I played I could log in for 30min-1hr and accomplish a few things...I didn't have to play 3-4 hours.

FelipeInside

Let's be honest here, 30 mins-1 hour is enough to either level an alt a bit, farm or do a single instance.

I can see that being somewhat entertaining but you don't really experience the content you're paying $15 a month for.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

i played for a year, but it was the same recycled treadmill every time. Get gear to raid, raid to get gear, rinse, repeat. I've since moved on to LotrO where fun can be had outside of endgame. Max level is 75 and my highest is 40 across 9 characters, and it's the most fun I've had in an MMO in over a decade. For once a game that doesnt thrive off of stats and gear cycles, plus i can make my character look however i want gear-wise

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

superfluidity

Let's be honest here, 30 mins-1 hour is enough to either level an alt a bit, farm or do a single instance.

I can see that being somewhat entertaining but you don't really experience the content you're paying $15 a month for.

Again, for YOU. 1hr is more then enough to log in, finish a few quests....talk to friends and hang out, level (depending)....or even a short instance. Obviously you are much more hardcore and need to be obsessed with end game to enjoy WoW, but not all players are like that....
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 FelipeInside

i played for a year, but it was the same recycled treadmill every time. Get gear to raid, raid to get gear, rinse, repeat. I've since moved on to LotrO where fun can be had outside of endgame. Max level is 75 and my highest is 40 across 9 characters, and it's the most fun I've had in an MMO in over a decade. For once a game that doesnt thrive off of stats and gear cycles, plus i can make my character look however i want gear-wise

wis3boi
True. But WoW at the start (Vanilla and even first expansion) was the same as LOTRO, where you could explore, hang out and have fun. These days it's become more of a stats game and job then a fun game....that's why I left....
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

FelipeInside

True. But WoW at the start (Vanilla and even first expansion) was the same as LOTRO, where you could explore, hang out and have fun. These days it's become more of a stats game and job then a fun game....that's why I left....

the difference is, wow doesnt offer many "things" to do for someone who isnt a raider or pvper. In lotro, there are entire guilds based on the player-made music system, there was a concert of irish folk tunes last night near a town, nearly 300 people showed up, and drinks were passed out and cooks made food. The fall festival is coming up soon, and there are eating contests, dancing contests, horse racing, fishing contests. Not to mention the incredibly large list of emotes are much more detailed and interesting to help you interact with the environment. And stats and gear and level dont factor into any of the things I mentioned. I wish more MMOs had things like this

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="wis3boi"]

wis3boi

the difference is, wow doesnt offer many "things" to do for someone who isnt a raider or pvper. In lotro, there are entire guilds based on the player-made music system, there was a concert of irish folk tunes last night near a town, nearly 300 people showed up, and drinks were passed out and cooks made food. The fall festival is coming up soon, and there are eating contests, dancing contests, horse racing, fishing contests. Not to mention the incredibly large list of emotes are much more detailed and interesting to help you interact with the environment. And stats and gear and level dont factor into any of the things I mentioned. I wish more MMOs had things like this

Very true, that's why I LOVED LOTRO when I used to play it.

But remember, WoW also has these things... (carnivals, shows etc) but people don't care about them anymore, or don't use them as much as they used to when Vanilla was out...

I agree though that LOTRO concentrates more on the social aspect than WoW.

TentacleMayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 TentacleMayor
Member since 2008 • 1469 Posts
It's meant to be addictive, but with a bit of discipline you can play with moderation. In recent years, it's been made easier to just get into some action quickly: you can queue for dungeons and battlegrounds across entire clusters of servers, and so there's no shortage of teammates except in the morning. The world's been kinda phased out: the Cataclysm quests are good, but repetitive dungeoning is the fastest way to level and get good gear along the way. A lot of players are unhappy with the world of Warcraft being concentrated more than ever in two or three capital cities and instanced areas. For myself, I don't mind questing alone, but with this trend they might decide to focus more on instanced content in future. Hopefully they'll take steps to bring the actual world back to life.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

Look at your comments people and think next time when you want MMOs to be hardcore. Cataclysm was a huge step in the right direction for people that wanted a harder, more complex WoW, now that we got it, most are like "oh WoW is so boring now, I don't like it anymore, Cataclysm is so bad".

That's what you get for not knowing what you want, but they sure showed you and the masses, most want it to turn into WotLK as fast as possible AKA get more than 3 times as easy at it is now, because people have fun playing casual games, not hardcore ones, people want to feel special "Oh I said hardcore and MMO and now I'm cool, not like those kids that play all these casual MMOs, not that I play any hard games, but rawrgh give me hardcore MMO"...

As for others WoW doesn't start or end at lvl 85.

WoW is great right now (PvP not so much, but if you're a warrior or mage you don't have to worry about much), but it takes a lot of time, even now after they toned down the difficulty, you can't get gear if you only play for a few hours every week and expect to enjoy dungeons and raids, gear is not THAT easy to get and you won't enjoy just like most of the players right now don't (because they never asked for a hardcore MMO, they asked for a casual one), because it's not casual enough to be strictly about fun, people expect great performance in organized PvE, they expect you to know everything there is to know about what you're going to do, it won't be fun if you don't.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23998 Posts

WoW is pretty casual these days, heck there is even a Looking For Raid tool. So if you want to raid, you can raid during those weekends.

painguy1

While raids do have more complex rotations than that. It is things like this why static trinity combat is a terrible combat, there is little need to adapt to encounters. As a dps you only need to focus on taking down the foe. It is the ultimate detriment to tactics, teamwork, encounter design and ultimately fun.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23998 Posts

Look at your comments people and think next time when you want MMOs to be hardcore. Cataclysm was a huge step in the right direction for people that wanted a harder, more complex WoW, now that we got it, most are like "oh WoW is so boring now, I don't like it anymore, Cataclysm is so bad".

That's what you get for not knowing what you want, but they sure showed you and the masses, most want it to turn into WotLK as fast as possible AKA get more than 3 times as easy at it is now, because people have fun playing casual games, not hardcore ones, people want to feel special "Oh I said hardcore and MMO and now I'm cool, not like those kids that play all these casual MMOs, not that I play any hard games, but rawrgh give me hardcore MMO"...

As for others WoW doesn't start or end at lvl 85.

WoW is great right now (PvP not so much, but if you're a warrior or mage you don't have to worry about much), but it takes a lot of time, even now after they toned down the difficulty, you can't get gear if you only play for a few hours every week and expect to enjoy dungeons and raids, gear is not THAT easy to get and you won't enjoy just like most of the players right now don't (because they never asked for a hardcore MMO, they asked for a casual one), because it's not casual enough to be strictly about fun, people expect great performance in organized PvE, they expect you to know everything there is to know about what you're going to do, it won't be fun if you don't.

DanielDust

There are 3 reasons I consider WoW to be boring.

1. Cataclysm Dungeons just felt uninspired. Not only the layout, but also the encounter design. WotLK had a bit mroe fun encounters imo, despite being weaker.
  2. Stagnation. What relevant changes did cataclysm do to WoW, sure it revamped low level areas, but what relevant changes at endgame where most people spend their time?
  3. The gear, appearancewise is just so uninspiring. It was bad in WotLK, even worse in Cata. It is like they are not even trying anymore.

As for difficulty, fans can never be pleased, look at the Zelda cycle as proof. Furthermore I know a lot of the old fans who liked WoW during its vanilla and TBC eras, left during WotLK and never bothered returning, same goes for their community. A lot of people who play WoW now began with around WotLK. People are leaving at a faster rate than ever, and there is just not enough interesting content to keep people shelling out 15 dollars a month.

I cant believe it took them this long to add something along the lines of appearance slots.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
There are of course people that don't like the kind of MMO WoW is, but any person that wanted WoW to be harder, wants to enjoy the game more and considers Cataclysm bad or boring are all people that need to get a clue as to what they actually want from games, because the game turned out like this due to all the complaining from those leet hardcores that are actually in a minority, but they're the ones that rule the forums, forums that Blizz employees read, the type of hardcore players that think they're so good and WoW is so casual, getting gear is so easy that they can't get the best gear in the game (you can't grind your way to that gear), can't defeat the hardest bosses on the hardest difficulties (can't wait to see the whining when the 3rd difficulty from the Deathwing raid crushes 99.9% of these hardcores) and most of the time they can't even defeat the last bosses from raids on normal. Cataclysm made WoW fun again, fresh, with all the content and new things implemented, but it's a fact that most of its players hate PvE (besides the usual PvP hate), it's long, it's pretty hard (was extremely hard at launch) and there are those few hardcore wannabes that ruin the fun, that's why nowadays most people enjoy WoW for what it is, exploration and questing, which is a good thing, but not at the cost of having fun in PvE because of frustrated few. I like WoW as it is right now, don't like how broken ret Paladin still is, but the game is great, even if I'm not having any problems with the limited PvE that I play (casual raiding and the valor cap for heroic dungeons - will not do anything serious till I complete everything there is other than PvE and PvP), but even if I don't, there are others that do have problems, and it's annoying to see them constantly abused by others, because one starts to whine, then another, then another, then they argue, then somebody leaves, then another and so on...they destroyed the overall enjoyment of WoW by listening to the people that want a less casual game.
Avatar image for HaloinventedFPS
HaloinventedFPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 HaloinventedFPS
Member since 2010 • 4738 Posts

the B-team pretty much ruined Wow

wait for Titan

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#25 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
Just say no :(
Warhearted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26 Warhearted
Member since 2005 • 236 Posts

Don't start WoW again. It'll only distract you from TOR.

Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#27 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts
Don't go to WoW; it is the same boring stuff as always.
SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts

Don't get me wrong here I have put a lot of time into WoW but I can't see what people find so addictive about it really, I have always found small MMO's with less servers and a tighter community to be far more engaging. I did make some pukka friends playing WoW :) but the actual game is a bit too monotonous to be compared to narcotics if you ask me :P.

shakmaster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 shakmaster13
Member since 2007 • 7138 Posts
The main problem with WoW is gameplay stagnation. I mean, I really don't want to play the same exact game for 7 years.
IZoMBiEI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 IZoMBiEI
Member since 2002 • 6477 Posts

painguy1
using rain of fire in a raid is complete fail, even if you're destro specced
superfluidity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 superfluidity

Don't get me wrong here I have put a lot of time into WoW but I can't see what people find so addictive about it really, I have always found small MMO's with less servers and a tighter community to be far more engaging. I did make some pukka friends playing WoW :) but the actual game is a bit too monotonous to be compared to narcotics if you ask me :P.

SapSacPrime

For me it was always about getting that new piece of gear.

When my character started getting really stacked in WotLK I had one of the top resto shamans on the server and I just became obsessed with improving my character in the smallest way. Same thing during BC, I played a warrior and I was obsessed with building both his tank set and his pvp gear.

There's always a new way to improve and after a while it becomes an extremely addictive cycle for me.

bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts
If you got addicted before then why would you bother going back. Its still the same gear grinding game, although overall its easier.