I want to start streaming. What's a good computer to get?

Avatar image for worlds_apart
#1 Edited by Worlds_Apart (184 posts) -

Hi all. I game on console only and want to start streaming my console gameplay to twitch. The laptop I have now really struggles. It sometimes freezes or has slow downs. I bought it in 2013, it has 2 cores at 2.40 ghz and is 6MB ram. I don't want to go over £1000. Can anyone please recommend me a good PC that can handle streaming, or list the specs that a good PC should have, like 4 or 6 cores, RAM etc.

When I say my budget is £1000, that includes a monitor, mouse and keyboard etc (let me know if there are other accessories I would need). Is it possible to stream at this price?

Also, are intel® uhd graphics 630 anygood?

Thanks in advance to everyone for helping.

Avatar image for 04dcarraher
#2 Posted by 04dcarraher (23197 posts) -

Intel integrated graphics are not that good. Im guessing you want a prebuilt correct?

Here are a few options

1.

2.

Basically you want to look at something that have more than 8 cores/threads. 16gb of ram and decent gpu as well. This will allow you stream well while allowing you to play some pc games as well.

Avatar image for howmakewood
#3 Posted by Howmakewood (5932 posts) -

Those prebuilds running 2400mhz ram with ryzen, thats leaving a lot on the table

Avatar image for Random_Matt
#4 Posted by Random_Matt (4248 posts) -
@howmakewood said:

Those prebuilds running 2400mhz ram with ryzen, thats leaving a lot on the table

Indeed. OP build your own.

Avatar image for worlds_apart
#5 Edited by Worlds_Apart (184 posts) -

@04dcarraher said:

Intel integrated graphics are not that good. Im guessing you want a prebuilt correct?

Here are a few options

1.

2.

Basically you want to look at something that have more than 8 cores/threads. 16gb of ram and decent gpu as well. This will allow you stream well while allowing you to play some pc games as well.

Yes I want a prebuilt. Option one seems unbelievable. Why is it so cheap? I also want the PC for just streaming not gaming but if option 1 can handle both then why not. This is what I searched before reading your reply, can you please tell me how they compare:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CyberpowerPC-Wyvern-1060-Gaming-PC/dp/B079YWK948/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1550006226&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=CyberPower+Gamer+Xtreme+VR

@Random_Matt said:
@howmakewood said:

Those prebuilds running 2400mhz ram with ryzen, thats leaving a lot on the table

Indeed. OP build your own.

I would but I know nothing about computer internals. I could try but I just want less hassle.

Avatar image for thehig1
#6 Posted by thehig1 (7305 posts) -

@worlds_apart: his suggestion had better parts for the price.

If literally using it only for steaming with no gaming your budget doesn't need to be any were near £1000.

Avatar image for worlds_apart
#7 Posted by Worlds_Apart (184 posts) -

@howmakewood said:

Those prebuilds running 2400mhz ram with ryzen, thats leaving a lot on the table

Are you talking about the 1st link 04dcarraher provided? Isn't it good for the price?

Avatar image for worlds_apart
#8 Edited by Worlds_Apart (184 posts) -
@thehig1 said:

@worlds_apart: his suggestion had better parts for the price.

If literally using it only for steaming with no gaming your budget doesn't need to be any were near £1000.

sorry I didn't see this message. Thanks, £1000 was just a safe estimate so the new PC won't perform like my old one which was also a bit costly at the time.

Do you think I should go for his suggestion or find something cheaper?

Avatar image for thehig1
#9 Posted by thehig1 (7305 posts) -

@worlds_apart: if your not intending to game something around half that price would do

Avatar image for taaayb13
#11 Posted by taaayb13 (6 posts) -

Building your own definitely best option.

Avatar image for 04dcarraher
#12 Edited by 04dcarraher (23197 posts) -

@worlds_apart said:
@howmakewood said:

Those prebuilds running 2400mhz ram with ryzen, thats leaving a lot on the table

Are you talking about the 1st link 04dcarraher provided? Isn't it good for the price?

1st one I linked has 8gb 3000mhz ddr4(you can change it to 16gb) , while the 2nd has 16gb 2400mhz.

Since your primarily wanting just to stream and maybe dabble in pc gaming, the 2400mhz ddr4 isnt going to affect you to the point where its not usable or playable. For example with Ryzen 2700x with a GTX 1080ti *(top tier gpu of last year)* only seen 12% average performance reduction with Farcry 5 at 1080p between 2400mhz vs 3600mhz. For what your going to use it for with lower end gpu , those prebuilts are fine.

Avatar image for howmakewood
#13 Posted by Howmakewood (5932 posts) -
@04dcarraher said:
@worlds_apart said:
@howmakewood said:

Those prebuilds running 2400mhz ram with ryzen, thats leaving a lot on the table

Are you talking about the 1st link 04dcarraher provided? Isn't it good for the price?

1st one I linked has 8gb 3000mhz ddr4(you can change it to 16gb) , while the 2nd has 16gb 2400mhz.

Since your primarily wanting just to stream and maybe dabble in pc gaming, the 2400mhz ddr4 isnt going to affect you to the point where its not usable or playable. For example with Ryzen 2700x with a GTX 1080ti *(top tier gpu of last year)* only seen 12% average performance reduction with Farcry 5 at 1080p between 2400mhz vs 3600mhz. For what your going to use it for with lower end gpu , those prebuilts are fine.

Ye if it's strictly for streaming that's more than fine, playing+streaming might want the extra juice or video editing

Avatar image for worlds_apart
#14 Edited by Worlds_Apart (184 posts) -

@04dcarraher said:
@worlds_apart said:
@howmakewood said:

Those prebuilds running 2400mhz ram with ryzen, thats leaving a lot on the table

Are you talking about the 1st link 04dcarraher provided? Isn't it good for the price?

1st one I linked has 8gb 3000mhz ddr4(you can change it to 16gb) , while the 2nd has 16gb 2400mhz.

Since your primarily wanting just to stream and maybe dabble in pc gaming, the 2400mhz ddr4 isnt going to affect you to the point where its not usable or playable. For example with Ryzen 2700x with a GTX 1080ti *(top tier gpu of last year)* only seen 12% average performance reduction with Farcry 5 at 1080p between 2400mhz vs 3600mhz. For what your going to use it for with lower end gpu , those prebuilts are fine.

I didn't realise you could modify the specs. Does the PC come with an ethernet slot? Also to have Wifi do I need to select it or else it isn't included? Also a solid state drive is a hard drive isn't it? Do I need to include it or else it's not included? Is the cheapest option okay?

I know I said it will be just for streaming but now I'm tempted to also play games on it, we'll see:) Do you think I should upgrade it to 16GB RAM? Also down the line when the parts get old can the PC be upgraded with different brands. Like can the AMD CPU be replaced with an Intel CPU? And can the AMD graphics be replaced with Nvidia graphics?

Thanks for taking the time to help me.

Avatar image for howmakewood
#15 Edited by Howmakewood (5932 posts) -

@worlds_apart: 16gb of ram is nice to have, 8 might be running short here and there if you have browser and other stuff open at the same time. You can upgrade to a new cpu from AMD that has the same socket(am4) and they have said to be supporting it in the future, Intel wont work and they have a new socket like every new gen... GPU can be changed to what ever you wish. That build has RX 590 thats about the same power as xbox one x gpu, so quite good for 1080p and higher res are doable if you cut some settings down and settle for 30fps

Avatar image for worlds_apart
#16 Posted by Worlds_Apart (184 posts) -

@howmakewood: Ah I see! Thanks a lot, you've really made things a lot more clear to me.

Avatar image for worlds_apart
#17 Edited by Worlds_Apart (184 posts) -

Hey I decided to choose from the options of Cyberpowersystem.co.uk. I'm going for a custom build. With the PC I've selected it doesn't come with a Solid State Drive (SSD) but there is an option to include it for around £50 extra. Can someone please tell me what the role of an SSD is, I mean it already has an HDD so what's the purpose of an SSD? Can I ignore it? Or would it be wise to include it in the build? Also if yes, what size would you recommend? Thanks.

Avatar image for cavemangamer91
#18 Posted by cavemangamer91 (6 posts) -

I got a stormforce which is good! Its better to build youre own! I got mine for a good deal

Avatar image for Random_Matt
#19 Posted by Random_Matt (4248 posts) -
@worlds_apart said:

Hey I decided to choose from the options of Cyberpowersystem.co.uk. I'm going for a custom build. With the PC I've selected it doesn't come with a Solid State Drive (SSD) but there is an option to include it for around £50 extra. Can someone please tell me what the role of an SSD is, I mean it already has an HDD so what's the purpose of an SSD? Can I ignore it? Or would it be wise to include it in the build? Also if yes, what size would you recommend? Thanks.

A HDD is a HDD

A SSD is a SSD

The latter is supremely faster, option A: Get a small one for OS and a HDD for storage. Option B: Get the biggest SDD you can find.

Avatar image for worlds_apart
#20 Edited by Worlds_Apart (184 posts) -

@Random_Matt: @thehig1: @howmakewood: @04dcarraher:

Guys thanks for all your help. I'm still in a bit of a dilemma deciding whether I want to play games and stream at the same time on the PC. Even if I decide NOT to play games and stream together, with the next generation of consoles coming out maybe next year I want to buy a PC strong enough to handle streaming those next gen consoles at high quality without having to buy another PC when the new consoles come out.

I found a PC I like that will make me stream, but not stream and play games at the same time. Here are the specs:

CPU (Processor) : AMD Ryzen 5 1600 - 6-Core 3.20GHz, 3.6GHz Turbo - 16MB L3 Cache Processor

Memory (RAM) : 8GB (2x4GB) DDR4/3000mhz Dual Channel Memory

Graphics Card (GPU) : MSI GeForce® GT 1030 2GB - DX12®, DVI, HDMI

My question right now is this, can that graphics card stream games on twitch at 1080p resoulution? Or is 720p the only option? For £44 extra they have the MSI GeForce® GTX 1050 2GB - DX12®, HDMI, DVI, DP. Will this be a better option? Can it stream games on twitch at 1080p resoulution?

Thanks.

Avatar image for Random_Matt
#21 Posted by Random_Matt (4248 posts) -

Couldn't answer what you need for streaming, do not do it. Not entirely sure you need a beefy GPU to stream consoles games on twitch.

Avatar image for thehig1
#22 Edited by thehig1 (7305 posts) -

@worlds_apart: For Streaming consoles, you use a capture card which takes most of the load, meaning any system with a decent quad core or better will be fine for Streaming. I think so anyway, im haven't done much streaming myself but thats my understating of it.

The PC you have listed only needs a GPU adding it to it to make it a very capable gaming PC anyway.

Avatar image for worlds_apart
#23 Posted by Worlds_Apart (184 posts) -

@thehig1 said:

@worlds_apart: For Streaming consoles, you use a capture card which takes most of the load, meaning any system with a decent quad core or better will be fine for Streaming. I think so anyway, im haven't done much streaming myself but thats my understating of it.

The PC you have listed only needs a GPU adding it to it to make it a very capable gaming PC anyway.

Which GPU would you recommend, the one I listed or the upgrade MSI GeForce® GTX 1050 2GB - DX12®, HDMI, DVI, DP ?

Avatar image for thehig1
#24 Posted by thehig1 (7305 posts) -

@worlds_apart: depends, if you want to use the GPU for gaming then you need something more powerfull, with that CPU a 1050 is a bit of a waste.

If your only streaming then its fine, even a 1030 would be fine as the capture card does the leg work

As for gpu to recommend if you want to game, something quite high end.

I'd say one of the RTX cards, even the RTX 2060 would be fine if you dont want to keep spending under control.

Avatar image for worlds_apart
#25 Posted by Worlds_Apart (184 posts) -

@thehig1 said:

@worlds_apart: depends, if you want to use the GPU for gaming then you need something more powerfull, with that CPU a 1050 is a bit of a waste.

If your only streaming then its fine, even a 1030 would be fine as the capture card does the leg work

As for gpu to recommend if you want to game, something quite high end.

I'd say one of the RTX cards, even the RTX 2060 would be fine if you dont want to keep spending under control.

Please can you explain what you mean by "with that CPU a 1050 is a bit of a waste." Do you mean the CPU is not powerful enough? especially for gaming?

Okay I think I am not going to game + stream at the same time. I will use it for mostly streaming but on odd occasions I might play some older games but not stream them while playing. Older games like The Witcher 1, Deux Ex, Half Life etc. Will the 1030 GPU be fine for this? or will it also be a waste because of the weak CPU?

Thanks again.

Avatar image for thehig1
#26 Posted by thehig1 (7305 posts) -

@worlds_apart: the CPU isnt weak, thats why it would be a waste to put a 1050 with it

Its a good CPU.

Avatar image for kriggy
#27 Posted by kriggy (1181 posts) -

MSI GeForce® GTX 1050 2GB is not worth its price. If you want a proper gaming GPU (Graphics Card) you'll need at the very least 4 GB RAM on the card. You shouldn't settle for anything less than a MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Gaming X in my opinion.

Avatar image for worlds_apart
#28 Edited by Worlds_Apart (184 posts) -

@04dcarraher: @howmakewood: @Random_Matt: @kriggy: @thehig1:

I just want to thank you guys for all your help and advice. One last thing, I promise, no more questions after this! When you build your PCs do you include an optical drive? By optical I mean DVD drive or Blu-Ray drive. And if you do which one out of DVD or Blu-Ray do you include in your build?

I ask this because to install drivers for your PC don't you need a DVD drive? and to buy games physically don't you need a Blu-Ray drive? or DVD drive for older games?

Which optical drive do you include in your build?

Thanks all.

Avatar image for Random_Matt
#29 Posted by Random_Matt (4248 posts) -
@worlds_apart said:

@04dcarraher: @howmakewood: @Random_Matt: @kriggy: @thehig1:

I just want to thank you guys for all your help and advice. One last thing, I promise, no more questions after this! When you build your PCs do you include an optical drive? By optical I mean DVD drive or Blu-Ray drive. And if you do which one out of DVD or Blu-Ray do you include in your build?

I ask this because to install drivers for your PC don't you need a DVD drive? and to buy games physically don't you need a Blu-Ray drive? or DVD drive for older games?

Which optical drive do you include in your build?

Thanks all.

DVD rom for old disks lying around. Don't need one, all drivers are online. Games do not come physical anymore.