I want to run Vista and Mac OS X without buying an over priced mac. Suggestions?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

will1382

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 will1382
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
I have been using both a mac and a PC for the last 3 years. I am looking to invest into a higher end computer(~$2-3K) that can run the Mac os and vista using mac's boot camp, but the packaged mac products are clearly overpriced. What is a good set of specs that I could put together to achieve the same thing? Is an intel quad-core worth? I want to be able to run TF2 and Bioshock on vista, and do HD video editing on the mac os. I am also looking for high rpm hard-drives to hold all my media. The 2-3K I have is for everything, but a monitor. Any experts out there have a good setup in mind?
musclesforcier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 musclesforcier
Member since 2004 • 2894 Posts
If you want OS X you pretty much have to get the computer from apple. If you simply build a computer and instal vista and os x you will have a very hard time getting it to work.
will1382

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 will1382
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
What problems would I have? Mac just uses intel hardware inside their pretty little cases. Would there be compatibility issues? I may be wrong, but the boot camp software is supposed to remedy the problems with duel boot.
SinfulPotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SinfulPotato
Member since 2005 • 1381 Posts
While it can be done, running a MAC OS on normal hardware is something Apple goes nuts over. If they let you run their OS on the same hardware you would buy from a place like NEWEGG, they would lose the HUGE profit they make on selling you pure crap and calling it top of the line with their OS installed.
Baselerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#5 Baselerd
Member since 2003 • 5104 Posts

If you want to use OSX on a custom made machine. Just use google. Contrary to popular belief, it is not illegal to do this. It is against apple's End User License Agreement. However, that has almost no legal precedence, it is just an "agreement" between Apple and the consumer. It is totally possibly to make an OSX machine for 1/3 the cost at apple's store with better specs.

codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#7 codezer0
Member since 2004 • 15898 Posts
While it can be done, running a MAC OS on normal hardware is something Apple goes nuts over. If they let you run their OS on the same hardware you would buy from a place like NEWEGG, they would lose the HUGE profit they make on selling you pure crap and calling it top of the line with their OS installed.SinfulPotato
Apple does their own R&D. Dell, HP, et al just slap **** together, and Newegg sells parts and prebuilt systems. Apple has to recoup the cost of R&D at some point. I don't quite follow your (flawed) logic.
achilles614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 achilles614
Member since 2005 • 5310 Posts
:| People like you couldn't even appreciate the good about OS X anyway. Get a (real) Mac or quit wasting our **** time. And learn how to say it properly. Apple is a company that sells Macintosh computers, which run OS X (pronounced "Oh-ess ten"). And for $3k, you can get a Mac Pro with an 8800GT; you could also get a 24" iMac which would come with the monitor and now can be equipped with an 8800GS. So why the **** are you complaining? Or are you just whining for the sake of starting up **** ?codezer0
He just wants to use OS X on a comp that isn't incredibly overpriced for the hardware calm down.
codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 codezer0
He just wants to use OS X on a comp that isn't incredibly overpriced for the hardware calm down.
achilles614
Speaking from personal experience, I can tell you that even if you do have hardware that were to perfectly match specs-wise what Apple puts in their intel Macs now, you are still not going to have that OS X level of "true plug and play" that you would get with a real Mac. And given that most of the people that are working to make it possible to run OS X on a non-Apple computer are amateurs doing this on their own free time, driver quality for what is there isn't going to be that good. Or in the case of my 680i, they can't be bothered to make a working driver. Even with the latest builds with the largest driver archives available, it just doesn't have nearly the level of "it just works" you expect with a real Mac. About the easiest way that you'll be able to get a system that will run OS X that's not made by Apple is if you resign to use intel everything. Intel motherboard, cpu, audio and video. And with an intel GMA, you won't be doing much gaming at all. As stated earlier, Apple does their own R&D. R&D is VERY **** EXPENSIVE. Mercedez-Benz spends on the order of $1M USD a day in R&D for their cars. You honestly don't expect them to swallow that cost and sell their cars at Kia prices, do you? :lol:
achilles614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 achilles614
Member since 2005 • 5310 Posts

[QUOTE="achilles614"]He just wants to use OS X on a comp that isn't incredibly overpriced for the hardware calm down.
codezer0
Speaking from personal experience, I can tell you that even if you do have hardware that were to perfectly match specs-wise what Apple puts in their intel Macs now, you are still not going to have that OS X level of "true plug and play" that you would get with a real Mac. And given that most of the people that are working to make it possible to run OS X on a non-Apple computer are amateurs doing this on their own free time, driver quality for what is there isn't going to be that good. Or in the case of my 680i, they can't be bothered to make a working driver. Even with the latest builds with the largest driver archives available, it just doesn't have nearly the level of "it just works" you expect with a real Mac. About the easiest way that you'll be able to get a system that will run OS X that's not made by Apple is if you resign to use intel everything. Intel motherboard, cpu, audio and video. And with an intel GMA, you won't be doing much gaming at all. As stated earlier, Apple does their own R&D. R&D is VERY **** EXPENSIVE. Mercedez-Benz spends on the order of $1M USD a day in R&D for their cars. You honestly don't expect them to swallow that cost and sell their cars at Kia prices, do you? :lol:

Ok I already knew that, but thanks. I don't care how much they spend on R&D, it's still flipping too expensive.

@sinful-Totally not needed, grow up dude.

Baselerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Baselerd

[QUOTE="SinfulPotato"]While it can be done, running a MAC OS on normal hardware is something Apple goes nuts over. If they let you run their OS on the same hardware you would buy from a place like NEWEGG, they would lose the HUGE profit they make on selling you pure crap and calling it top of the line with their OS installed.codezer0
Apple does their own R&D. Dell, HP, et al just slap **** together, and Newegg sells parts and prebuilt systems. Apple has to recoup the cost of R&D at some point. I don't quite follow your (flawed) logic.

HP and DELL have a crapload of R&D. They make tons of proprietary devices (moreso HP than DELL). But they make mp3 players (DELL DJ anyone?), monitors, printers, scanners, calculators, and HP makes a bunch of lab-scale instrumentation like data-acquisition PCI-add in boards.

Apple makes computers no differently than DELL or HP, except for the fact that they write their own operating system. Even after this fact, from a consumer standpoint it would seem rather stupid to buy a $2400 pc with a Core 2 Duo at 3.1Ghz (800Mhz fsb), 2GB RAM, and an 8800GS. Those components are worth like $450. Add in a mediocre proprietary mobo and an average quality 24" monitor and it doesn't add up to $2400.

Chill out. If this user believes that he wants OSX on an affordable hardware setup, then let him be. The only difference between his (fake) mac and a (real) mac is that his will have cost half as much as the "real mac".

codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 codezer0
And he won't be able to update it as readily as a real Mac, or be able to have everything "just work" as a real Mac. You're delusional if you think that current OSx86 efforts are mature enough to where it is that simple. I too felt that way at one point, until I'd tried it. Then reality check hit pretty damned hard, but I'd had to learn to accept it. You are NOT going to get the experience of a Mac OS the way it is meant to be on a non-Apple made computer. And the only way to get "close enough" on the drivers front is if you go intel only for hardware, but then you're doing no better than the baseline Macbook or Mac Mini. :| And given what is needed to be done to even allow these installs to work, it is definitely very gray area on the legal front. At best, you're screwing with Apple's EULA. At worst, Apple could sue these people for DMCA violation because some of these efforts go as far as modifying kernel code. Why else do you think that no OSx86 build out there can just get and install software updates from Apple? There's certainly some thorough software modding going on. The best advice I can give the TC is if you want a Mac, get a real Mac. Either get a cheapo entry-level one, or consider buying a refurb or used one. The other day I saw a refurb MBP on Apple's website for $1500 - a good chunk of $$$ saved from the standard entry-level price. You don't get any further discounts on the refurbs (like student discount), but the price cut is usually a lot better than what you could have gotten, they come with a fresh, full warranty, and are still eligible for AppleCare, to extend the warranty to a good three years for hardware and phone support.
Baselerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Baselerd

"It just works"... my friend has a MacBook Pro, it's broken twice. I will say that Apple did fix the problem the first time for free, not the second time. Yes, apple's os x is very streamlined... it's not a terrible os by any means. And yes, modding os x to run on non-apple machines isn't very easy, but it's no harder than setting up a custom Linux installation (which isn't that hard for computer savvy people).

Personally, I would just install ubuntu instead. With cairodock and compiz-fusion, you can have an identical flashy interface to osx (extrrrrrrreeeeeemely customizeable too.) You can also have all the benefits of linux, especially the OPEN PLATFORM part. There is soooo much free software for linux. I would never consider using OSX anyway.

IQT786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 IQT786
Member since 2005 • 2604 Posts
codezer0 is firkin unbelievable lol you are one serous mac fan :o
Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
To be fair, the 24" monitor they use is still pretty badass. IIRC they basically yank LG-Phillips S-IPS panels for nearly everything they use. That said, I'd agree that R&D is not the reason they charge a lot. It's because they can. It preserves their 'image,' amongst other things. HP has long been famous for the amount of cash they pour into R&D and have spend the last two decades being one of the primary patent holders in the field, but their PC's and general hardware are always pretty mainstream when it comes to pricing. edit: and for what you're asking, you probably really want to get a real mac :P
adam92682

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 adam92682
Member since 2002 • 2001 Posts

here is a company thats sells PCs running Mac os for as low as $399

http://www.psystar.com/open_computer_the_smart_alternative_to_an_apple.html

better buy one quick before apple takes them down.

sammysalsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 sammysalsa
Member since 2004 • 1832 Posts

To be fair, the 24" monitor they use is still pretty badass. IIRC they basically yank LG-Phillips S-IPS panels for nearly everything they use. That said, I'd agree that R&D is not the reason they charge a lot. It's because they can. It preserves their 'image,' amongst other things. HP has long been famous for the amount of cash they pour into R&D and have spend the last two decades being one of the primary patent holders in the field, but their PC's and general hardware are always pretty mainstream when it comes to pricing. edit: and for what you're asking, you probably really want to get a real mac :PMakari

i would have to disagree, their panels are pretty lackluster

like their home cinema display with 8ms, low contrast and underwhelming selection of inputs.

by no means is it bad but is defintely subpar when compared to other LCD's that are also cheaper and offer more

luamhtrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 luamhtrad
Member since 2003 • 1997 Posts

This is the angriest, most entertaining thread I have read in a while. If you're not a fan of something, you're still a fan of nothing. :lol:

adam92682

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 adam92682
Member since 2002 • 2001 Posts
didnt anyone check out my link?
AirGuitarist87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 AirGuitarist87
Member since 2006 • 9499 Posts

Either get a cheapo entry-level one, or consider buying a refurb or used one. codezer0

Sorry, but when "cheapo entry level" is £400 I draw the line.

And to the TC I'd suggest either using Linux in dual boot, or what adam92682 suggested, although you wouldn't be getting as powerful machine if you were to build it yourself.

Madsucktion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Madsucktion
Member since 2003 • 2079 Posts

So like, I hate to try and throw this thread back on track and all, but what the heck is the problem with running Mac software on any rig? A computer is just a bunch of parts that work together, and as long as those parts are compatable with OS X and XP / Vista I don't see a problem. And if that is true, Newegg would solve all his problems. Alas, I don't know compy specs all that well, and don't know what parts to buy at all.

And if you all are even woried about this guy not having the "Plug and Play" aspect of Mac's by building one, remember for just a second that he is actually building his own comp in the first place. In my experience, anyone that builds their own rig ususaly dosen't need the "It Just Works" crap at all, they already know how to troubleshoot their own problems.

AirGuitarist87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 AirGuitarist87
Member since 2006 • 9499 Posts

So like, I hate to try and throw this thread back on track and all, but what the heck is the problem with running Mac software on any rig? A computer is just a bunch of parts that work together, and as long as those parts are compatable with OS X and XP / Vista I don't see a problem. And if that is true, Newegg would solve all his problems. Alas, I don't know compy specs all that well, and don't know what parts to buy at all.

And if you all are even woried about this guy not having the "Plug and Play" aspect of Mac's by building one, remember for just a second that he is actually building his own comp in the first place. In my experience, anyone that builds their own rig ususaly dosen't need the "It Just Works" crap at all, they already know how to troubleshoot their own problems.

Madsucktion

The problem would be getting a lot of drivers or just general hardware incompatibility running a Mac OS with custom parts. If you mean Mac programs on a Windows OS then they're very reluctant to doing that. I've been holding out for GarageBand for years.

kodex1717

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 kodex1717
Member since 2005 • 5925 Posts

didnt anyone check out my link?adam92682

It's vaporware, so I wouldn't advise anyone to give out their credit card information.

There's no silver bullet in this situation. Either learn to stomach dropping $2500 on a PC or use Windows.

Rhamsus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Rhamsus
Member since 2007 • 1078 Posts
lol you guys are too funny, also this hersay, blantant misinformation, and nonsense has entertained me much this morning. ill have to upload a shot of my buddies POS dell running OSX. its really quite easy to do.
kodex1717

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 kodex1717
Member since 2005 • 5925 Posts
Chances are your friend's Dell runs an Intel processor, Intel chipset, and an Intel media accelerator.
Rhamsus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Rhamsus
Member since 2007 • 1078 Posts

Chances are your friend's Dell runs an Intel processor, Intel chipset, and an Intel media accelerator.kodex1717

in fact it does, which makes the whole process perfectly simple for anyone wanting to do this.

Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
[QUOTE="sammysalsa"]i would have to disagree, their panels are pretty lackluster like their home cinema display with 8ms, low contrast and underwhelming selection of inputs. by no means is it bad but is defintely subpar when compared to other LCD's that are also cheaper and offer more

Compared to WHAT other superior LCDs, exactly? They've been using generally the high-quality IPS panels, so... yeah. If you're going to try to say TN panels are better than IPS, go right ahead and try. The specs are 'low' because Apple's actually honest about them. Most LCD's don't do any higher than 700-800:1 when you actually test it in normal working conditions, and they're quoting a GtG response time which is usually higher anyway.