i want better pc audio please advise

This topic is locked from further discussion.

merigoldsass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 merigoldsass
Member since 2011 • 575 Posts

i have logitech z906 speakers  however i want to step up pc audio in the following department. i also haveYamaha NS-SP1800BL 5.1-Channel Home Theater Speaker Systemthat I have not used yet.  I am also covered in the headphone department as i have sennheiser hd598, klipsch x10i, beyerdynamic dt 880, and a few other high end headphones.

1) i have 5.1 yamaha speakers that i want to use with a receiver with a pc. can anyone recommend a good 7.1 receiver? if the receiver has dolby headphone mode that would be good as well. i would like to spend under $300.  i have amazon prime and live in FL  (free shipping no tax hopefully i can stay under $300 or $350 at the most).  

1.5) I might buy 2 speakers for 7.1 sound, which speaskers would be good with the yamahas and do most pc games support 7.1 sound or hopw do you know if the game does.

2) from what i have been told is that hdmi will carry over your 1080p and full surround sound in one cable (gives better sound than optical or coaxial cables). here is my problem (a good problem) i use  dvi-d cable out of my gtx 680 for 2560 x 1600 gaming, with that set up what should i be connecting the pc to a receiver with for the the best sound?   should i go with optical, coaxial, can hdmi only do audio if you want, something else........?  sorry extremely confused.

3) would a sound card benefit me in my situation of wanting to use a receiver or is it useless?  what is a good sound card if i should get one (i used to use a claro plus card but it does not fit in my new motherboard. )

4) if i want excellent headphone sound for gaming and possibly videos, should i plug into the reciever, the pc, or buy a separate amp that plugs into the pc, or use a separate amp that plugs into the receiver?

thanks for your help

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 NVIDIATI
Member since 2010 • 8463 Posts

The most important question is, how much money are you willing to spend on everything? Reciever, headphones, etc.

merigoldsass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 merigoldsass

The most important question is, how much money are you willing to spend on everything? Reciever, headphones, etc.

NVIDIATI

updated my post with what i want to spend. around $300 for receiver, and maybe another $100 at most for two more speakers.

RevanBITW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 RevanBITW
Member since 2013 • 739 Posts
All I can tell you about this is if you wanna use surround sound, you'll need a sound card.
merigoldsass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 merigoldsass

All I can tell you about this is if you wanna use surround sound, you'll need a sound card.RevanBITW
my asus z77 sabertooth motherboard has optical on it,, would the optical on a sound card truly give me notciably better surround sound?

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 NVIDIATI
Member since 2010 • 8463 Posts

Receiver options:

$229 - Onkyo TX-NR515 7.2-Channel Network A/V Receiver

$299 - Onkyo TX-NR616 7.2-Channel THX Certified Network A/V Receiver

What is the exact model of the Yamaha speakers?

merigoldsass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 merigoldsass

Receiver options:

NVIDIATI

Yamaha NS-SP1800BL 5.1-Channel Home Theater Speaker System 

DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts

[QUOTE="NVIDIATI"]

Receiver options:

merigoldsass

Yamaha NS-SP1800BL 5.1-Channel Home Theater Speaker System 

You will need to upgrade the speakers and sub if you want truly better sound quality.  Since your budget is so low do it piece by piece I would start with the center and fronts as this is what will affect sound quality the most especially movies where only the front 2 channels and sub matter and for gaming and movies these 3 speakers will be the front of your soundstage so you need to have all good speakers to get a convincing soundstage it would sound wierd getting some nice fronts and still using the small center channel from your current yamaha 5.1 set If you can't afford it then wait till you have enough money to do so.

I would reccomend these Pioneer BS22 Speakers for fronts and the matching center go with the cheaper reciever NVIDIATI linked and use the rest towards these speakers then you can get a sub later down the line I would reccomend Dayton SUB1200 then you can upgrade the rear speakers if you want to or maybe you can get some some new front and center and use the Pioneer BS22 as surrounds and possibly use the old pioneer center channel for a 6.1 setup its up to you how far you take this audio setup just giving my suggestions.

Blistrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Blistrax
Member since 2008 • 1071 Posts

You do not need a sound card. Run two HDMI cables from the 680, one from the HDMI port and another from the DVI-D port with an HDMI adapter. Send one to the monitor and the other to the AVR for sound. In Nvidia Control Panel, set up multiple displays with the monitor as focus and primary, and put the AVR off to one corner. The only problem is that the mouse will slip off onto the AVR sometimes, and you have to fiddle it back onto the screen. Pain in the A, but you get full HD sound in PCM for everything from games to Blu-ray. Sell that Logitech crap. Plug the headphones into the AVR for the best sound, but if you have a sound card with Dolby Headphone, you might want to use that, instead.

You cannot get HD sound through optical or RCA, and you don't need 7.1. That's overkill, and not much uses it. Throw the money at speakers. Once you get HDMI audio from the 680 to the AVR, you're done except for upgrading the speakers. You would be amazed how much better expensive speakers sound. Save up, but you should be pretty happy with the Yamahas through an AVR.

merigoldsass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 merigoldsass

You do not need a sound card. Run two HDMI cables from the 680, one from the HDMI port and another from the DVI-D port with an HDMI adapter. Send one to the monitor and the other to the AVR for sound. In Nvidia Control Panel, set up multiple displays with the monitor as focus and primary, and put the AVR off to one corner. The only problem is that the mouse will slip off onto the AVR sometimes, and you have to fiddle it back onto the screen. Pain in the A, but you get full HD sound in PCM for everything from games to Blu-ray. Sell that Logitech crap. Plug the headphones into the AVR for the best sound, but if you have a sound card with Dolby Headphone, you might want to use that, instead.

You cannot get HD sound through optical or RCA, and you don't need 7.1. That's overkill, and not much uses it. Throw the money at speakers. Once you get HDMI audio from the 680 to the AVR, you're done except for upgrading the speakers. You would be amazed how much better expensive speakers sound. Save up, but you should be pretty happy with the Yamahas through an AVR.

Blistrax

will doing what you said allow for 2560 X 1600 gaming?

Blistrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Blistrax

will doing what you said allow for 2560 X 1600 gaming?merigoldsass

Yes. I didn't notice before that your HDMI port is open. Use that for the AVR. You will have to make it the default audio device in Windows, too, of course.

merigoldsass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 merigoldsass

[QUOTE="merigoldsass"]

will doing what you said allow for 2560 X 1600 gaming?Blistrax

Yes. I didn't notice before that your HDMI port is open. Use that for the AVR. You will have to make it the default audio device in Windows, too, of course.

i spoke to PNY support about my gtx 680 sli setup. they said I can not use DVI-D at 2560 X 1600 (requirement for me) for video along with the spare hdmi ports for only audio. looks like for gaming i will have to use optical to the receiver and for 1080p movie viewing i can use one hdmi cable for the video and the audio.

JimmyJumpy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#13 JimmyJumpy
Member since 2008 • 2554 Posts

...()...get a sub later down the line I would reccomend Dayton SUB1200 ...()...

DJ_Headshot

Had contact with Parts Express over a Dayton 1200 and can recommend that shop if only for their helpfulness and friendliness.  Ordered a Dayton 1200 from a European Dayton distributor (Intertechnik in Kerpen, Germany) --to cut down on the shipping costs to Belgium-- and it's underway...

Blistrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Blistrax

[QUOTE="Blistrax"]

[QUOTE="merigoldsass"]

will doing what you said allow for 2560 X 1600 gaming?merigoldsass

i spoke to PNY support about my gtx 680 sli setup. they said I can not use DVI-D at 2560 X 1600 (requirement for me) for video along with the spare hdmi ports for only audio. looks like for gaming i will have to use optical to the receiver and for 1080p movie viewing i can use one hdmi cable for the video and the audio.

Did you try it? I'm doing it right now as I type with a GTX 590. Are you going to believe me or a Pakistani high-school dropout with a 6-day training course and a flip book?

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

You won't get surround through optical unless you are using dolby digital live or DTS connect to compress the signal.

ProjectPat187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 ProjectPat187
Member since 2005 • 2178 Posts

[QUOTE="RevanBITW"]All I can tell you about this is if you wanna use surround sound, you'll need a sound card.merigoldsass

would the optical on a sound card truly give me notciably better surround sound?

I would be night and day.
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 kraken2109
[QUOTE="merigoldsass"]

[QUOTE="RevanBITW"]All I can tell you about this is if you wanna use surround sound, you'll need a sound card.ProjectPat187

would the optical on a sound card truly give me notciably better surround sound?

I would be night and day.

You won't get surround from optical unless you're compressing it...
merigoldsass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 merigoldsass

[QUOTE="merigoldsass"]

[QUOTE="Blistrax"]

Blistrax

Did you try it? I'm doing it right now as I type with a GTX 590. Are you going to believe me or a Pakistani high-school dropout with a 6-day training course and a flip book?

don't have receiver yet, but i will try hdmi for sound only like you said. the support guy i am sure sounded american however he did not sound like he knew much of what he is talking about.   so just to confirm, with your 590 you are running sound with hdmi to a receiver for surround sound and a dvi-d cable for 2560 X 1600 for gaming (or something else above 1080p)?

merigoldsass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 merigoldsass

You won't get surround through optical unless you are using dolby digital live or DTS connect to compress the signal.

kraken2109

my logitech speakers has dolby digital and dts, and the receiver i will buy soon i am sure will have those features.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 kraken2109

[QUOTE="kraken2109"]

merigoldsass

my logitech speakers has dolby digital and dts, and the receiver i will buy soon i am sure will have those features.

It doesn't matter what the receiver has, the signal has to be compressed to send it down the cable to the receiver so the soundcard itself needs either dolby digital live or DTS connect. It's the bandwidth limitation of optical toslink cables.