I think I owe the mouse/keyboard crowd a concession.

Avatar image for burntbyhellfire
#1 Posted by burntbyhellfire (451 posts) -

So, about a week in with the first ever gaming mouse I've owned, and using it for the past week I started playing Doom (2016) and got about 2 minutes in with its full controller support before I put my controller down and went back to a keyboard and mouse.. it only took me ONE week with a proper gaming mouse to prefer it over 30 years with a controller.

I will however not concede the mouse/keyboard vs controller argument entirely. Keyboard is still an awful, awful interface for gaming, and the thumbstick is certainly way better for movement. I still say get yourself a PS3 navigation controller, or the left side of a joycon with a mouse in the other hand is superior to both mouse and keyboard, and controller alone.

#2 Edited by br0kenrabbit (16128 posts) -

Movement direction is via mouse, keyboard is only used for vectoring (flat movement). Attenuation is via mouse.

Besides the WASD, I can access 16 keys with my left hand without looking. Not counting Caps Lock.

The muscle memory comes with practice, but once its there its all intuitive.

#3 Posted by burntbyhellfire (451 posts) -

it doesnt matter, it'll never be as smooth or as intuitive as using a thumbstick for movement, and multiple fingers already on your most used buttons.. and in FPS games you're typically not using that many functions anyway... needing 16 on a keyboard plus more on a mouse, a game like arma 3 if you will, is just sloppy in its configuration

#4 Posted by dxmcat (2702 posts) -

Don't even need to go as far as Arma

PUBG clearly benefits from having a keyboard over a controller because of all the non-movement functions you can do on a kb.

I'll use a stick + keyboard for playing elite as well, cause again, WAY too many functions to pull off quickly with a controller. Same idea with Star Citizen (Until I get a hotas with a billion buttons) Cheap throttles just offer nothing.

Ill use a controller for skate/snow boarding, racing, sure. And silly games like Overcooked or platformers.

Oh I also have 12 btn functions on my mouse so again.........yea. Thats as much as an entire controller, on one hand.

#5 Edited by burntbyhellfire (451 posts) -

@dxmcat said:

PUBG clearly benefits from having a keyboard over a controller because of all the non-movement functions you can do on a kb.

I'll use a stick + keyboard for playing elite as well, cause again, WAY too many functions to pull off quickly with a controller. Same idea with Star Citizen (Until I get a hotas with a billion buttons) Cheap throttles just offer nothing.

Ill use a controller for skate/snow boarding, racing, sure. And silly games like Overcooked or platformers.

Oh I also have 12 btn functions on my mouse so again.........yea. Thats as much as an entire controller, on one hand.

i just looked at pubg controls.. many of them are irrelevant to actual gameplay

#6 Posted by dxmcat (2702 posts) -
@burntbyhellfire said:
@dxmcat said:

i just looked at pubg controls.. many of them are irrelevant to actual gameplay

Peeks, Map, health items, zero'ing distance, yea ok. sorry gameplay must be too complex for you.

#7 Posted by burntbyhellfire (451 posts) -

if zeroing a gun in this game works as it does in real life, and trajectories are even remotely close, then zeroing on the fly is irrelevant, and a stupid mechanic if its actually in the game

#8 Edited by br0kenrabbit (16128 posts) -

@burntbyhellfire said:

it doesnt matter, it'll never be as smooth or as intuitive as using a thumbstick for movement, and multiple fingers already on your most used buttons.. and in FPS games you're typically not using that many functions anyway... needing 16 on a keyboard plus more on a mouse, a game like arma 3 if you will, is just sloppy in its configuration

I don't find using a thumbstick for movement intuitive at all. Especially since pushing sideways strafes instead of turning. You essentially have to coordinate fine movement with both sticks for precision. On the PC, precision is with the mouse, keyboard hand just has to be fast and know which button is which. Far more intuitive to have all fine control in one hand instead of two thumbs.

And all those buttons save you from ever having to use the menus. I don't scroll through weapons in FPS games, for instance, I just press the associate key. A lot of games I even remove the HUD entirely...don't need it.

#9 Edited by xantufrog (11608 posts) -

I dont understand control scheme warriors. Who gives a damn what someone else is more comfortable gaming on? Personally, I can't stand using controllers for really anything other than platformers and racing games. Of course I'm not going to use one for FPS, RTS, TBS, point and click, RPGs, etc given a choice. But I put up with it when I have one of those game types on console. It's fine, my world keeps spinning, and (usually) the game is still plenty fun.

I don't sit up at night because you like it a different way... we should all just be gaming and having fun.

#10 Posted by npiet1 (2463 posts) -

K+M is easy compared to controller, which is why I hate the idea of cross-play between console and PC. I do prefer the controller only because it's more comfortable, even when I had my gaming keyboard like 10 years ago.