I need some help with buying a gaming laptop!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

rubber-chicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 rubber-chicken
Member since 2009 • 2081 Posts

I'm guessing this kind of thread has came up a million times before... sorry! I want to buy a gaming laptop as opposed to a desktop simply for the sake of portability and a smaller size. I originally wanted to get a PS4, but I was thinking it would be more wise to get a gaming laptop, as most of the games I'd be interested in are multiplat, and I can use my laptop as a regular computer (2 birds with one stone, duh!).

Now the problem is that I have absolutely no experience with gaming PCs. I don't know what the different terms mean, I don't know anything about video cards, CPU, etc... what I'd like to know from you guys is, what's an affordable laptop that can run games that also play on PS4 and Xbox One? I checked out Alienware, and dang it's expensive. Are there any laptops under $1000 that you guys can recommend?

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

Here you go $999

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834313583

CWEBB04z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 CWEBB04z
Member since 2006 • 4879 Posts

http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Battalion-101-W650SR-Gaming-Laptop

Here's a good one.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

Just looking quickly around the internet and tryingt o find the best one for a $1000, I'd say go with the one 04dcarraher linked too.There is literally nothing else in that price range with duel GPU set up. Nothing else competes in the price range to that machine from what I'm gathering, so if your down for a 15.5 inch screen it's the perfect one. The Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p really does seem to be the best bet for your price range it destroys what CWEBB04z posted. You could go under $1000 but you'd instantly drop a massive amount of performance for what a couple of hours pay? Computers are an investment so a couple of extra bucks isn't going to hurt in the long run. I'd say go with the Lenovo ideaPad Y510p as you wont get anything better then what it offers you because at that price range Duel gt750's is a fucking steal.

560ti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By 560ti
Member since 2013 • 199 Posts

The first laptop posted is solid (SLI 750M will offer almost identical performance to a GTX 770M). The desktop equivalent of the 770M is a GTX 650ti boost SC which isn't bad for 1080p

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

@rubber-chicken: I am in the same boat as you buddy.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@04dcarraher said:

Here you go $999

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834313583

I found something a bit better, same module, a bit different - 50$ cheaper with better CPU

Link

rubber-chicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 rubber-chicken

Would you guys say that the Lenovo Y510p is as powerful as the Xbox One or PS4? I'd want to use it as an alternative to getting a PS4. The great thing is that I can just connect my laptop to my HDMI and play it on my TV, that's one big reason why I'd like to get a gaming laptop.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator

@rubber-chicken said:

Would you guys say that the Lenovo Y510p is as powerful as the Xbox One or PS4? I'd want to use it as an alternative to getting a PS4. The great thing is that I can just connect my laptop to my HDMI and play it on my TV, that's one big reason why I'd like to get a gaming laptop.

I don't think it's going to be very comfortable playing on sofa while watching big TV screen from a far.

Unless you're planning to connect Xbox 360 Wireless to that laptop.

560ti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 560ti

@rubber-chicken said:

Its a little faster than both (in terms of CPU and GPU).

Normally I would say easily but the laptop numbers they use for GPU don't match that of a desktop (For example a GT 770M which is identical to the 750M SLI is tad faster than the consoles GPU where a desktop GTX 770 is twice as fast as the consoles GPU).

Also the laptop CPU's are usually clocked a lot lower than the desktop counterparts which is why there isn't a huge gap from the consoles to a desktop (a desktop with an i7 and a GTX 770 would make the consoles look like a joke but a laptop with an i7 and a 770M equivalent is only able to outperform it by a little bit).

rubber-chicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By rubber-chicken

@PredatorRules: Yeah, I'd definitely connect a 360 wireless or something to the laptop, then it would be as if I'm playing a PS4 on my TV. Isn't that a great idea? That way I can play my PC games on my TV!

rubber-chicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By rubber-chicken

@560ti: Thanks for your reply! I honestly didn't understand anything you said lol, I truly have zero experience with computer hardware, that just looked like a bunch of letters and numbers to me. Can you re-phrase what you said for dummies? :)

And I'd also like to add... I probably won't care for playing new gen games in "ultra," I saw some video comparisons between low settings and ultra settings, and couldn't tell much of a graphical difference worth losing framerate for.

My other question is... Would there be any cons to playing games from a gaming laptop on my TV with an HDMI? Or would it be exactly as if I was playing on an Xbox One/PS4?

560ti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 560ti

@rubber-chicken said:

@560ti: Thanks for your reply! I honestly didn't understand anything you said lol, I truly have zero experience with computer hardware, that just looked like a bunch of letters and numbers to me. Can you re-phrase what you said for dummies? :)

I'm basically saying that laptop numbers/names for laptops (i7 and 770M) do not match the performance of the desktop numbers/names (i7 desktop and GTX 770).

The 770M GPU of a laptop does not performance like a desktop GTX 770 (so a 770M on a laptop is not going to equal the performance of a desktop GTX 770 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125463 ).

As a result the 770M (laptop GPU) is a little faster than the consoles GPU where a desktop GTX 770 (one I linked) is about 2x as fast.

Its a good laptop for the price overall

rubber-chicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 rubber-chicken

@560ti: That made a lot more sense, thanks so much. Do you think that something like the Lenovo Y510p would be suitable to play new gen games on? (i.e. games that are out for PS4) ...Do you think this laptop will run Elder Scrolls Online smoothly? High or low settings?

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator

@rubber-chicken said:

@PredatorRules: Yeah, I'd definitely connect a 360 wireless or something to the laptop, then it would be as if I'm playing a PS4 on my TV. Isn't that a great idea? That way I can play my PC games on my TV!

Well yeah, pretty nice idea, but wouldn't mini ITX media center PC sound better?

Here's http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2Lvgn

Trezay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Trezay
Member since 2014 • 39 Posts

@rubber-chicken: i would recommend going up a little bit on your budget if it is possible and but a Asus ROG notebook !

i got a Asus ROG g75vw that I've had for about a year now and it has been worth every single dollar ! :) had another notebook before that i was not satisfied with for gaming so i sold it so i could afford the g75vw.

had the same budget as you, but I'm glad i managed to raise the budget a little since the notebook i sold cost me approx 1000 when i bought it and did not last long as new games came out, but the g75vw was a little over 1500 if i remember correctly, and it still handles new games pretty good :) by my opinion the extra 500 makes a big difference !

hope you buy a notebook that you happy with regardless ! :)
would recommend asus even without ROG series, had LOTS of problems with other motherboards through the ages but the asus ones i bought have worked noticeably better that other brands! that's just my personal experience though ;)

rubber-chicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 rubber-chicken

Has anyone tried a gaming laptop like the Lenovo Y510p, or one with similar specs, on new gen games such as Battlefield 4? Would this kind of laptop be suitable to play new gen games on? Specifically, I'd be interested in Elder Scrolls Online when it comes out. I'm just worried that gaming laptops like this generally aren't meant to handle games like this, or they'd overheat if you try playing them. How would these games look/play on low settings?

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

Honestly in your price range there is not a stronger pc then that Lenovo Y510p. The second link too it is the better version it has a stronger CPU. And it is cheaper. If I was in the market for a laptop and didn't mind a 15.5inch instead of something bigger(I like big laptops) then that is the one I would go for. Nothing even comes close to offering the performance it has. Think of it this way the Lenovo has two graphics cards. Nothing else your going to buy for $1000 is going to have more then 1 so either have two gt750m's or a single gt 750m or 740m for the same price.

It should be able to play games on ultra/high settings at 1080p for a long time. If not Medium/high in the next few years. This laptop has a short battery life because this is specifically made for games. Thegraphics cards sucks the juice right out of it so you'll need to keep it plugged in when gaming. But I can't recommend buying anything else for gaming at that price range because nothing else even comes close. If your looking for bang for your buck it's for sure the one too go for. I'd put this machine rather close to what you'll be seeing from consoles, I'd actually say it's probably better performance wise.

I've looked at the different models of the Lenovo Y510p as there are a bunch and I found this one. http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-IdeaPad-59388313-15-6-Inch-Laptop/dp/B00F0RC4VQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1391371373&sr=8-2&keywords=Lenovo+IdeaPad+Y510p It's the one you want and it's under $1000. It has an i7 proceccor so she's fast, two gt 750's so you can play games at 1080 on high settings or more, 1tb hard drive(double whats in a ps4 or xbox one and it's even faster then those due to it being part ssd), and 8gb ram which is what modern games ask for.

I know I've all ready stated this but I can't recommend anything else other then the one I linked to you. Nothing else even comes close and it seems to fit your criteria for a laptop perfectly.

CWEBB04z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 CWEBB04z
Member since 2006 • 4879 Posts

@rubber-chicken said:

Has anyone tried a gaming laptop like the Lenovo Y510p, or one with similar specs, on new gen games such as Battlefield 4? Would this kind of laptop be suitable to play new gen games on? Specifically, I'd be interested in Elder Scrolls Online when it comes out. I'm just worried that gaming laptops like this generally aren't meant to handle games like this, or they'd overheat if you try playing them. How would these games look/play on low settings?

IT should be fine, it has 2 GPUs in it. If your going to game on it, I would suggest a laptop cooler or something because a laptop will get hot. I play some really old games on my laptop (Diablo 2 and Neverwinter Nights 2) on my HP laptop with an core i5 and HD3000 igpu and it runs really hot,

IvanElk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 IvanElk
Member since 2008 • 3798 Posts

My friend has a y510p it plays most games very well. His unfortunantly is having a couple problems (touchpad is not working like normal, and he was stupid and cracked the screen). The thing runs hot as hell though, and battery life even when not gaming is pretty trash (3 hours when doing anything outside of just MS word, and probably 4 hours with word). That being said it probably one of the best bang for your buck when it comes to performance laptops.