I need help with strategy pc games

This topic is locked from further discussion.

N_W64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 N_W64
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
alright so im new to pc strategy games and even pc games in general but im really interested in real time strategy games. Theres only one problem, i have wild blue satellite internet and i know satellite internet is bad for gaming but will i be able to play any rts games on pc? or will they all be too laggy?
Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts

Only if you plan on playing ONLINE RTS games.

Silicel1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 Silicel1
Member since 2005 • 2342 Posts
alright so im new to pc strategy games and even pc games in general but im really interested in real time strategy games. Theres only one problem, i have wild blue satellite internet and i know satellite internet is bad for gaming but will i be able to play any rts games on pc? or will they all be too laggy? N_W64
Any game that you will play online with satellite internet is gonna have huge latency.
N_W64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 N_W64
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
i play Star Wars The Old Republic without any lag? is it becasue rts are faster? or what?
Falconoffury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Falconoffury
Member since 2003 • 1722 Posts

Just stick to the singleplayer campaigns and maps, and you will be just fine.

Vlaimir_Lem86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 Vlaimir_Lem86
Member since 2006 • 439 Posts
FPS games are a no-go pretty much, on satellite. RTS games aren't so bad, mostly because commands sent through you net connection only consist of positioning commands... (IE sending troops, building locations, etc etc). Aside from click commands, there aren't many commands in between that you net connections have to bother with. But when it comes to FPS, its a totally different story. Your position, angle of fire, movement speed, your position in relation to others, etc etc... are all factored in. Net Graph on CSS is a constant 115-175k down and 75k up depending on how many players your are playing with at that given time. All we can tell you is to (like every post involving a question like this), is to try it out. Latency from the dish mounted to your roof, to a satellite orbiting the planet is obviously going to be quite high. just try it out... i personally wouldnt game on it though.
Silicel1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 Silicel1
Member since 2005 • 2342 Posts
[QUOTE="Vlaimir_Lem86"]FPS games are a no-go pretty much, on satellite. RTS games aren't so bad, mostly because commands sent through you net connection only consist of positioning commands... (IE sending troops, building locations, etc etc). Aside from click commands, there aren't many commands in between that you net connections have to bother with. But when it comes to FPS, its a totally different story. Your position, angle of fire, movement speed, your position in relation to others, etc etc... are all factored in. Net Graph on CSS is a constant 115-175k down and 75k up depending on how many players your are playing with at that given time. All we can tell you is to (like every post involving a question like this), is to try it out. Latency from the dish mounted to your roof, to a satellite orbiting the planet is obviously going to be quite high. just try it out... i personally wouldnt game on it though.

You misspelled Razer in your sig(unless its on purpose)
madmenno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#9 madmenno
Member since 2004 • 1528 Posts
[QUOTE="Vlaimir_Lem86"]FPS games are a no-go pretty much, on satellite. RTS games aren't so bad, mostly because commands sent through you net connection only consist of positioning commands... (IE sending troops, building locations, etc etc). Aside from click commands, there aren't many commands in between that you net connections have to bother with. But when it comes to FPS, its a totally different story. Your position, angle of fire, movement speed, your position in relation to others, etc etc... are all factored in. Net Graph on CSS is a constant 115-175k down and 75k up depending on how many players your are playing with at that given time. All we can tell you is to (like every post involving a question like this), is to try it out. Latency from the dish mounted to your roof, to a satellite orbiting the planet is obviously going to be quite high. just try it out... i personally wouldnt game on it though.

You should not post stuff you have no clue about.... Sending a position is a vector3, which consists of 3 in or float values. In a RTS game there are way more units. The move speed is just a simple int for velocity and another vector3. No you don't have to calculate the angle of fire (wich is just a normalized vector3) but in RTS you have to sent all the information to which unit shoots what, all there positions and what abilities they using. Simply said, a FPS sends a LOT LESS data over the network then a RTS. Thing is, with an fps you shoot realtime, hence with a 250ms delay you will miss that headshot because your target is slightly ahead of you. With a RTS you sent over what units you attack and if that gets a 500ms delay it does not matter that much, at least on amateur levels.