I need advise on cleaning a dusty LCD HDTV

This topic is locked from further discussion.

soulreaper-4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 soulreaper-4
Member since 2007 • 2247 Posts

I keep hearing that is not safe to clean a dusty LCD with a Microfiber Cloth because it will accumulate on it and will scratch the screen. I wan't to know if it is safe to just wipe the dust with the Microfiber and then clean it with another side without dust. Or should i just wipe the dust with a 100% cotton cloth (or shirt) and then Clean it with the Microfiber one?

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

Doesn't matter what you do, it will scratch. Just wipe it with a microfibre cloth.

Gregoroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Gregoroth
Member since 2005 • 2552 Posts
Use the microfibre cloth. They supply them with TV's for a reason. Any marks will be just that - micro, you won't be able to see them.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 000000000111
Member since 2009 • 406 Posts

This is good advice my LCD came with some Monster screen cleaner and a microfiber cloth (Bestbuy) but I will do as PopMechanics advises when I run out.

Edit: They say to use a new cloth each time to minimize scratching, but keep in mind you can fold the cloth in half twice and get 8 clean sections of cloth. Just another reccomended tip. :P

soulreaper-4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 soulreaper-4

Doesn't matter what you do, it will scratch. Just wipe it with a microfibre cloth.

GTR12
So everyone will have scratches on their lcds?

This is good advice my LCD came with some Monster screen cleaner and a microfiber cloth (Bestbuy) but I will do as PopMechanics advises when I run out.

Edit: They say to use a new cloth each time to minimize scratching, but keep in mind you can fold the cloth in half twice and get 8 clean sections of cloth. Just another reccomended tip. :P

That's what i thought., i should fold the cloth and with one part dust off the screen and with the dust free part clean it. Will it get scratches this way? What about the glossy finish of the exterior? It doesn't seems to be a way to prevent minors scratches on that part.
forumkitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 forumkitty
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
Use the microfibre cloth. They supply them with TV's for a reason. Any marks will be just that - micro, you won't be able to see them.Gregoroth
Yeah I agree. Those cloths work the best. Nothing is perfect, but they work well.
ScrapersPTs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ScrapersPTs
Member since 2009 • 74 Posts

When I see that my screen gets dust, I'll first gently take it off with the microfiber cloth, clean the cloth well, turn it around and clean the undusty screen with the cloth. I have no scratches on the screen.

soulreaper-4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 soulreaper-4

Are those Monster Cleaning cleaners safe to use and does they do the job? Is there a way to prevent those minor scratches on the glossy black exteriors?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 000000000111
Member since 2009 • 406 Posts

Are those Monster Cleaning cleaners safe to use and does they do the job? Is there a way to prevent those minor scratches on the glossy black exteriors?

soulreaper-4

The Monster Cleaner solution is pretty much what the Geek Squad at BestBuy swears by. I use it on mine and the surrounding frame and I haven't noticed and scratching, I am using the MF cloth that it comes with also.

Edit: It cleans very well and was developed for HDTV screen-panels so yes it is safe to use. Just follow the directions on the bottle.

soulreaper-4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 soulreaper-4

[QUOTE="soulreaper-4"]

The Monster Cleaner solution is pretty much what the Geek Squad at BestBuy swears by. I use it on mine and the surrounding frame and I haven't noticed and scratching, I am using the MF cloth that it comes with also.

Edit: It cleans very well and was developed for HDTV screen-panels so yes it is safe to use. Just follow the directions on the bottle.

Ok thanks for the help but can someone tell me how can i prevent those minor scratches on the glossy frame? I notice a lot of minor ones looking close on light reflection. And i have taken good care of it.
GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

Ok thanks for the help but can someone tell me how can i prevent those minor scratches on the glossy frame? I notice a lot of minor ones looking close on light reflection. And i have taken good care of it.soulreaper-4

Put your TV in a bubble, its just dust particles, no matter what you do, it will scratch eventually.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
If your screen doesn't have an anti-reflective/anti-dust coating (AFAIK, Most LCD screens don't), then you can just take any old rag, put water on it, ring it out, and wipe down your screen. If your screen does and you need to clean it, there's nothing you can really do.
soulreaper-4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 soulreaper-4

[QUOTE="soulreaper-4"]Ok thanks for the help but can someone tell me how can i prevent those minor scratches on the glossy frame? I notice a lot of minor ones looking close on light reflection. And i have taken good care of it.GTR12

Put your TV in a bubble, its just dust particles, no matter what you do, it will scratch eventually.

Oh thanks. Were can i get those tv bubble wrappings? LOL just kidding. Many people have said the same to me, no matter what cloth you use the glossy frame will get minor scratches.