I need a list of parts for a PC.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Deathscythe777 (28 posts) -
I need a list of parts for a PC. I plan to use this computer for youtube, vevo.com, email, typing papers for school, and playing music. I would prefer the computer to be around $400 to $500, or cheaper, if possible.
#2 Posted by 04dcarraher (22915 posts) -
I need a list of parts for a PC. I plan to use this computer for youtube, vevo.com, email, typing papers for school, and playing music. I would prefer the computer to be around $400 to $500, or cheaper, if possible.Deathscythe777
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2439347&CatId=6
#3 Posted by Deathscythe777 (28 posts) -
[QUOTE="Deathscythe777"]I need a list of parts for a PC. I plan to use this computer for youtube, vevo.com, email, typing papers for school, and playing music. I would prefer the computer to be around $400 to $500, or cheaper, if possible.04dcarraher
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2439347&CatId=6

Wait, this is a prebuilt, not a list of parts, right?
#4 Posted by Kendog87 (1111 posts) -

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"][QUOTE="Deathscythe777"]I need a list of parts for a PC. I plan to use this computer for youtube, vevo.com, email, typing papers for school, and playing music. I would prefer the computer to be around $400 to $500, or cheaper, if possible.Deathscythe777

He means, for what you are going to be doing on ur pc, just get a cheap prebuilt.

#5 Posted by superclocked (5864 posts) -

[QUOTE="Deathscythe777"][QUOTE="04dcarraher"] http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2439347&CatId=6Kendog87

He means, for what you are going to be doing on ur pc, just get a cheap prebuilt.

A laptop would be good in this case too.
#6 Posted by kraken2109 (13271 posts) -

If you're paying that little and not after gaming there is no reason to build yourself - you won't save any money.

#7 Posted by Deathscythe777 (28 posts) -

If you're paying that little and not after gaming there is no reason to build yourself - you won't save any money.

kraken2109
Some random guy told me that prebuilts usually don't last as long as computers you build yourself, because they are built with cheaper parts.
#8 Posted by superclocked (5864 posts) -
[QUOTE="kraken2109"]

Deathscythe777
Some random guy told me that prebuilts usually don't last as long as computers you build yourself, because they are built with cheaper parts.

That is true, but if you're not gaming on the PC, then it's really a non-issue, since you won't really be putting much stress on the components...
#9 Posted by General_X (9137 posts) -
Do you need peripherals and operating system included in this cost? (Monitor, keyboard, headphones, mouse, and cost of Windows included)? Also keep in mind for a non-gaming rig, the cost of high-quality parts will make it cost more than a pre-built with the same specs. Traditionally for non-gaming builds it is more cost effective to buy a pre-built, but they do often cheap out on the motherboard, powersupply, and case to keep costs low.
#10 Posted by Deathscythe777 (28 posts) -
[QUOTE="Deathscythe777"][QUOTE="kraken2109"]

superclocked

That is true, but if you're not gaming on the PC, then it's really a non-issue, since you won't really be putting much stress on the components...

I will probably not do gaming on the prebuilt PC. Does that mean it should last longer since i won't put a lot of stress on the components? And by components you mean parts?
#11 Posted by superclocked (5864 posts) -
[QUOTE="Deathscythe777"][QUOTE="superclocked"][QUOTE="Deathscythe777"] Some random guy told me that prebuilts usually don't last as long as computers you build yourself, because they are built with cheaper parts.

I will probably not do gaming on the prebuilt PC. Does that mean it should last longer since i won't put a lot of stress on the components? And by components you mean parts?

Yep.. Just vacuum it out occasionally, and you'll be good to go...
#12 Posted by Deathscythe777 (28 posts) -
[QUOTE="Deathscythe777"][QUOTE="superclocked"]That is true, but if you're not gaming on the PC, then it's really a non-issue, since you won't really be putting much stress on the components...superclocked

What are you saying yes to? That not using the PC for gaming will make it last longer because there won't be stress on the parts, or that components means parts? Sorry, i'm kind of out of it.
#13 Posted by superclocked (5864 posts) -
[QUOTE="Deathscythe777"][QUOTE="superclocked"][QUOTE="Deathscythe777"] I will probably not do gaming on the prebuilt PC. Does that mean it should last longer since i won't put a lot of stress on the components? And by components you mean parts?

What are you saying yes to? That not using the PC for gaming will make it last longer because there won't be stress on the parts, or that components means parts? Sorry, i'm kind of out of it.

lol, np.. But I was saying yes to both :)
#14 Posted by Deathscythe777 (28 posts) -
[QUOTE="Deathscythe777"][QUOTE="superclocked"]Yep.. Just vacuum it out occasionally, and you'll be good to go...superclocked

I read the post of a guy complaining that he used 5 prebuilt PCs, and that all of them had problems within 2-4 years. Is it possible he had problems because he was gaming?
#15 Posted by General_X (9137 posts) -
[QUOTE="Deathscythe777"][QUOTE="superclocked"][QUOTE="Deathscythe777"] What are you saying yes to? That not using the PC for gaming will make it last longer because there won't be stress on the parts, or that components means parts? Sorry, i'm kind of out of it.

I read the post of a guy complaining that he used 5 prebuilt PCs, and that all of them had problems within 2-4 years. Is it possible he had problems because he was gaming?

Some people are just unlucky, that sounds like it might have been a problem with a particular model. That said, custom computers can be built with higher-quality/more reliable parts, but just because they are higher quality doesn't mean there is zero possiblity of errors or failing.
#16 Posted by Deathscythe777 (28 posts) -
[QUOTE="Deathscythe777"][QUOTE="superclocked"]lol, np.. But I was saying yes to both :)General_X

Some people are just unlucky, that sounds like it might have been a problem with a particular model. That said, custom computers can be built with higher-quality/more reliable parts, but just because they are higher quality doesn't mean there is zero possiblity of errors or failing.

And you agree with superclocked that if i use a prebuilt that costs somewhat below $400, but not use it for heavy stuff like gaming, that it should last a long time?