I love the idea behind Day/War-Z. This could have been great...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by BSC14 (4187 posts) -

So I just watched Gamespot's Day/War-Z for noobs and got to thinking aboit it. Man, this could have been an awesome game...a horror mmo done right would be freaking awesome....but in first person. And no TSW does not count...

But how awesome would it be to have a good survival horror 1st person mmo?

#2 Posted by Wasdie (53429 posts) -

Well 1st person is extremely limiting in a survival environment, which is why nobody really uses it in DayZ. They may limit it to 1st person when DayZ goes official. I know there are servers out there that would limit you from using 1st person.

1st person in video games are kind of a farse. The FoV and your situational awarness drop even at really high screen FoVs (like 120s). Nothing provides situational awareness like third person. Even when I play ArmA 2 with my squad I'm constantly switching to 3rd person to move as it gives me the situational awareness I would have if I was really there.

I hear Track Ir does wonders for this, but that stuff is expensive.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
#3 Posted by deactivated-59b71619573a1 (38222 posts) -

It's great for immersion to play in First person and just go against zombies and survive, but going into third person gives you so much more spatial awareness. In fact third person view is more like how your eyes would see the world anyway, except for seeing your whole body, first person in DayZ untweaked is severely narrow sighted, going into third person gives you more peripheral vision.

First person becomes very limited in what you can assess and handle. Before you know it you get boxed in and can't see sh!t.

#4 Posted by KHAndAnime (17565 posts) -
DayZ has servers with first-person only, the problem is that not many people play them.
#5 Posted by Elann2008 (33028 posts) -
I disagree when people say that third-person isn't as immersive as first-person shooter. For zombie-survival games, third-person view should be highly considered unless it focuses more on melee combat like Dead Island. For a game like DayZ, it should be third-person. Given the option, I'll always choose third-person when it comes to video games like DayZ/WarZ.
#6 Posted by Elann2008 (33028 posts) -
DayZ has servers with first-person only, the problem is that not many people play them. KHAndAnime
This. And there's a reason for that. Every single video I've watched of DayZ on youtube, the players played it in third-person.
#7 Posted by KHAndAnime (17565 posts) -
I'm a little split on it really. I appreciate the balancing advantages brought to the game by forcing first-person. Third-person view can truly be cheap at times, bringing about unrealistic situational awareness (such as being able to spot people safely around corners and above fences). While I find first-person view too restricting, I also find third-person view to be too 'lax. I wish there was a middleground that gives people the enjoyment of 3rd person view without the cheapness that can go with it.
#8 Posted by wis3boi (32507 posts) -

I disagree when people say that third-person isn't as immersive as first-person shooter. For zombie-survival games, third-person view should be highly considered unless it focuses more on melee combat like Dead Island. For a game like DayZ, it should be third-person. Given the option, I'll always choose third-person when it comes to video games like DayZ/WarZ.Elann2008

I actually bound a key on my mouse side buttons for 3rd person in L4D2. Aiming is way the hell off when you do that, but for peeking around corners or in melee, it's amazing the amount of environmental awarness you gain. Hell I've used it so much I can actualyl compensate for the terrible weapon aiming in that mode.

#9 Posted by mhofever (3960 posts) -

Hopefully in the standalone DayZ, there'll be a 1st person view only.

#10 Posted by SPYDER0416 (16736 posts) -

[QUOTE="Elann2008"]I disagree when people say that third-person isn't as immersive as first-person shooter. For zombie-survival games, third-person view should be highly considered unless it focuses more on melee combat like Dead Island. For a game like DayZ, it should be third-person. Given the option, I'll always choose third-person when it comes to video games like DayZ/WarZ.wis3boi

I actually bound a key on my mouse side buttons for 3rd person in L4D2. Aiming is way the hell off when you do that, but for peeking around corners or in melee, it's amazing the amount of environmental awarness you gain. Hell I've used it so much I can actualyl compensate for the terrible weapon aiming in that mode.

I had no idea there was a 3rd person option in L4D2.

#11 Posted by wis3boi (32507 posts) -

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="Elann2008"]I disagree when people say that third-person isn't as immersive as first-person shooter. For zombie-survival games, third-person view should be highly considered unless it focuses more on melee combat like Dead Island. For a game like DayZ, it should be third-person. Given the option, I'll always choose third-person when it comes to video games like DayZ/WarZ.SPYDER0416

I had no idea there was a 3rd person option in L4D2.

Gunshots are so far off the crosshair it isnt even funny and shotguns are silent, but yeah it's there.

ECE5BFC9E235526437BA1CE5C317AE069F3C25F8

#12 Posted by bonafidetk (3911 posts) -

Hopefully in the standalone DayZ, there'll be a 1st person view only.

mhofever
sauce or just fanboy hope? I know a lot people wont play if its 1st person only.
#13 Posted by alan_carter (1404 posts) -

It could have been great if they hadn't used the clunky arma 2 engine.