I lost my cd key to bioshock after I had to reformat my hard drive the manfuctur

This topic is locked from further discussion.

plvness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 plvness
Member since 2007 • 95 Posts

I lost my cd key to bioshock after I had to reformat my hard drive the manfucturer said there is no way to retrieve it any ideas on how to retrieve it

NoctisCaelum52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 NoctisCaelum52
Member since 2009 • 1359 Posts
How about the box ? I mean is it a retail ?
chapman86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 chapman86
Member since 2004 • 583 Posts

steam is selling for 13.99 right now, take advantage of it.

zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 zomglolcats
Member since 2008 • 4335 Posts
If you don't have the box you're out of luck. There wouldn't be any possible way to retrieve it from the hard drive if you formatted (even then I'm not exactly sure how you'd go about getting it, but I'm sure there's some way). They aren't going to hand you out another key because anybody could just call claiming they lost it to get a CD key.
zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 zomglolcats

steam is selling for 13.99 right now, take advantage of it.

chapman86
Yeah this is your best option. Plus, if you have it on Steam, you'll never have to worry about losing CD keys.
magnax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 magnax1
Member since 2007 • 4605 Posts

I was just about to start a topic about losing my Company of heroes key when I got my new comp. This is the only reason I'd rather buy games on my xbox then my comp.

zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 zomglolcats

I was just about to start a topic about losing my Company of heroes key when I got my new comp. This is the only reason I'd rather buy games on my xbox then my comp.

magnax1

Well if losing a key is that much of an issue buy your games with digital distribution. But really how hard is it to hang on to your box?

Alternatively, open Windows Notepad, type in your product key and save the .txt file to a flash drive or something as backup.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

Game costs under $20... just buy a new copy...

magnax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 magnax1
Member since 2007 • 4605 Posts

[QUOTE="magnax1"]

zomglolcats

Well if losing a key is that much of an issue buy your games with digital distribution. But really how hard is it to hang on to your box?

Alternatively, open Windows Notepad, type in your product key and save the .txt file to a flash drive or something as backup.

Well, its mostly other people throwing out the boxes. I've only lost two, but its frustrating when it happens.

Anyway, I found a site that will give you the keys. I'm pretty sure its legal if you've actually bought the game.

Recover Lost or Forgotten Legal CD Keys or Serials of Your PC Games

zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 zomglolcats
This is one of the reasons I prefer Retail over Digital Downloads..NoctisCaelum52
How is that relevant? He lost the box or manual with the CD key for the retail version... if he had bought it on Steam, that wouldn't be an issue.