I just bought WOW and playing it for the first time

This topic is locked from further discussion.

survivor9712

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 survivor9712
Member since 2010 • 366 Posts

I'm new at this. Was it a good call? The game is still installing. I bought the whole box set with all the add-ons.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
It's a great time to get into it if that's what you're asking, if you bought it (them) then you're obviously interested and it means it's a good call.
Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#3 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

Anytime is a good time for WoW. There aren't any real competitors in terms of sheer quality so you definitely made a good call.

enorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 enorox
Member since 2006 • 252 Posts
At this point, if you're new to it you'll have a blast. But for someone who has been playing for a long time and just coming back they wouldn't get that same feeling or enjoyment. Just my thought.
Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

Personally, I think you missed it's hay day. I loved Vanilla and tried to like TBC and WotLK, but neither game kept the charm that Vanilla had.

However, sometimes ignorance is bliss and if you're just starting now, I'm sure you'll enjoy it as others have said: there is little competition.

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#6 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

Its hey day is gone, but at this rate I don't see it dying for at least another decade.

Plus Mists of Panderia dude, something to keep the subscription count high.

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#7 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

Cataclysm is the best WoW has ever been for levelling and being new to the game. Looking at this thread through your rose-tinted glasses and telling someone that's new to the game how good it used to be, is irrelevant.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DanielDust

Personally, I think you missed it's hay day. I loved Vanilla and tried to like TBC and WotLK, but neither game kept the charm that Vanilla had.

However, sometimes ignorance is bliss and if you're just starting now, I'm sure you'll enjoy it as others have said: there is little competition.

Cwagmire21
1-60 has been almost completely redesigned, since he didn't play, he never experienced "vanilla" and never will, he will just experience a way better starter content with insanely better quests and better zones (the only thing left of vanilla is the classic rep grind, which is just as terrible, hopefully they fix that too sooner or later).
James00715

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 James00715
Member since 2003 • 2484 Posts

You will have a lot of fun but don't get addicted. Don't worry about the people bashing the game. That's because they played it for years and hate it now. Most of them loved it when they first played it.

HyperWarlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 HyperWarlock
Member since 2011 • 3295 Posts

People that bash the game are the ones who have been there before cata, and think the game is dumbed down. Also because they have played too much and gotten bored of it so they think that it's the game that has gotten worse. It's fun trust me. Just remember- Gnomes are not your friends

tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts

It's a wonderful game, the best MMORPG I've ever played. I have about 200 hours or more into the game. It will get you addicted as hell after a few months.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#12 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts

I wish i could forget WoW and start again, it was so fun back when everything was new and exciting. Now though i won't ever go back, it was good for 4 years but now it's boring and not worth the expansion pack cost plus subscription.

You're new so you'll enjoy it like nothing else just as most have said it really is great but once you've levelled and geared about 10 characters and know every dungeon as if it was your name it just feels empty and boring. Granted getting to this stage is a massive leap as my main character had something like 120 days of constant uptime which is probably average. 120 days of solid enjoyment is something you'll get out of the game easily.

HyperWarlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 HyperWarlock

It's a wonderful game, the best MMORPG I've ever played. I have about 200 hours or more into the game. It will get you addicted as hell after a few months.

tjricardo089

I've put more hours into that game than I would like to admit.

Bruin1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Bruin1986
Member since 2007 • 1629 Posts

tjricardo089
Lol, a fraternity brother of mine had over 200 DAYS spread among his characters. I was impressed he didn't fail out of school...
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

now is a great time to start playing for newcomers, as many stated. It's the veterans that will dislike it.

Selkc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Selkc
Member since 2011 • 203 Posts

actually the mood of the warcraft message board is that the game is going in a good direction at present.. i mean this coming from vets

CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17 CaptainAhab13
Member since 2010 • 5121 Posts

I'm coming back soon. :cry:

Thousands of hours, no regrets, amazing game, you definitely made a good call.

V4LENT1NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 V4LENT1NE
Member since 2006 • 12901 Posts
I have played on and off for years, its an amazing game especially if you have a guild or friends in it.
xXShortroundXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 xXShortroundXx
Member since 2011 • 1807 Posts

I must admit I enjoyed the 30 hours or so I played when I was in high school, but I got put off a bit when Cata came out and people said that WoW was dying off. I think I was a bit naive, but I got put off by all the negative energy :P

Starkzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Starkzard
Member since 2008 • 43 Posts

Good call there buddy, if you're new to the game you will have a blast exploring the contients and all the game features, plus Cataclysm improved the leveling experience a lot.

ssvegeta555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ssvegeta555
Member since 2003 • 2448 Posts
It's a good call IMO. I played on and off for years and I had fun. Just be careful, it's addicting. ;)
survivor9712

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 survivor9712
Alright. Thanks.
TheFatPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 TheFatPerson
Member since 2011 • 1806 Posts

It depends. You might enjoy it because you're new to it and you have nothing else to really compare it to. However, the game is so dumbed down and so casual-friendly now. I actually feel really bad about what's going on, it used to be such a great game.

Lamb_Jalfrezi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 Lamb_Jalfrezi
Member since 2002 • 178 Posts

It depends. You might enjoy it because you're new to it and you have nothing else to really compare it to. However, the game is so dumbed down and so casual-friendly now. I actually feel really bad about what's going on, it used to be such a great game.

TheFatPerson

Yeah, you used to have to be a **** genius to poke those three buttons which made up your attack cycle. Anyway, WoW is a really great game that will take alot of your time and cash, but is worth it for the experience - I quit when I hit lvl 80 in Northrend, but I don't regret the time I spent in game.

HyperWarlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 HyperWarlock

Right now people treat the game like it's the worst thing since the Third Reich. Honestly it's only dissapointing if you have been playing for years.

Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#26 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts

Well, if you are new then good luck and yes, you will enjoy it and make a lot of alts, and perhaps make a character in the other faction. Despite being quite old, the game is still a delight to look.

Warning though, after perhaps six months, a year or more you will find the game to be quite repetitive and can't find the same enthusiasm as in the past for even log in. That happened to me.

markportman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 markportman
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

As you'll hopefully discover, there is a lot to do on that game. There are countless options of customization and diversion in WoW, which I think is one of its strong points versus alternative MMOs. Granted, this accumulation of options is largely due to the age of the game.

jwsoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#28 jwsoul
Member since 2005 • 5467 Posts
[QUOTE="tjricardo089"]

Bruin1986
Lol, a fraternity brother of mine had over 200 DAYS spread among his characters. I was impressed he didn't fail out of school...

I have over 230 + Days on one character lol ("RUNS") I stopped playing before the latest expansion i was a vahnillia player mind.
HyperWarlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 HyperWarlock

[QUOTE="Bruin1986"][QUOTE="tjricardo089"]

jwsoul

I have over 230 + Days on one character lol ("RUNS") I stopped playing before the latest expansion i was a vahnillia player mind.

That's close to a straight year on one character. Damn you must have been a recluse during your WoW days!

Claremonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Claremonster
If you're new to MMO's, turn back now before it's too late!
survivor9712

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 survivor9712
If you're new to MMO's, turn back now before it's too late!Claremonster
what do you mean by that? You mean like addiction? Anyways, I need help guys, there is trouble installing Wrath of Ligh King. I don't know where to type the serial key :(
mirgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 mirgamer
Member since 2003 • 2489 Posts

You'll enjoy it. For all the bashing it gets, after 5-6(?) years and still the reigning king of MMOs, it has to be doing something right. Ignore the bittervets.

Combii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Combii
Member since 2009 • 755 Posts

WoW destroyed my life :o I was so addicted to it

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 DanielDust

[QUOTE="Claremonster"]If you're new to MMO's, turn back now before it's too late!survivor9712
what do you mean by that? You mean like addiction? Anyways, I need help guys, there is trouble installing Wrath of Ligh King. I don't know where to type the serial key :(

On the website in your account.

You log in on your battle.net account, manage my games, World of Warcraft: Burning Crusade (makes sure to choose the correct game instance, if you have more than one WoW present use the one that has your username under it or like they do nowadays a WoW1 as a username or something like that) and on the right you have "enter game key", enter it there, for both WotLK and Cataclysm and you're set.

You do not have to/can't install WotLK or Cataclysm if you already installed the battlechest, because it's technically the same game, after you install any of the WoWs it'll patch it up to the current expansion/patch, that's why it's faster to install Cataclysm and get a few gigs of updates compared to the older expansions and a lot of gigs of updates.

CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#35 CaptainAhab13
Member since 2010 • 5121 Posts
Many of the people who will tell you the game is crap are people who have been playing for years and years and got sick of it by the time Cataclysm, the latest expansion, rolled around (I'm one of those people). Can't deny it was an amazing experience, though. :)
Claremonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Claremonster
[QUOTE="Claremonster"]If you're new to MMO's, turn back now before it's too late!survivor9712

I meant that it's a life-sucker. You could end up like me and be hopelessly addicted to MMOs! But I guess it's different for everyone. Some people have addictive personalities and some don't. And unfortunately, I do... >
Avatar image for deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
Member since 2009 • 4928 Posts

its still the best mmo out there right now, Swtor was so boring i actually just reinstalled wow, and yes it is better. I may switch to GW2 when that comes out