I got a Surface RT tablet...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mrintro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 mrintro
Member since 2004 • 1354 Posts

and it's pretty awesome. I've owned iPad, have a nexus 7, and now RT. I can actually get work done with the RT. How can people not like this???

Geminon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Geminon
Member since 2012 • 1177 Posts

@mrintro said:

and it's pretty awesome. I've owned iPad, have a nexus 7, and now RT. I can actually get work done with the RT. How can people not like this???

no apps...expensive...might as well just buy a laptop.

most people that want a tablet arent looking to pay 1K for it...and those that are will most likely just buy a laptop instead.

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

I think you can get the 32GBs for like 350. Congrats on the purchse my brother wants to get one for taking notes in class etc.

Geminon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Geminon
Member since 2012 • 1177 Posts

@Arthas045 said:

I think you can get the 32GBs for like 350. Congrats on the purchse my brother wants to get one for taking notes in class etc.

if you wanna buy the ghetto version that cant really do much.

if you want full windows and a simulated PC experience... you are looking at a grand

mrintro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mrintro

@Geminon said:

@Arthas045 said:

if you want full windows and a simulated PC experience... you are looking at a grand

Well I got RT for $170 during black friday. It's actually fun to work on and I like how you can have two windows at the same time. yea, apps are still not there yet, but I'm pretty impressed still. battery life is pretty good too.

sleepingzzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6  Edited By sleepingzzz
Member since 2006 • 2263 Posts

RT is a gimp version of Win 8 and MS has already said they were going to get rid of it.

Even if you got the Pro version with Win 8 it would still be a waste since a lot of the laptop manufactures are coming out with hybrid laptops with detachable keyboards which would turn it into a tablet. The difference is those laptops have very nice detachable keyboards that also add battery life. Not that the cheap plastic keyboard that MS charges close to $100 as an add-on for the Surface.

mrintro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mrintro

Not going to get rid of it per de, just merging it to better os

General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts

Got one for my dad when it was $200, definitely not a bad deal for a 10in tablet that's for sure. And since he's only going to use it for light web usage and showing off photos I figure it should do the job just fine.

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts

We would've gotten one for our son if they had dropped the price sooner. He already has a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1. Games run really well on it...

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

I don't like being restricted with the RT versions of Windows 8.

I'm not a very casual computer user to be pleased by such... simplistic apps.

For a budget student laptop/tablet, the Asus T100 is nice and it has the full fledged windows 8 and free Word for an amazing price.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

The Surface RT isn't so bad as an alternate for the iPad. My niece has one and its perfect for school since it comes with Office free. She doesn't care for third party apps but she wish to have Google Chrome though. At least Apps are rolling in but it will take a lot of time.

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12181 Posts

@Geminon said:

@Arthas045 said:

Then what is the Ipad since it can't do serious work like Office. The Surface and touch-pad keyboard is way better anything Apple has for work stuff.

Sleepyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By Sleepyz
Member since 2003 • 3805 Posts

I had bought one for a present for my parents but after a week they gave it back to me to return it. I gave them a 450 dollar laptop instead that one they loved. I just saw the surface rt in special at bestbuy for just 200 bucks, i had paid 350 for it.

mrintro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mrintro

@xhawk27 said:

@Geminon said:

@Arthas045 said:

Then what is the Ipad since it can't do serious work like Office. The Surface and touch-pad keyboard is way better anything Apple has for work stuff.

Agreed. I've owned iPad, and currently own a Nexus 7 and the Surface. iPad was the least useful to me. The Nexus 7 is really convenient aqnd light. The Surface I don't actually have to carry my laptop around to work on documents.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

I got a Surface RT as well.

People who compare it to laptops have no clue what they are talking about.

The RT is a tablet.

The Pro is a hybrid.

Each one has different uses and purposes.

Surface RT does what it does very well. It just needs to be a bit cheaper and have a few more apps released for it.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#17  Edited By Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

For what it does, at that price, no.. not even a decent buy. At this point in the game, it's an alternative, and Microsoft should have dropped the price a long time ago.

I buy things based on value. For instance, I bought an ultrabook by Asus for $470 + $50 rebate, taking it down for $420. Sure.. I can't hold a laptop in one hand like i would a tablet, but I can still hold it in one hand, and it includes so many more features.. it has a fully-loaded Windows 8 OS. I am forced to use an iPad at work, and I don't see the point. Features, apps, and all.. I'd rather carry a good laptop and do my work on it.

Maybe if you're a sales rep at an Apple Store, it is "efficient" and required for work.. but for most students, a value laptop goes a long way and it's easily a better buy. A tablet doesn't even have a keypad/type pad.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@Elann2008 said:

For what it does, at that price, no.. not even a decent buy. At this point in the game, it's an alternative, and Microsoft should have dropped the price a long time ago.

I buy things based on value. For instance, I bought an ultrabook by Asus for $470 + $50 rebate, taking it down for $420. Sure.. I can't hold a laptop in one hand like i would a tablet, but I can still hold it in one hand, and it includes so many more features.. it has a fully-loaded Windows 8 OS. I am forced to use an iPad at work, and I don't see the point. Features, apps, and all.. I'd rather carry a good laptop and do my work on it.

Maybe if you're a sales rep at an Apple Store, it is "efficient" and required for work.. but for most students, a value laptop goes a long way and it's easily a better buy. A tablet doesn't even have a keypad/type pad.

It all depends on usage and what you want to do with it.

If you have to fully work, then you need a laptop or desktop. If you just want to partially work (quickly check emails on the run, edit a quick word document etc), then a tablet is light, small and has long battery life.

I use my desktop for everything, but then have my Surface RT for things like checking email/facebook on the couch while watching TV, using Skype to call friends and family when on holidays etc etc.

It's great that there are so many options now because not everyone is the same and requires the same tools.