I give you the World's Most Expensive Gaming GPU to be ever sold!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

User Lists: 0

#1 Xtasy26
Member since 2008 • 5582 Posts

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-Radeon-HD-7990-Malta-Engineering-Sample-/121096253149?nma=true&si=zGt0XWHpMEW6EQpjTmrCfrqonns%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

hd79902.jpg

Yes, you read that right. An engineering sample of AMD's upcoming Tahiti X2 GPU, sold for a whopping $96,100.0 :shock:

I think someone is off their meds. :P

LordEC911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 LordEC911
Member since 2004 • 9972 Posts

Well seeing how it is illegal to own/sell an ES, you have to wonder how long they will have it.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#3 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

"This listing was ended by the seller because the item was sold."

Lol, oh wow.

C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts
If I sell my old 8800GT to myself for $100K, can I claim the record?
GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

$96,150.00 ;)

You forgot shipping.

mastershake575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mastershake575
Member since 2007 • 8574 Posts

How can you even get drivers for it ?

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Xtasy26

$96,150.00 ;)

You forgot shipping.

GTR12

Thanks for correcting. :)

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16538 Posts

i know who bought it folks....it was nvidia ceo Jen-Hsun Huang. 

dramaybaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 dramaybaz
Member since 2005 • 6020 Posts
AMD are desperate. [spoiler] /sarcasm [/spoiler]
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

Well seeing how it is illegal to own/sell an ES, you have to wonder how long they will have it.

LordEC911
I've bought plenty of ES stuff.
LordEC911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 LordEC911

[QUOTE="LordEC911"]

JigglyWiggly_

I've bought plenty of ES stuff.

Yes but something this rare and getting this much attention...

Cyberdot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Cyberdot
Member since 2013 • 3928 Posts

Lol, the price is crazy and obviously falsely submitted. :P

I'd rather get myself a GTX 690 or Titan over AMD though, so I know I got a reliable and dependable GPU.

LordEC911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LordEC911

I'd rather get myself a GTX 690 or Titan over AMD though, so I know I got a reliable and dependable GPU.Cyberdot

Shill or just uneducated?

Cyberdot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Cyberdot

[QUOTE="Cyberdot"]I'd rather get myself a GTX 690 or Titan over AMD though, so I know I got a reliable and dependable GPU.LordEC911

Personal opinion.

Sorry if it conflicts with yours. No need to throw insults at me.

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

[QUOTE="LordEC911"]

[QUOTE="Cyberdot"]I'd rather get myself a GTX 690 or Titan over AMD though, so I know I got a reliable and dependable GPU.Cyberdot

Personal opinion.

Yeah but your personal opinion is stupid and uneducated, which is why he asked if you were a shill or just uneducated.

mastershake575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mastershake575
Member since 2007 • 8574 Posts

[QUOTE="Cyberdot"]I'd rather get myself a GTX 690 or Titan over AMD though, so I know I got a reliable and dependable GPU.LordEC911

I think its a little of both. This is the user who had no idea what seasonic was......... I think he lets personal bias/opinions get the best of him (for example ive seen him in a bunch of threads regarding overclocking and he will always scream "its pointless/not worth it" "don't do it"). He also recommend a locked version of i3 that was .7ghz slower than the FX 6xxx just beacuse he doesn't like/recommend AMD.....

Cyberdot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Cyberdot

[QUOTE="Cyberdot"]

[QUOTE="LordEC911"]

GummiRaccoon

Personal opinion.

Yeah but your personal opinion is stupid and uneducated, which is why he asked if you were a shill or just uneducated.

How about me telling Americans that their opinion to the right of carrying guns is stupid and uneducated?

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 blaznwiipspman1

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

[QUOTE="Cyberdot"]

Personal opinion.

Cyberdot

How about me telling Americans that their opinion to the right of carrying guns is stupid and uneducated?

well as a canadian Id agree with you about the guns, but I can't agree with your statement about nvidia being reliable.  AMD is far more reliable hardware wise than nvidia. Sorry gg no re.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

[QUOTE="Cyberdot"]

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

blaznwiipspman1

well as a canadian Id agree with you about the guns, but I can't agree with your statement about nvidia being reliable.  AMD is far more reliable hardware wise than nvidia. Sorry gg no re.

AMD being more reliable then Nvidia ? :lol: go back to your RED WOMB.
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts
[QUOTE="blaznwiipspman1"]

[QUOTE="Cyberdot"]

04dcarraher

Let's all calm down guys, none of you truly know which is more reliable.
04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 04dcarraher
[QUOTE="04dcarraher"][QUOTE="blaznwiipspman1"]

kraken2109

exactly, it was poke
sleepingzzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#23 sleepingzzz
Member since 2006 • 2263 Posts

If I sell my old 8800GT to myself for $100K, can I claim the record?C_Rule

Sure if you want to pay ebay the percentage on the sale (probably 3-5%) for making such a transaction.

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 GummiRaccoon

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

[QUOTE="Cyberdot"]

Personal opinion.

Cyberdot

One has nothing to do with the other.  I feel like you want to change the subject because you have no clue how to approach the current subject.

I thought it was just America that had a bad educational system.

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 GummiRaccoon

[QUOTE="Cyberdot"]

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

blaznwiipspman1

Implying Canadians don't have more guns than people.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

[QUOTE="blaznwiipspman1"]

[QUOTE="Cyberdot"]

04dcarraher

well as a canadian Id agree with you about the guns, but I can't agree with your statement about nvidia being reliable. AMD is far more reliable hardware wise than nvidia. Sorry gg no re.

go back to your GREEN WOMB.

http://www.techpowerup.com/88515/Study_Modern_Graphics_Card_Failure_Rates.html

16arxxx.png

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ronvalencia

I'd rather get myself a GTX 690 or Titan over AMD though, so I know I got a reliable and dependable GPU.

Cyberdot
Just make sure it's not laptop NVidia parts.
04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 04dcarraher

well as a canadian Id agree with you about the guns, but I can't agree with your statement about nvidia being reliable. AMD is far more reliable hardware wise than nvidia. Sorry gg no re.

ronvalencia

Another one..... lets ignore TDP usage, and the fact that all these results are from europe and the fact it includes POV manufacturer a big Nvidia supplier , which that brand had the highest sales and the highest failure rate. The high GTX280 failure rate probably is directly related to Point of View failure rate. Also . It seems that the data from this sample might not be statistically significant based on the sample size. Two cards sold more than 100 units in the dataset being analysed and had a return rate of 10%+.

buccomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 buccomatic
Member since 2005 • 1941 Posts

kraken2109

i had an ati x800xt die on me but i've never had an nvidia card bite the dust. i'm using a laptop with an amd 7670m card in it, right now, to game with and it has driver issues and won't even play some games at all like one of my favorites, RAGE. :(
horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127502 Posts
What is so special about an engineering sample? Better voltage control and better chips?
comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38671 Posts
What is so special about an engineering sample? Better voltage control and better chips? horgen123
no, it could actually be worse from the hw perspective because it's not a final product yet. the only benefit would be getting a pre-release level of something before it is available to the publc. could be months and months in advance of actual general availability. i've worked with some es hw for my job. it's not always reliable....
ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ronvalencia

[QUOTE="ronvalencia"]

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"] AMD being more reliable then Nvidia ? :lol: go back to your RED WOMB. 04dcarraher

Another one..... lets ignore TDP usage, and the fact that all these results are from europe and the fact it includes POV manufacturer a big Nvidia supplier , which that brand had the highest sales and the highest failure rate. The high GTX280 failure rate probably is directly related to Point of View failure rate. Also . It seems that the data from this sample might not be statistically significant based on the sample size. Two cards sold more than 100 units in the dataset being analysed and had a return rate of 10%+.

On the otherhand, Sapphire is known to be the largest seller for ATI/AMD type GPUs. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sapphire_Technology

Gainward's parent company is Palit.

NVIDIA "bumpate" related legal battles still persist in 2012 http://www.seattlerex.com/seattle-rex-vs-apple-the-verdict-is-in/

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Xtasy26

Cyberdot

I have had 3 AMD GPU's since I switched over from nVidia and they have all been working flawlessly so far. I was all nVidia before going back to the original RIVA 128 back in 1998. 

As a matter of fact I was a vicitim of nVidia's "Bump Gate" when my 17" gaming laptop died with it's nVidia GeForce 7600 GPU died on me. So, I could argue that  AMD GPU's are more reliable. AMD never had a "Bump Gate". 

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Xtasy26

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"]

[QUOTE="ronvalencia"]

ronvalencia

On the otherhand, Sapphire is known to be the largest seller for ATI/AMD type GPUs. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sapphire_Technology

NVIDIA "bumpate" related legal battles still persist in 2012 http://www.seattlerex.com/seattle-rex-vs-apple-the-verdict-is-in/

What an awesome find rova! Thanks for posting. I am glad the guy won. While my 17" Gaming laptop with the defective nVidia GPU didn't cost $4000 like this guy's 17" MacBook Pro it did cause me a lot of grief and cost me money. 

Funny story, I sent nVidia an e-mail and told them about their defective 7600/8600 GPU's and told them this wouldn't have happened if I brought an ATI GPU and demanded that they do a replacement, they responded with a one liner that they don't do replacement. 

What's astonishing about this article is that Apple sent two lawyers to fight this guys when they could have simply got a replacement laptop, after all, it's not Apple that pays for the replacement laptop it's actually nVidia since it's their defective GPU as the Apple lawyer put it:

"Apple guys said Oh, it wouldnt have cost us anything, Nvidia foots the bill for each board we replace. What a douche. Nvidia was also acting like douche bags when they simply sent a  BIOS fix to Dell and other laptop makers that had the defective 8600\7600 GPU's where it would run the GPU fans faster in order to cool the GPU's more until the "warranty" runs out in that way they wouldn't be responsible for replacing the laptop. 

I am glad I switched over to AMD, I have been doing gaming on this laptop for nearly 4 years and it hasn't been a problem so far. And Dell weren't a bunch of d!cks. When I had a burned pixel on my 17" laptop they replaced the entire screen with a brand new screen. After they installed the screen the laptop wouldn't start up so they replaced the entire MB with a brand new mother board (which means I got a brand new Radeon 3650 because the GPU is built into the mother board (whoot!) not to mention I got a new back covering and bezels. In other words, after a year of use esentially got a brand new laptop. Awesome service from Dell I must say and great GPU form AMD.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ronvalencia

[QUOTE="ronvalencia"]

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"] Another one..... lets ignore TDP usage, and the fact that all these results are from europe and the fact it includes POV manufacturer a big Nvidia supplier , which that brand had the highest sales and the highest failure rate. The high GTX280 failure rate probably is directly related to Point of View failure rate. Also . It seems that the data from this sample might not be statistically significant based on the sample size. Two cards sold more than 100 units in the dataset being analysed and had a return rate of 10%+.

Xtasy26

What an awesome find rova! Thanks for posting. I am glad the guy won. While my 17" Gaming laptop with the defective nVidia GPU didn't cost $4000 like this guy's 17" MacBook Pro it did cause me a lot of grief and cost me money. 

Funny story, I sent nVidia an e-mail and told them about their defective 7600/8600 GPU's and told them this wouldn't have happened if I brought an ATI GPU and demanded that they do a replacement, they responded with a one liner that they don't do replacement. 

What's astonishing about this article is that Apple sent two lawyers to fight this guys when they could have simply got a replacement laptop, after all, it's not Apple that pays for the replacement laptop it's actually nVidia since it's their defective GPU as the Apple lawyer put it:

"Apple guys said Oh, it wouldnt have cost us anything, Nvidia foots the bill for each board we replace. What a douche. Nvidia was also acting like douche bags when they simply sent a  BIOS fix to Dell and other laptop makers that had the defective 8600\7600 GPU's where it would run the GPU fans faster in order to cool the GPU's more until the "warranty" runs out in that way they wouldn't be responsible for replacing the laptop. 

I am glad I switched over to AMD, I have been doing gaming on this laptop for nearly 4 years and it hasn't been a problem so far. And Dell weren't a bunch of d!cks. When I had a burned pixel on my 17" laptop they replaced the entire screen with a brand new screen. After they installed the screen the laptop wouldn't start up so they replaced the entire MB with a brand new mother board (which means I got a brand new Radeon 3650 because the GPU is built into the mother board (whoot!) not to mention I got a new back covering and bezels. In other words, after a year of use esentially got a brand new laptop. Awesome service from Dell I must say and great GPU form AMD.

It to be fair, ASUS replaced my ASUS G1S (GeForce 8600M) GT into G1SN (GeForce 9500M GS) model. Some ASUS G1S owners has G50 (GeForce 9700M) replacement laptop. My beef is with my other ASUS N80VN (GeForce 9650M GT) 14 inch laptop i.e. after replacing the motherboard, ASUS refused to fix Windows X64 BSOD NVIDIA issues and told me to stay with 32bit Windows.. After that incident, I switch to Sony Vaio VGN-FW45 laptop with Radeon HD 4650M and it's all Radeon HDs after that. I bought my Dell laptop for warranty reasons i.e. our company has an assigned Dell account manager and they have pretty good business service.
GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

It to be fair, ASUS replaced my ASUS G1S (GeForce 8600M) GT into G1SN (GeForce 9500M GS) model. Some ASUS G1S owners has G50 (GeForce 9700M) replacement laptop. My beef is with my other ASUS N80VN (GeForce 9650M GT) 14 inch laptop i.e. after replacing the motherboard, ASUS refused to fix Windows X64 BSOD NVIDIA issues and told me to stay with 32bit Windows.. After that incident, I switch to Sony Vaio VGN-FW45 laptop with Radeon HD 4650M and it's all Radeon HDs after that. I bought my Dell laptop for warranty reasons i.e. our company has an assigned Dell account manager and they have pretty good business service.ronvalencia

Just flash the N80VM BIOS for that laptop and it fixes the problem.

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Xtasy26

[QUOTE="Xtasy26"]

[QUOTE="ronvalencia"]

ronvalencia

It to be fair, ASUS replaced my ASUS G1S (GeForce 8600M) GT into G1SN (GeForce 9500M GS) model. Some ASUS G1S owners has G50 (GeForce 9700M) replacement laptop. My beef is with my other ASUS N80VN (GeForce 9650M GT) 14 inch laptop i.e. after replacing the motherboard, ASUS refused to fix Windows X64 BSOD NVIDIA issues and told me to stay with 32bit Windows.. After that incident, I switch to Sony Vaio VGN-FW45 laptop with Radeon HD 4650M and it's all Radeon HDs after that. I bought my Dell laptop for warranty reasons i.e. our company has an assigned Dell account manager and they have pretty good business service.

Unfortunately my laptop was out of warrany for my GeForce 7600M. Even it was repalced they would have replaced it with another GeFroce 7600M or 8600M because those GPU's are defective by the nature of their pacakging. So, there's a chance it would have become defective again. So, I am glad went with AMD.

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 blaznwiipspman1

i bought an asus z71v laptop back in 2005 http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2346.  First $1500 laptop to crap out on me after only 3 years of usage.  The problem was definitely the gpu, the geforce 6600 go.  Ever since then I never spent that much money on a laptop....nvidia ruined my experience LOL.

godzillavskong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#40 godzillavskong
Member since 2007 • 7904 Posts

kraken2109

Out of the products I've owned between the two, both have been reliable.
comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38671 Posts
[QUOTE="godzillavskong"][QUOTE="kraken2109"][QUOTE="04dcarraher"] AMD being more reliable then Nvidia ? :lol: go back to your RED WOMB.

unless you're privy to closely held reliability data from both companies, there's only anecdotal evidence to support either claim as to which is more reliable.
GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 GummiRaccoon

[QUOTE="godzillavskong"][QUOTE="kraken2109"] Let's all calm down guys, none of you truly know which is more reliable.comp_atkins

unless you're privy to closely held reliability data from both companies, there's only anecdotal evidence to support either claim as to which is more reliable.

There are failure numbers out there go ahead and check those out.

Also a good way to figure out how long the company expects the card to last is just by looking at the length of the warrantee.  Basically the warrantee covers failures that would be considered outliers.

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 blaznwiipspman1

[QUOTE="godzillavskong"][QUOTE="kraken2109"] Let's all calm down guys, none of you truly know which is more reliable.comp_atkins

anecdotal evidence? My god man, the oven baking technique was invented because of the geforce 8000 cards, and the multiple class action lawsuits against nvidia also say something about their hardware quality.  I don't know how their quality is now, but a few years ago it was awful.

LordEC911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 LordEC911

anecdotal evidence? My god man, the oven baking technique was invented because of the geforce 8000 cards, and the multiple class action lawsuits against nvidia also say something about their hardware quality.  I don't know how their quality is now, but a few years ago it was awful.blaznwiipspman1

Don't forget about them going cheap on their VRMs and PWMs the last couple of generations.

gmaster456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#45 gmaster456
Member since 2008 • 7569 Posts

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

[QUOTE="Cyberdot"]

Personal opinion.

Cyberdot

Then you'd also be wrong.
Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#46 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

I wanted to buy it.

Guess I'm too late...

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#47 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

I wanted to buy it.

Guess I'm too late...

Gaming-Planet

Better luck next time!

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 ronvalencia

i bought an asus z71v laptop back in 2005 http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2346. First $1500 laptop to crap out on me after only 3 years of usage. The problem was definitely the gpu, the geforce 6600 go. Ever since then I never spent that much money on a laptop....nvidia ruined my experience LOL.

blaznwiipspman1

My other 14 inch ASUS N80VN (GeForce 9650M GT) is recently generating green and black screen of death. http://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-N80VN.13491.0.html

It would be my second ASUS laptop powered by NVIDIA GPU to die i.e. my first one being ASUS G1S (GeForce 8600M GT). http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3728&review=Asus+G1S

My company issued ASUS W3J (Radeon X1600M, 2Ghz Intel Core 1 Dual Core) still works. http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2995

PS; my income tax pays for my laptops.