I feel sick while playing certain games

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Shatilov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 0

#1 Shatilov
Member since 2005 • 4150 Posts

Mirror's Edge / Zombie Driver / Any game with 3D Ready (nVision & stuff)

Mirror's Edge, idk y but I start to get a stomachache, & after a while I start feeling the need to throw up, a strong headache hits me. I feel like I'm motion sick !!!

Zombie Driver, I get a headache & then I feel like I need to stop. can't continue anymore .

& whn i enable 3D in the games my eyes start ****ing each other, & then i start to feel that the glasses are heavy on my noes, & it starts to hurt/annoy in the area between your nose & eyes.. so I disable 3D & remove the glasses, & continue normally.

I guess that it is a problem related to nVidia's TWIMTBP ready games (3D nVision, Physics common in most games, AA is better on UE3 games, etc..) :P
It could be anything, but these above cought my attention.

but seriouslly do u guys sometimes feel like me in certain games ?

fudgeblood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 fudgeblood
Member since 2008 • 3165 Posts
You're just getting motion sickness, very common in gaming and I know alot of people who get it too. (There was lots of chaos about the motion blur and head bobbing in ArmA 2 making people sick too). This is the reason why they suggest you take breaks from the computer every now and then.
Avatar image for Gamesterpheonix
Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Gamesterpheonix
Member since 2005 • 3676 Posts
lol whats wrong with you GPAddict. Wanna screw with people go somewhere else. Civility please. Use at least a tenth of your brain. Anyway going back to the OP. It could be the explosions. You know the flashing lights and the constant movement? Like the guy above me it could be motion sickness. If you're wearing headphones it could also be that. Your cochlea controls most of your balance. If your balance is messed up you feel that sickness. I know if Ive got headphones on for too long something gets messed up. Id advise getting up and walking around if you feel sick. Also trying closing your eyes. If this all gets worse Id say talk to your doctor about possible other problems. It may be minor but it could also be a bit more of a problem. Not to scare you of course. I myself try to stay from meds and going to the doctor as much as I can. Maybe its a macho thing but I just dont want to get addicted to anything and the less drugs you have in your system the better for you. *shrug*.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
Nope, nobody how distorted anything is on my screen, I'm always fine.
Shatilov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Shatilov
I think I should've mentioned that I start feeling this way when i start playing the game, not after an hr or so. In less than 10/15 min from starting to play with these game I get the feeling that I must stop.
dsgsdfgf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 dsgsdfgf
Member since 2005 • 1004 Posts

I usually feel sick after playing games with too narrow fov. HL2 was horrible til I changed the fov to 90.

pecanin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 pecanin
Member since 2008 • 863 Posts

Dramamine helps if taken one hour before you start playing.

i had similar experience whilst playing first Ghost Recon and tried everything

without success, and then doctor friend of mine (also gamer) suggested changing the way i sit

and to have one foot on the floor all the time,and it helped.You can also try changing camera angle if possible.

crazymonkey092

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 crazymonkey092
Member since 2005 • 974 Posts

I usually feel sick after playing games with too narrow fov. HL2 was horrible til I changed the fov to 90.

dsgsdfgf
yup I was about to say that it could be the narrow FOV in those games like how HL2 is. I really dont get why devs like to put 75 as the normal FOV, it really should be 90+. Really even with widescreen it should be upwards to 100-120(although 120 prob too much). Still though, besides the low FOV, it could be the head bob and just you not being used to those certain movements in the game. As for ME, i doubt you can turn anything off as I guess its supposed to make u feel like your running, but for you, its prob not going well. Hopefully there is some kind of fix to tone it down, if not keep trying maybe U'll get used to it.
Shatilov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Shatilov
[QUOTE="dsgsdfgf"]

crazymonkey092
yup I was about to say that it could be the narrow FOV in those games like how HL2 is. I really dont get why devs like to put 75 as the normal FOV, it really should be 90+. Really even with widescreen it should be upwards to 100-120(although 120 prob too much). Still though, besides the low FOV, it could be the head bob and just you not being used to those certain movements in the game. As for ME, i doubt you can turn anything off as I guess its supposed to make u feel like your running, but for you, its prob not going well. Hopefully there is some kind of fix to tone it down, if not keep trying maybe U'll get used to it.

I've finished Mirror's Edge, I played it one checkpoint at a time :P
Frenzyd109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#11 Frenzyd109
Member since 2007 • 2276 Posts
I've never felt sick playing a game before. I have gotten headaches from playing too long, but thats obvious
adrake4183

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 adrake4183
Member since 2006 • 668 Posts
Portal makes me sick every time. :(
Dark_prince123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 Dark_prince123
Member since 2008 • 1149 Posts
I used to feel dizzy bcak in Doom and Blood Days when I was young
jon2jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 jon2jon
Member since 2008 • 409 Posts

when i play dark messiah i start to feel sick. i think its the same as half life 2, so how do you change the fov, is it a mod?

supermanmega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 supermanmega
Member since 2009 • 115 Posts

i feel sick while i play pac-man =/ it must be to fast for me

lol no dude i dont get sick idk u must get motion sick very easy

XtcmeLS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 XtcmeLS
Member since 2009 • 106 Posts
You can buy some over the counter medicine that will remove most of that feeling, Also, try sitting just a little farther back from monitor. If eyes have a good solid Object in view, the motion on the screen is less, On the ocean, when ya get sea sick, you stare at the far eadge of water (that is solid line in horizon) and you can reduce sea sickness to almost nothing.
siafni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 siafni
Member since 2005 • 629 Posts

That happens to me too, that's one of the reasons why I stay away form FPS... besides the fact that I'm sick of them :)

RadioGooGoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 RadioGooGoo
Member since 2007 • 253 Posts

Its pretty common. And the most innocuous of games can set it off apparently too. It doesn't have to be just fast paced FPS or whatnot. Solution really is to stop playing said games. Or play it in bursts if you're really keen on finishing it.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#19 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10591 Posts
Hmm, strange. I don't get Simulation Sickness (its proper name) playing games like Mirror's Edge and Portal, but I do when playing Gears of War and Resident Evil 5, which has forced me to limit the amount of time I can play those games before I have to take a break. I remember how a Mirror's Edge dev once talked about how they added a reticle to alleviate this problem. Maybe that worked on me, and maybe that's the difference between the games. I have heard of medicine that can help, but drowsiness is a concern.
Eiyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 Eiyer
Member since 2009 • 93 Posts
I gotta say I don't think you can blame the game or glasses for making you sick, they don't do anything to you to cause that, it doesn't put anything into your body. Not being an ass, just saying, you probably are prone to motion sickness and these games may do that to you more than other stuff does. My ex couldn't play FPS's or Racing games cause they made her want to throw up.
Darksonic666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#21 Darksonic666
Member since 2009 • 3482 Posts
No i never feel sick when playing games my eyes hurt some times but not that bad my advice stop playing video games and see a doctor
Born_Lucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Born_Lucky
Member since 2003 • 1730 Posts

Motion sickness while playing games is a common problem, and has been well known for years.Someone already mentioned that a narrow fov can contribute to this. Most people have experienced motion sickness at different degrees, while playing fps.

Some games are worse than others.

Dante2710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#23 Dante2710
Member since 2005 • 63164 Posts
Its called motion sickness, Valve games are notorious for causing this as well. I usually get rid of it by eating while im playing.
Freak2121GTAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 Freak2121GTAF
Member since 2008 • 697 Posts
Its called motion sickness, Valve games are notorious for causing this as well. I usually get rid of it by eating while im playing. Dante2710
This is the best solution.Also extreme motion blur is the only thing that gives me motion sickness.
Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Threesixtyci
Member since 2006 • 4451 Posts

I don't own any of those games that the OP listed, but HL2 gives me motion sickness for some reason... No other FPS I've ever played does that to me... I suspect it's the colors, or maybe the Slippery type movements the game tends to use.

dont-read-this

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 dont-read-this
Member since 2009 • 825 Posts
Motion Sickness, I don't have it because I've been gaming as long as I can remember, usually people who don't game very much or haven't gamed in a long time have it, though there are people who'll always be sick. I haven't tried the 3d stuff, though.
guidotwofive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 guidotwofive
Member since 2009 • 91 Posts

I used to get a headache but not anymore :)