I can't get into StALKER.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

I have been trying really hard to get into this game but I just can't. I just find the start of the game to be insanely boring so far. the combat is way to hard and im playing on just normel. I just can't compete with most of the enemys who are using much better armor and weapeons then me.

Am I doing something wrong? And does this game get any better?

Aelius28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Aelius28
Member since 2006 • 54 Posts
Yeah, it was the same for me. Just so bleak and boring. I felt like I was dropped half-way into the game, since I had no idea what was going on. No idea what county I was in, what these anomalies are, who these stalkers are, I didn't know anything. What made me quit was when I was helping out another stalker fend off a bandit raid and some more bandits came in from the back and wouldn't stop coming. They were clearly scripted to just keep coming in, so I had wasted all of my ammo and health to no end.
Jekken6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Jekken6
Member since 2008 • 2642 Posts

It does have a steep learning curve

machiavell8x8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 machiavell8x8
Member since 2008 • 1399 Posts
i highly suggest getting the stalker complete 2009 mod. as for being hard, what you need to realize is what you really are. you need to think like your "really" the stalker, your really the charactor in the game. once you do that, then you'll realize the game is actually much much easier. you gotta play it how they intended, your sopposed to use cover, your sopposed to use lean left and right, your sopposed to aim your shots well and conserve ammo. and most of all, your sopposed to feel stranded and alone, stalking your enemys. as for the annomlies, if you read the back of your dvd case, the manuel, or even the subtitle to the game there are plenty of hints as to what they are. a nuclear reactor exploded, and in its wake, is what you see. "annomiles" or however you spell it lol, and in your map screen there are tabs that give you more hints, as well as characters you talk to. when you get half way through, or towards the end you get a bit better idea about them. stalker is actually one of my favorite shooters, its ment to be hard at first, even in the first town the men there say most people don't last long out in the zone.
Jinroh_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Jinroh_basic
Member since 2002 • 6413 Posts

i've had the game for almost a year, but i onlystarted playing it seriously a while ago. i must admit, it's better than i initially thought it was - much better. once i got over the slow start, things picked up tremendously. there's alot of trial and error involved, and sure enough it's not gonna be everyone's cup of tea. but those who look forsandboxfps with (semi)realistic gunplayand an atmospheric setting need not look further.

PS. don't forget about the Oblivion Lost mod ( currently in v2.2 ). it's supposed to overhaul the entire game to bring it closer to the dev's original concept.

PTMags

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 PTMags
Member since 2006 • 783 Posts

It's pretty unforgiving early on, one shotgun blast can kill you. Stick with it though, it's worth it imo. Personally I find the difficulty/"realism" a refreshing change of pace from most modern run and gun health recharge systems.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

I played Stalker Clear Sky, and I liked it a lot more than the original STALKER but I played clear sky with all the newest patches. It is HELLA fun, I got bored at first, and it was hard, really hard. STALKER first one I can play on master, but the master setting on that is basically the equivelent of the normal setting on Clear Sky, it's pretty hard, I beat it. You just have to think life sucks >.< Then you get into it :D

Jinroh_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Jinroh_basic
Member since 2002 • 6413 Posts

to be fair, Stalker: SoC has its share of flaws. the enemy AI, while functional, is not nearly as good as the fans claim. It tries to beunpredictable, sure, but you can always count on the enemies to make the wrong decisions. coupled this handicap with the better weapons you'd get eventually, and you'd find a very unchallenging game in Stalker very soon.

A number of otherproblemsfurther detractthe fun in the game -- the extreme scarcity of decent traders forces you travel back and forth over great distances; the translation is one of the worst jobs i've seen on video gaming; the artifacts, which are supposed to be the big deal of the zone, are by and large useless, having little impact on the overall gameplay. many other minor technical problems still persist even at version 1.0006, and it feels like GSC has pretty much left the work for the community to pick up. fortunately, the community is doing a great job so far, churning out mods after mods that change the game for the the better.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#9 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

It honestly took me a few hours to start enjoying the game alot. At first i felt a bit underwhelmed, but with alot of games, they get better the further you get into them. At least in my opinion. It is a great game and one worth playing all the way thru imo, as you might enjoy the game alot later on.

mirgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mirgamer
Member since 2003 • 2489 Posts
STALKER is a thinking man's FPS. Its not linear, the action are a bit more subdued (make no mistake, still alot of action going on). If you're playing it like a linear FPS like COD 4, you will never figure out what you're supposed to do. If thats not your thing, you either move on or open your mind to new things.
Juggernaut140

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Juggernaut140
Member since 2007 • 36011 Posts

I have been trying really hard to get into this game but I just can't. I just find the start of the game to be insanely boring so far. the combat is way to hard and im playing on just normel. I just can't compete with most of the enemys who are using much better armor and weapeons then me.

JangoWuzHere
Stop attacking people who are better armed than you then. You can avoid a lot of conflicts in this game. Once you get an AK and a decent piece of armor, you'll be set.
JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 JangoWuzHere
[QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"]

Juggernaut140
Stop attacking people who are better armed than you then. You can avoid a lot of conflicts in this game. Once you get an AK and a decent piece of armor, you'll be set.

Dude all I am fighting are bandits. And the reason I fight them is because their in my way or im trying to protect other stalkers.
Juggernaut140

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Juggernaut140
Member since 2007 • 36011 Posts
[QUOTE="Juggernaut140"][QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"]

JangoWuzHere

Dude all I am fighting are bandits. And the reason I fight them is because their in my way or im trying to protect other stalkers.

Bandits only have pistols or double barreled shotguns :| You might come across one with an MP5 or an AK-74 every now and again but that's rare. When you find those carriers, PICK. UP. THEIR. WEAPONS. It's vital.
DigitalExile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DigitalExile
Member since 2008 • 16046 Posts

Yeah, it was the same for me. Just so bleak and boring. I felt like I was dropped half-way into the game, since I had no idea what was going on. No idea what county I was in, what these anomalies are, who these stalkers are, I didn't know anything. What made me quit was when I was helping out another stalker fend off a bandit raid and some more bandits came in from the back and wouldn't stop coming. They were clearly scripted to just keep coming in, so I had wasted all of my ammo and health to no end.Aelius28
Then you obviously didn't pay attention.

You wake up with amnesia.

You're in Ukraine (where else would Chernobyl be?), you don;t even need the game to know this.

In regards to anomolies, they're not hard to pick up on what they do. Use the BOLTS to test them if you're unsure.

STALKERs are basically just people living within the zone. Everyone from the "Loners" to the military are considered STALKERs. I'm not sure where this is described but little research would give you the answer.

You don't know anything because you didn't try to learn.

Glitch/bug perhaps. since I don't remember anything like that.

The fact of the matter is that people who try to play the game without looking for a UT deathmatch highly enjoy it.

Of course enemies are going to be more difficult. You just got into The Zone (sort of), you have an everyday jacket and a pistol you get given, whereas you're fighting people who have been there much longer than you, they've killed and scaveneged to get the weapons and armour they have and you have to do the same. Once you get an AK the game becomes much easier.

What GCS wanted the player to do was "role play" (like geeks), to pretend that we've just been thrown in the zone with nothing, and act like we would in real life. We'd kill, we'd explore, we'd scavenge, we'd go where we shouldn't in search of riches.

If you refuse to take the intiative then of course you'll be left wondering what's going on.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts

You're not going to like every game.

machiavell8x8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 machiavell8x8
Member since 2008 • 1399 Posts
$20 says anyone who doesn't like stalker, loves oblivion and thinks its better than morrowind. just a hunch :)
Bumzur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Bumzur
Member since 2009 • 560 Posts
I didn't like it at first. Came back to it a month later - I loved it. It's also not that difficult at all. I breezed through it on the highest difficulty. In fact, I couldn't imagine playing it on any less.
True_Sounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#18 True_Sounds
Member since 2009 • 2915 Posts
Yeah I just started playing STALKER as well, and 6 hours in I still couldn't force myself to like it. Luckily I plodded on and it got better and better. Once you get the assault rifle that's all you'll be using. Get a scope asap, and hit '9' to toggle auto off. What frustrated me the most was the horrible shooting mechanism which made the beginning so painful, but once you set up a gun properly life gets alot easier and the game starts to get fun. Word of advice: pick up the light items that are also valuable, and any artifacts you can find. Whenever you run into STALKER's sell the stuff you don't need (ie artifacts, medkits, and those radiation syringes) so you can stay under 50lbs and make cash fast. Stick with a pistol and 1 other gun, and think about dropping the pistol and all it's ammo because that extra weight might not be as useful as a lighter pack
Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10490 Posts

it took me a few hours to really get going with it too. think it helped finding the stalker suit in the roof of the end house in the starting village for some protetcive armour. once you make a bit of progress you really begin to appreciate what its all about

jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 jimmyjammer69
Member since 2008 • 12239 Posts

I got exactly the same thing first time I played. It's not a game that immediately grabs everyone, and the amount of ground you'll be covering on foot can really ruin it if you're not blessed with saintly patience.

But I'd really advise you soldier on for a bit, because this game really will creep up on you, and when it does, it won't let go easily. There's something about the combat which makes STALKER sooo satisfying, and you'll find the sparsity of the storyline elements makes the environment deeply immersive; there are few games where I've cared so much about my character's survival.

Really, if you can't get into it first time around, give it another chance a little while later because it's a slow starter which really blooms after a couple of hours of play.

TheCrazed420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 TheCrazed420
Member since 2003 • 7661 Posts
STALKER and Morrowind are so alike in the way I responded to them initially. When you get dropped into the world with no clear direction, its a bit confusing and intimidating at first. But as you uncover more of the world,get accustomed to your character and get a bit stronger, it draws you in like nothing else.
GPAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 GPAddict
Member since 2005 • 5964 Posts

I can't get into StALKERJangoWuzHere

I couldn't either, but I am running the 2009 Complete mod and giving it another go, it seems a little better, and yeah it is hard. Quick-Save is your friend. :)

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

It is a VERY good idea to get OL for Stalker Soc, mainly for the weapons and armor repair...

If you are in a bind, I can help you out with alittle secret ;)

In the Village, at the very start, climb up the ladder next to the character named wolf (he sets you up with a handgun) and edge out on the roof.

Then sprint and jump to the house nearest the entrence, and look for a hole in the roof, there is some crates, shoot them.

One of the crates hold a Merc suit, which will turn alot of battles early on, it protects VERY well against bullets.

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

OL changes the game too much. Not to mention many features are broken (try talking to *that* mutant) or annoying - the hordes of dogs weren't enough, so they added hordes of cats too!

Complete 2009 is a good mod for a first playthrough, OL, Priboi Story and the others are good for replaying.

Avatar image for Charles_Dickens
Charles_Dickens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Charles_Dickens
Member since 2009 • 1693 Posts

The developer of the original STALKER didn't even consider the newbie gamer, and went straight for the hardcore enthusiast. There's no hand-holding in this game, a la Assassin's Creed, in which the entire game is virtually a training mission. Training for what? Bring on the damned game already!

In STALKER they throw you in at the deep end, and I found it to be rather exhilarating.

Angry_Mushroom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Angry_Mushroom
Member since 2009 • 708 Posts
No idea what county I was in, what these anomalies are, who these stalkers are, I didn't know anything. Aelius28
County or country? Its in Ukraine. As for the county... well I really couldn't tell you.
Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Threesixtyci
Member since 2006 • 4451 Posts
What I didn't like about Stalker, besides not getting any of the jokes and random banter, since they're all speaking Russian; was the auto accepting of missions. Most often I'd trigger one of those auto missions, while I was doing a time based mission of my own choosing. And end up breaking a perfect completion rating, because I didn't have the time to do both, at the same time. What's worse is those auto acceptance missions usually have you treking back all the way to the first location/camp to talk to that chicken eating guy.... And then your reward is some useless item... like gernades or something.... In fact, almost all the rewards in the game were pretty lame. I mean, you'd always find much better stuff in the field.... Didn't like the scope that much either... It took up about 1/4 of the screen when just holding the rifle...
Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

[QUOTE="Aelius28"]No idea what county I was in, what these anomalies are, who these stalkers are, I didn't know anything. Angry_Mushroom
County or country? Its in Ukraine. As for the county... well I really couldn't tell you.

I can answer that - it's in the Kiev Oblast (oblast meaning region or province).

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 JangoWuzHere

Well im using the 2009 complete mod and I think STALKER is a little better now. It looks better and sounds better which makes me more interersted.

However I did kill the millitary blockade because I didn't want to pay the fee every time and one of my STALKER contacts did die. Does it effect anything in the game if they are dead?

fu114u70m471c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 fu114u70m471c
Member since 2009 • 50 Posts

Well im using the 2009 complete mod and I think STALKER is a little better now. It looks better and sounds better which makes me more interersted.

However I did kill the millitary blockade because I didn't want to pay the fee every time and one of my STALKER contacts did die. Does it effect anything in the game if they are dead?

JangoWuzHere
No, dont worry about fox after hes said what he needs to say.
JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 JangoWuzHere
[QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"]

fu114u70m471c
No, dont worry about fox after hes said what he needs to say.

Ok thanks.
Aelius28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Aelius28
Member since 2006 • 54 Posts
$20 says anyone who doesn't like stalker, loves oblivion and thinks its better than morrowind. just a hunch :)machiavell8x8
Not me. I didn't care for STALKER (as I posted on the first page of this thread) and also think Oblivion is the worse game with respect to the ratio of how popular it is and how good it is. Its popularity does not merit its content, and it will probably forever baffle me it is that this game gets so much goddamn attention. I've heard STALKER compared to Assassin's Creed. I also did not like Assassin's Creed. It was a shoddy console port, with ridiculous AI that just wanders the city in circles. The whole modern-day twist with the memory was just stupid, and the storyline was soul-crushingly repetitive, just sitting on a bench getting intel.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 49724972
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

[QUOTE="machiavell8x8"]$20 says anyone who doesn't like stalker, loves oblivion and thinks its better than morrowind. just a hunch :)Aelius28
Not me. I didn't care for STALKER (as I posted on the first page of this thread) and also think Oblivion is the worse game with respect to the ratio of how popular it is and how good it is. Its popularity does not merit its content, and it will probably forever baffle me it is that this game gets so much goddamn attention. I've heard STALKER compared to Assassin's Creed. I also did not like Assassin's Creed. It was a shoddy console port, with ridiculous AI that just wanders the city in circles. The whole modern-day twist with the memory was just stupid, and the storyline was soul-crushingly repetitive, just sitting on a bench getting intel.

unfortunatly it;s because of you developers/greedy m*%(^ create retarded games....so that you can play them so that you will buy them.

There's a litle quote for you "yes...tehy are fools, but they are many"