I can't fit my third card!! Need a Dual Slot Cooler.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by ShadowDeathX (11613 posts) -

So I was forced to upgrade. The 3770k, I had for a short way, fried up only a day after use. I don't know. I also got a broken 3770k before that. Bad Ivy Bridge luck. So I went with Sandy Bridge - E.

Anyways, I was informed by Newegg that the board I recieved (which was yesterday) would support three cards (with one slot spacing in between each). Well that wasn't the case. The middle slot is a PCI-E Gen 2 Slot at x1 with a x16 form factor. So no good for a GPU.

The motherboard I have supports 4 GPUs on a 4 PCI-E Gen 3 lanes. x16/x8/x8/x8. I can fit FOUR dual slot GPUs. The problem is; my current cards are two and half slots big.

TLDR: Is there any aftermarket AIR coolers out there that will allow me to shrink the size of my 2.5 slot GPU into a Dual Slot GPU? All I keep seeing is AiO Liquid GPU Coolers or  Triple Slot Air Coolers.

I Need a Dual Slot Cooler for my 7970. :)

The other option is to get water loop done but my case doesn't have enough space for a large enough rad.

#2 Posted by FaustArp (1036 posts) -

Shadow, did you find a solution?

I don't know of anything to tell you to help, but I was wondering if you got it resolved...

#3 Posted by clyde46 (49048 posts) -
Case not big enough for a rad? Mount the sucker on the outside!
#4 Posted by ShadowDeathX (11613 posts) -

Shadow, did you find a solution?

I don't know of anything to tell you to help, but I was wondering if you got it resolved...

FaustArp
No no. Didn't find one. I would have to buy a reference cooler and "downgrade" my card. I might sell my 7970's though and maybe buy two of Nvidia's newer 7xx cards (if launched within a month).
#5 Posted by ShadowDeathX (11613 posts) -
Case not big enough for a rad? Mount the sucker on the outside!clyde46
I don't like that lol. The case I has can fit a 360mm + 240mm + 140mm rad. Would 740mm of RAD area (let's assume the non-thick rads), be enough to cool a 3930k and 3 7970s?
#6 Posted by clyde46 (49048 posts) -
[QUOTE="clyde46"]Case not big enough for a rad? Mount the sucker on the outside!ShadowDeathX
I don't like that lol. The case I has can fit a 360mm + 240mm + 140mm rad. Would 740mm of RAD area (let's assume the non-thick rads), be enough to cool a 3930k and 3 7970s?

I would imagine so.