I am running games with a 1.6 GHz Processor...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by MechWarrior324 (175 posts) -

And the majority of the games say the minimum requirements are a 2 GHz/3 GHz CPU.

How am I running them? lol

The CPU is an Athlon II x2 250u

#2 Posted by demonic_85 (1395 posts) -

You have a dual core processor, most games list a 2.4Ghz to 3.0Ghz pentium 4 or equiv which is a single core processor.

#3 Posted by MechWarrior324 (175 posts) -

You have a dual core processor, most games list a 2.4Ghz to 3.0Ghz pentium 4 or equiv which is a single core processor.

demonic_85

Oh I see now. lol

So it's better to have more cores than speed.

#4 Posted by fishing666 (2113 posts) -

[QUOTE="demonic_85"]

MechWarrior324

Oh I see now. lol

um, no
#5 Posted by ionusX (25757 posts) -

[QUOTE="MechWarrior324"]

[QUOTE="demonic_85"]

fishing666

Oh I see now. lol

um, no

well sort of different cpu's are equivalent in some cases

for example a core 2 duo e7400 2.8ghz is better than a 3.0ghz pentium D or pentium 4 and doesnt result in slowdown in games that need a dual core 3.0ghz or w/e

id be concerned though with anything that reqires a core 2 duo or athalon II x2 over your clock speed.

#6 Posted by jernas (1514 posts) -

And the majority of the games say the minimum requirements are a 2 GHz/3 GHz CPU.

MechWarrior324

Which games are you running exactly? I don't think GTA 4, ARMA 2, Mafia 2 or any other CPU intensive game will run on that processor without problems.

#7 Posted by koolkeys (371 posts) -

Cores are generally better than speed when you consider modern processors. But it depends on the game. If the game properly utilizes the different cores, than it's better. But if a game doesn't support multi-core, then it will only use a single core. So if that single core isn't very fast(and 1.6gHz is NOT very fast in comparison to anything over the past two years), you will see a massive performance hit.

Brent

#8 Posted by MechWarrior324 (175 posts) -

[QUOTE="MechWarrior324"]

jernas

Which games are you running exactly? I don't think GTA 4, ARMA 2, Mafia 2 or any other CPU intensive game will run on that processor without problems.

Half Life 2, Garry's Mod, Call of Duty: World at War, Tomb Raider Underworld, Need for speed Carbon, and Need for Speed Pro Street. The higher-end games in this list like Underworld andWorld at Warrun decently at lowest settings with this CPU, and the rest run at medium to high settings in most areas.

#9 Posted by gmaster456 (7568 posts) -

[QUOTE="jernas"]

[QUOTE="MechWarrior324"]

MechWarrior324

Half Life 2, Garry's Mod, Call of Duty: World at War, Tomb Raider Underworld, Need for speed Carbon, and Need for Speed Pro Street. The higher-end games in this list like Underworld andWorld at Warrun decently at lowest settings with this CPU, and the rest run at medium to high settings in most areas.

Most of those games requirements are single core, What GPU are you using?
#10 Posted by MechWarrior324 (175 posts) -

[QUOTE="MechWarrior324"]

[QUOTE="jernas"]

gmaster456

It's an integrated Geforce 6150SE, which is pretty crappy, but I plan on upgrading the card soon. lol

#11 Posted by gmaster456 (7568 posts) -

[QUOTE="gmaster456"][QUOTE="MechWarrior324"]

MechWarrior324

It's an integrated Geforce 6150SE, which is pretty crappy, but I plan on upgrading the card soon. lol

Good! Intels Integrated Chipsets are better than that card
#12 Posted by MechWarrior324 (175 posts) -

[QUOTE="MechWarrior324"]

[QUOTE="gmaster456"] Most of those games requirements are single core, What GPU are you using?gmaster456

Yeah, do you think I should get something like an HD 6850 if I plan on gaming at 1440x900? This is all a temporary upgrade and I'm saving up for a whole new build.

#13 Posted by abuabed (6606 posts) -
Why not overclock that thing?
#14 Posted by Iantheone (8242 posts) -

[QUOTE="gmaster456"][QUOTE="MechWarrior324"]

MechWarrior324

Yeah, do you think I should get something like an HD 6850 if I plan on gaming at 1440x900? This is all a temporary upgrade and I'm saving up for a whole new build.

and a new processor along with it otherwise it would be pointless to upgrade to a card like that
#15 Posted by yellosnolvr (19302 posts) -
[QUOTE="MechWarrior324"]

[QUOTE="gmaster456"] Good! Intels Integrated Chipsets are better than that cardIantheone

and a new processor along with it otherwise it would be pointless to upgrade to a card like that

yeah. just get a gts 250 if you really need a new card. even that would get bottlenecked a lot of the time though, as a lot of games are becoming more cpu intensive nowadays, it seems.
#16 Posted by NamelessPlayer (7729 posts) -
You have to consider what architecture those clock speed figures are for. Anything NetBurst-based (Pentium 4/D) is horribly inefficient per clock compared to the Core 2 Duo and everything released since (or AMD's older Athlon XP/64/64 X2, for that matter, but those in turn are weaker per clock than Core 2). Only after you consider that, you can then worry about whether it'll only use one or both cores.
#17 Posted by gmaster456 (7568 posts) -
Is this a prebuilt computer?
#18 Posted by MechWarrior324 (175 posts) -

Is this a prebuilt computer?gmaster456

Yes, it has pretty nice specs though, besides the CPU and GPU, but it's upgradable.

Do you know if it's possible to upgrade a store-bought PC's cpu though?

#19 Posted by gmaster456 (7568 posts) -

[QUOTE="gmaster456"]Is this a prebuilt computer?MechWarrior324

Yes, it has pretty nice specs though, besides the CPU and GPU, but it's upgradable.

Do you know if it's possible to upgrade a store-bought PC's cpu though?

Depends what you want to upgrade it to.
#20 Posted by C_Rule (9816 posts) -

[QUOTE="demonic_85"]

MechWarrior324

Oh I see now. lol

There is no real straight answer to this, it depends on a lot of things.
#21 Posted by JimmyJumpy (2554 posts) -

[QUOTE="MechWarrior324"]

[QUOTE="demonic_85"]

C_Rule

Oh I see now. lol

There is no real straight answer to this, it depends on a lot of things.

Yep. Sometimes, like with Packard-Bell or Siemens pre-builds, you can't even add a second hard drive because there's no spot reserved for one inside the case... It all depends on the brand and their upgrading policy...

#22 Posted by amirzaim (1720 posts) -
If you're using a cpu which is below 2.0 Ghz, you may likely to find some low-end games that doesn't use too much cpu and RAM sources like old games for sure, but some newer or latest games could be able to run on a cpu which have a lower clock speeds. For example, i have my slim laptop which using an intel celeron cpu which is single-core and the cpu clock speed is only 1.2 Ghz, but able to run Devil may Cry 4 even in very low graphic settings. Note that the graphical level influencing the performance of your pc and if you set it too high the graphical level, some lower speeds cpu couldn't stand of these and sometimes it would cause a crash on your game.
#23 Posted by MechWarrior324 (175 posts) -

Well I've been doing research on my motherboard, and it's safe to upgrade to an Athlon II x2 with 2.7 GHz, or maybe even higher as long as it's a dual-core Athlon chip. So I think I'll replace my old CPU before upgrading.

#24 Posted by jedinat (3560 posts) -
Just wait to get a new computer... when upgrading your processor and gpu, you'd likely need a new psu as well... and there's no sense on letting your current motherboard dictate the processor you buy when you're planning on getting a whole new PC eventually... an in all honesty "it has pretty nice specs though, besides the CPU and GPU" doesn't cut it. Because that's pretty much all the specs that matter right there. RAM matters of course, but these days it seems every PC on the market has more ram than it needs... probably because it's become one of the "showy" specs. 6GB means more to Joe Average than "2.4 quad core" and whatever the heck processors equate to anymore with all the cores screwing up easy comparisons....
#25 Posted by MechWarrior324 (175 posts) -

Just wait to get a new computer... when upgrading your processor and gpu, you'd likely need a new psu as well... and there's no sense on letting your current motherboard dictate the processor you buy when you're planning on getting a whole new PC eventually... an in all honesty "it has pretty nice specs though, besides the CPU and GPU" doesn't cut it. Because that's pretty much all the specs that matter right there. RAM matters of course, but these days it seems every PC on the market has more ram than it needs... probably because it's become one of the "showy" specs. 6GB means more to Joe Average than "2.4 quad core" and whatever the heck processors equate to anymore with all the cores screwing up easy comparisons....jedinat

Well if I's just going to skip to getting a new PC, I'll just build it and save money. I was just wondering if there was any hope for this desktop when it came to upgrading.

#26 Posted by JohnF111 (14187 posts) -

[QUOTE="demonic_85"]

MechWarrior324

Oh I see now. lol

No, a 3.0Ghz dual core will tear the *** off a quadcore at 1.5Ghz... Remember the cores have to be managed and communicate with each other which effectively lowers their performance. CPU's are fairly overestimated for games anyway a good 3.0Ghz dualcore will run just about any game still today unless its a CPU heavy game but even then it won't make too much difference, seen many benchmarks showing a dual-core and high-end six core only have a few framerate of a difference, literally only 4 or 5 fps...

#27 Posted by PieISAwesom3 (25 posts) -

[QUOTE="demonic_85"]

MechWarrior324

Oh I see now. lol

You can't compare different types of CPUs by clock speed alone. This is why those "min 50 ghz" specs are stupid. A Core 2 duo has twice the performance per clock cycle over a Pentium 4? I don't remember the estimated relationship, but that may be it. In any case, that would mean that if a 2.0 ghz Core 2 duo were running on only one core, it would perform similar to a 4.0 ghz Pentium 4.