How well do 2 1080TIs in SLI perform in 4K on modern games? (past 2 years)

Zuon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Zuon
Member since 2008 • 376 Posts

This isn't like my 1070 SLI vs 1080TI question of yesteryear. I'm not looking into buying or upgrading anything - I can't afford to and don't need/want to. I'm content with what I have. I'm just curious to know how two 1080 TIs handle modern games at 4K, since there isn't a single newer card that can match the performance of two of them together.

What are the general FPS ranges of some of the newest games for sale in the past 2 years? Ultra settings results are acceptable and expected, but if anyone knows if there is any FPS difference when dropping down to just High or Medium, I'm curious to know how much of a difference it makes. Please list which game gave this performance as well, if you can. Once again, this is all just for informational purposes, as not many people are crazy enough to try this anyway.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 128

#2  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 11256 Posts

Best to avoid SLI altogether....

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1038166-1080-ti-vs-1080-ti-sli-vs-2080-ti-personal-review/

The only time I would possibly recommend SLI is if you already have the best GPU available and still want/need more power. It is still a hard recommendation because of the issues associated with SLI.

Random_Matt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#3 Random_Matt
Member since 2013 • 4624 Posts

SLI is dead, sell them towards June, buy a 3070 minimum.

Zuon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Zuon

I was going to let this thread die, and I suppose I will after this comment but... the PC community in general frustrates me. I posted this question explicitly stating, "Do not give me buying advice. This is purely informational." And what happens? People give me buying advice. Both here and on Reddit. Do informational youtube channels such as LinusTechTips, JayzTwoCents and BitWit exist on some other realm than the rest of the PC community? Because it seems whenever I ask a question about raw numbers, the only answer I get is "Your question is stupid and not worth it. Buy this and this and this instead."

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 128

#5  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 11256 Posts

@Zuon: My link answered your question. Why are you so interested in 1080 Ti SLI performance anyway?

Zuon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Zuon

@BassMan: Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't notice the link. I guess I glossed over it. Thank you for providing it.

And just knowledge basically. I like seeing how far hardware can be pushed. It's also why I have a fascination with running Half Life 2 and Doom 3 on old 32mb video cards, watching videos of emulators breaking certain games, and researching "impossible ports" like Wolfenstein 3D on the Sega Genesis.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 19672 Posts

@Zuon said:

@BassMan: Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't notice the link. I guess I glossed over it. Thank you for providing it.

And just knowledge basically. I like seeing how far hardware can be pushed. It's also why I have a fascination with running Half Life 2 and Doom 3 on old 32mb video cards, watching videos of emulators breaking certain games, and researching "impossible ports" like Wolfenstein 3D on the Sega Genesis.

RTX cards are a bit of a double-edged sword. I was running games in 4K while I still had dual 1080 TIs and they mostly ran fine. Farcry 5 wasn't a crisp 60+ the whole time but it was playable (usually above 45 at full detail with HDR). I got a perf boost when I moved to dual 2080 TIs but that also makes Ray Tracing feasible which then then causes a perf hit all over again (for supported games).

But to the point in this thread, SLI isn't always supported which means that extra 700-1200 you plop down on a card might not really get you any benefit. Most recently I was annoyed that Control didn't have an SLI profile and forcing it caused instability.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 pyro1245  Online
Member since 2003 • 5748 Posts

SLI is just for show these days.

'Hey lookit all this money I used to have'

If you are considering it - stop. Wait another 6-9 months and get the next-gen high-end card.

Zuon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Zuon

@pyro1245: *facepalm* Stop. Giving. Me. Buying. Advice. I have already stated twice that I am not considering it, I just like numbers. And I've already got them from the previous couple posts, so I'm happy with that. Thank you, Byshop and Bassman, specifically. You guys were very helpful!

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 pyro1245  Online
@Zuon said:

@pyro1245: *facepalm* Stop. Giving. Me. Buying. Advice. I have already stated twice that I am not considering it, I just like numbers. And I've already got them from the previous couple posts, so I'm happy with that. Thank you, Byshop and Bassman, specifically. You guys were very helpful!

What are your system specs?

Zuon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Zuon

@pyro1245: Let me generate a CPU-Z link for you. Thanks for responding calmly by the way. I know the way I've been talking here does imply some frustration, but it's not at anyone in particular, I assure you.

https://valid.x86.fr/przgr3

If that doesn't load for you for whatever reason, I'll also type it below in text form.

Asus Z170-A Motherboard

Intel® Core™ i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz

16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4-2133 RAM in dual channel

Zotac Geforce GTX 1080 Ti Mini @ 1506MHz

Western Digital Black 4TB 7200RPM HDD (storage drive for Windows, Games, and non-essential files)

Western Digital Black 1TB 7200RPM HDD (Storage Drive for Critical and Youtube/work related Files)

Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200RPM HDD (Repurposed Drive from old computer for Windows Paging File ONLY.)

I'm not against SSDs, as I've bought them for clients who really benefit from them, but for my personal uses, I am perfectly content with my current setup.

Windows boots quickly, never chugs or freezes with my hundreds of internet tabs, renders and encodes my edited videos without taking ages to finish, and even plays unoptimized games like Batamn Arkham Knight and Watch Dogs 2 with no world streaming hitches. I don't really need to get my system boot time from a little over a minute down to mere seconds. Everything else is smooth for now, so it isn't my priority at this point in time.

I should also note that while I enjoy playing games in 4K DSR from time to time for the unbeatable anti-aliasing, when I do, I'm fine with lowering the graphics settings to High or Medium. If I want to play on Ultra, I will lower the resolution. It just depends on what I'm in the mood for. (My monitor is a 144hz Acer GN246HL 1080p TN panel. Even with only a 24 inch screen, raising the resolution does make distant objects clearer in a lot of cases, so if I'm playing a game where I'm looking far away a lot of the time, I would bump up the resolution and lower the graphics settings.

When the 30XX cards come out, if they are able to bring 4K at over 100FPS to the table consistently (at HIGH settings minimum), then, and only then, would I likely be ready for a whole new rig.

I also don't overclock. I know how to, I just never really wanted to, hence the non-K Intel i7.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 pyro1245  Online

@Zuon: Nice build!

Pretty similar to mine. I have the I have the 6700k which runs at 4.0 base, 4.2 boost. It's almost 5 years old and still a powerhouse for gaming.

I am gearing up for a new build, but it sure isn't because I need to. I want to check out the new Ryzen stuff. I will be putting the 6700 in my living room PC to replace the 6100 which is finally starting to struggle with games. 6100 ain't no slouch either at 3.8 GHz, but I think most is now using more than 2 cores so it often stutters in games.