How welcoming is the pc community to new players?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Johnmclane26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Johnmclane26
Member since 2016 • 255 Posts

Hi i've recently just purchased my first gaming pc and i'm really looking forward to playing games like squad and arma etc

so i'm just wandering how welcoming the pc community is to a noob like me?

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@johnmclane26: We don't like you, go away.

I'm kidding

Johnmclane26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Johnmclane26

@GTR12: I have a feeling those will be someones exact words once i start playing lol

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 GTR12

@johnmclane26 said:

@GTR12: I have a feeling those will be someones exact words once i start playing lol

I will say that starting with ARMA isn't the best, its a military sim, and it has a ton of controls, other players wont really appreciate if you keep asking.

Start with something simple.

Johnmclane26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Johnmclane26

@GTR12: Yeah i thought that might be the case i'll start with something not so in-depth

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@johnmclane26 said:

Hi i've recently just purchased my first gaming pc and i'm really looking forward to playing games like squad and arma etc

Totallydependson the game. Some communities like The Old Republic MMO for example are great. Others like League of Legends for example are very toxic.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3479 Posts

They are not very welcoming, just very snobby people.

Only joking. They are a helpful bunch :)

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

depends on the game, and even the mode you are playing (casual, hardcore, friendly fire on, etc)...there are so many things that can determine how people will react to you.

I wouldn't say there is anything about the PC community that is any different simply by virtue of being on the PC other than their love of maybe some exclusives.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#9 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17806 Posts

People in general are pieces of shit online. When you have that anonymity with little repercussions for bad behaviour, there will be plenty of douche bags regardless of what you play online. Just try to find good people and add them as friends to make the experience better.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

Like someone else already said, it depends on the game, just like on consoles.

Generally the more competitive the game is, the more potential hostile the game is, while most co-op or smaller games tends to have really great communities, it is from those I would suggest building friend lists.

Overall though, In most games the communities are fairly good. I do hope that you ain't unlucky though

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts

Squad players are very welcoming and are willing to teach you what you need to know as long as you tell them you're new. As for other games I would have no idea. ARMA you need to join a clan to get the hardcore military shooter experience.

urbangamez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 urbangamez
Member since 2010 • 3511 Posts

@BassMan said:

People in general are pieces of shit online. When you have that anonymity with little repercussions for bad behaviour, there will be plenty of douche bags regardless of what you play online. Just try to find good people and add them as friends to make the experience better.

100% truth

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 _SKatEDiRt_
Member since 2007 • 3117 Posts

If you can laugh at trolls and have good sportsmanship in multiplayer games then your all good.

kaealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 kaealy
Member since 2004 • 2179 Posts

The only games that are beyond help are games like League of Legends and DOTA2. Most other online games you can find very good communities, especially if there's servers driven by different communities in different FPS.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

In actual MP? They show no mercy to noobs, that's for sure. I've always been a noob in MP games because I never had time to play consistently to get better, maybe once in a week then not again for a month...etc. So I'm still a noob with online games but I basically quit playing them.

I remember my first time, it was Battlefield 2, my first real online match. The administrator perma banned me cause I didn't really know what I was supposed to be doing. Lol. I remember Crysis Wars, I got cussed out at and called literally every derogatory name and a few I've never heard before just because I sucked at it. I played some online racing game like iRacing or something, I drove slow on the first lap and the second lap I sped up and crashed into someone...it was brutal.How so many people can type and race at the same time is astonishing but by my 4th lap I think, everyone started leaving the server ...because of me. lol.

No, the PC community in general are full of merciless aholes and the console community comes off as just immature. Here's a quote I'll never forget while playing BF 2142, I was trying to swap seats because a passenger was trying to backseat drive. "hey f*** Syks the noob (Sykes was my username) if you can't f**** even know how to swap seats then you need to stop playing PC games and go breast feed some kittens or something". Still cracks me up but I've honestly never met one single PC gamer online that was helpful or even very friendly. Now when you go to forums asking help they can be but doesn't take much to send them into a nerd rage.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@pimphand_gamer said:

In actual MP? They show no mercy to noobs, that's for sure. I've always been a noob in MP games because I never had time to play consistently to get better, maybe once in a week then not again for a month...etc. So I'm still a noob with online games but I basically quit playing them.

I remember my first time, it was Battlefield 2, my first real online match. The administrator perma banned me cause I didn't really know what I was supposed to be doing. Lol. I remember Crysis Wars, I got cussed out at and called literally every derogatory name and a few I've never heard before just because I sucked at it. I played some online racing game like iRacing or something, I drove slow on the first lap and the second lap I sped up and crashed into someone...it was brutal.How so many people can type and race at the same time is astonishing but by my 4th lap I think, everyone started leaving the server ...because of me. lol.

No, the PC community in general are full of merciless aholes and the console community comes off as just immature. Here's a quote I'll never forget while playing BF 2142, I was trying to swap seats because a passenger was trying to backseat drive. "hey f*** Syks the noob (Sykes was my username) if you can't f**** even know how to swap seats then you need to stop playing PC games and go breast feed some kittens or something". Still cracks me up but I've honestly never met one single PC gamer online that was helpful or even very friendly. Now when you go to forums asking help they can be but doesn't take much to send them into a nerd rage.

Depends on the MP game. I've played titles where the community has done nothing but help newcomers.

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 SaintSatan
Member since 2003 • 1986 Posts

@johnmclane26 said:

squad and arma etc

Dear god don't play those as your first PC games. Everyone is going to hate you. Try Battlefield, Star Wars Battlefront, and Call of Duty first.

Ryu_Silveira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Ryu_Silveira
Member since 2017 • 167 Posts

Congratulations on your first gaming PC! As for games, play what you want to play man, if the community sucks, well...the community sucks. Some have more toxic communities than others but you'll always tend to find people who are willing to help you out. If you search for gaming PC forums, I'm sure you can find groups of people to play with and link up. I know my time here, the "PC/Mac/Linux Society" isn't that populated, everyone is over on System Wars...lmao.

Also, if you have friends who game on PC, hit them up! Ask what they play, and join them. I have the most fun on PC playing multiplayer with my friends like Playerunknown or Rainbow Six: Siege.

gmak2442

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 gmak2442
Member since 2015 • 1089 Posts

When I look at PCGAMING on Reddit, it look like there is people that help new PC gamers. I do it too sometimes.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@johnmclane26 said:

Arma 3 is a great game, I recommend on Wasteland mod.

I would also like to recommend on Insurgency.

Feel free to ask questions on Hardware (on Hardware forum) or anything software or game related here.

I don't know how are the communities on official game forums or on Steam, but there're few gaming communities that are known to be bad like LoL or Overwatch

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

Co-operative games (PVE) generally have much more welcoming communities than competitive game (PVP) communities (no shit Sherlock!). Having said that if you join a clan for any game, you'll always meet good and helpful people.

Loan wolf FPS games and MOBA's tend to be the most toxic. MMO's are generally the most welcoming.

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts

Go and play League of Legends as a newbie. If you can survive that community you are all set. It won't get worse.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 GTR12

@PredatorRules: Overwatch is no-where near LoL in terms of community, look at Reddit or the official forums, they are incredibly helpful (like donating PC parts to a guy because he was playing on an old PC).

Or Jeff Kaplan regularly responding to the community.

PopGotcha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24 PopGotcha
Member since 2016 • 716 Posts

Rainbow 6 community I found surprisingly welcoming considering how bad it was on PS4. Battlefield 4 was also pretty solid. Dota 2 verrrrryyyy cancerous. Very cancerous

Johnmclane26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Johnmclane26

Thanks for the advice everyone currently loving insurgency hopefully this will set me up to then play more communication heavy games like squad plus i'm still adjusting to playing keyboard and mouse lol

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#26  Edited By skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

Don't no as don't play MP. In forums there nice though until you ask a question why is this game not running and don't put your specs down, then they become angry about it.

Lavamelon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Lavamelon
Member since 2016 • 849 Posts

You can start with a solo-friendly online game such as Path of Exile, NeverWinter etc, and see how you go. Lots of friendly people playing those games. I play these kinds of games and I have no problems. Yeah, every once in a while you may come across some silly keyboard warriors, but those guys are just cowards who could never say those things to your face.

mastershake575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By mastershake575
Member since 2007 • 8574 Posts

Most games you should have no issue. Alot of multiplayer games have casual (unranked mode) which you can start out on till you get the hang of the game mechanics.

Some games like Players Unknown don't have casual mode but you can simple just play solo mode and once you get the hang of it you can join a squad/duo match with more experienced players

Bluudynuckles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Bluudynuckles
Member since 2015 • 157 Posts

I was a pc master race player about 4 years ago , never got into squads and team playing . But now its a new day and i just recently got a new rig : Intel® Core™ i7-7700K 4.2 / Video Card(NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti - 11GB - MSI ARMOR OC / Windows 10 Pro - 64-bit / MSI Z270 Tomahawk ARCTIC / 32 DDR4-3000 ADATA XPG / DEEPCOOL Captain 120EX 120mm Liquid CPU Coolin / 800 Watt /. So what yall think of my specs plus i picked up an ultrawide Agon 1440p 100hz 34 inch Monitor . As for pc players find one or 2 and the rest will follow.

rakisseia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 rakisseia
Member since 2017 • 17 Posts

thanks for your advice..

Metallic_Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31 Metallic_Blade
Member since 2005 • 565 Posts

Well if you don't care anymore about not owning most of the games that you buy, then... sure it is. Just try not to lose those login credentials.