How to transfer steam downloadING games to a new PC?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 42316
Member since 2006 • 1502 Posts

Hey guys,

I'm downloading X-COM, on a PC that is not mine and it was going well till the internet started freaking out a bit, it's about 40% done, is there anyway I can take those folders and put them on my own pc and get steam to carry on downloading from 40% or am I resigned to starting from fresh?

Thanks!

SerOlmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#2  Edited By SerOlmy
Member since 2003 • 2369 Posts

It is really easy to transfer all your Steam games to a new PC provided you have a secondary hard drive that you can transfer them to.

1. Shut down Steam.

2. Navigate your your Steam directory.

3. Copy the entire "SteamApps" folder to a hard drive you can transfer to the new PC (this will take a while depending on how many games you have).

4. Install Steam on the new PC, then shut down Steam.

5. Copy the all the files in the "SteamApps" folder you transferred to the "SteamApps" folder on the new PC.

6. Boot up Steam, it should recognize the files and begin scanning and optimizing all the games you transferred.

Don't forget to copy all your save files from your My Documents and Saved Games folders in your directory as well.

Alucrd2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3  Edited By Alucrd2009
Member since 2007 • 787 Posts

yes go to the folder you have steam in then \Steam\SteamApps\common you'll find the game there , copy the game , paste it in the other PC you want the game in , now you have to go your library and install it ,thensteam we preload the files automatically .

enjoy .

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

I think that stuff you are currently downloading goes to Steam/SteamApps/downloading. Unless it's already in the common folder in the same SteamApps directory.

The_Funyarinpa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 The_Funyarinpa
Member since 2015 • 504 Posts

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown, the files went there for me. Im not sure if moving them to another computer works cause I've never personally done it, but you can try if you want.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

it works. You just need to restart steam a few times before it says the amount you've downloaded.