How to play Street Fighter IV on PC with Logitech Dual Action gamepad?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by 0ffender (25 posts) -
Hi all, I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to gaming and I'm trying to play Street Fighter IV on PC with a Logitech Dual Action gamepad. For starters, there are a lot of things in "Controller Settings" that don't even make sense to me, have a look here: http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/3810/streetfighterdefault.jpg What is "POV L/R/U/D"? What do they do? What do "LT" "RT" "LB" "RB" stand for? And I don't even have "Z" and "-Z" on my gamepad??? Plus I'm really keen to learn how to perform the ultra combo finish for all the fighters, any guide for PC available yet? Thanks
#2 Posted by DanielDust (15402 posts) -

It even shows you the buttons there, also don't do custom since your controls look pretty messed up, leave it on default, POV is for direction L is left, R is right, U is up and D is down, z refers to the axis in LB, RB etc are the buttons that you have in front of your gamepad, leave it on default if you're not sure about what you're doing.

For combos, why don't you read the manual or go to the combo list of every character that you can find in the menu or in the game if you press escape?

#3 Posted by Pessu (944 posts) -
Cant you see the images? POV = diagonal buttons LT = Left Top, RT = Right Top, LB = Left Bottom, RB = Right Bottom.
#4 Posted by 0ffender (25 posts) -
Thanks guys for your replies, I did warn you I was a noob :-) Daniel - there isn't a "Default" option of the Controller Settings, the first one is "Custom", followed by "Controller Type 1,2,3,etc." And I did refer to the command list for each character but I think because the setting for my control is so messed up to begin with I could only do a couple. There are things I can select in the drop down list like "RX" "RY" "RZ" etc which I don't know about. Based on the screenshot would you be able to tell me the best selection you would go with?
#5 Posted by DanielDust (15402 posts) -

Yep sorry my mistake there, default is/are those presets 1,2,etc use 1 and see if it works out for you, and RX, RY... refers to the right thumbstick, you won't be using it much, if at all, because it has some of the moves that you can do while pressing the buttons on the right.

#6 Posted by 0ffender (25 posts) -
Thanks Daniel, well I'm gonna try figure it out one by one. First question, when a special move instructs left (charge), how am I supposed to achieve this? I tried quickly pressed down left, then right; tried holding down the left and right button down together; also tried to achieve this using the left thumbstick, nothing worked. How does one go left and right and charge?
#7 Posted by DanielDust (15402 posts) -
Thanks Daniel, well I'm gonna try figure it out one by one. First question, when a special move instructs left (charge), how am I supposed to achieve this? I tried quickly pressed down left, then right; tried holding down the left and right button down together; also tried to achieve this using the left thumbstick, nothing worked. How does one go left and right and charge?0ffender
I don't exactly know how to do those myself :P I only did some of them with Blanka by chance and I also play on the keyboard it's WAY better imo, I can have a fun fight on the hardest difficulty on keyboard but on a controller I barely win on easy or normal and I don't exactly hate the controller I play sport games and racing games with it all the time.
#8 Posted by 0ffender (25 posts) -
Thanks Daniel. Anyone? I'm still having no luck at performing the ultras. Surely I'm not the only one playing Street Fighter IV PC version using a Logitech Dual Action gamepad controller?
#9 Posted by kozzy1234 (35966 posts) -

Thinking about getting this game soon hehe, goign to play it with my 360 controller i think though.

Try using a program to set up your controller bud.

#10 Posted by 0ffender (25 posts) -
Hi Kozzy, yep I configured the gamepad with Logitech Profiler. I'm still trying to figure out how to "charge", the command list shows to press down left and right. well that doesn't seem to be happening for me.
Avatar image for edmond_villamor
#11 Posted by edmond_villamor (104 posts) -

Hi I just saw this post and thought I can help. Generally you have to hold around 2 seconds back then press both bunch or kick together with the button. I think the logitech gamepad comes with a round controller and it does not have an 8 button D-Pad so it might be harder to execute since sometimes the commands get mixed up like if you are trying to push forward it will execute a jump instead. I suggest getting the xbox 360 controller or the MadCatz one since these are more precise for your pc gaming. With precise controls this game is the best fighting game you will ever encounter in the PC.

#12 Posted by DanielDust (15402 posts) -

Hi I just saw this post and thought I can help. Generally you have to hold around 2 seconds back then press both bunch or kick together with the button. I think the logitech gamepad comes with a round controller and it does not have an 8 button D-Pad so it might be harder to execute since sometimes the commands get mixed up like if you are trying to push forward it will execute a jump instead. I suggest getting the xbox 360 controller or the MadCatz one since these are more precise for your pc gaming. With precise controls this game is the best fighting game you will ever encounter in the PC.

edmond_villamor
The D-Pad is standard, even the cheapest controller has a D-Pad, only thumb-sticks are "optional", glad it works out for you with the controller but imo the keyboard is way better.
#13 Posted by Kh1ndjal (2748 posts) -
i have a couple questions: 1. Are there no default settings for your logitech controller so that you must bind them from the Logitech profiler? i've noticed that games that dont support it "out of the box" suffer from issues (i tried the logitech profiler with fallout3, was completely messed up. 2. Can this be played 2-player, with 1 player on the keyboard, 1 on a controller?
#14 Posted by faysal_ha (417 posts) -

here is your answer :

x= 4 ( light punch ) y= 1 ( medum punch )

a= 3 ( light kick ) b= 2 ( medum kick )

LT= 5 ( for ultra combo punch ) RT= 6 ( hevypunch )

LB= 7 (ultra combo kick )RB= 8 ( hevy kick )

select=9 start= 10

and for direction i think its easy to set up .

wish that will help .

#15 Posted by -Unreal- (24650 posts) -

I don't get it.

Usually "how to" is the beginning of an answer to a question or a solution to something, not the beginning of a question.

#16 Posted by jjankosky (25 posts) -

I just got this game and was trying to use my very old Logitech Wingman Action Pad too. It would be very nice to get this working as the controller has the six buttons line up classic SF style. But the configuration I am present with is the Xbox style. It doesn't really recognize that I have a "C" and "Z" button on the face. I know it's plder but should be easier than this to work.

#17 Posted by bluecat68 (25 posts) -

here is your answer :

x= 4 ( light punch ) y= 1 ( medum punch )

a= 3 ( light kick ) b= 2 ( medum kick )

LT= 5 ( for ultra combo punch ) RT= 6 ( hevypunch )

LB= 7 (ultra combo kick )RB= 8 ( hevy kick )

select=9 start= 10

and for direction i think its easy to set up .

wish that will help .

faysal_ha

Thanx for that very helpful informations . Currently am using keyboard to play SF IV ( am a ALL time keyboard & mouse gamer no matter its FPS / RPG /RTS / racing game ) and its really a hard time for me to come out those ultra & combo hits by that .

Myself plan to get a X360 alike controller but according to the informations above , i would like to know how to set the button for "throw" & "focus attack" as well if using x360 controller or any other similar controller .

One last thing , is it possible to configure movement on joystick with button on keyboard for single player ?

Thanx for all who concern on this .

Happiness , Healthiness and wealthiness to ALL . ( Hope you guys understand my english ) :D

#18 Posted by Junaidnaeem4 (25 posts) -
I installed street fighter 4 on my laptop. When I click on the controller it says 'Please connect a controller.' Do I have to have a XBOX controller? Can I run it without any controller? Please help! Thanks
#19 Posted by ampiva (1251 posts) -
Yes.