How to play steam games in living room?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Clydefrog92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Clydefrog92
Member since 2008 • 173 Posts

Recent talk about the steam box gave me the idea to bring my pc games to the living room. I generally don't like placying my games with mouse and keyboard or at my desk if they are not an mmo, but I have over 120 steam games from deals that I would like to play. My gaming computer is upstairs but my living room which has about a 68" panasonic screen is downstairs. Is their anyway I could play my steam games down there ithout hooking the computer up to it? I already tried hooking my pc up to it. Plugged it with HDMI cable and also tried VGA but it didnt work. Had it on PC channel on input on the tv.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2  Edited By the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

Don't use the "PC channel" on your TV. My TV also has one of the those, and I don't even know what input it works with. Plug your PC into the TV using HDMI, then just select whichever HDMI port you plugged into, when choosing input on the TV.

As for doing it without hooking the computer up to it at all? No way that I know of. I've heard vague talk that that's something the "steam box" computers are supposed to be able to do, to have the steam box hooked to your TV, streaming games from your main, likely more powerful, PC rig, somewhere else in the house. Seems like a lot of hassle and money just to avoid moving your PC to another room, if you ask me.

Anyway, If you don't mind moving your PC to be within HDMI-cable-range of your TV, just do that.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

@Clydefrog92 said:

Plugged it with HDMI cable and also tried VGA but it didnt work.

Did you use the TV remote to scroll through various Inputs/Sources?

barrybarryk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 barrybarryk
Member since 2012 • 488 Posts

You can fudge together a streaming device (like a DIY Steam Machine) using an Ouya and software like Splashtop 2 or Kainy. I've only used Splashtop, so I can't really speak for Kainy, but Splashtop 2 works fine for most games with minimal (if any) added perceptive latency using the Ouya controller, it's pretty CPU dependant though so if your main PC doesn't have the transcoding chops you'll get performance issues.

It should work with other Android devices as well, an Ouya is just handy because it comes with a controller and that's what I've already tried it with.

jcknapier711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 jcknapier711
Member since 2012 • 470 Posts

@jun_aka_pekto said:

@Clydefrog92 said:

Plugged it with HDMI cable and also tried VGA but it didnt work.

Did you use the TV remote to scroll through various Inputs/Sources?

Yea, that's what I think. He probably just has the wrong input selected. I suppose it's possible he has an old HDTV that doesn't support full HD... ????

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#7 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58837 Posts

I play all my pc games sitting on my bed with a large HDTV. Just use a hardcover book as a mouse mat, works fine.