How to hook up my PC to TV?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by MirkoS77 (12499 posts) -

OK, I've looked around the net and it seems simple enough. I have a GTX 285 and it has two ports, one which is a DVI and is available, the other hooked up to my monitor. I've just ordered a male DVI/female HDMI adapter, should be here soon. What I'm wondering is.....what do I do then? Do I need to install specific software for my PC to output the proper signal to my TV? Is it already built in to the card? I assume the DVI is there with the intention to be used with a TV.

Also, I've read there's regular DVI and "dual link" DVI adapters (the later if I want sound through my TV instead of PC speakers). I've also heard dual links don't work with sound. If not, what are they for? Finally, do I need a special kind of HDMI cable for this? Sorry for the dumb questions, I'm dense when it comes to tech stuff.

#2 Posted by adamosmaki (10546 posts) -
No you dont need a special software Usually the graphics card will recognize the Tv automatically ( if not there is a detect button in nvidia control panel ) and then you go into nvidia panel to set-up your tv to your preferences
#3 Posted by rihsatnum1 (25 posts) -
Some video card has A/V jacks like my video card has and the next step is simple plug and play. If you dont have that option dont try any other way or you will take risk to destroy both computer and tv. Go and buy this kind of graphics card 1099 software1098 software3921 software
#4 Posted by MirkoS77 (12499 posts) -

Thanks. I don't have any Nvidia software on my system, it just shows the GTX in my device manager and says, "working properly". Do I need a certain utility (as I can't find anywhere to set TV settings, etc). All I can find are drivers online, and I seem to remember having to install something that came with my card but have since lost it.

#5 Posted by adamosmaki (10546 posts) -

Thanks. I don't have any Nvidia software on my system, it just shows the GTX in my device manager and says, "working properly". Do I need a certain utility (as I can't find anywhere to set TV settings, etc). All I can find are drivers online, and I seem to remember having to install something that came with my card but have since lost it.

MirkoS77
you only need to install your drivers If you right click on the desktop you should see "open nvidia control panel" or something like that ( i have an AMD gpu so not sure what exactly it says ) among the options If there is no such option then most likely your drivers arent installed and in that case i suggest going to nvidia site download the drivers for your GPU and install them ( quite easy as it install as any other program ) Then you go into nvidia panel by right clicking on an empty area in the desktop and selecting the nvidia control panel and you can configure any options related to your displays/Tv's and graphics within the nvidia panel
#6 Posted by MirkoS77 (12499 posts) -

[QUOTE="MirkoS77"]

adamosmaki

you only need to install your drivers If you right click on the desktop you should see "open nvidia control panel" or something like that ( i have an AMD gpu so not sure what exactly it says ) among the options If there is no such option then most likely your drivers arent installed and in that case i suggest going to nvidia site download the drivers for your GPU and install them ( quite easy as it install as any other program ) Then you go into nvidia panel by right clicking on an empty area in the desktop and selecting the nvidia control panel and you can configure any options related to your displays/Tv's and graphics within the nvidia panel

That's what I was missing. Thanks for the help. :)

#7 Posted by NoodleFighter (8683 posts) -

No it's pretty much plug and play, all though your image may get cut off which happened to me when I first hoked up my PC to an HDTV but that was quickly and easily solved by adjusting the display settings.

#8 Posted by MirkoS77 (12499 posts) -

It says I need to adjust my resolution output to match my TVs. Is there a way to check what my TV is capapble of, or is a standard for HDMI?

#9 Posted by kraken2109 (13271 posts) -

It says I need to adjust my resolution output to match my TVs. Is there a way to check what my TV is capapble of, or is a standard for HDMI?

MirkoS77
Your TV should have a native resolution. Chances are it's either 1366x768 (common on 720p sets) or 1920x1080 (1080p).
#10 Posted by MirkoS77 (12499 posts) -

Great, got it working. Thanks all. I still don't have sound though. :( I thought HDMI supported both? I'm using a DVI to HDMI adapter, so why am I not getting sound through my TV's speakers? I've messed around with the sound settings through Nvidia's control panel to no avail. As I mentioned, I've heard a dul-link adapter is needed, but I've also heard they don't work. Am I going to have to buy a cable that plugs into my speaker jack and then into the back of my TV?

edit: just checked online, found this...

http://www.lotsageeks.com/dvi-to-hdmi-no-sound-on-tv/

Checked my GTX 285 box and found the same wire shown on that site to connect SPDIF/GND to the motherboard. Don't know where the inputs would be. I don't want to mess up my system, but is this the only way to get sound through my HDMI? Any idea?

#11 Posted by kraken2109 (13271 posts) -

Great, got it working. Thanks all. I still don't have sound though. :( I thought HDMI supported both? I'm using a DVI to HDMI adapter, so why am I not getting sound through my TV's speakers? I've messed around with the sound settings through Nvidia's control panel to no avail. As I mentioned, I've heard a dul-link adapter is needed, but I've also heard they don't work. Am I going to have to buy a cable that plugs into my speaker jack and then into the back of my TV?

edit: just checked online, found this...

http://www.lotsageeks.com/dvi-to-hdmi-no-sound-on-tv/

Checked my GTX 285 box and found the same wire shown on that site to connect SPDIF/GND to the motherboard. Don't know where the inputs would be. I don't want to mess up my system, but is this the only way to get sound through my HDMI? Any idea?

MirkoS77
Because you have a GTX 200 series card it is possible to get sound through an HDMI to DVI adapter. You should have tiny port on your card like the one on the right of the two power sockets:  The other end of the cable will go into a couple of tiny pins on your motherboard (or soundcard if it supports it). The location probably differs from mobo to mobo but on mine they're at the bottom right where the other audio headers are.