How to create gaming machine

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CrAzY1312

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 CrAzY1312
Member since 2006 • 164 Posts
I am interested in creating my own gaming machine. I need to know absolutely everything I need to create my own machine. I have never done this before so i am very new I just need to know every pert I will need. Also any suggestions on specific parts would greatly help. Thanks in advance.
gp19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 gp19
Member since 2005 • 4252 Posts
First go to www.newegg.com There look for: - Case - Power Supply - Motherboard - CPU (processor) - Memory (RAM) - GPU (graphics card) - Hard Drive - Disc Drive mmm. I don't think I'm missing anything. Just make sure all your parst are compatible with each other, that you have a power supply with enough power for all your parts (500 at the least for newer builds).
Tagerh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Tagerh
Member since 2009 • 996 Posts

I don't think that will help him, Even though those are the parts he needs, he needs to know what each of them do, and what to look for in each component.

Try this website and read each article on each component:www.build-gaming-computers.com

illharmonics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 illharmonics
Member since 2005 • 5470 Posts
if you're going to start from scratch, which i assume you are you're going to need quite a few things. it also helps us know what your budget is and what parts you may be carrying over to use from older systems i.e. dvd drive, hard drive, etc. you're going to need these key components for sure; mainboard, processor, video card, hard drive, optical drive, power supply, case, and monitor. but like i said, it helps to know how much you're willing to spend in order for us to search parts for you. sites like newegg.com are a great place to browse around.
CrAzY1312

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 CrAzY1312
I have no previous pass on and I play alot of games but i am just getting into PC gaming. I do not know what goes with what or where to even start. It is more affordable then buying from somewhere like HP. My budget im hoping is absolutely no more then $800 but I do not know if that is a realistic goal or not.
illharmonics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 illharmonics
we can def make 800 happen. you're going to be looking down an AMD path with your budget, but even with that you can still build a decent system for 800. like Tagerh said, read into that website to get a feel for components. and if you take your time slowly getting to know stuff you may end up saving a bit more monies in order to get some better parts.
Tagerh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Tagerh

I have no previous pass on and I play alot of games but i am just getting into PC gaming. I do not know what goes with what or where to even start. It is more affordable then buying from somewhere like HP. My budget im hoping is absolutely no more then $800 but I do not know if that is a realistic goal or not.CrAzY1312

LMAO, you can easily make a gaming computer for $800 (without moniter) .

Just don't forget to read the tutorial link that I posted here.

aura_enchanted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8 aura_enchanted
Member since 2006 • 7942 Posts

okay in short u need the following:

cpu

hard drive

cd/dvd drive

motherboard

memory

graphics/video card (simply an alternate name no difference)

powersupply

and a case to put it in.

if you give me a budget i can recommend parts

in short the idea when shooping for parts works like this

cpu: this tiny piece is the "brain" of your computer all data ingoing and outgoing goes into it before its destination. the speed of ones is measured in gigahertz (or Ghz). the higher the speed the fatser it examines and directs data. furthermore modern cpus have what are called cores. having multiple cores means rather than the entire cpu directing everything on its own each"core" deriects and organizes it seperately allowing for even faster data processing. currently cpu's come in 2 3 and 4 cores.

motherboard: this is where all your parts connect into. it is the roadmap for your computer and everything thats attached to it uses it to send data to where it needs to go.

memory: memory is used to store information the computer will need to access in a hurry. such as the next 10 minutes of the movie your watching or the next area your about to enter in a videogame. the more memory u have more it can prepare in advance. currently the best memory for a gaming pc is ddr2-667, ddr2-800, ddr2-1066, ddr3 (dont know the numbers for this sorry). the number after ddr is the number of pins it has and uses when connected, more pins means faster access to that memory

video card: this paints the pretty pictures. it makes images sharper and provides advance visual properties such as cell shading and texture rendering. the best one for you is determined by two factors. 1) your use: if you want to be playing the creme of the visually stunning games you will need a powerful card that runs fast. but if your not like that having one will only make replacing it a delayed reaction and it wont use its full potential it would be wisert to have a less powerful card then. 2) what kind of slot your motherboard has.generally speaking motherboards have a pci-express x16 or pci express x16 2.0 card slot for a video card, but some still have what is know as an agp card slot, these are inferior and should be avoided. furthermore some video cards come in all three slot types meaning u should be careful to ensure you have the right one. pci express x16 and its 2.0 counterpart are interchangeable meaning u can place a x16 card in a 2.0 slot or the other way around.

hard drive. this stores all your information. it stores everything you need to make your computer function (the operating system, the programs you run, etc.) currently these come in 2 different makes, solid state, semi soli, and plug into a motherboard either by a serial ata cable (or sata) or an intermedieate data cable (or ide cable). this also applies to your dvd/cd drive and the two must be the same or you will encounter conflictions between the two. solid state and semi solid are defined typically by there speed solid states hold less but can read and write information at dangerous speeds (10,000 rotations per minute(or rpm)) wheras semi solid hold alot more but are slower (7,200 rpm) both are equally good it really comes down to what you need.

powersupply: this massive part is what powers all your pieces. it turns the energy from your outlets into organized pieces and amplifys them where necissary to all your parts its plugged into. the more and more powerful parts require a powersupply that supplies more power, generally speaking it is best to find one that has a maximum output of 550watts or better.

case: this is the outter shell of your computer it need to be big enough to allow for all your parts and provide room for proper cable organization, as the worst thing is a cluttered computer. generally speaking if your not buying the finest parts money can buy an atx form factor case that provides ample room inside will be fine.

to close here are a few part gidelines you CANNOT IGNORE:

1) video cards come in different slots make sure they match the motherboard

2) cpus come in different speeds and slots as well ensure its fits and provides enough speed to do what u want.

3) memory requires a certain number of pins in the slots for it. make sure it is supported. if you cant find out talk to your parts retailer they should have a list of memory that will work for it.

4) cd/dvd drive and hard drive moth BOTH be sata or ide caable or you will have the two conflict with one another.

hope this has helped. as stated throw me a budget and a list of games you will play on it (or want to play on it) and ill give you some recommended parts.

if you live in the US or canada newegg.ca/com is the best for parts online. oh and heres a video on hom to assemble all your parts if you can ignore the cheesy intro that is: link

aura_enchanted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#9 aura_enchanted
Member since 2006 • 7942 Posts
i also predict someone will shout: "wall of text deals a critical hit" but everything there is the basics to a computer build wether you like it or not.
CrAzY1312

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 CrAzY1312
My budget is no more then $800 for sure I would like to know AMD or Intel and my friend is trying to get me into WOW and i play RTS games and enjy alot of FPS.
illharmonics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 illharmonics
if you want the best bang for the buck so you can stay within your budget and not skimp on anything i highly recommend an amd setup.
Tagerh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Tagerh

if you want the best bang for the buck so you can stay within your budget and not skimp on anything i highly recommend an amd setup. illharmonics

I recommend a AMD/ATI build. You should be fine.

CrAzY1312

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 CrAzY1312
What AMD processor would you recommend?
CrAzY1312

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 CrAzY1312
Also ATI or Nvidia?
illharmonics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 illharmonics
go with ATI so you can keep that 800 budget. a 4850 will set you good. and as for the AMD processor you can really go anyway you want. we can recommend a dual core processor now but we can place it in a mainboard that is upgradeable to a quad core later on down the road if you want.
redneckdouglas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 redneckdouglas
Member since 2005 • 2977 Posts
A system is always based on your monitor. The bigger it is, the more power it needs.
marcthpro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#17 marcthpro
Member since 2003 • 7927 Posts
so true but to know that there benchmark and people like me to give information how to build a pc for such resolution at last if you want nice fps else spend less bu t still there must be a minimum for nice gaming at 1920x1200 with current game
AMDAtiFanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 AMDAtiFanboy
Member since 2008 • 67 Posts
may be this could do some recommendation... Processor AMD Athlon64 X2 Kuma 7750+ 2,7Ghz black edition Motherboards Biostar TFORCE TA770 A2+ Memory Patriot Signature Line 2Gb KIT DDR2 PC6400 Graphics Display HIS Radeon HD4830 512MB Western Digital harddrive 250GB SATA 2 LiteOn 20X DVDRW SATA optical drive Cooler Master Elite 334 case HEC Raptor 500P 500W Samsung 743NX 17 inch monitor Creative Inspire M2600 speaker Logitech G1 Gaming keyboard cheers :D