How much will a computer that will last 4 years from now cost?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Xeros606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Xeros606
Member since 2007 • 11126 Posts

How much?

To work with a frame of reference, how much would a computer that runs 2010 games decently cost in 2006?

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
There's no such thing. Even the most top of the line PC today will be crap in four years. The most a rig can hope to hold out for is three years, but even at two years you're going to start encountering games that give your system trouble.
ttobba07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 ttobba07
Member since 2005 • 2396 Posts

There's no such thing. Even the most top of the line PC today will be crap in four years. The most a rig can hope to hold out for is three years, but even at two years you're going to start encountering games that give your system trouble.gameguy6700

That's not true... I got my 8800gt in nov 2007 and Q9300 in may 2008. I can still max out pretty much any game and with specs being released on new games, I will still be flying along for another couple years pretty easily.

Greyfoo-t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Greyfoo-t
Member since 2010 • 151 Posts

[QUOTE="gameguy6700"]There's no such thing. Even the most top of the line PC today will be crap in four years. The most a rig can hope to hold out for is three years, but even at two years you're going to start encountering games that give your system trouble.ttobba07

That's not true... I got my 8800gt in nov 2007 and Q9300 in may 2008. I can still max out pretty much any game and with specs being released on new games, I will still be flying along for another couple years pretty easily.

I really doubt that your rig could max out games like Metro2033 with 50fps stableand as gameguy6700 wrote three years(yours is three years old) means your rig will become more and more obsolete as games become more and more demanding. Back in the days a good Pentium rig would hold out for years nowadays-and this tendency will only rise-whatever good pc you might have will go down much quicker.

So I agree todays top spec rig will be mediocre at best in four years time...

EDIT: names mixed up ooppppps...:)

Avatar image for UltimateGamer95
UltimateGamer95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 UltimateGamer95
Member since 2006 • 4720 Posts

How much?

To work with a frame of reference, how much would a computer that runs 2010 games decently cost in 2006?

Xeros606
well let's see a 2006 top of the line PC: CPU: AMD FX 62 2.8 GHz Motherboard: Nvidia 590 SLI RAM: 2GB Video Card: 8800 GTX Yeah a PC that old would probably be starting to feel the burn but only in Crysis and maybe Stalker really. Again it depends on what you will mostly play. but to answer your question probably like a $2000 PC
Greyfoo-t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Greyfoo-t

And as for how much a rig was back in 2006 theres just no point comparing, I mean a QX9650 was like a grand when it first came out(was it 2006 or 2007:?)now you can get it for 500quid...

Revitaly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Revitaly
Member since 2010 • 202 Posts

It's all about how much your willing to compromise over the years.

If your willing to turn the settings down over a long period of time then a high end PC with todays hardware will last for 4 years.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts
There is no point of having a top of the line PC if your intention is "future proof". Better getting fairly decent rig with non-overpriced hardware that is not being used by games and upgrading single components when you feel like it. It won't cost you a thing compared to having a top of the line PC.
Phenom316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Phenom316
Member since 2008 • 1650 Posts

yeah never got the top hardware anyways in a few months it goes down on price alot...and value.

take the LGA1366 socket or one of the X6s. and get one that will SLI but just get one great card. thats the best you could do. my 3800 dual core from 06 is stressing the hell out of me so thats the little i know.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
There is no point of having a top of the line PC if your intention is "future proof". Better getting fairly decent rig with non-overpriced hardware that is not being used by games and upgrading single components when you feel like it. It won't cost you a thing compared to having a top of the line PC.GazaAli
This is the truth. There could be tons of technological developments in the next 4 years like changing to different materials or just new methods of building chips, or it could be like the last 4 years and be relatively stale. We got more cores in 2006 and 07 but since then things have mostly just been getting smaller.
polarwrath11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 polarwrath11
Member since 2006 • 1676 Posts
If you bought a 360 in 2006, you can play ALL the games that are out in 2010 at exactly the same framerate as everyone else. I don't even know what I'm trying to say here btw.
Greyfoo-t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Greyfoo-t

If you bought a 360 in 2006, you can play ALL the games that are out in 2010 at exactly the same framerate as everyone else. I don't even know what I'm trying to say here btw.polarwrath11

ROFL not if it got rrod lol...

Xeros606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Xeros606
Hmm, maybe a lot of people don't understand my opinion on "decent performance"... To me, decent performance would be getting at least ~30FPS with none of the advanced lighting, effects, and AA, medium quality textures/draw distance, and at 720p resolution (1280 x 720). Obviously it depends on the game in question, so a game on the hypothetical 4 year old computer might run well, while another game might not even run at all... I guess this question is really going nowhere, what with all the variables getting involved. I was just wondering about why some people say PC gaming can be done on the cheap. I really question the "$600 rig" that always comes up in an argument about the price of PC gaming. How long would such a computer last? Also @ UG95: I have a computer roughly that powerful (Phenom II X3, 4GB RAM, 9800GT) and it can max Stalker easily. It does however struggle with Crysis.
Avatar image for UltimateGamer95
UltimateGamer95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 UltimateGamer95
Member since 2006 • 4720 Posts
[QUOTE="Xeros606"]Hmm, maybe a lot of people don't understand my opinion on "decent performance"... To me, decent performance would be getting at least ~30FPS with none of the advanced lighting, effects, and AA, medium quality textures/draw distance, and at 720p resolution (1280 x 720). Obviously it depends on the game in question, so a game on the hypothetical 4 year old computer might run well, while another game might not even run at all... I guess this question is really going nowhere, what with all the variables getting involved. I was just wondering about why some people say PC gaming can be done on the cheap. I really question the "$600 rig" that always comes up in an argument about the price of PC gaming. How long would such a computer last? Also @ UG95: I have a computer roughly that powerful (Phenom II X3, 4GB RAM, 9800GT) and it can max Stalker easily. It does however struggle with Crysis.

yeah the 9800 GT is still the best sub $100 card since the new ATI and Nvidia cards at that price only have a 128-bit memory interface yet the 9800 gt has a 256-bit memory interface, but yeah the other cards do have GDDR5. For the $600 rig it will last about 1.5 years maybe a tad bit more but it really depends on what you plan to play on it cause Valve games can run easily on all entry level hardware nowadays.
SamiRDuran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SamiRDuran
Member since 2005 • 2758 Posts
a $700 pc now + a 300$ upgrade in 2 years is way better than a 1000$ pc now to last for 4 years.
Xeros606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Xeros606
a $700 pc now + a 300$ upgrade in 2 years is way better than a 1000$ pc now to last for 4 years.SamiRDuran
Hmm, but what can you actually get with a $300 upgrade? Unless you don't plan on upgrading the CPU...
osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17839 Posts
if you want to build a future proof PC then you need to do two things 1) spend alot of money on the rig itself. spare no expense on the CPU, RAM and GPU especially. you wont need a top of the line mobo or ram mind. also dont skimp on the case..get a good case with good air flow. itll make the hardware last that bit longer. 2) use a monitor with a modest resolution like 1280X1024 or 1680X1050 or something liek that. if you have a monitor with 1920X1080 or higher then your PC wont last that long no matter how much you spend on it. playing at a non native res on a monitor is not ideal. thats how to get a PC to last as long as possible. towards year 3-4 you will still need to cut some corners in terms of settings though on some games released by then. also its very important to pick your moment. getting it just before the next consoles release is not a great idea since, at best, you will only be playing at console settings really..or maybe just a little better not great after spenging loads on a PC. do it a year or so after the new consoles have been released (no idea when that is)..that way your PC will have alot more grunt to deal with the latest games. then its about praying that your PC doesnt fail. thats what i did anywho. i spend the guts of 3000 euro on my last PC (that included monitor, speakers and so on). i called it fluffy :P. when i got it it was basically one of the most powerful PCs on the planet (8800GTX, 2GB of ram and a core 2 quad qx6700). i would still be using it today if it didnt break on me (see my blog for that fubar mess :S). the only game i got that caused it some trouble at max settings was GTA4 (which brings rings to their knees) and empire total war at max settings. i could play them well though with a few reductions in the settings. would i recommend it though? no. fulffy was a money no object project. i came into a bit of money and decided to just go nuts..budgets and sense be dammed. spend about 1000 on the tower and you will get excellent performance...probably about 80% of a top of the line rig. they only thing thatll really need an upgrade every 2 years or so after that is the GPU. though everyone should do a money no object PC at some point in their life..completly bonkers but also quite kewl :). just the once mind....no need to be overly crazy :P.
gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 gameguy6700
[QUOTE="osan0"]if you want to build a future proof PC then you need to do two things 1) spend alot of money on the rig itself. spare no expense on the CPU, RAM and GPU especially. you wont need a top of the line mobo or ram mind. also dont skimp on the case..get a good case with good air flow. itll make the hardware last that bit longer. 2) use a monitor with a modest resolution like 1280X1024 or 1680X1050 or something liek that. if you have a monitor with 1920X1080 or higher then your PC wont last that long no matter how much you spend on it. playing at a non native res on a monitor is not ideal.

No offense, but this is bad advice. If we assume that there are no technological advances in PC hardware for the next several years except for just an increase in processing power, then yes, an extremely powerful rig could last for a long time. However, that's rarely ever the case. Just to give one example, a new shader model could come out which would render even the 5970 unable to max out games simply because it lacks that feature. Hence why future proofing is impossible.
osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 osan0
[QUOTE="gameguy6700"][QUOTE="osan0"]if you want to build a future proof PC then you need to do two things 1) spend alot of money on the rig itself. spare no expense on the CPU, RAM and GPU especially. you wont need a top of the line mobo or ram mind. also dont skimp on the case..get a good case with good air flow. itll make the hardware last that bit longer. 2) use a monitor with a modest resolution like 1280X1024 or 1680X1050 or something liek that. if you have a monitor with 1920X1080 or higher then your PC wont last that long no matter how much you spend on it. playing at a non native res on a monitor is not ideal.

No offense, but this is bad advice. If we assume that there are no technological advances in PC hardware for the next several years except for just an increase in processing power, then yes, an extremely powerful rig could last for a long time. However, that's rarely ever the case. Just to give one example, a new shader model could come out which would render even the 5970 unable to max out games simply because it lacks that feature. Hence why future proofing is impossible.

which is why i said pick your moment to buy it...otherwise that can bite you on the backside. eg if a new DX is iminent dont get the first gen of that card...get the second gen if you can wait and get the very best version of it. when your trying to build a new PC to last 3-4 years then you will need to accept that new technologies and stuff will improve. the theory (and it mostly worked for me with my previous rig...until it broke :P) is that the very best of today will last if you give it some leeway in its later years. i also recommend against actually doing it but if you want a PC that will last 3-4 years and have no intention of upgrading it after getting it then that, i think, is the best solution.
gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 gameguy6700
[QUOTE="osan0"][QUOTE="gameguy6700"][QUOTE="osan0"]if you want to build a future proof PC then you need to do two things 1) spend alot of money on the rig itself. spare no expense on the CPU, RAM and GPU especially. you wont need a top of the line mobo or ram mind. also dont skimp on the case..get a good case with good air flow. itll make the hardware last that bit longer. 2) use a monitor with a modest resolution like 1280X1024 or 1680X1050 or something liek that. if you have a monitor with 1920X1080 or higher then your PC wont last that long no matter how much you spend on it. playing at a non native res on a monitor is not ideal.

which is why i said pick your moment to buy it...otherwise that can bite you on the backside. eg if a new DX is iminent dont get the first gen of that card...get the second gen if you can wait and get the very best version of it. when your trying to build a new PC to last 3-4 years then you will need to accept that new technologies and stuff will improve. the theory (and it mostly worked for me with my previous rig...until it broke :P) is that the very best of today will last if you give it some leeway in its later years. i also recommend against actually doing it but if you want a PC that will last 3-4 years and have no intention of upgrading it after getting it then that, i think, is the best solution.

But that's the thing, you never know when some of this stuff is around the corner. For all we know there could be an announcement tomorrow that some new hardware feature is going to get implemented in (insert part here) that instantly renders everything out right now obsolete.
osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 osan0
[QUOTE="gameguy6700"][QUOTE="osan0"][QUOTE="gameguy6700"] No offense, but this is bad advice. If we assume that there are no technological advances in PC hardware for the next several years except for just an increase in processing power, then yes, an extremely powerful rig could last for a long time. However, that's rarely ever the case. Just to give one example, a new shader model could come out which would render even the 5970 unable to max out games simply because it lacks that feature. Hence why future proofing is impossible.

But that's the thing, you never know when some of this stuff is around the corner. For all we know there could be an announcement tomorrow that some new hardware feature is going to get implemented in (insert part here) that instantly renders everything out right now obsolete.

i think we could be getting our wires crossed. do you consider a future proof PC to be one that will have the most advanced tech for X amount of years...or do you consider it one that will endure and deliver for X amount fo years? if its the former then your right. you cant buy/build a PC that will have the latest tech for 3-4 years. if its a PC that will endure though then i stand by my strategy. itll get out of date but itll deliver...mostly :).
Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

Q6xxx from 4 yrs ago (?)

and Two 8800 from 3 yrs ago

4gb of ram

eh not too bad

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 gameguy6700
[QUOTE="osan0"][QUOTE="gameguy6700"][QUOTE="osan0"] which is why i said pick your moment to buy it...otherwise that can bite you on the backside. eg if a new DX is iminent dont get the first gen of that card...get the second gen if you can wait and get the very best version of it. when your trying to build a new PC to last 3-4 years then you will need to accept that new technologies and stuff will improve. the theory (and it mostly worked for me with my previous rig...until it broke :P) is that the very best of today will last if you give it some leeway in its later years. i also recommend against actually doing it but if you want a PC that will last 3-4 years and have no intention of upgrading it after getting it then that, i think, is the best solution.

i think we could be getting our wires crossed. do you consider a future proof PC to be one that will have the most advanced tech for X amount of years...or do you consider it one that will endure and deliver for X amount fo years? if its the former then your right. you cant buy/build a PC that will have the latest tech for 3-4 years. if its a PC that will endure though then i stand by my strategy. itll get out of date but itll deliver...mostly :).

I am talking about one that will endure for years. The reason why I specifically bring up shader models is because that is exactly what happened to me when I bought an x800 pro. It had SM2.0 and then right afterward, boom SM3.0 comes out. Even though the GPU had the power to play games with high or maxed settings, some games I would have to play at a lower quality tier or turn off graphics features because they used SM3.0 which my card couldn't do. As another example if you bought a dual core CPU with the last couple of years you're about to be screwed because the industry is currently in the middle of transitioning to using only quad core CPUs for games. You assume that raw power is all you'll need from hardware in order to run a game at a particular setting. In reality what determines whether or not you can play at a particular setting or even play a game at all is not only if your GPU has the power to handle the game's demands but whether or not it is even capable of understanding what those demands are in the first place.
Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

^To be fair all the advances in graphics that require new hardware had all been gradual steps from each gen and had not rendered any hardware obsolete in a blink of an eye. Like Dx11 is taking its time releasing its games. Even with an exclusive tech like Physx you still see Ati around and you wouldnt be calling that useless now? A great card can still hang onto low/med settings way down the road, just less nick-nacks and the latest stuff, at least thats what the past tells.

Paying the highest bucks to future proof is the dumbest thing, the reason why the flagship card is at that price way up there is to entice the most hardcore of users along with their money. Only they are willing to pay that much, for little gains over there lesser sister cards.

My take, it may not be the best, but is my arbitration take on the mid ground, buy a computer that you expect to keep 3-4 years, buy medium budget parts and upgrade them halfway through. 1000 bucks should be the budget of a gaming desktop, and oh yeah invest in a good sound system.. cheapy 2.0 are lame if you spent that much already.

kodyoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 kodyoo
Member since 2010 • 258 Posts

In 4 years SSDs will be all the rage, since they aren't really realistically available right now at a reasonable price, you will inevitably be behind the curve in 4 years if you have a normal HDD today.

I suspect the same will go with a lot of other hardware choices.