how much do pc gamers care about graphics?

• 92 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c009341336cd
deactivated-5c009341336cd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5c009341336cd
Member since 2004 • 1855 Posts

it seems to me that other than having crysis as bragging right for best graphics there really isnt as much care for graphics on pc as on consoles.

has anyone else notices this. especially with all the praise stalker gets even tho it doesnt hav good graphics.

Avatar image for OilySuperWillie
OilySuperWillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 OilySuperWillie
Member since 2010 • 157 Posts

i play almost every modern game i have even if I don't have to with stuff turned down just to get extra performance

I can deal with bad graphics but still prefer it to look somewhat nice

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#3 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
Stalker has a cult fan base. Take it with a grain of salt. But I do care about graphics as much as atmosphere, attention to detail, gameplay, good story, character development, you see where I'm going with this. Yes, I care a lot about the graphics. But games like Cryostasis that boast awesome visuals need to go away. That game looked horrible. Other games like Metro 2033 really captured the atmosphere and nailed the graphics department. As for multiplatform games, the PC version usually gets shafted with no DLC support or a bad port... but overall, they look more crisp, sharper, clearer, with better textures, obviously. The difference is really noticeable.
robokill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 robokill
Member since 2007 • 1392 Posts

i play almost every modern game i have even if I don't have to with stuff turned down just to get extra performance

I can deal with bad graphics

OilySuperWillie

really? because I have a 3 year old computer and I'm playing batman: AA with everything cranked to the max and it's gorgeous on my 42' tv. Any computer built within the last few years should be able to produce great graphics if you know how to take of your pc. Optimize the hd partitions, kill all the useless services, get the best drivers and you should almost never have to sacrifice (unless it's crysis)

DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts

That's because stalker is good game so it gets alot of praise. And i never understood the complaints about stalkers graphics. Shadow of Chernobyl looked fantastic especially at night and underground when all the dynamic lights come into effect. Now it does have it weakness since it uses an older engine but the visual design is superb.

robokill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 robokill
Member since 2007 • 1392 Posts
who criticizes stalkers graphics??? anyone who does obviously hasn't played it because it's one of the best out there in terms of atmosphere
Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Iantheone
Member since 2007 • 8242 Posts
I dont really care about the graphics, but its nice having the best out there.
Avatar image for deactivated-6243ee9902175
deactivated-6243ee9902175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-6243ee9902175
Member since 2007 • 5847 Posts

My best looking game installed is Oblivion even though I can run Crysis maxed, looks don't matter at all.

kdawg88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 kdawg88
Member since 2009 • 2923 Posts

especially with all the praise stalker gets even tho it doesnt hav good graphics.

tmgwarrior72

What about the praise Deus Ex gets, or for that matter System Shock 2 and Thief? I mean, if you think STALKER looks bad... I'd say PC gamers are most of the time not too fussy about what the game looks like given that a lot of older games have small but dedicated communities. That said, when you look at people who think that a PC that can't run Crysis is inferior, then it's safe to say that PC gamers are really not so different to console gamers in terms of caring about how visually pleasing a game is.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

As long as I can run at my monitor's native resolution, whatever it is, I'm happy. Graphics are great and all but I'd rather have a clear picture and not an upscaled one. PC does have the best graphics, and I'm fine paying extra for a better experience.

Avatar image for hartsickdiscipl
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 hartsickdiscipl
Member since 2003 • 14787 Posts

Graphics matter to me, but not nearly as much as a game just being fun. I'm not satisfied with my PC unless I can play all the games I want or own at 90% detail or higher. Obviously those games at those settings on PC look far better than console games. I just don't see a reason to sacrifice graphics when it's not that expensive to build a PC capable of running most games on high settings for a couple of years. To the OP- there are TONs of great-looking PC games. Far Cry 2 is gorgeous on PC with the settings cranked. Bad Company 2 looks much better on PC, World in Conflict has really great graphics (and that's from 2007).. Mass Effect 2 looks amazing on PC at max settings. Metro 2033 has incredible graphics. The list goes on and on. Nvidia and AMD wouldn't keep cranking out new graphics cards that sometimes cost in excess of $400 if PC gamers weren't interested in graphics.

On the other hand, I still play old games with dated graphics too, just because they're great games. Jedi Outcast and Academy, Bridge Commander, Elite Force 2.. A great game is a great game.

Avatar image for rpgs_shall_rule
rpgs_shall_rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 rpgs_shall_rule
Member since 2006 • 1943 Posts
I only really care about graphics in my newer games, though I will run everything at the highest setting I can.
Bjorkfund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Bjorkfund
Member since 2010 • 127 Posts

I care, about graphics, i really do.

But modern games graphically dont look good, they just look shiny, and i hate that.

So i actually prefer some older graphics than all the g*y stuff coming out these days.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#15 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

I care, about graphics, i really do.

But modern games graphically dont look good, they just look shiny, and i hate that.

So i actually prefer some older graphics than all the g*y stuff coming out these days.

Bjorkfund
Agreed on the shiny, slimy, "someone splashed water on the surface" graphics. :P
CellAnimation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 CellAnimation
Member since 2007 • 6116 Posts
I care enough about graphics to buy 2 GTX 480s and SLI them, that's my limit though. I care exactly 2 480s worth!
Avatar image for mouthforbathory
mouthforbathory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 mouthforbathory
Member since 2006 • 2114 Posts

Graphics do matter to me. It's good to have a system that can enable all the graphics options and run 1080p in order to get the full effect of the vision of the developers. As far as just being eye candy goes, I do like it, I will admit that, though gameplay of course goes a longer way. Still everything needs to coincide with everything else to create a good product. Graphics, gameplay, controls, interface, etc. Graphics are still somewhat subjective though as you can have different art styles, and sometimes it really just depends on just having good art. Take BF2 for instance. It's not jarring to the eyes because DICE at the time made good use of the hardware graphics techniques available, giving the game a nice clean look that still looks relatively good even these days. They also did a wonderful job modeling and texturing the game and that goes a long way to keep a game graphically good looking in comparison to everything else. Another good example would be Metal Gear Solid 3. Kojima and Co. sure did push the PS2 to it's limits, but made the game around those limitations, modeling everything quite excellently. Textures were good too (for a PS2 game) and the team made sure to include the "little things" to keep the environment interesting and on a low resolution TV set, it maintains the stance of looking realistic. Good graphics just can't be done with bad artists. Crytek has excellent artists, and whether you like Crysis or not, the sheer amount of detail that goes into rendering the environment is amazing. Subsurface scattering and transparencies on plant leaves make the vegetation in Crysis the best looking, the way plants/grass/trees quiver in the wind looks amazing and makes them the best "acting" in any game IMO. Graphics are a big part of the immersion, so it's imperative that a game looks good from the artistic standpoint. You look at another title like Zenoclash, and you can very much appreciate the freakish realistic + fantasy look to it because the artists took the time to make it blend together nicely.

I think many of the people who play up the "graphics don't matter bit" are kidding themselves. Yes, it's not everything, but it sure is damn important, and not just for making realistic looking games.

testfactor888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 testfactor888
Member since 2010 • 7157 Posts
Gameplay and Story matter to me alot more than Graphics. Graphics would be 4th on my list of things I care about in a video game. The 3rd being that it isn't filled with bugs
wooooode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 wooooode
Member since 2002 • 16666 Posts
It is just a system wars thing for the most part. I think just about every game to come out in the last 5 years has been more than sufficiant in graphics.
Drosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Drosa
Member since 2004 • 3136 Posts

I prefer strong art direction to shiny graphics. A good art director can do far more for the believablity of the game world then any amount of HD graphics can ever hope to do.

HD graphics seem to do more for increasing production costs and the complexity of the game engine (a.k.a.more ways to break)then to improve the player experience. I am willing to bet most games with HD graphics would have been better gaming experiences without it because the game probably would have run better.

XXI_World

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#21 XXI_World
Member since 2008 • 2050 Posts

I don't mind sacrificing a few FPS (as long as it's about 35 FPS minimum) for better textures and model. My graphics priority is usually Textures > Model > Field of vision > FPS > AA > AF. My processor sucks though, so I can't max many games.

edinsftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 edinsftw
Member since 2009 • 4243 Posts

I don't mind sacrificing a few FPS (as long as it's about 35 FPS minimum) for better textures and model. My graphics priority is usually Textures > Model > Field of vision > FPS > AA > AF. My processor sucks though, so I can't max many games.

XXI_World

Hmm, for me its Textures=Models>AF>AA...i dont have to worry about fps though xD

the_mitch28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 the_mitch28
Member since 2005 • 4684 Posts

there really isnt as much care for graphics on pc as on consoles.

tmgwarrior72

That's because if you goto places like system wars PC gamers know the PC has the best graphics.. they don't exactly need to try and prove it with side by side comparisonslooking for infinitesimal differences like the 360 and PS3 crowd do.

There's no point arguing over something that's not in dispute.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#24 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
Its related with perfomance personally. If it looks and runs like crap, then i am pisssed. If it looks bad and it asks for more, then i am pissed. In conclusion, it gotta look decent but it it perfoms amazingly well that means that its not aiming for graphics, so i dont mind at all. But all those wannabe great games possing with good graphics and crap pefomance are really putting me off. Anyway, point is framerate is more important.
Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

it seems to me that other than having crysis as bragging right for best graphics there really isnt as much care for graphics on pc as on consoles.

has anyone else notices this. especially with all the praise stalker gets even tho it doesnt hav good graphics.

tmgwarrior72

i don't thats true, pc graphics are waaaaaay better than consoles if you have the right pc, the example you are using is from a game that was released too late due to pushbacks and technical problems so the engine looked outdated when it came out, still the game was great and still is great, it's just some games are great for their gameplay and the graphics side can be good or bad, but usually pc > console in graphics, just check dragon age or mass effect, they look better on pc

mirgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 mirgamer
Member since 2003 • 2489 Posts

tmgwarrior72
PC gamers, like every other human beings, have different tastes. Some are obsessed by having the most maxed graphics while others are more "Well if it looks good, then it looks good". Then you have to take accounts of the multiple genres spread across the platform. But obviously the interest for high-end graphics are high enough to warrant both Nvidia and ATI to be at each other's neck and pumping out new gen graphics cards year after year.
Daytona_178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 Daytona_178
Member since 2005 • 14962 Posts

Good graphics is by no means needed to make a great game,,,,but having good graphics improves the game.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Not enough to have upgraded since 2007 tbh.
Daytona_178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29 Daytona_178
Member since 2005 • 14962 Posts
Not enough to have upgraded since 2007 tbh.skrat_01
To be honest I kinda regret upgrading my 8800GT to my 5850! I should have waited another 6-12 months really.
dedumdedoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 dedumdedoo
Member since 2008 • 120 Posts
I expect realistic games to have realistic graphics. Where as if it's casual, because of it's different art style, it can get away with it more often. I usually forget about the graphics when I'm playing though.
ProudLarry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31 ProudLarry
Member since 2004 • 13511 Posts
[QUOTE="skrat_01"]Not enough to have upgraded since 2007 tbh.Daytona_178
To be honest I kinda regret upgrading my 8800GT to my 5850! I should have waited another 6-12 months really.

I wouldn't have replaced my 8800GT either if it hadn't died on me.
sakshamH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 sakshamH
Member since 2010 • 352 Posts
I dont really care about the graphics, but its nice having the best out there.Iantheone
Hit the nail on the head there.
Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

As a whole, I think PC gamers cares less about graphics because graphics are not used to measure the power of our PCs, Everyone knows that the PC are far the best in the graphics department, IF one wants it to, those who did not opt for that kind og graphics, we´re the ones that chose not to.

So we do not have the obvious insecurity that the console graphics group has, since we chose and pick our platform, they have a set piece, and to pour fuel to the fire, there are two nearly identical consoles, so they always compete. (hence the console graphics king thing)

I do think TC is right tho, most PC gamers I know do not really care a whole lot about graphics, more about the gameplay, sound and flexibility of a game or game engine. (I still play UFO: Defence on a weekly basis ;) )

Gooeykat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#34 Gooeykat
Member since 2006 • 3412 Posts

tmgwarrior72
Well nearly every game that is a multi-platform title looks best on PC, there are very few exceptions. As far as your question goes, for me it is important but not the most important. I am older and have a good job and can afford a good gaming rig and plenty of games, so to say it isn't important at all wouldn't be accurate. I would say...Gameplay first, Graphics second.
Kh1ndjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Kh1ndjal
Member since 2003 • 2788 Posts
"gameplay matters to me more than graphics" i hate it when people say this. gameplay is a given, you don't buy games if you don't like the gameplay. you don't buy food that looks good but tastes bad, or a musical instrument that isn't tuned but looks good, or a novel with a crap story but high quality paper. if you bought a game i am going to assume there was something in the gameplay department that appealed to you, you don't have to tell me that. it's a GAME, i know! and yes, graphics are important to me. that doesn't mean i don't play game with bad graphics, i certainly do, but there is a threshold to the lack of graphics i can tolerate. i don't want to play a FPS where the weapon i am looking at is a sprite, no matter what.
Gooeykat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Gooeykat
"You don't buy games if you don't like the gameplay" I've bought plenty of games in which I thought I would like the gameplay but it turns out to be not as satisfying as I thought it would be. For the most part I like FPS, but not all are created equal and watching gameplay trailers is not the same as playing the game for several hours to find out what it is really like.
Vholch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Vholch
Member since 2009 • 41 Posts

Im more for good story than graphics.

I still play Baldurs Gate just because of the story.

Even though I heard Planescape: Tornment have the ultimate story, I couldnt play it cause a mod for BG, actually have worse graphics and gameplay than the orignal game.

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

I mostly play role-playing games so graphics have never really been a big priority for me. Heck, I still play and enjoy many older RPGs (Fallout, Arcanum, Wizardry, Might and Magic, etc.) that, at least by modern standards, look absolutely primitive.

Kh1ndjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Kh1ndjal
[QUOTE="Gooeykat"]"You don't buy games if you don't like the gameplay" I've bought plenty of games in which I thought I would like the gameplay but it turns out to be not as satisfying as I thought it would be. For the most part I like FPS, but not all are created equal and watching gameplay trailers is not the same as playing the game for several hours to find out what it is really like.

yes, but you bought the game because you thought you would like the gameplay, or because you hoped you would like the gameplay. that was what i was trying to say in my post. let me add that people normally continue to play a game because they like the gameplay, and they normally stop playing if and when the gameplay doesn't appeal to them, in case there are further misunderstandings. let's not get into technicalities here, and say that you bought a game because you wanted a beta code for another, or that you caved into peer pressure or whatever. gameplay is generally the deciding factor in purchasing and playing games, and saying you prefer gameplay over graphics is pointless and silly. when you buy a wristwatch you don't say you prefer looks over timekeeping, the timekeeping IS the watch, without it, you don't have a watch, you just have a silly thing on your wrist with weird numbers/hands.
Lox_Cropek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#40 Lox_Cropek
Member since 2008 • 3555 Posts

I care for the graphics a lot, but it's not the most important. It's in the top 5 though.

madmenno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#41 madmenno
Member since 2004 • 1528 Posts
I have no interest in graphics, i play anything black and white with objects of 6 polygons max as long as the gameplay is good.
Gladestone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Gladestone1
Member since 2004 • 5695 Posts

Grew up with pong an atari..What do i care about graphics..Best space game ive ever played till this day is still defender..Was simple fun an still holds its own..Shame some one wont do it justice an bring it to todays graphics..Dont get me wrong i love good graphics games..How ever with out game-play graphics are nothing..What i hate even more are those games that are 10 hours only..That bothers me more than any thing..Just finished played fable 3 was a good game but wow short as hell..So i brought it back an got my full moneys worth with my reciet..With that said i picked up the keyboard great invesment for me..Played fable an got my money back an picked up a piano lol..How ever people still play diablo 2 after all these years..Why you say because the games still fantastic..Baldurs gate 2 is still played even though the games graphics are so out dated..Ive heard that some one is remaking it with dragon ages engine..Hope this is true..Hope its done soon also..Not sure how the party is going to work..Dragon ages system doesnt let you have a six party player base..Ill still play dungien keeper 2..Simcity 4 till this day..No one has come close to remaking a decent simcity game..

Graphics dont mean squat..Ill upgrade my card every 4 years though..Just to keep up with being able to run the new games on high..

Gooeykat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Gooeykat
...saying you prefer gameplay over graphics is pointless and silly. when you buy a wristwatch you don't say you prefer looks over timekeeping, the timekeeping IS the watch, without it, you don't have a watch, you just have a silly thing on your wrist with weird numbers/hands.Kh1ndjal
Some do prefer looks over timekeeping (Rolex vs. Timex), some gamers prefer UT3 over UT2004 even though the later is superior in every way. Some people are willing to go with an inferior or slightly inferior product if it means it looks better. People do this all time, why do you think some buy Macs? I think when people say they prefer gameplay over graphics they are saying they prefer substance over style. There's nothing wrong with either one, I don't want to stare at an ugly game for hours on end, nobody does, but when it comes down to it, I would take slightly lesser graphics if it means the gameplay is superior.
Animatronic64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Animatronic64
Member since 2010 • 3971 Posts

Enough to buy a GTX 470. But that's not to say that I won't play old games or something. I'm currently playing Grand Theft Auto III, and we all know how amazing the graphics are in that.

Kh1ndjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Kh1ndjal

Some do prefer looks over timekeeping (Rolex vs. Timex), some gamers prefer UT3 over UT2004 even though the later is superior in every way.Gooeykat
perhaps you are right. however, i find it hard to believe people will play a game that has worse gameplay (in their opinion) even if it does have better graphics. from personal experience, often being what some would call a "graphics nut" it takes far too much effort to play a game with worse gameplay over another with better unless there is a significant problem (bad controls, for example). i am an avid shooter fan, and having played games like blacksite:area 51 and the scourge project, which look quite good, i cannot imagine playing them when i can play, for example, counter strike 1.6 even with bots.

i suppose there is a threshold for bad gameplay that people can tolerate. however, i believe it is low enough not to be worth considering. there may be some truth to what you are saying, considering how well heavy rain did (does it have even have gameplay?). as for macs, i would say people who them consider them to be a superior product, and i doubt any mac user will say "macs are worse than PCs for me, but i bought one for the aesthetics". if someone goes for graphics over gameplay, in their opinion, gameplay is still better or equal.

i think i may be very wrong but i think if i think too much about it my head will explode.

sozar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#47 sozar
Member since 2003 • 428 Posts

I love playing games with high quality graphics but what made me hate graphics,developers these days spend to much time focusing on graphics and physics making so much delays in release date for example in 1997 Final fantasy 7 was released in 1998 FF8 and in 1999 FF9 each game had good story lots of secrets and areas to explore, but now we get crappy linear FF game each 3 years with good graphic quality.

XIntoTheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 XIntoTheBlue
Member since 2009 • 1070 Posts

It largely depends on the game. I don't like to think graphics and gameplay/story are mutually exclusive to one another. If devs utilize the potential graphics can offer, then they can couple that with the story/immersion real well. Amnesia is delivering well on that so far from what I've played. Stalker does well using the graphics to portray good atmosphere. I can only imagine how it could have made Deus Ex even better than it is if Ion Storm provided a strong engine that could portray its atmosphere in quite a fitting way.

That said, I will admit that even if graphics hit that objective, and the game falls flat on story and/or gameplay, then the graphics, however good, will mean nothing. On the other side of the coin, if a game has relative poor graphics, but the gameplay/story is nailed solid, the game is still great (i.e. Deus Ex).

cyborg100000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 cyborg100000
Member since 2005 • 2905 Posts

I don't mind them as long as they're memorable and make the game stand out a bit. I don't even mind Deus Ex as it has plenty of character and memorable places but something like FEAR or Rogue Warrior then I find them bland.

-Shooter-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 -Shooter-
Member since 2006 • 4295 Posts

I'm used to crappy graphics, as I've always had a crappy PC. Graphics are a nice bonus though :P