How in the world do you install the heatsink?!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ShaineTheNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ShaineTheNerd
Member since 2012 • 1578 Posts
I got the AMD FX 8120 CPU. I'm using the stock heatsink. HOW THE HELL DO I PUT IT ON THE DAMN CPU?! I've tried and tried, followed YouTube videos, blah blah. They make it look so easy. Am I doing something wrong? I slide one side under one tab, and then I go to slide the other side (with the lever) under the tab, but it won't reach. How do I do this? I appreciate any help.
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

Is there a little lever?

buccomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 buccomatic
Member since 2005 • 1941 Posts

I got the AMD FX 8120 CPU. I'm using the stock heatsink. HOW THE HELL DO I PUT IT ON THE DAMN CPU?! I've tried and tried, followed YouTube videos, blah blah. They make it look so easy. Am I doing something wrong? I slide one side under one tab, and then I go to slide the other side (with the lever) under the tab, but it won't reach. How do I do this? I appreciate any help. ShaineTheNerd
are you putting it on backwards maybe? i had a friend that did that on an old amd athlon socket motherboard and it wouldn't boot lol!

warriorlax1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 warriorlax1234
Member since 2003 • 338 Posts

Is the motherboard missing the white or another color plastic "base" that contains the over hanging clips that the heatsink latches too? I know that if you had aftermarket heatsink that uses no clips, and a different mounting bracket, you may need to revert back if your trying to use the included heatsink. 

ShaineTheNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ShaineTheNerd

Is there a little lever?

kraken2109
Yes there is.
ShaineTheNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ShaineTheNerd

[QUOTE="ShaineTheNerd"]I got the AMD FX 8120 CPU. I'm using the stock heatsink. HOW THE HELL DO I PUT IT ON THE DAMN CPU?! I've tried and tried, followed YouTube videos, blah blah. They make it look so easy. Am I doing something wrong? I slide one side under one tab, and then I go to slide the other side (with the lever) under the tab, but it won't reach. How do I do this? I appreciate any help. buccomatic

are you putting it on backwards maybe? i had a friend that did that on an old amd athlon socket motherboard and it wouldn't boot lol!

I have it on right I believe. Should the lever face the bottom or top of the MOBO?
ShaineTheNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ShaineTheNerd

Is the motherboard missing the white or another color plastic "base" that contains the over hanging clips that the heatsink latches too? I know that if you had aftermarket heatsink that uses no clips, and a different mounting bracket, you may need to revert back if your trying to use the included heatsink. 

warriorlax1234
No, it's perfect. Has everything.
msfan1289

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 msfan1289
Member since 2011 • 1044 Posts

ummm look at the instructions that came with it?

warriorlax1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 warriorlax1234

I got an idea, Provide us with the make/model of the motherboard you got and we'll see what we got then

ShaineTheNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ShaineTheNerd

I got an idea, Provide us with the make/model of the motherboard you got and we'll see what we got then

warriorlax1234
ASRock 980DE3/U3S3
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I'm holding an AM3 heatsink right now.

The first part which is making sure the non-lever side of the latch is secure on the lever catch (on the CPU socket) should be a no-brainer.

The second part:

While tying to keep the heatsink level on the CPU, you have to pull upward on the now fastened non-lever side of the latch at the same time  pushing it towards the lever side as much as you can, keeping that side under a lot of tension. While that's going on, you're pushing down (and away from the heatsink) on the lever side, trying to make it catch. Once the latter catches, carefully lock the lever.

Socket939/AM3/AM3+  aren't the easiest. But, compared to Socket 7 and Socket A, they're a piece of cake. With Socket 7 and Socket A, accidentally crushing the CPU was a real possibility. 

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jun_aka_pekto

This probably is a silly question. But, the motherboard isn't inside the case yet, correct? He He. Just had to ask.

warriorlax1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 warriorlax1234

Okay so looking at the zoomed in pic on newegg, I can that it has standard plastic "static" mold for the heat sink to clip on. Now, we need if you can please, a pic of the heat sink itself, clips, as many details as possible.

ShaineTheNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ShaineTheNerd

The first part which is making sure the non-lever side of the latch is secure on the lever catch (on the CPU socket) should be a no-brainer.

The second part:

While tying to keep the heatsink level on the CPU, you have to pull upward on the now fastened non-lever side of the latch at the same time  pushing it towards the lever side as much as you can, keeping that side under a lot of tension. While that's going on, you're pushing down (and away from the heatsink) on the lever side, trying to make it catch. Once the latter catches, carefully lock the lever.

Socket939/AM3/AM3+  aren't the easiest. But, compared to Socket 7 and Socket A, they're a piece of cake. With Socket 7 and Socket A, accidentally crushing the CPU was a real possibility. 

jun_aka_pekto
I got it... But trying to turn the lever makes me feel like I'm going to break it off...
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jun_aka_pekto

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

The second part:

ShaineTheNerd

I got it... But trying to turn the lever makes me feel like I'm going to break it off...

That's why you lock the lever nice n slow.  Them cheap plastic (on the bundled HSF) locks. Many 3rd-party ones have lever locks made of metal. It's still a lot better than the (reeeally) cheap plastic screws that came with my LGA 775 Celeron E3400 from a while back.

ShaineTheNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ShaineTheNerd
Let me ask you one more question while you're here: why is my CPU fan incredibly loud? I boot my PC and at first it's fine, but after a few minutes pass, the CPU fan gets very loud. I don't even have to do anything for it to do this. All of my parts are brand new -- this is first build and every part was just ordered.
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 jun_aka_pekto

Let me ask you one more question while you're here: why is my CPU fan incredibly loud? I boot my PC and at first it's fine, but after a few minutes pass, the CPU fan gets very loud. I don't even have to do anything for it to do this. All of my parts are brand new -- this is first build and every part was just ordered.ShaineTheNerd

Cheap fan. Cheap heatsink. I'm using a 3rd-party HSF with my FX-8350. It's pretty quiet. The CPU the 8350 replaced is a Phenom II X3 720BE. For that one, I used the 8350's default HSF. It's loud as hell. :lol:

But, I'm too lazy to buy another 3rd-party HSF.

ShaineTheNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ShaineTheNerd
Well thank you for the help. I appreciate it.
msfan1289

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 msfan1289
Member since 2011 • 1044 Posts

Let me ask you one more question while you're here: why is my CPU fan incredibly loud? I boot my PC and at first it's fine, but after a few minutes pass, the CPU fan gets very loud. I don't even have to do anything for it to do this. All of my parts are brand new -- this is first build and every part was just ordered.ShaineTheNerd

have you made sure the thermal paste is still intact, and apply correctly? stock fans do get loud

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

Look in your BIOS for some kinda of auto fan speed setting

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
Member since 2007 • 17401 Posts
lol the stock amd cooler is the biggest pain in the ass to install. Good luck
Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#22 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11793 Posts

[QUOTE="ShaineTheNerd"]Let me ask you one more question while you're here: why is my CPU fan incredibly loud? I boot my PC and at first it's fine, but after a few minutes pass, the CPU fan gets very loud. I don't even have to do anything for it to do this. All of my parts are brand new -- this is first build and every part was just ordered.msfan1289

have you made sure the thermal paste is still intact, and apply correctly? stock fans do get loud

I would say this is could be a big factor.  Not too much thermal paste, and not too little, though I think its easier to use too much, than too little imo.

That and the case fans, are they pulling/pushing enough air? (clean?)

nicecall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#23 nicecall
Member since 2013 • 528 Posts
... But trying to turn the lever makes me feel like I'm going to break it off...ShaineTheNerd
I've put several of these heatsinks on throughout the years and always have had that same feeling, especially since it does require a fairly good amount of tension to get it on there, just follow instructions and you can't fail. I really prefer the way corsair or other coolers have it set so you just screw on the heatsink to a backplate on the motherboard... the h110 even had it so it automatically stops tightening so its impossible to over tighten the screws on them.
Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16617 Posts

yeah those old style lever HSF take some getting used to.  You need to make sure that the cpu is aligned properly in the socket, ie triangle to triangle.  Then align the HSF onto the cpu in the correct orientation.  Usually the orientation is so that the fan wire needs to be able to reach the connector on the mobo in the shortest distance.  Also make sure you take off any plastic covers on the hsf before putting it ontop of the cpu.

After that apply a good amount of pressure on the lever and latch it down under the hook, and then you're done.  The new intel HSF have a plug in design, Id say those are also a PITA but definitely they're better than the old lever style.  I also appreciate that intel decided to get rid of the pins on their cpus so you couldn't damage them.